PDA

View Full Version : Question on The Demented One's Soul Disciple

Temotei
2013-05-10, 07:20 PM
The Demented One made the soul disciple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4651801) almost five years ago, and he doesn't frequent these forums anymore.

That's where you come in. What would you rule/interpret bound strike and bound stance as allowing? Can you choose to bind them to any chakra or are they only available to be bound to chakras available to you to bind to with soulmelds?

In either case, does binding a strike or stance to a chakra take that chakra up and so disallowing any soulmelds from affecting that chakra or does it not?

The questions ask what you would rule or interpret the features as allowing, since I'm not getting a clear read on it. If you see clearer rules on it or get it better than I do, I'd appreciate you explaining that to me.

Thanks for your time.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-10, 08:20 PM
There's nothing to interpret. You can't bind anything to a chakra you don't have access to, and without specific feats you can't bind more than one thing to a chakra. This is in Magic of Incarnum.

Blueiji
2013-05-10, 11:54 PM
A player of mine is currently playing a Soul Disciple, and upon reaching five he realised that although he had the ability to form only one Soulmeld, yet he could make two Chakra binds, he also has access to only one location to bind chakras.

This led us to the conclusion that either

a) The Demented One intended for Stances and Strikes to be able to be bound anywhere, regardless of whether a Soul Disciple has "unlocked" those chakras.

or

b) The Demented One intended Bound Strikes and Bound Stances not to count as occupying a Soulmeld slot and you're supposed to be able to have them "overlap".

I ended up ruling in favor of option 'b', which is what my player preferred.

Either way, Bound Strikes and Bound Stances don't function like normal soulmelds.

Temotei
2013-05-11, 12:33 AM
There's nothing to interpret. You can't bind anything to a chakra you don't have access to, and without specific feats you can't bind more than one thing to a chakra. This is in Magic of Incarnum.

You can form soulmelds over those chakra, however, and bound strike and bound stance suggest they are like chakra binds, but don't say it explicitly, hence my question.

A player of mine is currently playing a Soul Disciple, and upon reaching five he realised that although he had the ability to form only one Soulmeld, yet he could make two Chakra binds, he also has access to only one location to bind chakras.

This led us to the conclusion that either

a) The Demented One intended for Stances and Strikes to be able to be bound anywhere, regardless of whether a Soul Disciple has "unlocked" those chakras.

or

b) The Demented One intended Bound Strikes and Bound Stances not to count as occupying a Soulmeld slot and you're supposed to be able to have them "overlap".

I ended up ruling in favor of option 'b', which is what my player preferred.

Either way, Bound Strikes and Bound Stances don't function like normal soulmelds.

Thanks much.

Helpful responses in short posts. Thanks, guys.

Blueiji
2013-05-11, 01:59 AM
What ruling did you end up going with for your game/character?

Temotei
2013-05-11, 02:08 AM
What ruling did you end up going with for your game/character?

The second option you gave was used. Thanks again. :smallsmile: