PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Wrecan

goodyarn
2013-05-13, 11:11 PM
Hi all:

I am writing to let you know that Wrecan aka Mark, who moderated at least one thread that I know of on this site, died suddenly of heart failure about two weeks ago.

I have known Wrecan since freshman year of college. He was a great guy and a great friend.

Just letting you all know.

Porthos
2013-05-13, 11:42 PM
Oh no!!! :smalleek::smalleek: :smallfrown::smallfrown:

He was one of the posters I always liked seeing here when he was about. :smallfrown:

*gives a long moment of silence* :smallfrown:

SaintRidley
2013-05-13, 11:44 PM
Sad news.

I bow my head to your memory, Wrecan.

ti'esar
2013-05-13, 11:52 PM
That's sad news. I always had a great deal of respect for him.

Gift Jeraff
2013-05-13, 11:59 PM
A long-time curator for two of the board's key threads and, more importantly, a nice guy. He will be missed. :smallfrown:

Rest in Peace.

Bird
2013-05-14, 12:14 AM
That is so very awful.

Condolences to you, goodyarn.

137ben
2013-05-14, 12:24 AM
Whoah!:smallfrown:

Sad news indeed. He will be missed deeply.

MReav
2013-05-14, 12:29 AM
Wow... that's sad.

No words can really help can they?

Mike Havran
2013-05-14, 12:34 AM
That is sad :smallfrown: I've been on the forums only for a short while, but I remember him from the threads.

Rest in Peace

TaiLiu
2013-05-14, 12:41 AM
It was a beautiful funeral, I hope. Goodbye, Wrecan. :smallfrown:

Bulldog Psion
2013-05-14, 12:49 AM
Sad news indeed. :smallfrown:

B. Dandelion
2013-05-14, 12:53 AM
He was a class act. Nice guy, smart, and a really good contributor. This really is a pity. :smallfrown::smallfrown:

The Pilgrim
2013-05-14, 03:41 AM
Rest in peace. :smallfrown:

super dark33
2013-05-14, 04:12 AM
:smallfrown:
He was a great forumite, and an even greater person.

Sunken Valley
2013-05-14, 04:14 AM
This is sad. Very sad. Goodbye Wrecan.

But wait. How come Wrecan last logged in yesterday according to his profile here? Can anyone explain that?

Kish
2013-05-14, 04:46 AM
Oh wow, this is so sad.

Rest in peace, Wrecan.

Flame of Anor
2013-05-14, 04:54 AM
That's terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that. :smallfrown:

Though, yeah, this is a bit weird.

But wait. How come Wrecan last logged in yesterday according to his profile here? Can anyone explain that?

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-14, 06:05 AM

Yep, that sure is a mystery..... :smallsigh:

Probably somebody used his computer to come to this website.

sam79
2013-05-14, 06:40 AM
Sad news. My condolances to his friends and family. He was a gentleman in the Playground.

Kurald Galain
2013-05-14, 07:04 AM
Sad news indeed! My condolences to all those close to him

goodyarn
2013-05-14, 08:50 AM
This is sad. Very sad. Goodbye Wrecan.

That was his wife. She told me she was logging on to try to find his threads, so she could read posts of his that she had never read before.

It was a lovely funeral, thanks. Many people and lots of tears. He touched a lot of people.

They even buried him at the foot of a beautiful tree.

LuPuWei
2013-05-14, 09:43 AM
R.I.P., Wrecan.

RMS Oceanic
2013-05-14, 10:37 AM
:smallfrown:

I still remember PMing him for permission to take over the Class & Geekery thread.

Mark, you are in my thoughts and prayers. As is your family and friends.

ThePhantasm
2013-05-14, 10:54 AM
Sad to hear of this.

FujinAkari
2013-05-14, 10:59 AM
Wow... I am crushed to read about this as well. Wrecan was one of the only people on the forums that never posted anything which I disagreed with. I always considered him well-balanced and logical... I am very sorry for your loss :(

Fitzclowningham
2013-05-14, 11:39 AM
RIP, Wrecan. You were a class act.

I hope they have good scrying where you're going so you can at least find out how OotS ends.

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-14, 11:50 AM
Oh, wow...this is awful news. :(

But thank you for letting us all know.

Yana
2013-05-14, 11:57 AM
His memory will serve as in inspiration to us all. I can only hope that the threads that he oversaw will maintain the excellence that he perpetuated.

Onyavar
2013-05-14, 12:42 PM
Even as I'm not a well-connected forumgoer, I noticed Wrecan more than once for good, solid posts and well-thought opinions.

