PDA

View Full Version : [spell] Sanity is for the weak

open_source.exe
2006-11-21, 04:35 PM
Here is a spell I came up with. I intend to use it for my rather gritty campaign setting.

Sanity is for the Weak
Enchantment [Compulsion] [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3 Clr 4 Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One willing creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: Yes

The spell turns the target into an agressive, stupid creature. There are two forms, a mild and strong form. Once the spell is cast, the caster cannot dismiss it.

Mild: The target becomes bestial and agressive. They attack all non-allied creatures and objects within sight. They gain a +1 to strength and CON per 2 caster level with a maximum of +6 bonus to strength and a +4 bonus to CON. There is a 5% chance of activating the strong form when casting the mild.

Strong: The target becomes extremly bestial and agressive. They attack all creatures and objects they can sense. They gain a 2 + 1/2 caster level to Strength and Con with a maximum of +8 bonus to strength, a +6 bonus to CON. They also gain the scent special ability. There is a 1% chance when casting the strong form that the effects become permenant.

In both forms, the target suffers 1d4 INT and 1d4 WIS damage.

So what do you think? It it overpowered, underpowered, etc.

Edit: Made it per 2 caster levels.

Triaxx
2006-11-21, 07:21 PM
I can cast the Strong form on my allied Barbarian, half-orc berserker, and teleport away. He's now the strongest thing on the battlefield, and I can sit back with a cold drink, while he annihilates the enemies. All with a level four spell.

Adjust it so it adds +1 bonus to strength per caster level, capping at +6/+8 respectively, and the same for Con. Otherwise it's simply ungodly powerful.

Renegade Paladin
2006-11-21, 07:24 PM
You've been playing Chaos, haven't you?

As for the +1 per caster level idea, for a fourth level spell and capping at +8, that's almost the same effect; the minimum will be seven.

Triaxx
2006-11-21, 08:04 PM
I did do that didn't I... should have been per two caster levels.

open_source.exe
2006-11-21, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, and I did get this idea from Dawn of war. The title is one of the quotes on the menu.
I like the per 2 caster levels idea, but I think that the chance of the barbarian permenently becoming a savage who will rip your eyes out if he ever sees you agin balances it.

Triaxx
2006-11-21, 09:06 PM
Maybe, but I don't think a 1 in a 100 chance is enough to make it completely balanced.

Proven_Paradox
2006-11-22, 04:58 AM
I'd say just make it +1 per two caster levels (Or heck, maybe even three) and just remove the chance for permanance completely. A one percent chance of something going wrong with a spell this powerful isn't enough to deter most.

icke
2006-11-22, 05:27 AM
There already is something like your spell, it's called "Rage" and is a Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3 spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm .
Maybe You could work along this line, along with the Barbarian's Rage ability.
I actually liked the permanency chance, it's not a great drawback but gives the spell the right feeling. And You could introduce the poor guys who already fell victim to it... :)

Could you tell me why the target gains the scent ability in the strong form?

Hope to be helpful.

open_source.exe
2006-11-22, 07:38 AM
There already is something like your spell, it's called "Rage" and is a Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3 spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm .
Maybe You could work along this line, along with the Barbarian's Rage ability.
I actually liked the permanency chance, it's not a great drawback but gives the spell the right feeling. And You could introduce the poor guys who already fell victim to it... :)

Could you tell me why the target gains the scent ability in the strong form?

Hope to be helpful.

I gave it scent to represent its new beastial nature. Kind of like the animal within esacping and causing havok.

I maybe I should make it per 2 caster levels. Infact, I will do this right now.

Yakk
2006-11-22, 03:31 PM
The 1% is a bad idea. It won't happen, until it does, and one of your party members was just killed.

Is there a way to remove it (remove curse?)

icke
2006-11-23, 04:03 AM
Yakk:
The player won't be killed, he's just temporarily out of order, like being affected by a Feeblemind spell.

To remove the effect, I think Break Enchantment should do the trick.

open_source.exe:
I fail to see how dropping the mental stats can improve the capability of one's nostrils. If you want to include this, you should definitely call it a Transmutation rather then an enchantment.

open_source.exe
2006-11-23, 01:33 PM
I fail to see how dropping the mental stats can improve the capability of one's nostrils. If you want to include this, you should definitely call it a Transmutation rather then an enchantment.

Why must everything I do be logical?
My answer is perfectly logical, it's reality that's wrong.

Jarl
2006-11-23, 05:54 PM
Needs more sanity damage.

-I mean, it's right there in the name. Sanity gamers are gonna expect some massive damage.