PDA

View Full Version : D20 Feats of Skill: Has anything been done like this? WIP and PEACH too.

scarmiglionne4
2013-04-12, 06:00 PM
In my game feats as we know them are gone. They are replaced by Advantages and Flaws. Advantages do not grant combat maneuvers and they are not skill tricks nor is there anything akin to skill tricks.

Instead there are Feats of Skill. Feats of Skill are abilities that anyone can attempt. These abilities do not need to be purchased or acquired in any way. They are cinematic skill uses based on my skill system variant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277574) that are usually combat-oriented.

FEATS OF SKILL
This is a system of improvisational combat actions for my D20 homebrew game. It is designed to allow character’s to attempt any sort of action that a humanoid creature could feasibly do. This makes use of skills to perform these actions. Basically, this is a way for players to use skills to create their own favorable conditions.

The basic formula is succeed at one of more skill checks and get +2 to attack, +1 to damage, or +2 to AC and saves, -1 to damage received. Some maneuvers can double or even triple these bonuses.

EXAMPLE
Jump Attack
Make an Athletics check to leap into the air. The roll determines jump height. Divide the roll by 4, this determines height. In this case, the favorable condition we are trying to achieve is higher ground.

If you leap high enough, you may make a single attack with a bonus to attack and damage. The bonus to attack and damage is determined by how high you jump in relation to the defender’s vertical reach. For every increment of half of the defender’s vertical reach, you get +2 to attack, and +1 to damage.

For example, let’s say a human fighter wanted to jump attack an ogre. He would need to leap at least 8 feet into the air to get any sort of bonuses because an ogre is large and a large creature’s vertical reach is 16. Half of 16 is 8.

8 x 4 is 32 so the DC is 32. If successful the fighter would roll his attack roll with a +2 bonus to attack. If successful, damage is rolled with a +1 bonus.