PDA

View Full Version : [D&D Next (5e) Class] Shadowcaster [PEACH][Playtest]

Xuldarinar
2013-05-02, 09:16 PM
Shadowcaster
All things fall into shadow, even light. Shadows to not represent the absence of light; they show the presence of darkness. Thus, shadow and darkness are not death or diminishment, they are the fundamental state of the universe, the constant that existed before, that exists now, and that will exist when all other things are snuffed out. So it is with the Plane of Shadow, that dark mirror to the Material Plane and many other realities. Shadowcasters tap into this most fundamental of forces and planes to work their dark wills. By tying themselves to the Plane of Shadow, they maintain a tenuous link to the ultimate force of existence.

Creating a Shadowcaster
You can make a shadowcaster quickly by following these suggestions
Suggested Background: Sage
Starting Equipment: Robes, Light Crossbow, Dagger, Crossbow Bolts (20), Adventurer's Kit, and 112 gp

The Shadowcaster
{table=head] Level|Spellcasting Bonus|Class Features|Mysteries Known|Highest level Mystery|Apprentice|Initiate|Master
1|+1|Mystery Usage (Apprentice), Fundimentals|1|1st|1/day|-|-
2|+1|Gift of Shadows|2|1st|1/day|-|-
3|+2|-|3|2nd|1/day|-|-
4|+2|Ability Score Improvement|4|2nd|1/day|-|-
5|+2|Gift of Shadows|5|3rd|1/day|-|-
6|+2|-|6|3rd|1/day|-|-
7|+2|Mystery Usage (Initiate)|7|4th|2/day|1/day|-
8|+2|Ability Score Improvement, Gift of Shadows|8|4th|2/day|1/day|-
9|+3|-|9|5th|2/day|1/day|-
10|+3|-|10|5th|2/day|1/day|-
11|+3|Gift of Shadows|11|6th|2/day|1/day|-
12|+3|-|12|6th|2/day|1/day|-
13|+3|Mystery Usage (Master)|13|7th|3/day|2/day|1/day
14|+4|Ability Score Improvement, Gift of Shadows|14|7th|3/day|2/day|1/day
15|+4|-|15|8th|3/day|2/day|1/day
16|+4|-|16|8th|3/day|2/day|1/day
17|+4|Gift of Shadows|17|9th|3/day|2/day|1/day
18|+4|-|18|9th|3/day|2/day|1/day
19|+5|Ability Score Improvement|19|9th|3/day|2/day|1/day
20|+5|Gift of Shadows|20|9th|3/day|2/day|1/day [/table]

Class Features
As a shadowcaster, you gain the following class features.

Hit Dice: 1d8 per shadowcaster level
Hit Points at 1st level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher levels: 1d8 + your Constitution modifier per shadowcaster level after 1st

Armor Proficiencies: None
Weapon Proficiencies: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, and light crossbows

Level 1: Mystery Usage
All things cast shadows, even magic itself. You have learned to wield this magic as your own.
Benefit: You can cast a number of mysteries per day, based on your level. Starting out, you only have access to apprentice mysteries (Mysteries that are 1st, 2nd and 3rd level). The progression of your mysteries are listed in the table above.
Using a mystery: When you use a mystery, choose one of your known mysteries and use up one of its uses for that day. All mysteries are separate in terms of uses, as opposed to most spellcasters that draw from a level based pool. In order to use a mystery, you must have an Intelligence score equal to the mystery level plus 10. Due to the nature of mysteries, when you use one your shadow's gestures do not match with your own. Observers can make a DC 15 spot check to notice your shadow is making different gestures than you are when you use a mystery.
Saving Throw DCs: When a mystery that you use or a feature calls for a saving throw, the save DC equals 10 + your Charisma modifier + the spell casting bonus for your level, as noted in the Shadowcaster table.

