PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Pure Pathfinder

Buruzu
2013-04-16, 11:40 PM
Okay, this is my first post on here, so keep that in mind.

I am currently starting several pathfinder games all taking place within my version of the Narutoverse.

To give a little backstory: Several years ago, the shinobi and samurai fought the Great Fourth Ninja War, resulting in Naruto separating the 10 tailed bijuu into 10 separate tailed beasts. While the five great shinobi nations remain peaceful, there is strong tension due to extremists and their attempts to topple the peace.

Also during this time, the 5 Great shinobi nations cloned the chakra of the 10 new tailed beasts, creating 10 artificial beasts, each related in some way to its predecessor.

So with the above "history" in mind, I have the following guidelines for character creation:

1: Clan generation will replace race. This is done utilizing the Advanced Race Guide with a few modifications.
-Modification 1: The Clans will be built based on 10 Points(Standard), but are able to utilize any of the racial traits.
-Modification 2: Only the humanoid(human) type is allowed.
-Modification 3: Size must be medium or small.
-Modification 4: Chakra natures shall be expressed using the elemental resistance and elemental affinity(leaving 8 points left for clan building)

Edit: -Modification 5: Multiple Chakra natures(Kekkei Genkai) will be made using the same options for Modification 4, save that they will be made for additional elements.

2: Class selection. This is done utilizing rules for gestalting two classes with a few restrictions based on concept.
-Modification 1: Jinchuuriki are required to have one class be a synthesist summoner to represent becoming the tailed beast gradually, and unlocking their abilities.
-Note:Spell casters utilize the existing rules to represent chakra usage. This may change in the future to allow for spell points.

So what I need now are opinions about the above options, as well as suggestions and if possible some examples of what you would play in a game like this. Also, Id like some help trying to nip any terrible cheese. I understand gestalting is powerful, and thats being done on purpose.

eftexar
2013-04-16, 11:55 PM
I'm just going to throw out there that there is a Naruto d20 floating around somewhere (though I can't attest for balance as I've never played it myself). But that aside...

While that summoner archetype fits perfectly I have to wonder if there might be a better way to do it than gestalting it. The reason I ask is that I feel like the Ninja class should be required by anyone playing, well, a ninja if you are going to gestalt anything.

Then you could deal with jinchuriki through bloodlines (even if they aren't in pathfinder it shouldn't be an issue to port over). That way you could also allow bloodline limits and some of the other odd and ends in a similar manner.

Regardless, you probably shouldn't allow any full spellcasting class to be coupled with any other casting class. I've seen gestalted casters (just think Druid + Wizard) before and they are absolute monsters, because there isn't anything they can't do.

edit: A random thought for chakra is Incarnum from 3.5 (if you have the book). Naruto ninja were not decked out in magic items, so replacing magic items entirely with this system would be keeping in with the flavor. Just tack on the soulborn's progression, with the incarnate's access to chakra binds, for free (incarnum is pretty weak, so doing this is probably a relatively close equivalent).

Buruzu
2013-04-17, 12:17 AM
First, thank you for the quick reply!

Ill have to take a look at the incarnum, i have it here somewhere, with all my other d20 books. Im trying to keep it within pathfinder completely.

As for the other portion, the reason im doing gestalting is that the Narutoverse is extremely large, with each ninja potentially having compeltely different abilities and not necessarily in line with the traditional ninja. (IE: Kiba would be a ninja/druid or a druid/oracle or sorceror, something along those lines, or maybe even a druid/barbarian..... while rock lee would most easily be represented as a monk/rogue, or something similar). Its really to allow my players to be able to make a ninja that can be just as unique in abilities as the ones in the manga and anime.

bobthe6th
2013-04-17, 05:26 PM
http://www.narutod20.com/

Runs like D20 modern, but with less guns and more ninjas.

the aforementioned Nd20. Also Gesalt is very powerful... and except for power creep, Naruto is a fairly low level world.

Buruzu
2013-04-17, 06:30 PM
I know that gestalting can be very powerful, that's why I'm running three different groups through this. :)
I chose gestalting for the tons of customization and the potential fun to be had(the NPC ninjas will be gestalt too after all). I know the standard naruto random ninjas aren't that powerful, but these are the heroes after all, and I want them to have similar power feed to the main characters in the show.

Buruzu
2013-04-18, 01:52 PM
Bump.

Im hoping to get some feedback in the form of clans you would play(using the rules in the first post). I know it can be very overpowering, but that is occurring on purpose and I want to see some of the possibilities that people can come up with.

eftexar
2013-04-18, 02:06 PM
I didn't say anything before, but you might be better off over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59) or here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57).

You'll probably get more answers there, since this is more for homebrew than world building. If you were asking for how to balance it or brew a jinchuriki bloodline you might get more help here.

Buruzu
2013-04-18, 02:59 PM
Suggestion taken! Thank you kind sir.

Tanuki Tales
2013-04-18, 07:40 PM
Also Gesalt is very powerful... and except for power creep, Naruto is a fairly low level world.

I assume you consider the Biju, Kami Path Pain, Jyuubi and Madara "power creep" then? :smalltongue: