PDA

View Full Version : New Feat: Omophage [General]

SuperDave
2013-05-14, 09:04 AM
New Feat: Omophage [General]
Designed for Vespuccia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269334)

Prerequisites
The character must possess the cultures “Arctic” or “Sub-Arctic”, or possess the race “Tuniit (http://www.inuitmyths.com/tuniit.htm)”.

Benefit
In the frozen tundra of the far north, where food is scarce and fuel is even scarcer, one must often choose between staying warm and eating cooked food. A character who possesses this feat has built up an immunity to diseases which are transmitted via the consumption of raw meat, and may consume the flesh of any freshly-killed animal without fear of sickness; though eating rotten meat or the flesh of a diseased or parasite-ridden animal still affects them normally.

Not needing to cook one’s food is often an advantage when time is short, when fuel is not available, or the smoke and light of a cookfire would attract unwanted attention.

This feat also grants the character immunity to food poisoning (http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/food-poisoning), and provides a +2 Fortitude bonus against non-magical illness.

Normal
Without this feat, consuming raw or undercooked meat or eggs is may result in food poisoning, which causes intense discomfort, deals extensive Stamina damage, and can last for several days. In extreme cases, food poisoning can even be life-threatening or fatal.

For complete rules on food poisoning, see Food Poisoning, Real Life And In Game (http://www.efrgames.com/archives/189), by BaneStar007.

See also:

Expanded Skill: Craft Cooking (3.5e Variant Rule) (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Expanded_Skill:_Craft_Cooking_(3.5e_Variant_Rule))

Special
N/A

-----------

Note: I'm very new to homebrewing, so I'm not sure if this feat is balanced or not. The +2 Fort bonus seemed thematically appropriate, but I'm not sure whether it belongs here. I realize that most DMs won't make the party do a cooking check and a Fort save every time they sit down to eat, so I thought that a more generally useful feature of the feat would encourage PCs from Arctic regions to take it.

I also thought about making this feat available only at first level, but it occurred to me that it might be possible to earn it by living in the Arctic for a sufficient length of time, and eating meat as the natives do.

Debihuman
2013-05-14, 10:03 AM
Unless you plan on making a party make lots of saves for eating undercooked food, this isn't terribly likely. Iron rations would negate the need for this despite not being cooked.

It's not a horrible feat. Just compared to most every other feat out there, it's no likely to be taken. I really like that it has environmental prerequisites as that is not something you see every day. Just for that, you win points in my book.

Next time I play Igor Buttercrisp (a mage and chef who specializes in cooking monsters), I'll see what happens. I don't think he's served sushi recently...
Bwahaha!

Reminds me of the Cast Iron Stomach feat from Unconventional Combat: A Digestive Guide to Close Personal Fighting by Patric L Rogers. It's open content, free, and you can probably still find it though Google.

Cast Iron Stomach [Digestive, General]
Benefits: The creature can consume and derive nourishment from just about any organic matter. The character gains a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves to resist ingested poisons or diseases, or any disease that affects or spreads through the digestive system.

And for variation on a them, the similarly-named feat from from the Netbook of Feats:

Cast-Iron Stomach [General]
You can consume the most unpleasant fare without so much as a second thought.
Prerequisite: Con 13
Benefit: You derive nourishment from spoiled food and can avoid dehydration by drinking seawater with few ill effects. By subsisting on these unusual provisions, you double the amount of time you can go without fresh food and water.
Normal: Without this feat you can go without food for three days, after which time you must make a Constitution check (DC 10, + 1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Without this feat you can go without fresh water for one day plus a number of hours equal to your Constitution score, after which you must make Constitution checks as described above, with similar effects for failed checks.
Special: For this feat to take effect, you must have access to formerly edible foods and a supply of salt water. Otherwise, you are just as vulnerable to starvation and dehydration as any other character.

I think yours is comparable.

Debby

SamBurke
2013-05-14, 05:45 PM
My problem is that for this to be useful, I'd have to clog the game I was running up with CONSTANT checks for food and poisoning...

So I'd say underpowered.

SuperDave
2013-05-17, 07:59 AM
Well, between the constant need for cooking checks and the existence of a more player-friendly feat already, it looks like there's not much need for the "Omophage" feat after all. I guess that I'd rather just use the "Cast-Iron Stomach" feat to replace this one.