PDA

View Full Version : A brand new spell I thought up [3.5, Spell, PEACH]

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-05, 04:22 PM
I was watch the season 5 finale of Sons Of Anarchy and a part of it gave me an idea for a spell.

Summon backup
Conjuration
Level: Sorc/Wiz 5, Cleric 5, Paladin/Blackguard 4, Archivist 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: Full Round Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Effect: One Physical Ally/2 levels

As you focus on your ally, a number of other creatures that almost resemble him appear on the field of battle

This spell conjurers up one creature per two caster levels (Max five creatures at CL 10). The creatures are physical and real. The creatures' flesh feels papery and the blood is thin and watery. They are not usable as a substitute for actual flesh and blood.

The creatures are summoned within the range, as dictated above, but they can leave it if required. The creatures have a hit dice equal to half your caster level, with average HP per HD.

The creatures conjured are an obvious replica of the willing being used as a focus. The creatures retain the Type and Subtype of the Focus, additionally creatures loose all Spells, Spell-like, Supernatural and Extraordinary abilities.

Any feats that grant Spell-like, Supernatural or Extraordinary abilities do not function, although the creature still possesses them.

However, a Monk's (Or similar's) Unarmed Damage Progression and any class based AC bonus (Such as Wis to AC). Additionally, they retain any Natural armour, but only if it came from a Natural or Extraordinary source.

The creature also keeps all permanent (I.e, they did NOT come from Spells/Spell Likes or from worn or carried Magic Items) bonuses to AC and Saves, regardless of source.

The gear that they appear with is the same as the gear of the creature that is used as a focus. However, all magical items are copied in a mundane form, and all alchemical items are copied in an inert form. If removed from the creature, it disappears and then reappears on the creature.

The conjured warriors respond totally to your commands and to the commands of any creature you designate as an ally, designating creatures is done as part of the spell, but they will act on their own if given general instructions, such as "Guard this place" or "Let no one without the password through". In the case of conflicting orders, the creature obeys the caster.

The conjured beings act on your initiative count and disappear, along with their gear, if killed.

Focus: Even if it is cast as a divine spell, the Caster requires a willing ally who's current HP is 1 or greater who is in range (See the Range section of this spell), you count as your own ally for the purposes of this spell, to be used as a focus. If the ally's hit dice is less than half the caster's caster level then the HD for the copy is equal to the focus'.

Morcleon
2013-04-05, 09:07 PM
Level: Sorc/Wiz ?, Cleric ?, Paladin/Blackguard ?, other classes? ?

I'd put it at Sorc/Wiz 5, Cleric 5, Paladin 4, Blackguard 4. At minimum, it should be 5, 4 for those who don't have 5th level spells. It looks to be a weaker version of body outside body, which is a 7th level Wu Jen spell.

Target: You

How would you summon an ally of someone else then? I'd make it "You or another ally".

This spell conjurers up one creature per two caster levels (Max five creatures at CL 10). The creatures are physical and real, as if they were flesh and blood.

Are they flesh and blood though?

The creatures are summoned within the range, as dictated above, but they can leave it if required. The creatures have a hit dice equal to half your caster level, with average HP per HD. The creatures conjured are an obvious replica of the willing being used as a focus, however, these replicas only retain the Type and Subtype, BAB, Feats (Excluding feats like Shape Soulmeld or Martial Study), Saves, Ability Scores (All adjusted for HD), movement modes and languages, however, the conjured creatures lack all Spells, Spell Like abilities, Supernatural abilities, Extraordinary abilities and Class Features of the creature. However, a Monk's (Or similar's) Unarmed Damage Progression and any AC bonus, regardless of source, that did not come from an Item is kept.

... *is confused*

Okay... so basically, they get half your CL in HD, they look the same, and they are practically the same.

How would you "adjust for HD" for ability scores? Do you "adjust for HD" the feats, BAB and saves? Do they keep the skills? What happens to bonus feats that are class features (a fighter or wizards bonus feats, for example)? AC bonuses are kept, but not save bonuses? If the AC bonus comes from a spell, does it disappear too?

The gear that they appear with are the same gear of the creature that is used as a focus. However, they do not appear with any magical, alchemical or single shot items, but they retain all mundane gear and the qualities there of (For example, the focus' +1 Cold Iron Longsword would instead be simply a Cold Iron Longsword on the creature). If removed from the creature, it disappears and then reappears on the creature.

Technically speaking, using the improvised weapon rules, everything is a single shot item. Throw it, it hits, and is destroyed.

I'd just make it that all magical items are copied in a mundane form, and all alchemical items are copied in an inert form.

The conjured warriors respond totally to your commands and to the commands of any creature you designate as an ally, designating creatures is done as part of the spell, but they will act on their own if given general instructions, such as "Guard this place" or "Let no one without the password through".

