PDA

View Full Version : Let's Vote Up a Subsystem! (3.5e) [Part 5: Mechanics!]

caledscratcher
2013-05-16, 07:25 PM
OK, so I was inspired by the recent influx of Voting Up things, so I decided that it'd be a swell idea to, well, Vote Up a Subsystem! After all, everyone knows Magic and Psionics, Incarnum isn't too unheard of, and quite a lot of people know a bunch about Tome of Battle!

But then, there are whole bunches of really cool homebrewed subsystems, such as Spellshaping (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=64.0), Radiance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15054313), the Akashic Records (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=136.0), and probably a whole lot more!

So, first up: the general "type" of subsystem:

{table=head]Votes|Type
0|Magic
2|Psionics
8|Science
6|Martial
2|Fortune-Telling
1|Socialization
1|Truenaming
3|Bodymodding/Shapeshifting/Evolutionism
1|Art
1|Summoning
-|Other (Each unique "Other" will get its own point on the table, so please specify!)[/table]

Have fun! Voting on part one is now OVER! You've chosen: SCIENCE!

Now for part two: the Source of this science.

{table=head]Votes|Source
6|Particles
8|Biology
1|Geology
5|Astronomy
9|Chemistry
9|Engineering
9|Physics
4|Psychology
3|Pseudo-Science
4|Alchemy
2|Economics
1|Mathematics
1|Phrenology
0|Other[/table]

Voting on Part 2 is OVER! You've chosen, by way of a three-way tie (rendering the "top three" thing moot), Chemistry, Engineering, and Physics!

Part three will be centered around the interaction between the three sources, and how they contribute to each other!

{table=head]Votes|Interaction
2|Equal Combination of all three Sources
3|Sources Separate but Intertwined
0|One Dominant Source, Other Two Sources Contributing
2|Equal Combination of Two Sources, Last Source Submissive
0|One Dominant Source, One Intermediate Source, One Submissive Source[/table]

This will be lasting until approximately 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM CDT on Tuesday, June 4th! (And I know I missed my own deadline for this last round, haha.)

Round three: complete! You selected: Sources Separate but Intertwined! This means that they all function similarly, but with different applications! So, to reverse-engineer how they function...

Round four will be Applications! That means, what will each source be used for? Because of the topic, we'll have three separate polls!

{table=head]Chemistry|
Votes|Application
1|Healing
1|Destruction
6|Buffing
1|Invention
1|Transmutation
-|Other[/table]

{table=head]Engineering|
Votes|Application
3|Constructs
4|Building
1|Connection
2|Invention
-|Other[/table]

{table=head]Physics|
Votes|Application
2|Traps
2|Tactics
1|Combos
2|Destruction
3|Buffs/Debuffs
-|Other[/table]

So, deadline majorly ignored this time, so I'm just gonna say that this round will end at some point in time between 1:00 PM and 7:30 PM CDT on Thursday, June 13th! Get voting!

Alright, part four's voting is over! You chose, Buffing for Chemistry, Building for Engineering, and Buffs/Debuffs for Physics!

Now, part five: Mechanic! This will be how the buffs and construction will be carried out! Now, one note is that the buffs (and debuffs) and construction will all be used by all (main) base classes of this subsystem. So, the buffing/debuffing will have one mechanic for both Chemistry and Physics nope, they're separate!, while there will be a single mechanic for Engineering, so as to have relative simplicity.

{table=head]Buffing (Chemistry)|
Votes|Mechanic
4|Per-Day Points.
0|Action-Replenishable Points.
0|Per-Day Abilities.
0|Action-Replenishable Abilities.
-|Other[/table]

{table=head]Buffing (Physics)|
Votes|Mechanic
0|Per-Day Points.
0|Action-Replenishable Points.
0|Per-Day Abilities.
0|Action-Replenishable Abilities.
4|Per-Encounter Actions
-|Other[/table]

{table=head]Building/Construction|
Votes|Mechanic
1|Points/Day
0|Creations/Day
0|Creations/Day and Points/Day
0|Creations/Day and Points/(Other Time Period)
2|Creation Limit and Redistributable Points
1|Creations/Time
-|Other[/table]

So, because I've neglected this, and never put in the enddate for the round, and because my school's summer semester has started up, the enddate for this round is Saturday, June 22nd, sometime between 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM CDT.

