PDA

View Full Version : Whistle a Little Tune for Me [3.5, Minor "Artifact", PEACH]

Amechra
2013-05-10, 11:05 AM
Three Variations on a Theme

Three Variations on a Theme is not a physical object; it is, in fact, a simple yet addictive little tune, that even a child could whistle in its entirety.

The piece lasts for 3 minutes, as each variation is interwoven with each of the others in a satisfying manner.

The tune itself requires a DC 10 Perform check to replicate; as a special case, it may be replicated through any form of the Perform skill, manifesting as a particular pattern of steps or a peculiar tattoo on the drums.

The first time each day that the tune is performed by a given person, they are considered to have consumed a single meal's worth of food and drink, and to have slept for two hours. It is also extremely agreeable, granting the performer a +1 morale bonus on all d20 rolls until the completion of the song.

However, the song has an insidious quality; every object within 20' of a performance of the tune takes 1 point of Sonic damage each minute that the song is performed. For each performer within the radius of the effect, the radius is increased by 20', and the damage is doubled.

The song may be taught to anyone over the course of an hour, at which point they must make a DC 10 Perform check to put on their first performance of the tune.

And so they sing the song that ends the world.

smoke prism
2013-05-10, 11:53 AM
Three Variations on a Theme

Three Variations on a Theme is not a physical object; it is, in fact, a simple yet addictive little tune, that even a child could whistle in its entirety.

The piece lasts for 3 minutes, as each variation is interwoven with each of the others in a satisfying manner.

The tune itself requires a DC 10 Perform check to replicate; as a special case, it may be replicated through any form of the Perform skill, manifesting as a particular pattern of steps or a peculiar tattoo on the drums.

The first time each day that the tune is performed by a given person, they are considered to have consumed a single meal's worth of food and drink, and to have slept for two hours. It is also extremely agreeable, granting the performer a +1 morale bonus on all d20 rolls until the completion of the song.

However, the song has an insidious quality; every object within 20' of a performance of the tune takes 1 point of Sonic damage each minute that the song is performed. For each performer within the radius of the effect, the radius is increased by 20', and the damage is doubled.

The song may be taught to anyone over the course of an hour, at which point they must make a DC 10 Perform check to put on their first performance of the tune.

And so they sing the song that ends the world.

Very nice :smallbiggrin:
imo the DC needs to be raised a bit (maybe 15???). It seems like a useful tool for adventures out in the wild.

Amechra
2013-05-10, 12:08 PM
I'm actually going to tweak this a bit mechanically.

The idea is that this tune is a left over anti-army weapon from a primordial civilization; if a group of 100 people sang it, that's 300 damage to every object within 2000 feet.

This includes buildings, armor, the ground, weapons, approaching arrows, spellbooks, spell components...

smoke prism
2013-05-10, 01:10 PM

The idea is that this tune is a left over anti-army weapon from a primordial civilization; if a group of 100 people sang it, that's 300 damage to every object within 2000 feet.

This includes buildings, armor, the ground, weapons, approaching arrows, spellbooks, spell components...

But if they was an army that all started singing it, would they not all over lap and damage each overs items, Or would they send un-equipped special trained shock troopers to sing this song in the mists of the enemy?

(If you don't want to answer all these specifics, don't feel obligated to do so).

zabbarot
2013-05-10, 01:20 PM

Possibly instead of being used by an army against another it could have been used by crowds of commoners in some ancient tyrannical kingdom.

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 05:13 PM
*scribbles in my notebooks to show off some of my spellsongs*

I've done some work on this front, inspired more than a little by Tolkien's work and then expanded. I did them mostly as skill-tricks and the occasionally tactical feat. I'll have to dig them up.

Allnightmask
2013-05-11, 01:44 AM
First thing I thought of was the poem the children in Monster Hunter start singing before you unlock the Fatalis. Second thought, this is pretty wonderful idea and I would enjoy see the mentalist's ideas on this sort of thing too.

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 01:49 AM
I'll add them to my upcoming megapost...

Debihuman
2013-05-11, 09:28 AM
I think this is a cursed item rather than a minor artifact but that's just my opinion.

Phippster
2013-05-11, 10:56 AM
Possibly instead of being used by an army against another it could have been used by crowds of commoners in some ancient tyrannical kingdom.

Do you hear the people sing, singing a song of angry men...

Seems interesting, and the way I'm reading this makes me think that if you're a performer that is playing this song, you and all of your items are exempt from the sonic damage? It makes the most sense given how you have it worded, but if not it would seem a bit counter-intuitive to use this in large-scale groups.

I'd also advise putting some kind of cap on the range, even if you didn't put one on the damage. Imagining either the army or the civilian scenario, if too many people joined in, that distance could easily start hitting other groups -either their own army, or other towns- that they have no intention of harming.

Thugorp
2013-05-14, 03:09 PM
This is pretty ausome it has already made it into my world. Thank you. :-)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2013-05-15, 11:16 AM
so this is why i always get a headache when characters breakout in song.