PDA

View Full Version : More Alternative Class Features

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-20, 03:24 PM
In the vein of PHBII, Dragon Magic and CM, some alternative class features for your consideration.

Uncanny Defence

Class: Any, but see below

Feature Exchanged: All armour proficiencies

Alternative feature: Choose either Intelligence or Wisdom. As long as you wear no armour, you add this ability bonus to your AC in the same way a Monk does. In addition, at 5th level in the selected class, you gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC as long as you remain unarmoured. This increases by 1 for every five additional levels you acquire in the class

Special: You can select this feature only once for each ability. This alternative class feature doesn't stack with similar abilities such as the monk, ninja or swordsage's AC bonus class feature. It does how stack with the Duelist and Invisible Blades Canny Defence class feature and similar ones.

More to come. Critiques?

katarl
2006-11-20, 03:28 PM
I like it, but it should be weaker for those that rely on lighter armour, they're gaining too much. No rogue would go without this feat, for example.

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-20, 03:41 PM
Hmmm.had some others, but I forget what they were. I'll remember soon. What about removing the every 5 levels bonus?

flawed.Perfection
2006-11-20, 03:58 PM
Making it an armor bonus might help a bit.

Sucks to be a sorcerer then, though; One of the only squishies that doesn't have int/wis as prime stat...

Yakk
2006-11-20, 06:01 PM
Practically, any character can mooch the monk "wisdom bonus to AC" by simply splashing monk.

Khantalas
2006-11-20, 06:08 PM
The question is: Would a spellcaster do that?

flawed.Perfection
2006-11-20, 06:39 PM
Practically, any character can mooch the monk "wisdom bonus to AC" by simply splashing monk.

The point of the feat, though, and why the sorcerer'd be left in the dark, is that you can opt to have either your Wisdom, or Intelligence bonus on your Armor Class. So that'd be a nice addition for a mage.

Serakus_DeSardis
2006-11-20, 07:17 PM

Any lawful character

Khantalas
2006-11-20, 07:20 PM
Any lawful character

Actually, any character who can afford to stay lawful long enough to get that level, as monks don't lose class features if they lose their lawful alignment.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-11-20, 08:46 PM
I'd probably require a certain level of armor proficiency to be traded for it. As-is, it simply adds to the Wizard. Possibly require medium armor proficiency (or shield proficiency)

I'd probably add that levels in multiple classes with this feature stack for purposes of determining the strength of this feature, but they do not provide it separately (a monk4/fighter1 with this variant gets Wis+1 to AC, from having 5 total levels with this feature)

Yakk
2006-11-20, 10:08 PM
Allowing Intelligence or Charisma seems like a bad idea, simply because those are the two arcane caster prime stats.

The trick with wisdom is that it only worked with casting classes who could already wear plate.

Sort of like why races that add to int or wis or cha or strength do not exist in the basic D&D 3.5 without extensions.

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-21, 02:19 PM
Should have made it clearer, you actually have to have some armour proficiency to give up.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-21, 02:30 PM
If a sorcerer really wants to dip monk for the ac, he can take the ascetic mage feat and use charisma instead of wisdom.
I think it's a pretty good idea, but I agree that maybe it should be better or worse depending on what ac proficiency you give up.

Khantalas
2006-11-21, 02:30 PM
*biting his fingers not to make a "Is there a Knowledge (Any) skill in D&D" joke*

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-21, 02:40 PM
Kinda reminds me, in UA, under WeaponGroups, it says "A fighter can take 'Weapon Group (Any)' as a bonus feat". Does that mean I can be proficient with every weapon in the game for 1 feat?

Nocte
2006-11-21, 04:00 PM
I think "any" means you could choose any one of the groups not all.

Merlin the Tuna
2006-11-23, 01:06 PM

Or you can grab a Monk's Belt.