PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew feat peach thank you

Devronq
2013-04-06, 02:26 AM
Hey :) i made this feat and i rather like it and im using it already but just wanted to see what you guys think of it or maybe theres something im missing that would make it to good that im not see.

Spell burst (metamagic feat)
Prerequisite: caster level 1 and the ability to cast level 1 spells or better
You may chose to use this feat anytime you cast a spell. This feat may only be applied to spells that target you, have a duration of 1 round a level or 1 minute a level and have a casting time of a full round action or less. The spells casting time is changed to an immediate action and its duration is changed to 1 round regardless of its original duration. Unlike most metamagic feats this one does not require the caster to memorize it ahead of time it can be used on spontaneously; also it does not make the spell any higher spell level. The reduced duration is the cost of using the feat.

LordErebus12
2013-04-06, 02:31 AM
Hey :) i made this feat and i rather like it and im using it already but just wanted to see what you guys think of it or maybe theres something im missing that would make it to good that im not see.

Spell burst (metamagic feat)
Prerequisite: caster level 1 and the ability to cast level 1 spells or better
You may chose to use this feat anytime you cast a spell. This feat may only be applied to spells that target you, have a duration of 1 round a level or 1 minute a level and have a casting time of a full round action or less. The spells casting time is changed to an immediate action and its duration is changed to 1 round regardless of its original duration. Unlike most metamagic feats this one does not require the caster to memorize it ahead of time it can be used on spontaneously; also it does not make the spell any higher spell level. The reduced duration is the cost of using the feat.

what makes this useful, in your opinion?

ironwizard
2013-04-06, 02:37 AM
Looks reasonable to me. Makes some spell obsolete though (or just about obsolete). Swift Fly, Swift Expeditious Retreat and the like are rendered pointless, but I like it.

@LordErebus12: "Oh jeez! That <insert scary monster here> is bearing down on me. I could really use some more HP right about now. Spell Burst (Bear's Endurance)!" Or "Wow, that enemy charger's headed my way, I'd better not be here when he gets to me. Spell Burst (Ethereal Jaunt)."

LordErebus12
2013-04-06, 02:43 AM
@LordErebus12: "Oh jeez! That <insert scary monster here> is bearing down on me. I could really use some more HP right about now. Spell Burst (Bear's Endurance)!" Or "Wow, that enemy charger's headed my way, I'd better not be here when he gets to me. Spell Burst (Ethereal Jaunt)."

Etheral Jaunt, yeah. Bear's Endurance? no... i doubt 2hp per level is gonna save you for long, especially if its just for the round. possible, but unlikely. i know it wont work well for every spell but i feel like the one round thing kills it for me. :smallfrown:

although i must say, true strike becomes interesting with this feat.

Devronq
2013-04-06, 02:54 AM
Well yes the one round thing does limit it but as someone mentions its strictly for defending against one thing. Like lets say your caught without buffs on you could use the most important as needed. Ya it doesn't help some spells but stoneskin, invisibility, energy resistance, ethereal jaunt or even wall of force.

Siosilvar
2013-04-06, 05:51 AM
Spell Burst (Bear's Endurance)!

Surely you mean Spell Burst (False Life). Bonus HP from Constitution aren't lost first, so it does literally nothing to mitigate the damage from an impending attack (unless you would've hit -10 without the extra HP and you get healed before your next turn). I get the idea, but that's possibly the worst example you could've picked. :smallwink:

The feat could use some rewording. For starters, I don't think it should be a metamagic feat; it has a +0 cost and can be used at any time, so it should be just an option you can use. Something along the lines of
"As an immediate action, you may cast any spell targeting yourself with a duration of rounds per level or minutes per level. If you do so, the spell's effects last for only one round."This has the added benefit of letting sorcerers use it even by strict RAW.

I think it's an interesting idea, and an obvious extension of the Swift X line of spells, just like how the Chain Spell feat is the extension of Chain Lightning and the Mass X spells.

Devronq
2013-04-11, 07:02 PM
Etheral Jaunt, yeah. Bear's Endurance? no... i doubt 2hp per level is gonna save you for long, especially if its just for the round. possible, but unlikely. i know it wont work well for every spell but i feel like the one round thing kills it for me. :smallfrown:

although i must say, true strike becomes interesting with this feat.

ya true strike wouldnt work with the feat it has to have a duration of 1/round level or 1/min level.