Level 1: Fundamentals
All knowledge builds upon itself, the same is true of all magics.
Benefit: You acquire 3 fundamentals, these are to shadow magic what cantrips are to arcane magic. Like cantrips, you may use these as often as you want.

Level 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17 & 20: Gift of Shadows
Your interactions with darkness itself has left its mark on you.
Benefit: At each of the levels indicated above, you may select one of the features listed below.

Gift of Flowing Form
Your contact with shadow magic has influenced your form. Making you more agile, but less durable.
Benefit: Upon taking this feature, you gain one point of Dexterity at the cost of one point of Constitution or one point of Strength.

Gift of Flowing Thoughts
Your contact with shadow magic has influenced your mind. Making your mind sharper, but at a cost.
Benefit: Upon taking this feature, you gain one point of Intellect, at the cost of one point of Wisdom.

Gift of Fundamentals
Your contact and continued study of shadow magic has granted you further knowledge.
Benefit: Upon taking this feature, you learn one additional fundamental.

Gift of Sustenance
Your contact with shadow magic has replaced much of your need for things such as food, water, and sleep.
Benefit: The first time you take this feature, a single meal a week can sustain you. The second time you take this feature, a single hour of sleep is equal to eight hours of sleep for anyone else. The third time you take this feature, you become immune to poisons and diseases. The fourth time you take this feature, you lose all need to eat, sleep, and breath.

Gift of Vision
Your contact with shadow magic has enhanced your vision, allowing it to penetrate its very essence.
Benefit: Upon selecting this feature, you gain low-light vision. If you already have low-light vision (by racial trait or by this class features) then when you select this feature, you may see an additional 30 feet into total darkness.

Multiclassing Prerequisite
Charisma 13+, Intelligence 13+
__________________________________________________ _______________

Disclaimer: The creation of this homebrew is to see how the system functions outside the existing classes. No direct content from the play test shall be copied, excerpted, distributed, published, displayed, disseminated, released, and/or transmitted. All content here is strictly for the purposes of discussion and development and will be careful not to violate the Nondisclosure Agreement. Dungeons & Dragons is property of Wizards of the Coast.

Quiddle
2013-05-02, 11:43 PM
Saves? BAB? Skills?

Xuldarinar
2013-05-02, 11:48 PM
Saves? BAB? Skills?

This is for D&D Next (D&D 5.0).
I advice looking into the play test. Here (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dndnext.aspx) is a link. Just sign up, which is simple to do, download the packet, and read the PDF files. You'll understand where those went.

But, to address the points briefly.

Saves are not based in classes.
BAB is present, in a different form though.
Skills are not based in classes.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-03, 10:04 AM
Shadowcaster Mysteries

Fundamentals
Arrow of Dusk
Black Candle
Caul of Shadow
Liquid Night
Mystic Reflections
Shadow Hood
Sight Obscured
Umbral Hand
Widened Eyes

Apprentice Path Mysteries
Cloak of Shadows
1 Steel Shadows
2 Sight Eclipsed
3 Sharp Shadows

Dark Terrain
1 Carpet of Shadow
2 Black Fire
3 Clinging Darkness

Ebon Whispers
1 Voice of Shadow
2 Congress of Shadows
3 Flicker

Eyes of Darkness
1 Bend Perspective
2 Piercing Sight
3 Killing Shadows

Shutters and Clouds
1 Dusk and Dawn
2 Shadow Skin
3 Dancing Shadows

Touch of Twilight
1 Life Fades
2 Flesh Fails
3 Umbral Touch

Umbral Mind
1 Mesmerizing Shade
2 Thoughts of Shadow
3 Afraid of the Dark

Initiate Path Mysteries
Black Magic
4 Warp Spell
5 Echo Spell
6 Flood of Shadow

Body and Soul
4 Bolster
5 Languor
6 Shadow Investiture

Dark Reflections
4 Shadow Evocation
5 Feign Life
6 Shadow Evocation, Greater

Ebon Roads
4 Step into Shadow
5 Pass into Shadow
6 Voyage into Shadow

Elemental Shadows
4 Aura of Shade
5 Dark Air or Water
6 Shadow Storm

Unbinding Shade
4 Shadows Fade
5 Unravel Dweomer
6 Shadows Fade, Greater

Veil of Shadows
4 Shadow Vision
5 Curtain of Shadows
6 Unveil

Master Path Mysteries
Breath of Twilight
7 Life Fades, Greater
8 Flesh Fails, Greater
9 Ephemeral Storm