That's a way I don't want to leave: Not knowing how OotS ends. And all the other good things in life, of course.

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-05-14, 01:06 PM
I was a lurker for years before I became a poster. I remember Wrecan as being friendly to other posters and having a cool head; and I remember him cooling down nasty arguments and welcoming newbies.

I can't say that I knew him, or noticed him much, but I do remember feeling "Oh, good, Wrecan's just entered the thread" more than once.

I don't remember him arguing. I remember him discussing, but never arguing. There's a difference.

From what little I know of him, I offer my condolences for a man who had a cool head and a warm heart.

I wish I had known him better.

Sir_Leorik
2013-05-14, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences to his wife and family.

The Troubadour
2013-05-14, 03:08 PM
My condolences to his family and friends.

The Giant
2013-05-14, 03:13 PM
I read this last night, and I didn't know exactly how to form a response until now.

There are a lot of people who post here that I, to be honest, never notice. Mark wasn't one of them. A few years ago, we were looking for new moderators for the board and needed to come up with posters who were nice, well-liked, well-spoken, and responsible. The first name I thought of to put on the list was Wrecan. He ended up turning me down, but in retrospect, that was for the best. I would hate to think that I had wasted any of his time cleaning up messes around here.

I only talked privately with Mark a few times, but the most recent such time he was kind enough to tell me I was a mensch. Which I think actually describes him far better than it does me. He will definitely be missed here.

And goodyarn, expect a PM from me.

Flame of Anor
2013-05-14, 04:59 PM
That was his wife. She told me she was logging on to try to find his threads, so she could read posts of his that she had never read before.

But presumably she couldn't, since search is disabled. Could an exception be made for her?

It was a lovely funeral, thanks. Many people and lots of tears. He touched a lot of people.

They even buried him at the foot of a beautiful tree.

That's nice.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-05-14, 05:15 PM
You can find threads you commented in on the User CP.

Shale
2013-05-14, 05:19 PM
Oh, no.

I don't think I ever exchanged many words with Wrecan, but if you asked me who the pillars of the GiantITP forum were, his name would be very high on the list. He was a good guy, and I feel lucky he chose to spend some time here. My sympathies to his family.

SowZ
2013-05-14, 06:50 PM
My sincere condolences as well.

Flame of Anor
2013-05-14, 10:21 PM
You can find threads you commented in on the User CP.

You can from the public profile, if that's what you mean, but that's disabled with the search function. If there's another way to do it, from the User CP, I am not familiar with it.

Douglas
2013-05-14, 11:37 PM
But presumably she couldn't, since search is disabled. Could an exception be made for her?
It's not a matter of permissions, it's a matter of the technical resources required for it not existing. Rebuilding the tables and indices required to enable search for any one person would take exactly as much time as doing it to enable search for everyone at once. And that time is, at a minimum, 3 or 4 days (during which the forums would be down completely) unless there have been some major behind the scenes changes I'm not aware of that were somehow accomplished with negligible downtime (a possibility I find extremely unlikely).

rodneyAnonymous
2013-05-15, 12:11 AM
You can from the public profile, if that's what you mean, but that's disabled with the search function. If there's another way to do it, from the User CP, I am not familiar with it.

No, I mean "View all subscribed threads" (you auto-subscribe to threads you post in).

Porthos
2013-05-15, 12:19 AM
(you auto-subscribe to threads you post in).

Not if you turn subscriptions off.

ShadowFireLance
2013-05-15, 01:00 AM
Holy..crap, I'm..I don't know what to say, seen him around the forums a lot, but..
wow.
My condolonces to everyone, his wife, family, and friends.

Flame of Anor
2013-05-15, 01:27 AM
It's not a matter of permissions, it's a matter of the technical resources required for it not existing. Rebuilding the tables and indices required to enable search for any one person would take exactly as much time as doing it to enable search for everyone at once. And that time is, at a minimum, 3 or 4 days (during which the forums would be down completely) unless there have been some major behind the scenes changes I'm not aware of that were somehow accomplished with negligible downtime (a possibility I find extremely unlikely).

Oh...I see.

Mc. Lovin'
2013-05-15, 03:19 AM
Wrecan was most certainly one of the forumgoers who I respected the most. I'll always be thankful for the Class Level and Geekery thread which he started. My thoughts are with you :smallfrown:

Killer Angel
2013-05-15, 06:50 AM
Ouch. This hurts. :smallfrown:

Traderjodie
2013-05-15, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm Jodie, Mark's wife. I wanted to write and thank you for the outpouring of support from these boards. My family read and loved OOTS together. It was one of the lovely things we enjoyed as a family and the importance of that just cannot be underestimated.