OK, Part 5 is over! I'm really sorry, I forgot what day it was... somehow. Alright, Chemistry utilizes Points/Day, Physics utilizes Actions/Encounter, and Engineering utilizes Creation Limit and Redistributable Points!

For Part 6, it's a sort of free-for-all round, and a bit of gateway to the next "round", so to speak. Anyone can put in as many concepts for Base Classes that use the three parts of this system as they can manage, and we'll decide on three! I'll be putting in my own thoughts for classes as we go (to make sure I remember, hehe), and the deadline for these concepts will be, let's say...

Wednesday, July 10th, sometime between 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM, CDT (I want to give about two weeks, but I'm out of town from the third to the seventh, then have work on the 8th, so the 10th seemed like a good enough day. uvu)

137beth
2013-05-16, 07:27 PM
I think martial shouldn't need its own subsystem...
and I'd like to be able to use these in my games, so I'm gonna vote psionics. Something less obscenely overpowered than core.
(I might change this vote later...)

caledscratcher
2013-05-16, 07:31 PM
I think martial shouldn't need its own subsystem...
and I'd like to be able to use these in my games, so I'm gonna vote psionics. Something less obscenely overpowered than core.
(I might change this vote later...)

Well, this will be trying to be as balanced as possible, and it won't be standard psionics if that wins, because, well, it's an entirely new subsystem. I mean, there are probably four or so drastically different forms of using magic, so why can't there be an entirely new spin on psionics? :3 I do appreciate the vote, though!

137beth
2013-05-16, 07:46 PM
Well, this will be trying to be as balanced as possible, and it won't be standard psionics if that wins, because, well, it's an entirely new subsystem. I mean, there are probably four or so drastically different forms of using magic, so why can't there be an entirely new spin on psionics? :3 I do appreciate the vote, though!

Yes, I know it would be a new system. There are already enough magic systems for me, though, and there aren't nearly as many psionics systems.

eftexar
2013-05-16, 07:52 PM
For Science!

Pesimismrocks
2013-05-17, 03:38 PM
Martial. Kind of needs a better system than I hit it with my axe. And ToB contains too much weabo fightin' magics for my taste

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 07:21 PM
Other: Socialization, so there's more to diplomacy than a single roll and it is more dynamic if rolling is something one is fond of.

sirpercival
2013-05-17, 07:35 PM
Should I contribute to this? I mean, besides writing stuff for almost every published subsystem out there, my (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266415) veins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253475) run (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255723) with (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13969514) new (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14648888#post14648888) subsystems (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6390.0), for (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13848941#post13848941) damn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14593421#post14593421) sure (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14610085#post14610085).

Anyway, I vote SCIENCE

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-17, 08:32 PM
I vote Other: Truenaming. Make it a skill for other classes and then develop it into a functioning aspect of the game that anyone can use.

Hanuman
2013-05-17, 08:35 PM
1Ozodrin's Formpoints
2Gramarie
3Psi
4Science

Instant Runoff Vote

sirpercival
2013-05-17, 08:36 PM
I vote Other: Truenaming. Make it a skill for other classes and then develop it into a functioning aspect of the game that anyone can use.

People have already done truenaming fixes. Why don't we do something shiny sparkly new?

137beth
2013-05-17, 09:10 PM
People have already done truenaming fixes. Why don't we do something shiny sparkly new?

Huh...maybe we should make a subsystem based on shininess and sparklyness:smallamused:

caledscratcher
2013-05-17, 09:13 PM
Okay, current votes all tallied up! I listed Ozodrin Formpoints as "Bodymodding/Shapeshifting" because that's the general feel I got from that concept, and the point is to make a whole new subsystem!

Oh, and Note: If you have multiple ideas for "Other", throw them all in! The more the merrier, amirite?

Oh, and sirpercival, it would be an honor to be able to work with you on whatever parts you're willing to assist with! I really mean it. :3

Elricaltovilla
2013-05-17, 09:32 PM
I vote for a new martial subsystem. I love tome of battle, but I think we can do better than just porting over the "vancian casting" system.

Hanuman
2013-05-17, 09:51 PM
Okay, current votes all tallied up! I listed Ozodrin Formpoints as "Bodymodding/Shapeshifting" because that's the general feel I got from that concept, and the point is to make a whole new subsystem!

Oh, and Note: If you have multiple ideas for "Other", throw them all in! The more the merrier, amirite?