Dark Metamorphosis
7 Ephemeral Image
8 Umbral Body
9 Shadow Time

Ebon Walls
7 Prison of Night
8 Tomb of Night
9 Consume Essence

Eyes of the Night Sky
7 Truth Revealed
8 Far Sight
9 Reflections of Things to Come

Heart and Soul
7 Dark Soul
8 Soul Puppet
9 Shadow Surge

Shadow Calling
7 Summon Umbral Servant
8 Shadow Plague
9 Army of Shadow

Xuldarinar
2013-05-03, 10:06 AM
Mystery Descriptions

-space reserved-
-Until Updated, Use 3.5 Mystery Descriptions-

You may make the following substitution: Caster level => Spellcasting Bonus. While not perfect, and it will weaken certain mysteries, it is a basic solution.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-03, 10:20 AM
Bestiary of Shadow

Template: Dark Creature
"Dark" is an acquire or inherited template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the base create.
Dark creatures tend to be much duller in color, with more gray and black skin tones and hair highlights, than their Material Plane versions. In general, they also weigh less, as if part of their very substance was mere shadow stuff.
A dark creature has all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Speed: +10 feet to all modes of movement
Traits: Darkvision 60 feet, Superior low-light vision, Resistance to cold, Able to use the hide skill while being observed.
Skills: Sneak is counted as a known skill. If already known, increase the die used for it by one.
Level: Treat as one level higher.
Alignment: One step from base creature, rarely good.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Shadow Elementals

Elemental, Shadow (Small)
Small Elemental
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 12 (2d10); see Traits below
Speed 0 ft., Fly 40ft.
Senses Blindsight 60ft.
Str 9 Dex 10 Con 10
Int 4 Wis 10 Cha 10
Alignment Usually Evil
Languages None

Traits
Etherial: The shadow elemental is etherial

Immunities: The elemental is immune to disease and poison. It cannot be knocked prone, paralyzed, turned to stone, or put to sleep. It does not need to sleep, eat, or breathe

Resistances: The elemental is resistant to cold, and nonmagical weapons.

Shadow Mastery: The shadow elemental gains a +1 bonus to all attack and damage rolls if both it and its target are in an area of darkness or shadowy illumination. In areas of bright light, the shadow elemental takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls and damage rolls.

Actions
Melee Attack-Incorporeal Touch +2 to hit (reach 5 feet.; one creatures). Hit: (1d4 +1) damage plus (1d4 +1) cold damage.

Mystery Usage: The shadow elemental can use the following mystery: Dusk and Dawn 3/day.

Encounter Building
Level 2 XP 40
__________________________________________________ ________

Elemental, Shadow (Medium)
Medium Elemental
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 28 (4d10 + 4); see Traits below
Speed 0 ft., Fly 40ft.
Senses Blindsight 60ft.
Str 9 Dex 12 Con 12
Int 4 Wis 10 Cha 10
Alignment Usually Evil
Languages None

Traits

Immunities: The elemental is immune to disease and poison. It cannot be knocked prone, paralyzed, turned to stone, or put to sleep. It does not need to sleep, eat, or breathe

Shadow Mastery: The shadow elemental gains a +1 bonus to all attack and damage rolls if both it and its target are in an area of darkness or shadowy illumination. In areas of bright light, the shadow elemental takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls and damage rolls.

Actions
Melee Attack-Incorporeal Touch +4 to hit (reach 5 feet.; one creatures). Hit: (1d6 +1) damage plus (1d6 +1) cold damage.

Mystery Usage: The shadow elemental can use the following mysteries: Dusk and Dawn 3/day, and Shadow Skin 3/day.

Encounter Building
Level 4 XP 170
__________________________________________________ ________

Elemental, Shadow (Large)
Large Elemental
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 45 (7d10 + 7); see Traits below
Speed 0 ft., Fly 40ft.
Senses Blindsight 60ft.
Str 9 Dex 14 Con 13
Int 6 Wis 10 Cha 10
Alignment Usually Evil
Languages None

Traits

Actions
Melee Attack-Incorporeal Touch +6 to hit (reach 10 feet.; one creatures). Hit: (1d6 +1) damage plus (1d6 +1) cold damage.

Mystery Usage: The shadow elemental can use the following mysteries: Dusk and Dawn 3/day, Shadow Skin 3/day, and Dancing Shadows 3/day.

Encounter Building
Level 7 XP 1,540

__________________________________________________ ______________

Elemental, Shadow (Huge)
Huge Elemental
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 120 (15d10 + 30); see Traits below
Speed 0 ft., Fly 40ft.
Senses Blindsight 60ft.
Str 9 Dex 16 Con 15
Int 6 Wis 10 Cha 10
Alignment Usually Evil
Languages None

Traits

Actions
Melee Attack-Incorporeal Touch +7 to hit (reach 15 feet.; one creatures). Hit: (2d4 +1) damage plus (2d4 +1) cold damage.

Mystery Usage: The shadow elemental can use the following mysteries: Dusk and Dawn 3/day, Shadow Skin 3/day, Dancing Shadows 3/day, and Warp Spell 2/day.

Encounter Building
Level 9 XP 2,760

Elemental, Shadow (Greater)
Huge Elemental
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 150 (20d10 + 30); see Traits below
Speed 0 ft., Fly 40ft.
Senses Blindsight 60ft.
Str 9 Dex 18 Con 15
Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 10
Alignment Usually Evil
Languages None

Traits

Actions
Melee Attack-Incorporeal Touch +9 to hit (reach 15 feet.; one creatures). Hit: (2d4 +1) damage plus (2d6 +1) cold damage.

Mystery Usage: The shadow elemental can use the following mysteries: Dusk and Dawn 3/day, Shadow Skin 3/day, Dancing Shadows 3/day, Warp Spell 2/day, and Echo Spell 2/day.

Encounter Building
Level 11 XP 4,970

Elemental, Shadow (Elder)
Huge Elemental
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 168 (23d10 + 30); see Traits below
Speed 0 ft., Fly 40ft.
Senses Blindsight 60ft.
Str 9 Dex 20 Con 15
Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10
Alignment Usually Evil
Languages None

Traits

Actions
Melee Attack-Incorporeal Touch +11 to hit (reach 15 feet.; one creatures). Hit: (2d4 +1) damage plus (4d4 +1) cold damage.

Mystery Usage: The shadow elemental can use the following mysteries: Dusk and Dawn 3/day, Shadow Skin 3/day, Dancing Shadows 3/day, Warp Spell 2/day, Echo Spell 2/day, and Flood of Shadow 2/day.

Encounter Building
Level 13 XP 9,720

Ilorin Lorati
2013-05-03, 11:28 AM
Hm... Next, like Pathfinder, has at will cantrips for the primary spellcasters. Without something to that effect, they're going to get left behind really quickly.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-03, 12:30 PM
Hm... Next, like Pathfinder, has at will cantrips for the primary spellcasters. Without something to that effect, they're going to get left behind really quickly.

That would be the Fundamentals, I imagine.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-03, 01:35 PM
That would be the Fundamentals, I imagine.

