PDA

View Full Version : inferno Dragon

smoke prism
2013-04-10, 09:38 AM
Hello playground, this is the first Dragon I have ever made, so if you see any problems feel free to inform me.Also they are notes on the concept and the idears behind it at the bottom of this post.

Inferno dragon
Gargantuan dragon (fire)
HD: 30d12+330 (525 HP)
Speed: 60 . (12 squares), fly 200 ft ( average)
Initiative: +7
Armor Class: 23 (+7dex, +10 natural, -4 size), touch 13, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple +30/+54
Standard attack:bite+38 (2d8+12, pluse 2d6 fire damage (??))
Full-Attack: bite+38 (2d8+12, plus 2d6) and 2 claw+33 (2d8+6, plus 2d6)
Space/Reach: 20ft/15ft (long)
Special Attacks:breath attack, improved grab
Special Qualities: Fire immunity , dragon traits, SR 30 frightful presence, DR 15/adamantin, Flaming body
Saves Fort +28, Ref +24 ,Will +24
Abilities Str 35, Dex 25, Con 33, Int 28, Wis 25, Cha 37 cha 13
Skills: 19 intimidate +46, diplomacy +39, spot +20, listen +20, knowledge (arcane) +14, knowledge(The planes) +14, knowledge(dungeoneering) +18
Feats: 10 (Dont know, suggestions welcome )
Environment: warm mountains
Organization: solitary or pair
Challenge Rating :28 (?)
Treasure: (?????)
Alignment: usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 31-4 (Gargantuan ), ( 41-50 (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

Description

"The terrifying Dragon commonly known as the inferno dragon, is a stunning creature to behold, with the general body shape of other Dragon, but its body and wings are awash with sapphire-blue flamese."

"The breath weapon of a inferno Dragon is a truly majestic and terrifying thing to behold, because as it opens up its gaping maw and releases a iridescent burst of flame that burns those it hits into a pile of dust, even those not killed by the initial attack the sticky and volatile nature of the the flames tgat they stick and burn for a will after wounds, even if the victim submerges them self."
- A unknown sage on the subject of the inferno Dragon

Combat

breath attack(Su): Once every four rounds as a standard action, a inferno Dragon can breathe a 60-foot cone ofl sticky , blue flames, that stick to the creaturs that survived . Everyone within the cone must make a Reflex save (DC 36), for half damage, or take 20d6 points of fire damage and become covered in volatile blue flames that deals 5d6 points of damge for 3 rounds therefore or until they have be fully submerge in water for 1 round.

Improved grab(Ex): To use this ability, the inferno dragon must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Frightful presence (Ex): Whem the inferno Dragon attacks, charges over head, all creatures in 330 feet with fewer HD than the inferno Dragon must a will save (DC 38).A creature that succeeds on a will save is immune to this inferno Dragons frightful presence. On a failure creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. The inferno dragon ignores the frIghtful presence of other dragons

Flaming body(Ex): Any creature that attacks the inferno dragon with a melee, non-reach weapon must make a reflex save (DC 38) or take 2d6 points of fire, damage. This check is charisma based.

Fire immunity(Ex): The inferno Dragon never takes fire damage, but it is vulnerable to cold, wich means it takes half again as much damage (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save ia a success or failure.

Concept notets
Wirh the inferno Dragon I wanted to creat a dragon that could ever be thorough of as a degenerate form of fire breathing dragon (Due to its lack of spell casting or spell-like abilities) or it can be viewed as the logical evolution of fire breathing Dragon's (Fire so volatile that, for a short time it burns underwater, and a the fact that the fire sticks to al those that survive.)

I also expect people to ask why it has no age categories, the short answer rally is that I have no clue how. (Anyone that dose knows how is welcomed to shear that information)

smoke prism
2013-04-19, 11:16 AM
Anyone ???

Debihuman
2013-04-19, 05:13 PM
I don't generally like to edit and critique epic creatures since it takes too much of my time. You should take advantage of this site: www.d20srd.org. It has the pertinent rules, which you have a pretty good grasp of.

Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft. (20 ft. with bite)

Gargantuan dragons have a bite that does 4d6 points of damage, 2 claws that do 2d8 points of damage, 2 wing buffets that do 2d6 points of damage, 1 tail slap that does 2d8 points of damage, can crush opponents for 4d6 plus 1½ times the dragon’s Strength bonus (round down), and can sweep with its tail too. See Dragon, True in SRD. There's no reason your dragon shouldn't be that powerful.

Breath Attack should be Breath Weapon. See other dragons for presentation. I hate to say this but it seems to be a Sterno Dragon rather than an Inferno Dragon (the blue flames just got me there). You should also mention that these flames can cause characters to catch on fire (not just take fire damage). Is the turning to dust effect just fluff or does a target have to succeed on Save or die he takes damage? It needs a mechanic to go with that.

Catching On Fire
Characters exposed to burning oil, bonfires, and noninstantaneous magic fires might find their clothes, hair, or equipment on fire. Spells with an instantaneous duration don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash.

Characters at risk of catching fire are allowed a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid this fate. If a character’s clothes or hair catch fire, he takes 1d6 points of damage immediately. In each subsequent round, the burning character must make another Reflex saving throw. Failure means he takes another 1d6 points of damage that round. Success means that the fire has gone out. (That is, once he succeeds on his saving throw, he’s no longer on fire.)

A character on fire may automatically extinguish the flames by jumping into enough water to douse himself. If no body of water is at hand, rolling on the ground or smothering the fire with cloaks or the like permits the character another save with a +4 bonus.

Those unlucky enough to have their clothes or equipment catch fire must make DC 15 Reflex saves for each item. Flammable items that fail take the same amount of damage as the character. n

You might want to use standard dragon statistics -- all true dragon have Dex 10 for example and this should probably be no different.

Flaming body is pretty weak for a 30 HD dragon. You might want to increase the amount of damage significantly.

It should have 11 feats. I recommend the following: Dire Charge (epic), Dodge, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Multiattack, Improved Toughness, Multiattack, Snatch.

Unfortunately, this dragon doesn't have much of a "wow" factor. It has no spells, no spell-like abilities, and its supernatural abilities are rather lackluster.

You might want to go back and edit it a bit. Formatting helps too.

Debby

smoke prism
2013-04-20, 05:56 AM
Cheers. I'll get to it in a bit