Oh, and sirpercival, it would be an honor to be able to work with you on whatever parts you're willing to assist with! I really mean it. :3

Oh I assumed you were looking to expand.
In that case I vote Psionic/Gramarie/Ozodrin/Evolutionist/ToB/Science (Left to right instant runoff), or I just vote to make Tag Tricks as they are WIP/PEACH http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15228355

caledscratcher
2013-05-17, 10:06 PM
Alright, I added evolutionism and tagging to the chart, but there's something that I feel needs clarification:

This is not going to be an expansion of anything! It's taking a general category and making an entirely new system out of it. As a preview of what's to come (and a further example), Round 2 is "Source", I.e. where that power comes from. So if Psionics wins round 1, we might wind up having the source of Courage or Bonds or Empathy, while still maintaining the psionic feel! If Martial wins Round 1, we could have the source of Tattoos or Consumption or Patterns, while maintaining Martial-ness!

Thank you all for voting!

sirpercival
2013-05-18, 06:22 AM

Well, then. Lol. An honor? Really?

Alright, I added evolutionism and tagging to the chart, but there's something that I feel needs clarification:

This is not going to be an expansion of anything! It's taking a general category and making an entirely new system out of it. As a preview of what's to come (and a further example), Round 2 is "Source", I.e. where that power comes from. So if Psionics wins round 1, we might wind up having the source of Courage or Bonds or Empathy, while still maintaining the psionic feel! If Martial wins Round 1, we could have the source of Tattoos or Consumption or Patterns, while maintaining Martial-ness!

Thank you all for voting! Hm... I'm not sure that Gramarie should be on the list, then... unless we're trying to reinvent it as something else? That sounds hellishly complicated.

caledscratcher
2013-05-18, 11:12 AM
Ah, well, in retrospect, reinventing gramarie is kind-of... not a very good plan, in my mind. I wasn't really thinking and pictured it as Magicsience, but that would be achieved if magic and science got equal votes in the voting, so it's quite redundant...

Hm, yeah, gramarie won't be on the chart any more. Also, @sirpercival, I'm a big fan of your work, and I'd love to be able to collaborate with you. uvu

sirpercival
2013-05-18, 12:37 PM
Ah, well, in retrospect, reinventing gramarie is kind-of... not a very good plan, in my mind. I wasn't really thinking and pictured it as Magicsience, but that would be achieved if magic and science got equal votes in the voting, so it's quite redundant...

Hm, yeah, gramarie won't be on the chart any more. Also, @sirpercival, I'm a big fan of your work, and I'd love to be able to collaborate with you. uvu

Well, excellent. I'll help as much as I can, though my wife is due to have baby #2 in the next couple weeks.

caledscratcher
2013-05-18, 02:31 PM
Ok, update in regards to categories: Gramarie was removed, Evolutionism was merged with Bodymodding/Shapeshifting, and Tagging was changed to Art so that it'd be more general (and therefore, fitting!)

WyvernLord
2013-05-18, 10:07 PM
Throwing in my vote for martial for an option other then ToB.

Hiyaa

137beth
2013-05-18, 10:09 PM
If psionics does not get another vote soon, then I will change my vote to martial. But not yet, let's wait and see...
Yay, another vote for psions!

Sodalite
2013-05-18, 10:24 PM
I'll vote for Fortune-Telling, with a bit more of a 'shapes fate' flavor than a 'sees fate' one.

Zaydos
2013-05-18, 10:26 PM
I'll vote for Psionics!

137beth
2013-05-18, 11:20 PM
I'll vote for Psionics!

Wooo!! Let's take down those materialistic martialists!

WyvernLord
2013-05-18, 11:49 PM
Wooo!! Let's take down those materialistic martialists!

Meh psionics was my second choice anyway.
It would be interesting to see how a new subsystem would work.

137beth
2013-05-19, 02:06 AM
Meh psionics was my second choice anyway.
It would be interesting to see how a new subsystem would work.

Yea, I'd be pretty happy with a martial subsystem too. There are nice homebrew martial classes which don't use any subsystems, but I still think it would be nice to have one, and ToB doesn't really cut it for me.

CinuzIta
2013-05-19, 07:21 AM
my vote goes to science!:)

Glimbur
2013-05-19, 08:05 AM
Fortune Telling! I'm curious to see what can be done with it.

3WhiteFox3
2013-05-19, 08:24 PM
I'll throw in my vote for Science.

137beth
2013-05-20, 08:55 PM
I'm going to officially change my vote to martial, since psionics appears to be a loser right now.

