PDA

View Full Version : THE BROOM! Sweeping up the oposition. & CLEANING WEAPONS REQUEST THREAD!

Thugorp
2013-05-10, 06:42 PM
Edit2: O.k. I think I enjoy this, so I am going to keep doing more different types of brooms, even beyond the Three I originally prommised. HOWEVER, I think I would also like to do more weapons based on other household and cleaning products. SO, PLEASE SUGGEST SOME. This is now a cervice thread. You tell me a household or cleaning item you would like to see weapon stats for and I will stat it up for you so PLEASE POSET! :-D

Edit: O.k. so I have listened to everyone so far and I think I am going to do this by making three versions of the broom which can each be used in three different ways depending on if you have simple weapon proficiency, martial weapon proficiency, or if you take the exotic weapon proficiency feat for it.

I could use some help with making a broom exotic weapon. I will give it a go myself if no one wants to take a crack at it. But if you do your help would be wanted. :-)

I will start off here with the Straw Broom:

Brooms:

Brooms are pretty much the definition of an improvised weapon, and yet in the right hands they can be deadly. But why would anyone bother? Well the answer to that is simpler than it appears at first glance. Brooms are useful tools, that's why everyone owns one, and why some people decide to pack one even in lue of a sward or staff.

Brooms can be used for a wide array of tasks, they can be used as walking sticks, they can prop a door, they can be used to knock things down from on-high, and hey, they can clean a room. How good a broom is in a fight primarily depends on how good at fighting the welder is, but in all cases, unless the bearer of the broom takes the exotic weapon proficiency feat for the implement or it is selected as a commoners one proficient weapon, it will be counted as an improvised weapon.
Additionally, a broom of any sort is capable of preforming a mass Bull Rush against all creatures of fine size or smaller within any particular five foot square threatened by the wielder of the broom. The broom wielder makes a single strength check and then applies that check to each defender individually, any defender that beats the strength checked is not moved, the rest are. The broom wielder is considered to have the, Improved Bull Rush, feat for this attack. Additionally Broom wielders with the exotic weapon proficiency(Broom) feat, may take a full round action to become immune to the swarm attack of any swarms made of fine sized non-flying creatures during the following round.

Straw Broom:

Brooms are handy pieces of equipment and none more useful for general use than a straw broom. Straw brooms are the pinnacle of non-magical house cleaning technology, and any check made to clean an area will get a +5 if you have a straw broom about. Further adventurers some times carry straw brooms with them because they offer a +2 bonus to skill checks made to hide a trail from those who may be trying to track them by following the trail.

In a fight a Straw Broom is fairly versatile though it should still probably be your last choice when it comes to cleaning implement based defense. If you are a person who is only proficient with simple weapons then the Straw Broom, or really any Broom might not be for you. In the hands of a character with only simple weapon proficiency treat the Straw Broom as an improvised short spear that only deals subdule bludgeoning damage.
If you are a bit more skilled you begin to unlock some of the brilliance that is the straw broom, in the hands of a person with Martial weapons proficiency the Straw Broom becomes an improvised double weapon that deals 1d4bludgeoning damage crit: x2 with one end and dazzles with the other(straw) end. If a critical hit is scored with the dazzling straw end, enough dust is shook off into the enemy's face that he sneezes, dazing him for one round as well as dazzling him.
Finally if you have taken the, Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Broom), feat you may remove the -4 improvised weapon penalty when using the Straw Broom in either of the above modes additionally, if you have the exotic weapon proficiency(broom) feat,once after each time you clean at least one room with the straw broom, or each round you are in a particularly dusty, dry sandy, or powdery snowy, environment you gain the ability to use the fog cloud spell as an extraordinary ability, as a full round action.

Straw Broom: Medium Simple Weapon(improvised); 4c.p.; Dmg. 1d6; Critical X2; Range --; 5lb.; Bludgeoning(subdual only) or Medium Martial Weapon(improvised); 4c.p.; Dmg. 1d4/dazzle; Critical X2/Daze; Range --; 5lb.; Bludgeoning/special or Medium Exotic Weapon; 4c.p.; Dmg. 1d4/dazzle; Critical X2/Daze; Range --; 5lb.; Bludgeoning/special; Special: Wielder may use the Fog Cloud spell as an extraordinary ability, as a full round action, given certain conditions.

