PDA

View Full Version : Hedgehog 3.5

Tuki Tuki
2013-05-15, 09:54 AM
Part 1.
So hedgehogs don't exist in the d&d universe according to the SRD, so does this sound legit for a hedgehog animal?
Size:Tiny
Hit dice: 1d4
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20ft
armor class: 16 (+2 size, +4 natural(spikes)) touch 12, flat-footed 16
BAB/Grapple: +0/-11(tiny/str)
Attacks: Bite- 1d2
Space/reach: 1ft/0ft
Special attacks: Roll- A hedgehog can attempt to roll at their enemies. In order to initiate a roll, a hedgehog has to charge at the thing they are attacking, and then tumble into the opponent. If they hit, they do 1d3 per attack (damage goes up with size.)
Special qualities:(Looking for suggestions for this)
Saves: Fort+2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 4, dex 14, con 8, int 2, wis 13, cha 4
Skills: +2 racial on tumbling when rolling, (Other suggestions are encouraged)
Environment: Grasslands and plains
Organization: Generally travel in packs of 2-6 hedgehogs
challenge rating: 1/5

Does this sound good? Open to suggestions:smallsmile:

Tuki Tuki
2013-05-15, 09:55 AM
My bad, there is no part 2:smallbiggrin:

zabbarot
2013-05-15, 10:00 AM
I was sure there was one, because I remember it was an option as a familiar. Granted the caster +1 natural armor. I don't remember what book it was from though, so maybe it was 3.0? I think I remember it being poisonous for some reason too, which was weird.

Anyways, your stats look good as far as I can tell. You should add the bit about it being a familiar option. Hedgehog familiars are awesome.

Edit: It's in DMG on p203. Yours is still good though.

Tuki Tuki
2013-05-15, 10:07 AM
I was sure there was one, because I remember it was an option as a familiar. Granted the caster +1 natural armor. I don't remember what book it was from though, so maybe it was 3.0? I think I remember it being poisonous for some reason too, which was weird.

Anyways, your stats look good as far as I can tell. You should add the bit about it being a familiar option. Hedgehog familiars are awesome.

Edit: It's in DMG on p203. Yours is still good though.

Ill check that out, is it only as a familiar in the DMG?

Mando Knight
2013-05-15, 10:09 AM
Saves are off. (Animals have Good Fort and Reflex saves, so 8 Con gives +1 Fort, and 13 Wis gives +1 Will)

Why does it have 4 Str when a house cat, a larger animal (on average, anyway), has 3? I'd give it 2-3.

If it has 14 Dex, it should have +2 to AC from Dex. If not, then it should have a Reflex of 2 + its Dex modifier.

zabbarot
2013-05-15, 10:10 AM
To my knowledge yes. I think it was an optional familiar for small races only. I had one on a gnome once.

Selenir
2013-05-15, 10:11 AM
Do real hedgehogs actually spin-dash at enemies? :P I feel like they just curl up that way defensively. But, I am no expert.

zabbarot
2013-05-15, 10:12 AM
Do real hedgehogs actually spin-dash at enemies? :P I feel like they just curl up that way defensively. But, I am no expert.

Video games taught me everything I know, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Xaotiq1
2013-05-15, 10:58 AM
IIRC, Dragon Magazine #323 has the stats for a hedgehog familiar.

Damn, that was the platypus, sorry.

Thugorp
2013-05-15, 11:07 AM
I belive that as writen the Hit Die should be 1d8-3(1hp)
and the bite should be 1d4-1

