PDA

View Full Version : New corrupt spells (the old ones shall rise, 3.5, PEACH)

inuyasha
2013-05-05, 10:58 PM
these are for my new campaign (look in the world building thread), a lovecraftian setting, with old gods, rambling old dudes, cultists, fez's, cultists WEARING FEZ'S! and stuff like that, well i decided I needed more corrupted spells, enjoy

Forbidden Knowledge of the Old Gods
Divinitation [evil]
Level: Corrupt 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: personal
Target: you
Duration: instananeous
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: none
you have a brief flash of forbidden lore, learning things that should not be learned, and seeing things that should never be seen. Your eyes briefly turn black as night, and then back to normal, and then you get a +20 insight bonus on your next knowledge check.
Corrupt cost: 1d4 wisdom damage
Material component: the eyeball of a slain child

The Wracking Pain of the King in Yellow
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: close (25ft+5/2 levels)
Target: one living creature besides a plant
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: fortitude negates
Spell resistance: yes
Upon casting the spell, the target becomes horribly disfigured, covered in scars and cuts, becoming horribly bloated in some areas, and wickedly gaunt in others, taking 1d8 damage to dexterity, strength and constitution
Corruption cost: 1d6 wisdom
Material component: a vertebrae from someone brutally tortured or murdered

Protection of the Great Old Ones
Abjuration [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: one minute
Area: 60ft.
Target: a symbol of a dark god
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: none
Upon casting the spell, the symbol to Hastur you hold in you hand glows with a greasy dark radiance, and everyone within 60ft gains a +4 profane bonus to armor class, +2 on all saves, and a 50% chance to ignore critical hits.
Corruption cost: 1d6 strength damage
Focus: a symbol to a great old one such as Hastur or Cthulhu which must remain stationary throughout the spells duration, if moved a significant distance (determined by the DM)the spell will fail

Summon Spawn of the Elder gods
Conjuration (Summoning) [Evil]
Level: Corrupted 8
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: close (25ft+5/2 levels)
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: None
As you finish chanting to the elder gods, you summon one of their spawn, what kind of spawn depends on the old one
{table]Deity|spawn
Cthulhu|Fiendish kraken
Cthugha|Infernal Conflagration ooze
Shub Niggurath| Night twist
Yog sothoth| 10 headed shrieking terror
Chaugnar Faugn| Maelephant
Bugg-Shash| advanced 12HD Gibbering Mouther with the tremorsense, alternate form, and amorphous abilities of the Phasm
Atlach-Nacha| Bebilith
Crom Cruach| Purple Worm
Ei'lor| 13HD advanced tendriculous
The Green God| 13HD advanced shambling mound
Abholos| 12HD Destrachan
Saa'itii| 15HD Shadow dire boar
Hastur| Devourer
Azathoth| Dread wraith
Yig|Half fiend Yuan Ti abomination with 3 levels in fighter
Ghisguth| Elder black pudding
Gurathnaka| 10 HD night hag

[/table]
Note: with these deities, Im just going down the list of wikipedia, some may be from other authors like brian lumley, or august derleth. I will add more deities soon
Corruption cost: 1d8 wisdom
Focus: a symbol to the elder god you are summoning a spawn of

I will be making more spells and adding them here

The Mentalist
2013-05-05, 11:26 PM
Forbidden knowledge of the old gods

Casting time seems awful long and the bonus is kind of high for a first level spell no matter what the cost is. Also you need to declare the type of benefit it is (I recommend Insight) so that it doesn't stack quite so easily.

The wracking pain of the king in yellow

This needs to be an instant duration spell unless you want that damage to go away at the end of rounds in which case it needs to be a penalty.

Protection of the great old ones

I'd note it as a 50% chance to ignore critical strikes instead of medium fortification, just for sake of cleanliness. Perhaps making it a 1 hour/lvl duration is better than flat 8 hours as well, makes it a little better for the cost you're paying and it helps the scalability.

inuyasha
2013-05-06, 08:11 AM
ok, I have done some editing to the spells in miscellaneous ways. Thoughts? I will probably put more spells in the OP later today

JoshuaZ
2013-05-06, 01:54 PM
Spell names should be fully capitalized with each word generally.

I'm not sure in terms of balance- corrupt spells are generally pretty broken as a mechanic already (and get even worse when one has easy ability healing). (Frankly, if they all used ability burn rather than ability drain that would help a lot.) In the usual context of how corrupt spells work, these seem ok, although I'd be worried about giving the Forbidden Knowledge one as at all accessible to players. Even without any healing it means that about once every four days you can essentially research something completely for free. With this spell and no effort at level 5 one can be routinely using this to hit a minimum of 25 on knowledge checks. That's a lot.

inuyasha
2013-05-06, 05:45 PM
Spell names should be fully capitalized with each word generally.

I'm not sure in terms of balance- corrupt spells are generally pretty broken as a mechanic already (and get even worse when one has easy ability healing). (Frankly, if they all used ability burn rather than ability drain that would help a lot.) In the usual context of how corrupt spells work, these seem ok, although I'd be worried about giving the Forbidden Knowledge one as at all accessible to players. Even without any healing it means that about once every four days you can essentially research something completely for free. With this spell and no effort at level 5 one can be routinely using this to hit a minimum of 25 on knowledge checks. That's a lot.

they use ability damage not drain, and I will up the level of forbidden knowledge

also I will be adding more spells

inuyasha
2013-05-06, 07:52 PM
added another spell :D

The Mentalist
2013-05-06, 08:12 PM
The summon levels are kind of all over the place, with some that are NOT worth even just the eighth level slot right off the bat and others I will have to look at. It would also help the usability of your spell (and aid in reviewing) if you tagged what book everything comes from.