PDA

View Full Version : Screwed by Circumstance?

Maginomicon
2013-05-07, 09:25 AM
(It's times like these when I wish this community had some sort of regular chatroom)

I posted a thread a few days before the site went down recently. As a side-effect of the downtime, the thread to-date has zero replies and is essentially buried.

I know I'm not allowed to bump it, but what should I do if I still want an answer to the question I asked in that thread? Go somewhere else? It's too complicated a question to ask in the "simple Q&A" threads.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-07, 10:12 AM
If it's fallen off the front page, you can probably make a new thread on the same topic. This is normally discouraged if the former thread is less than 6 weeks old, I think, but in this case they would probably make an exception. (plus, as active as the mods are, I think they really only look into things that get reported)

If you where still worried, send the mod in charge of that sub-forum a PM.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-07, 12:33 PM
If it's fallen off the front page, you can probably make a new thread on the same topic. This is normally discouraged if the former thread is less than 6 weeks old, I think, but in this case they would probably make an exception. (plus, as active as the mods are, I think they really only look into things that get reported) Sheriff: This is terrible advice. Essentially, it says, "go ahead and violate the one thread per topic rule to evade the no double posting rule" If you're going to do that, why not just double post? And the rationale is, "it probably won't get reported, so the mods won't notice it, and you probably won't get a Warning." Ugh. Terrible advice all around.

As I have said before to others in this subforum, please don't give people rules advice unless you are absolutely certain you are correct. I understand the impulse to be helpful, but I suspect the poster misled into a Warning/Infraction will not be so understanding about one's intent.

If you where still worried, send the mod in charge of that sub-forum a PM.This is a better course from the outset. The Forum Rules identify the mods for each subforum, if you ever want an exception from a rule, contact those people. Exceptions to this kind of technical rule are commonly granted when there is a good reason.

OP, I think you've sussed out the problem correctly. You can't double post without violating the Forum Rules, and you can't make a new thread without violating the one thread/topic rule. It's not a matter of being on the first page, it's for as long as that thread is able to be posted in (up until the six week Thread Necromancy threshold). The only way to do what you want is to violate one of these two forum rules, and to do that you need a mod-granted exception.

Rawhide
2013-05-08, 02:26 AM
As a side-effect of the downtime, the thread to-date has zero replies and is essentially buried.

This is incorrect. The forum downtime would have made absolutely no difference. While the forum was down, your thread remained in exactly the same place, with no other threads being created or replied to pushing it down the page. You cannot blame the forum downtime, it has received no replies either because no one was interested and compelled to do so, or knew the answer.