Yes, but they were 3/day. I have now corrected this. I greatly appreciate the input.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-03, 02:38 PM
That said, knowing what I do of Next, I am, admittedly, leery of introducing any spellcaster homebrew at this point. Tome of Battle was good. 4e's AEDU system was a step backwards, but still better than the enormous divide between Vancian powers and "I hit it" that was prevalent in 3.5 and previous editions.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I can help clarify for others, but I'm too biased to offer anything constructive of my own, because daily resource management needs to die in a fire. Retroactively if at all possible.

But on a lighter note, yay, shadow magic was my favorite section of ToM. :smallcool:

Xuldarinar
2013-05-03, 02:46 PM
That said, knowing what I do of Next, I am, admittedly, leery of introducing any spellcaster homebrew at this point. Tome of Battle was good. 4e's AEDU system was a step backwards, but still better than the enormous divide between Vancian powers and "I hit it" that was prevalent in 3.5 and previous editions.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I can help clarify for others, but I'm too biased to offer anything constructive of my own, because daily resource management needs to die in a fire. Retroactively if at all possible.

But on a lighter note, yay, shadow magic was my favorite section of ToM. :smallcool:

I appreciate all the help I can get, and I do understand the bias. Everyone is entitled to their own. Personally, I adore shadow magic. I like the flavor behind it all, and am more than willing to put up with any of its short comings. Perhaps one day we will see an official update to the class and content, but until then I'll brew away and dream.

On another note, Shadow Elementals have now been added.

Temotei
2013-05-03, 03:00 PM
Unless the policy was changed recently, the agreement for playtesting D&D Next specifically states that you can't make public homebrew for the system. Sad, I know. :smallsigh:

Xuldarinar
2013-05-03, 03:08 PM
Unless the policy was changed recently, the agreement for playtesting D&D Next specifically states that you can't make public homebrew for the system. Sad, I know. :smallsigh:

Well, searching around there is other homebrew in existence for the new system that has been up for a while. And the term isn't addressed in the current terms of the agreement so, Im going with it. If WotC decides they are offended by this, they can get upset at me. I, more than welcome them to take this Homebrew and use it. I'd be honored if they even noticed it. Just imagine what it would be like to have a creation of yours become official content, or even to have simply inspired it. So, until such time as there is a fit thrown, or the slim chance WotC uses this, I shall work.

On the other hand, -all- D&D home brew is derivative and WotC could throw a fit over any and all home brew in existence. But, with the ease one can enter the play test to obtain the files, and the fact i've mentioned it and promote people to go to it prior to assisting me (In fact you need it to use this), I don't see there to be any issue. Thats my take on it.

peacenlove
2013-05-04, 07:34 AM
I don't know about 5th next edition, however at 1st glance this class seems to have less than the original shadowcaster.

Benefit: You can cast a number of mysteries per day, based on your level. Starting out, you only have access to apprentice mysteries (Mysteries that are 1st, 2nd and 3rd level). To learn a mystery above 1st level, you must know twice as many mysteries as the highest you may use. (2 to learn 2nd level, 4 to learn 3rd, 6 to learn 4th, so on). Upon learning your first initiate mystery (4th-6th), your apprentice mysteries may be used 2/day each, and your initiate mysteries may be used 1/day. Upon learning your first master mystery (7th-9th).

The ToM shadowcaster didn't have this restriction. I could learn at 7th level a 1st to 3rd level mystery, and my apprentice mysteries would upgrade themselves, no problem. In fact, sometimes it is advantageous to do so since I can enter roguish PrC's without worrying about armor issues or still mystery.
While your 3rd sentence is clear in it's meaning, the examples in the parentheses are not.

If I wanted to replicate all of thew shadowcaster's class features from 3rd edition I would need 6-7 gifts of shadows. 4 for the sustaining shadow line and 2 or 3 for the 60' see in darkness umbral sight ability.

The last 2 levels are dead, however I don't know if 5th edition will have prestige classes so that might not be a problem at all.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-04, 08:45 AM
I don't know about 5th next edition, however at 1st glance this class seems to have less than the original shadowcaster.

The ToM shadowcaster didn't have this restriction. I could learn at 7th level a 1st to 3rd level mystery, and my apprentice mysteries would upgrade themselves, no problem. In fact, sometimes it is advantageous to do so since I can enter roguish PrC's without worrying about armor issues or still mystery.
While your 3rd sentence is clear in it's meaning, the examples in the parentheses are not.

If I wanted to replicate all of thew shadowcaster's class features from 3rd edition I would need 6-7 gifts of shadows. 4 for the sustaining shadow line and 2 or 3 for the 60' see in darkness umbral sight ability.

The last 2 levels are dead, however I don't know if 5th edition will have prestige classes so that might not be a problem at all.

Ah, interesting points. Well, allow me to explain why I put things as I did.

The restriction on learning is actually consistent with the shadow caster, though the wording is admittedly bad. I was trying to make it so your mysteries would progress at the same rate as the shadowcaster of 3.5, however looking over it, the wording is rather poor. Perhaps I should add a layer to the table to show highest level mystery that can be learned and be done with that.

As for replicating class features. Interesting point there. Perhaps I should reduce he gap in levels a bit. In function I tried to make a choice there. Emulating what some of the official classes do, in some versions of the play test.

Vauron
2013-05-04, 11:17 AM
Assuming I understand what you want, try something like this:
"The highest level mystery you can learn is equal to half your mysteries known, plus 1. Round down all fractions.
(Mysteries known/2)+1
As an example, Jane is a level 4 Shadowcaster and knows 4 mysteries. Two of those must be level 1 mysteries, while the other two could be level 2. When she levels up and hits level 5, she may take a level 3 mystery."

Alternatively, you could just put a table in.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-04, 11:43 AM

The good news: Prestige classes and/or paragon paths WILL exist in Next...

The bad news: ...as feat chains.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-04, 08:30 PM
The good news: Prestige classes and/or paragon paths WILL exist in Next...

The bad news: ...as feat chains.

Yeah, Im honestly not sure how I feel about them being in that form. There are pros and cons, as with all things. Whatever WotC decides for the format though, i'll work with it.

eftexar
2013-05-04, 10:04 PM
I can't really say much about it until you have some of the mysteries written up. I would say that it looks a little empty, but Next seems to have a lot of dead levels.

Next actually looks pretty promising (contrary to a lot of what I've heard around the net). But as a I was saying earlier it feels kind of empty. Spellcasters are definitely headed in the right direction, but the mundanes are still kind of boring.

By the way, you forgot the level and XP entry for the shadow elementals. I feel like they should gain access to a new mystery at each stage, otherwise it is just more of the same.

Xuldarinar
2013-05-04, 10:20 PM
I can't really say much about it until you have some of the mysteries written up. I would say that it looks a little empty, but Next seems to have a lot of dead levels.

Next actually looks pretty promising (contrary to a lot of what I've heard around the net). But as a I was saying earlier it feels kind of empty. Spellcasters are definitely headed in the right direction, but the mundanes are still kind of boring.

By the way, you forgot the level and XP entry for the shadow elementals. I feel like they should gain access to a new mystery at each stage, otherwise it is just more of the same.

Well, shortly I'll write up conversions for the mysteries. I'll need to compare certain spells and figure how I can work with that. Till then, the 3.5 mysteries are alright.

I agree that next looks promising, but looks can be deceiving.

Ah, you caught that aspect. I wasn't sure exactly what to do for those, but I've now added levels, XP, and expanded upon the mystery usage to add more diversity to the shadow elementals.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-24, 02:50 AM
Given the release of the final play test packet, I'm bringing this back to the top, adjusted to the current iteration (to the best of my knowledge and ability). When D&D Next officially comes out and I am able to go over it's content, I will either update this in this thread, or create a new thread. Until that time, here we are.

If anyone has any input, it certainly will be appreciated.