I know that Mark got a lot of joy from this place so I thank you Rich and all the members for adding happiness to his life and ours.

We will keep reading.

-Jodie

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-05-15, 12:48 PM

I, for one, would be willing to have the forums shut down for four days, if it brought comfort to Wrecan's family. I'd be willing to have the forums shut down for a month.

deworde
2013-05-15, 01:10 PM
I, for one, would be willing to have the forums shut down for four days, if it brought comfort to Wrecan's family. I'd be willing to have the forums shut down for a month.
Why don't we add them to this thread a la Index of the Giant's Comments? All the comments he made that we liked.

Personal fave:

No, he's not. I will rename him Brunchroom Warlock, since he's more likely to drop the fork than his class.

So sorry for your loss Jodie.

lastgreypoet
2013-05-15, 01:42 PM
I'm an infrequent visitor to the forums, but every trip here always involved reading threads Wrecan maintained. Rest in peace.

KillingAScarab
2013-05-15, 01:43 PM
Why don't we add them to this thread a la Index of the Giant's Comments? All the comments he made that we liked.I think this is a great idea.

Comic specific contributions: Here's a guess about Therkla (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4303856&postcount=31) which I found amusing. Wrecan was among the first to decipher Haley's speech (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-4938.html). It looks like Wrecan also made contributions to the timeline on the wiki (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10065824&postcount=195).

He also started a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255396) to point out a D&D documentary.
Note I have no affiliation with any of the people working on this project. I just think it is important that the heritage of D&D be preserved.

I'm sure others will be able to find more personal posts.

TerrickTerran
2013-05-15, 01:46 PM
as a long time class geekery thread reader, I remeber Wrecan well. RIP.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-15, 01:53 PM
I am extreamly sorry to hear that this has happened. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family, Traderjodie. :smallfrown:

Bird
2013-05-15, 08:34 PM
At least it's still possible to do a poor man's search of Wrecan's threads on Google. Just enter this:

wrecan site:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/

and say "yes" at the bottom to viewing similar results. It'll come up with tons of hits.

Haluesen
2013-05-15, 09:24 PM
Oh dear, this is horribly sad. :smallfrown:

I'm actually sad to say that I've never spoken to Wrecen myself or been involved in any of his discussions, but he sounds like truly a wonderful person. It's good to see someone who inspires so many others, as seen by all the lovely comments here. Condolences to his family and their loss. I absolutely second the scrying comment. I really do wish I could have seen him as others here do. Well...R.I.P Mark. :smallfrown:

wingnutx
2013-05-15, 09:48 PM
Condolences :smallfrown:

ref
2013-05-18, 01:41 AM
That is very sad news. I can only give my best wishes to his family.

Umberhulk
2013-05-18, 01:59 AM
I don't know of Wrecan on this forum, but I assume it the same Wrecen from WOTC's forums over the past several or more years. There are about half a dozen people on the various boards I have visited over the years whose posts are always a pleasure to read, and Wrecen was one of them. So sad to lose such a prolific and respected community member.

Cizak
2013-05-18, 07:35 AM
I didn't interact with Wrecan all that much, but he seemed like a kind and respectable man. My condolences.

Flame of Anor
2013-05-18, 06:13 PM
I don't know of Wrecan on this forum, but I assume it the same Wrecen from WOTC's forums over the past several or more years. There are about half a dozen people on the various boards I have visited over the years whose posts are always a pleasure to read, and Wrecen was one of them. So sad to lose such a prolific and respected community member.

Someone might want to let them know.

KillingAScarab
2013-05-18, 09:39 PM
I don't know of Wrecan on this forum, but I assume it the same Wrecen from WOTC's forums over the past several or more years. There are about half a dozen people on the various boards I have visited over the years whose posts are always a pleasure to read, and Wrecen was one of them. So sad to lose such a prolific and respected community member.I imagine Wrecan, like so many of us, had accounts strewn far and wide across the Internet which his family must now track down or otherwise decide how to handle. One of the posts I noted above featured a broken link to a Photobucket account.

A reminder of how these sorts of things are not built to cease functioning when you do.

Umberhulk
2013-05-18, 11:17 PM
Someone might want to let them know.

I posted a thread last night on the Paizo forums. There were already a bunch at WOTC. He was very involved there. He was a respected man.

intheory
2015-05-18, 08:03 AM
I've been lurking on these forums for several years now, but when I saw the bodyguard in today's strip, I recognized the name. Like many others, I have always found Wrecan to be a valuable contributor, and I was sad to discover this thread when searching for him. My deepest condolences to Jodie and the rest of his family and friends.

t209
2015-05-18, 08:33 AM
Wait, The bodyguard is named after him.