The Mentalist
2013-05-15, 11:21 AM
Size:Tiny
Hit dice: 1d4
Animals get a d8 HD maybe do 1/4d8-1
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20ft
armor class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex +4 natural(spikes)) touch 12, flat-footed 16
Dex to AC
BAB/Grapple: +0/-11(tiny/str)
Attacks: Bite- 1d21d2-3
Space/reach: 1ft/0ft Tiny space is 2½ ft.
Special attacks: Roll- A hedgehog can attempt to roll at their enemies. In order to initiate a roll, a hedgehog has to charge at the thing they are attacking, and then tumble into the opponent. If they hit, they do 1d3 per attack (damage goes up with size.)
Special qualities:(Looking for suggestions for this)
Saves: Fort+2, Ref +4, Will +2 Will Save is +1 Fort is as well
Abilities: Str 4, dex 14, con 8, int 2, wis 13, cha 4
Skills: +2 racial on tumbling when rolling, (Other suggestions are encouraged)
Environment: Grasslands and plains
Organization: Generally travel in packs of 2-6 hedgehogs
challenge rating: 1/5

Debihuman
2013-05-15, 09:47 PM
Someone statted these up (it wasn't me).

Hedgehog
Diminutive Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
AC: 16 (+4 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attack: bite +1 melee (1d3-4)
Full Attack: bite +1 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Defensive ball, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +17*, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: ¼
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —

Defensive Ball (Ex): A hedgehog can curl into a ball as a standard action. When curled, he gains a +2 circumstance bonus on AC and saving throws, but suffers a -2 penalty on all Listen and Spot checks.

Skills: Hedgehogs gain a +4 racial bonus on all Hide checks (increased to +8 in areas with undergrowth).

Hedgehog Swarm
Diminutive Animal (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 9d8+21 (57 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 10 ft (2 squares)
Armor Class:18 (+3 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 14, flat footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-
Attack: Swarm (2d6 or 1d6 subdual)
Full Attack: Swarm (2d6 or 1d6 subdual)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/0 ft
Special Attack: Aura of Adorability, Distraction
Special Qualities: Spiny Skin, immune to weapon damage, low-light vision, scent, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Swim +11
Feats: Ability Focus (Aura of Adorability), Ability Focus (Spiny Skin), Improved Initiative, Toughness
Environment: Any temperate
Organization: Solitary, Herd (2-3 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral, often neutral friendly
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: –

To all outward appearances, a hedgehog swarm is simply a large group of small, adorable, spiky balls of fluff. However, many an adventurer has mistakenly considered a hedgehog swarm harmless and found out the hard way that hedgehogs can be dangerous.

Combat

Swarm Attack: While using its spiny skin ability, a hedgehog swarm’s swarm attack deals 2d6 points of piercing damage. While the swarm is not using this ability, its swarm attack deals 1d6 points of subdual damage.

Aura of Adorability (Sp): Any humanoid with in a 60-foot radius of the Hedgehog Swarm must make a DC 17 will save or be affected as if by a suggestion spell. The suggestion is always to abandon all other pursuits (sheathing any weapons and putting away any items held) and admire or pet the hedgehogs. This condition lasts 1d4+1 minutes. If the subject is somehow prevented from petting the hedgehogs, he/she will stand still and watch the swarm (treat as Fascinated, same duration). This suggestion last as long as the creature is within the radius of the affect. The save DC is charisma based (because those hedgehogs are just so darn cute!). This ability is only functional when the hedgehog swarm is not using its Spiny Skin ability.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spiny Skin (Ex): A hedgehog’s skin is covered in short spines that, while relatively harmful in appearance, are actually relatively effective defenses. As a Free Action, the hedgehogs in a hedgehog swarm can curl up into little balls, presenting their spines to the world (effectively taking the Full Defense action). While in this position the swarm cannot move. Additionally, while the swarm is curled up, any creature that hits the swarm with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or manufactured weapon must make a DC 17 Reflex save or take 1d6 points of piercing damage. This damage is in addition to any damage the character might take for being in the hedgehog swarm’s space.

Skills: Hedgehog swarms have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks. It also has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.

Lappy9001
2013-05-16, 12:49 AM
There are hedgehogs in the DMG under Tiny familiars. It actually has a poison attack, which is surprising realistic as the little buggers do try to poison you via infection.

Hedgehog swarms sound adorable.