What happens if you and an ally give directly conflicting orders? ("Kill him!" and "Don't kill him", for example)

Focus: Even if it is cast as a divine spell, the Caster requires a willing living/unliving ally in range (See the Range section of this spell), you count as your own ally for the purposes of this spell, to be used as a focus. If the ally's hit dice is less than half the caster's caster level then that ally cannot be used as a focus.

Why specify living/unliving? There's really no need to, as one is either alive or not. Alternatively, what if you have an ally that's somehow not either?

Why shouldn't you be able to copy an ally who HD is less than half your CL? I'd just place a clause saying that the copy's maximum HD is the current HD of the ally.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-06, 08:52 AM
I'd put it at Sorc/Wiz 5, Cleric 5, Paladin 4, Blackguard 4. At minimum, it should be 5, 4 for those who don't have 5th level spells. It looks to be a weaker version of body outside body, which is a 7th level Wu Jen spell.

Alright, thanks.

How would you summon an ally of someone else then? I'd make it "You or another ally".

Easily, the Focus section details how you summon allies of others.

Are they flesh and blood though?

I'm going to say no, not really. I'll add: "The creatures' flesh feels papery and the blood is thin and watery. They are not usable as a substitute for actual flesh and blood."

... *is confused*

Okay... so basically, they get half your CL in HD, they look the same, and they are practically the same.

How would you "adjust for HD" for ability scores?

You know how you get a +1 to an ability score every 4 HD?

Do you "adjust for HD" the feats, BAB and saves?

Well: You get a feat every three levels, the creature would lose some of those. The BAB is lowered as apropriate as are the Base Saves.

Do they keep the skills?

I'm going to say no.

What happens to bonus feats that are class features (a fighter or wizards bonus feats, for example)?

Hm, how about this rewording: "The creatures loose all Spells, Spell-like, Supernatural and Extraordinary abilities. Any feats that grant Spell-like, Supernatural or Extraordinary abilities do not function, althought the creature still possesses them."

This allows the summoned creatures to use any Natural abilities they possess, such as a Rogue's sneak attack, and any bonus Feats that do not provide Spell like, Supernatural or Extaordinary abilities. That seem okay?

AC bonuses are kept, but not save bonuses?[quote]

I actualy forgot Save Bonuses existed when writing this, I'll add them in.

[quote]If the AC bonus comes from a spell, does it disappear too?

I'll add a note saying that temporary AC bonuses disappear.

Technically speaking, using the improvised weapon rules, everything is a single shot item. Throw it, it hits, and is destroyed.

Never knew about that, huh.

I'd just make it that all magical items are copied in a mundane form, and all alchemical items are copied in an inert form.

Alright, that's more succinct.

What happens if you and an ally give directly conflicting orders? ("Kill him!" and "Don't kill him", for example)

I'll add a clause stating that in the case of conflicting orders, the Caster's orders take priority.

Why specify living/unliving? There's really no need to, as one is either alive or not.

So that you can copy an Undead ally.

Alternatively, what if you have an ally that's somehow not either?

Hm. I'll replace that section with: "You may use any Ally who's HP is 1 or greater as a focus." Anything I've missed?

Why shouldn't you be able to copy an ally who HD is less than half your CL? I'd just place a clause saying that the copy's maximum HD is the current HD of the ally.

That would make more sense, yes.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-06, 03:47 PM
Alrighty, it's updated. Does it look okay? Also, the Archivist tag simply prevents them from taking the Paladin/Blackguard version.

inuyasha
2013-04-06, 03:54 PM
they lose the extraordinary abilities? so if I cast it on a lion...the lion cant pounce? the giant cant throw rocks?? and the manticore cant throw spikes??? FyI I had a mostly monster party with those things in it, it was awsome

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-06, 04:00 PM
That's correct. This spell is meant to be a "We're outnumbered, we need more bodies" type of deal, rather than a "We only need to train one guy" sort of thing.

Morcleon
2013-04-06, 10:40 PM
Easily, the Focus section details how you summon allies of others.

Yeah, but the target is "You".

You know how you get a +1 to an ability score every 4 HD?

This requires you to remember at which levels you gained which ability scores.

Hm, how about this rewording: "The creatures loose all Spells, Spell-like, Supernatural and Extraordinary abilities. Any feats that grant Spell-like, Supernatural or Extraordinary abilities do not function, althought the creature still possesses them."

This allows the summoned creatures to use any Natural abilities they possess, such as a Rogue's sneak attack, and any bonus Feats that do not provide Spell like, Supernatural or Extaordinary abilities. That seem okay?

Technically, all abilities are (Ex), (Su), or (Sp). Or they're Spells.

I would say that all (Sp) and (Su) things are lost, but not extraordinary things. If all extraordinary things are lost, there's not much reason in duplicating anything, is there?