Psyren
2015-05-18, 08:58 AM
Wait, The bodyguard is named after him.

This appears to be intentional. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415900-OOTS-986-The-Discussion-Thread&p=19269578&viewfull=1#post19269578)

CoffeeIncluded
2015-05-18, 09:17 AM
That's because he's a tribute character.

I...kind of don't want this one to be locked and inevitably deleted. Or if it is, I feel like there should be a replacement thread or something.

Savannah
2015-05-18, 09:39 AM
The Mod One Out: Normally we ask that you get permission for posting in older threads prior to posting, but in this case I'm going to retroactively grant permission for this thread to come back.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-05-18, 10:01 AM
The Mod One Out: Normally we ask that you get permission for posting in older threads prior to posting, but in this case I'm going to retroactively grant permission for this thread to come back.

Thank you, Savannah.

LordRahl6
2015-05-18, 11:26 AM
It actually makes sense to make a tribute character especially for one who was such a big part of the community. Its also nice that its not going to be a one off cameo.:smallsmile:

my condolensces.:smallfrown:

YossarianLives
2015-05-18, 11:35 AM
I joined the forum to late to see the real Wrecan post but the character in the comic seems great so far.

Demidos
2015-05-18, 11:46 AM
R.I.P.
I mostly remember him by his avatar, which I always thought was super stylish, rather like his posts. I hope the best for you (Traderjodie) and the rest of his family.

ti'esar
2015-05-18, 11:55 AM
I have to admit, I choked up slightly at realizing this character was a tribute. I didn't know Wrecan very well, but I always had a lot of respect for him, and it's good to see that the Giant remembers him as well.

Onyavar
2015-05-18, 01:02 PM
I hope that wherever he is now, he has access to the internet and can enjoy this. After all, there is epic inside. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0510.html)

Douglas
2015-05-18, 03:12 PM
Is it just me, or does the cameo character bear a strong resemblance to the poster's avatar? I'm fairly sure that's intentional, and it's a nice touch.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/Wrecan/Shadow2.jpg

Gift Jeraff
2015-05-18, 03:29 PM
Is it just me, or does the cameo character bear a strong resemblance to the poster's avatar? I'm fairly sure that's intentional, and it's a nice touch.

His avatar was modeled after the Shadowdancer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0225.html), too, and Wrecan noted the resemblance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80101-Silly-Therkla-origin-thread&p=4303856&viewfull=1#post4303856) to the Grand Larcenist (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html) and Therkla's father (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html).

Flame of Anor
2015-05-19, 03:28 AM
Now I'm all sad again. I can't believe it's been two whole years since he died.

DavidBV
2015-05-19, 03:43 AM
I had a big respect for Wrecan and always enjoyed his contributions to the forum. My condolences to the family and friends.

DanaK
2015-05-19, 04:23 AM
*raises glass* Here's to you, Wrecan. You touched many lives - may you be remembered for a long time to come, and may your celestial scrying pool never fail.

Killer Angel
2015-05-19, 06:35 AM
Old wounds can still hurt. But thanks, Giant.

goodyarn
2015-05-19, 08:57 AM

Just want to add that one difference between the cameo character and the avatar is that the cameo character parts his hair right to left, which is how Wrecan parted his hair in real life.

Bravo, Giant.

FujinAkari
2015-05-19, 08:12 PM
Wrecan was truly a fantastic contribute to the community. I don't think the site could have been what it was without him.

137ben
2015-05-19, 08:26 PM
Well, this thread can come back to life.

Sadly, Wrecan cannot. No Raise Dead spells:smallfrown:

Zweisteine
2015-05-20, 05:30 AM
I never had the opportunity to interact with Wrecan, but I remember hearing of him once before, looking up what I could, and thinking "if I only we could have met."

I'm afraid I won't miss him personally, having never met him, but I will miss the impact I saw he made in threads of old.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-05-20, 01:07 PM
Well, this thread can come back to life.

Sadly, Wrecan cannot. No Raise Dead spells:smallfrown:

It's been more than a handful of weeks. We'd need a Resurrection.:smallfrown::smallfrown:

Boogastreehouse
2015-05-20, 01:24 PM

I have to admit, I choked up slightly at realizing this character was a tribute. I didn't know Wrecan very well, but I always had a lot of respect for him, and it's good to see that the Giant remembers him as well.

The Giant is a good man.