Twig Broom:

Brooms are handy pieces of equipment and none more useful for general use than a straw broom. However, it is an unfortunate fact that some peasants can't afford even one these simple tools. These unfortunate people have to make due with Twig brooms. Some call the twig broom, the poor man's broom, most just forget they exist. Do to the inferior quality of a twig broom checks made to clean an area get only a +3 bonus with a twig broom. Further twig brooms offer no bonus to skill checks made to hide trails.
Additionally, Twig Brooms, may be used to make a Bull Rush attempt against both fine and diminutive creatures in a threatened square, as opposed to just diminutive ones. Further Twig Broom wielders with the exotic weapon proficiency(Broom) feat, may take a full round action to become immune to the swarm attack of any swarms made of diminutive or smaller sized non-flying creatures during the following round.

In battle the Twig Broom represents the mid point, between the Straw Broom and the War Broom, and is in fact the direct precursor to the War Broom. The Twig Broom could well be described as the Bard of cleaning product based defense as it is serviceable in many areas but doesn't truly stand out in any. If you are a person who is only proficient with simple weapons then the Twig Broom, or really any Broom might not be for you. In the hands of a character with only simple weapon proficiency treat the Twig Broom as an improvised short spear that only deals subdule bludgeoning damage.
If you are a bit more skilled you begin to unlock some of the potential that the Twig Broom might have, in the hands of a person with Martial weapons proficiency the Twig Broom becomes an improvised double weapon that deals 1d4bludgeoning damage crit: x2 with one end and dazzles with the other(twig) end. If a critical hit is scored with the dazzling twig end, you poke out one of your opponents eyes decreasing his visual range by half the current distance, if the opponent runs out of eyes he is blinded.
Finally if you have taken the, Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Broom), feat you may remove the -4 improvised weapon penalty when using the Twig Broom in either of the above modes additionally, if you have the exotic weapon proficiency(broom) feat, you gain the ability to use the Breeze spell as an extraordinary ability, 1/round, as a full round action.

Twig Broom: Medium Simple Weapon(improvised); 2c.p.; Dmg. 1d6; Critical X2; Range --; 8lb.; Bludgeoning(subdual only) or Medium Martial Weapon(improvised); 2c.p.; Dmg. 1d4/dazzle; Critical X2/See Text; Range --; 8lb.; Bludgeoning/special or Medium Exotic Weapon; 2c.p.; Dmg. 1d4/dazzle; Critical X2/See Text; Range --; 8lb.; Bludgeoning/special; Special: Wielder may use the Breeze spell as an extraordinary ability, at will, as a full round action.

Breeze

Conjuration

Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0

Components: V, S, DF

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Duration: Concentration + 1 minute

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

You conjure up a cool breeze within a Close range of yourself that moves as you move, up to 5 MPH in intensity, limiting it to fanning flames, repelling smoke, cooling the overheated or stirring up ground fog. The breeze sweeps over an area up to Close range in all directions from you, and can blow outwards from you, inwards towards you, in any compass direction, upwards, downwards or in a sweeping circle around you, as directed.

O.K. GUYS! How do you like it so far? More to come, I still have two (edit: lots) more versions of the Broom to come! What do you guys think?!?!?!

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 07:56 PM
Broom... I'll come up with a few options within the next day or so.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-10, 08:06 PM
+5 to hit vs.creatures at least 3 size categories smaller than you.
You can set it on fire for +1 fire damage; broom is destroyed after 1d6 rounds.
Reach.

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 08:49 PM
maybe it could deal elemental damage, probably wind
and it could deal extra damage against earth elementals

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 09:14 PM
Broom [Simple]
1d4 x2 Bludgeoning
+2 to Feint attempts

Broom [Martial]
1d4 x2 Bludgeoning
+2 to Feint attempts
+2 to Trip attempts

Broom [Exotic]
1d4 x2 Bludgeoning
+2 to Feint attempts
+2 to Trip attempts
Feint as a Swift Action
As a Standard Action create a Gust of Wind (as the spell) as an extraordinary effect
As a Move Action create an Obscuring Mist (as the spell) as an extraordinary action
Deals an additional die of damage for every size category smaller than the wielder
Attacks 5ft line for every two size categories above Small

Design Note: I've always felt that Exotic Weapon feats have never been worth the feat so I make them what would be good for a feat.

Thugorp
2013-05-10, 09:32 PM
hmmm... I really like that, but shouldn't the broom be a double weapon? It seems about the size of a staff. I very much like the obscuring mist, though I think there should be a requirement that the area be dusty, or heavy on the dry dirt. The busts of wind seem a bit over blown, but maybe the ability to use the following cantripe would work:

Breeze

Conjuration

Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0

Components: V, S, DF

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Duration: Concentration + 1 minute

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

You conjure up a cool breeze within a Close range of yourself that moves as you move, up to 5 MPH in intensity, limiting it to fanning flames, repelling smoke, cooling the overheated or stirring up ground fog. The breeze sweeps over an area up to Close range in all directions from you, and can blow outwards from you, inwards towards you, in any compass direction, upwards, downwards or in a sweeping circle around you, as directed.

While this spell is traditionally connected to the caster, if you are a divine spellcaster you may choose to anchor it at the time of casting to any area sacred to your diety, such as a temple, sacred glade or any area under the protection of a Hallow or Desecrate spell (depending on alignment), or similar divine aegis. You must still cast no other spell, or the effect disperses, but actual concentration is not required and the cantrip lasts instead the duration of the spell effect (in the case of Hallow), up to a maximum of 24 hours. To cast this version of the cantrip, you must be holding a Holy Symbol of your faith, which is left behind at the center of the spells effect (which ends immediately if it is moved). The Holy Symbol is not expended in the casting.

Obviousely the second part of this spell won't work.

Thugorp
2013-05-10, 09:38 PM
maybe it could deal elemental damage, probably wind
and it could deal extra damage against earth elementals

Why earth elementals?

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 09:39 PM
That's fine, I was sort of imagining some scenes from wirefu movies when I added the Gust of Wind. It's only semi-serious. Remove it if it doesn't fit your flavor.

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 09:49 PM
Why earth elementals?

the broom thinks they're dirt?

Thugorp
2013-05-10, 10:17 PM
LOL that sounds like a magic Item, I cold wright that up. Though at the moment I am looking for a mundane one. I think I have enough to wright up a cool weapon. I will do so later tonight.

Meanwhile shameless plug for my minor master class!

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 10:35 PM
you could make it so that one end is just like a staff, and the other end, as well as being a staff, forces an enemy spell caster who is hit by the end with bristles to make a will save, DC x and if they fail then they get minus x to any concenration checks for the next few turns

Thugorp
2013-05-10, 11:13 PM
I was thinking something like that, but I was thinking maybe it would dazle or blind instead of doing damage. Do you think that is to week? should it do damage and dazzle? Is blinding too good?

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 11:27 PM
damage, and then they make a fort save, DC whatever, and if they succeed they get dazzled, and if they fail they get blinded?

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 01:24 AM
Hmmm... I think damage and an effect either way seems a bit strong. hhhh.. What if it was a twig broom instead of a straw broom and it was a double weapon it would deal 1d4 with the handle end, and 1damage + dazzling with the bristles end, it would blind on a critical hit. Is that too week?

otherwise I was thinking maybe a war broom, same handle end but with sharpened twigs on the other end that deal 1d2 and then as you said + fort save, DC whatever, and if they succeed they get dazzled, and if they fail they get blinded?

What do you guys think?

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 01:44 AM
I'm going to argue from the "Make an Exotic worth the f'ing feat" and say that throwing a 1 round blind on a failed save is something that could work, BUT (and it's a big round juicy but) only make them make the save once per round and make it reflex.

Hanuman
2013-05-11, 01:44 AM
Just add 3' to a horsehair whip's shaft, change the name, give it a trip, a 10' reach and deals nonlethal.

yw

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 02:06 AM
Just add 3' to a horsehair whip's shaft, change the name, give it a trip, a 10' reach and deals nonlethal.

yw

Could you post the weapon you are talking about?

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 07:36 PM
O.K. the first broom is up, as well as a catigory Broom, tell me what you guys think! More to come!!! :-)

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 07:42 PM
It looks good. The formatting could maybe use some help but it's a solid weapon.

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 07:55 PM
I would LOVE, help with the formating. please post a suggestion and I will edit the o.p.

as for the weapon itself, just wait for the next two versions of the broom. don't forget there is an other standard kind, and what normally happens when people start using household implements as weapons? That's right. stay tuned.

Thugorp
2013-05-14, 02:39 PM
O.k. peeps, I have added a new weapon, the Twig Broom, I have also, made a pretty serious change to the Straw Broom, I am interested to hear what you guys think?

I have also, opened this thread up to be a request an item thread SO give me your critiques and you requests PLEASE!