PDA

View Full Version : Input Needed on Clericish Class Feature

wayfare
2013-05-15, 04:40 PM
Hey All:

I'm designing a combat cleric for an upcoming martial arts game, sort of the cleric version of the Warmage. Here are a few features I've come up with:

Templar PowersChannel Divine Wrath (Su): You have learned to channel divine energies into a deadly strike that revitalizes your allies. Once per round, on a successful attack with a melee or ranged weapon, you may expend a daily use of this ability to inflict +1d6 damage with your attack. If you inflict damage with this attack, an ally within your reach gains temporary hp equal to your Constitution modifier.
At 5th and 9th level, the damage inflicted by Channel Divine Wrath increases by 1d6.
You may use this ability (Constitution modifier +3) times per day. Using this ability is not an action.

Unstoppable Wrath (Su): When you call upon divine wrath, an unstoppable force is unleashed, one capable of smashing through even the strongest defense.
Attacks modified by Channel Divine Wrath ignore any Damage Reduction possessed by the target.

Share Wrath (Su): You have learned how to imbue your allies with divine fury.
As an immediate reaction, you may activate Channel Divine Wrath when an ally hits with an attack.

Channel Divine Wrath is a level 1 ability, and I am wondering where I should put Unstoppable Wrath and Share Wrath. I should note that the classes only go up to 10th level, so i need to fit these abilities in somewhere between levels 1 and 10.

Additional abilities will eventually include sacrificing Channel Divine Wrath for spontaneous extend, empower and enlarge.

Just to Browse
2013-05-15, 07:53 PM
Are you trying to make the warcleric clericmage cleric-fight-thing at the warmage level of balance?

If so, I also recommend going through the spell list by hand and pulling out the stronger spells, then bumping it back a level with spell access. With that done, I'd recommend putting Share Wrath at level 5 (when he gets no new spells) and Unstoppable Wrath at level 10.

The healing on Channel Wrath is pretty weak. 2-3 HP is worth noting at level 1 and maybe level 2, but it goes obsolete after that. Of course, if you want this as strong as a warmage, that's actually probably OK.

Hanuman
2013-05-16, 03:52 AM
I'm not really getting the flavor of this if it relates to martial arts, is this like old wuxia movie magic?

wayfare
2013-05-16, 08:00 AM
Are you trying to make the warcleric clericmage cleric-fight-thing at the warmage level of balance?

If so, I also recommend going through the spell list by hand and pulling out the stronger spells, then bumping it back a level with spell access. With that done, I'd recommend putting Share Wrath at level 5 (when he gets no new spells) and Unstoppable Wrath at level 10.

The healing on Channel Wrath is pretty weak. 2-3 HP is worth noting at level 1 and maybe level 2, but it goes obsolete after that. Of course, if you want this as strong as a warmage, that's actually probably OK.

Yeah, I'm aiming for Tier 4 or Low Tier 3. Its the kind of cleric that walks over and bashes you in the face with its Deity's sacred weapon (heavily buffed) rather than casting a spell at you. The spell list is direct damage effects, buffs, and debuffs.

@Hanuman: The game uses ToB to modify or replace all the melee classes. I still wanted divine and arcane power to exist, but i wanted it to be less powerful than it typically is. So on the arcane end, I just Reskinned Psionics and said "Arcane!" The divine side of things I'm building this Templar class and a Domain-Only cleric to bring things down a bit.

The tournament limits its participants to ToB classes, The Psionic Warrior, and this Templar (Duskblade need not apply, as traditional arcane magic is gone). I'm doing a megapost soon with all the hombrewed classes and world background for feedback.

Debihuman
2013-05-16, 08:35 AM
Are these Alternate Class Features?

The first problem with Channel Divine Wrath is that it can be used once per round for once per day and that makes no sense. It make take a round to use and be useable once a day but your language is muddy.

Having the right weapon would also make ignore many of the damage reduction of monsters. Not a big fan of this one since you can only use it once a day as well since Channel Divine Wrath can only be used once a day.

Share Wrath is again limited to once a day and not feeling all that special.

Debby

wayfare
2013-05-16, 09:15 AM
Are these Alternate Class Features?

The first problem with Channel Divine Wrath is that it can be used once per round for once per day and that makes no sense. It make take a round to use and be useable once a day but your language is muddy.

Having the right weapon would also make ignore many of the damage reduction of monsters. Not a big fan of this one since you can only use it once a day as well since Channel Divine Wrath can only be used once a day.

Share Wrath is again limited to once a day and not feeling all that special.

Debby

I meant to say that it is usable (3 + Constitution modifier) times per day, and that you can spend a daily use to activate the effect, like Turn Undead, except with Con instead of Cha. Did I word that wrong?

Hanuman
2013-05-16, 02:05 PM
@Hanuman: The game uses ToB to modify or replace all the melee classes. I still wanted divine and arcane power to exist, but i wanted it to be less powerful than it typically is. So on the arcane end, I just Reskinned Psionics and said "Arcane!" The divine side of things I'm building this Templar class and a Domain-Only cleric to bring things down a bit
So by martial arts you mean one piece's devil fruit, or dragon-ball-z ki lasers ;]

wayfare
2013-05-16, 03:46 PM
So by martial arts you mean one piece's devil fruit, or dragon-ball-z ki lasers ;]

Thatys more up to the players, i think! I have one player who has vowed to make Bruce Lee noises with every attack roll, and another who has sworn to use "voice activated attacks", ala dragonball. I am actually thinking of brewing a feat that adds damage the longer you stretch out your attack

"Kaaaaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeeehaaaaameeeeeehaaaaaaaaa"

Hanuman
2013-05-16, 10:04 PM
Thatys more up to the players, i think! I have one player who has vowed to make Bruce Lee noises with every attack roll, and another who has sworn to use "voice activated attacks", ala dragonball. I am actually thinking of brewing a feat that adds damage the longer you stretch out your attack

"Kaaaaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeeehaaaaameeeeeehaaaaaaaaa"

Dragon Ball was based around traditional shaolin training, it was a great show. Then, lasers.

It's kind of like you play shadowrun and then people discover the chemical that causes drugs to be absorbed through the skin, and they load drugs into supersoakers. Then it's SupersoakerRun.