PDA

View Full Version : Half-Petal Template

Kazyan
2013-05-12, 07:26 PM
Fey can breed with creatures almost universally, provided the conditions are right. Conditions can be hard to satisfy for some races, despite the fact that both parties may want to be together: size differences make it hard to bear offspring. With the proper application of magic, even very small fey can bear children with the primarily human-sized races that populate the world. This is no better exemplified by the beautiful and kind petals, whose many positive qualities--charm, grace, hardiness--make them attractive partners to all kinds of races. If only they weren't so minute.

Magic comes to the rescue, and after some time, a half-petal is born.

Smaller than most half-fey and less magically inclined, half-petals are nonetheless even more graceful than those of less distinct lineage. They always have brightly colorful features, often with exotic skin tones, and smell faintly and distinctly of flowers. They have solidly colored wings of smooth, fabric-like flesh with no bones, with variations sometimes observed, such as visible plant-like veins or gradient colors. Sometimes, plant veins are interwoven in their hair, or their hair produces a pleasant-smelling pollen-like powder.

Creating a Half-Petal

Half-petal is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal living creature referred to hereafter as the base creature. It retains all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Type: Unchanged. Petals do not produce true half-fey children. Scholar consensus is that their tiny bodies don't have enough supernatural essence...whatever that means.

Gradual Flight (Ex): All half-petals have wings, as described above, but these wings are initially not strong enough to support flight. A half-petal can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Half-petals glide at a speed of 20 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a half-petal's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A half-petal can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a half-petal becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and weak ligaments stiffen the wings. The half-petal descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only up to 3d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.

When a half-petal reaches 4 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed equal to their land speed (average maneuverability). A half-petal can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. half-petals can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Half-petals are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because half-petals can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 10 Hit Dice, half-petals have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods, and their fly speed increases to double their land speed (good maneuverability). Flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A half-petal with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the half-petal must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A half-petal can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A half-petal with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.

Size: A half-petal is one size smaller than the base creature, unless this would reduce their size to smaller than Tiny.

Speed: Same as the base creature, but subtract 10' from land speed if the resulting size is Small or larger, or 5' if the resulting size is Tiny.

Special Attacks: A half-petal gains the Sleep Songs ability of a petal, and can sing along with other petals or half-petals.

Special Qualities: Half-petals have low-light vision, a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects, and DR/cold iron equal 1 + 1/5 their Hit Dice.

Abilities: Strength -8, Dexterity +2, Constitution +2, Charisma +2. Half-petals inherit the beauty and agility of their fey parent, in addition to the comparative hardiness for such a small fey. They also retain the embarrassing lack of strength.

Skills: Half-petals have a +2 racial bonus to Craft (flower arranging) checks.

Alignment: Usually one step closer to neutral good than the base creature.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2.

Thugorp
2013-05-14, 02:56 PM
I very much like this, good show, I would say that maybe you could decrease it's bonuses by half and make it a +1 L.A. and that would make me much more likely to play one. :-)

Kazyan
2013-05-14, 05:27 PM
Thank you, thank you.

Keeping the reduction in size category and gradual flight would be LA +1 just on their own, in my opinion--keeping half of the numerical benefits would make it over-the-top for LA+1. I was aiming for LA+2, and hope that the listed benefits are very playable for their adjustment, but not "optimized".

Thugorp
2013-05-14, 05:35 PM
I think they are at the very tippy top, of +2LA but would love to see a version that would fit into +1 category that keeps the size and the wings, I would suggest giving a minus to wisdom and reducing some of the ability bonus but I will leave it to you. Can you post a link to the petals? or list what book they are from?

Kazyan
2013-05-14, 05:53 PM
Hmm, so I need to adjust down the numbers quite a lot.

Petals are from MMIII.

Thugorp
2013-05-14, 06:20 PM
Thanks I have that one! :-D

Kazyan
2013-05-14, 06:36 PM
Okay, the DR is much nerfed, and adjusted the ability scores downward.

LordErebus12
2013-05-14, 07:33 PM
Hmm, if its LA +2, why not simply play a petal?

i realize its a cohort, but im playing a Petal in a game right now, and the race itself has an LA +2 with no racial HD. so whats the point of having a template of it, more or less?

Kazyan
2013-05-14, 07:36 PM
Because I got inspired and wanted to make an interesting template. Also, petals have the (cohort) on their LA.

LordErebus12
2013-05-14, 07:54 PM
Because I got inspired and wanted to make an interesting template. Also, petals have the (cohort) on their LA.

that is true, yes. I applaud you inspiration, its a nice template. I was just curious.