Svata
2013-05-20, 09:40 PM
I'm torn between Psionics and Science...

Screw it, I vote Science.

bobthe6th
2013-05-20, 10:27 PM
Adding the summoning category.

Ringwrym
2013-05-20, 10:48 PM
Bodymoding

togapika
2013-05-21, 12:30 AM
I vote Martial

Omnicrat
2013-05-21, 07:13 AM
I'm definitely putting a vote in for gramarie.

I realize it'll probably be marshal science if 6 new people don't show up and vote gramarie before it closes, but c'mon, a system in which the main restriction on what you a capable of is your time, seconded by available resources and imagination?

Okay, technically it's also restricted by which of the very broad 45 principles of Gramarie you know, but still.

edit: Barring a gramatic flood, I want to tip the scale to science, because that system would probably be a lot like gramarie, if less magical.

Lady Serpentine
2013-05-21, 07:20 AM
Bodymod/Shapeshifting.

Omnicrat
2013-05-21, 07:22 AM
Just realized I should probably note that my point about what a system based off of gramarie would/could be was a counter-point to the earlier decision to remove it from the list.

caledscratcher
2013-05-21, 08:53 AM
Just realized I should probably note that my point about what a system based off of gramarie would/could be was a counter-point to the earlier decision to remove it from the list.

Ah, well, we're not focusing on the mechanics at this point, simply the overall theme, and I'd already stated that - thematically, at least - gramarie is essentially magic + science. So, if you're sticking to gramarie despite that, I suppose I'd be able to put .5 into science and .5 into magic... It's your decision, really.

Omnicrat
2013-05-21, 11:00 AM
I guess. Though I did think that you were taking the mechanics and twisting them/doing something different with them. Like how mantels still use normal powers and power points.

I would rather go all-in on science because there is no way magic is catching up.

giggyex
2013-05-21, 03:23 PM
For SCIENCE!

caledscratcher
2013-05-21, 06:52 PM
Alright, SCIENCE! prevails! Now for part two, handily kept in the OP.

sirpercival
2013-05-21, 07:18 PM
So... normally I would pick astronomy, but I already wrote the damn Astronomer. So I'm voting for: Particles, Geology, and Psychology.

Gildedragon
2013-05-21, 07:24 PM
Psychology, Physics, Pseudo-Science, or Alchemy

eftexar
2013-05-21, 07:30 PM
3 votes? Physics, Particles, and Psychology

And Guigarci, Electromagnetism is part of physics so you might want to change your vote to that.

Lady Serpentine
2013-05-21, 07:44 PM
Biology get my vote.

137beth
2013-05-21, 08:17 PM
Particles, Astronomy, and Chemistry

Svata
2013-05-21, 09:45 PM
1: Physics
2: Chemistry
3: Particles

Lady Serpentine
2013-05-21, 11:18 PM
Biology get my vote.

As do Engineering and Astronomy. Because I find the idea off all of those together... Interesting.

sirpercival
2013-05-21, 11:21 PM
Seriously guys I already did the Astronomer (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9313.0)

Lady Serpentine
2013-05-22, 12:20 AM
Seriously guys I already did the Astronomer (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9313.0)

Eh, I still want a cyborg who draws power from the stars...

Zaydos
2013-05-22, 12:43 AM
Biology
Pseudo-Science
Astronomy

CinuzIta
2013-05-22, 01:26 AM
alchemy, chemistry, engineering!

Omnicrat
2013-05-22, 07:16 AM
engineering, chemistry, and physics.

3WhiteFox3
2013-05-22, 08:53 AM
Engineering, Chemistry, Physics

inuyasha
2013-05-22, 08:56 AM
biology physics alchemy

Xaotiq1
2013-05-22, 09:04 AM
Particles, Other: Economics, and Other: Mathematics.

Ashardalon125
2013-05-22, 09:42 AM
Vote for Biology, Chemistry, and Astrology

sirpercival
2013-05-22, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure your numbers are right...

mystic1110
2013-05-22, 10:02 AM
Psychology only!

caledscratcher
2013-05-22, 01:27 PM
@sirpercival: I hadn't updated in a few hours, and I won't be able to update for a while after now, so the numbers didn't have the latest votes factored in. I did make a separate tally to make sure I was right, and I had the wrong count for one subject, which has been factored in. However, it should be alright now!

Glimbur
2013-05-22, 04:06 PM
Chemistry! Engineering! Economics!

Omnicrat
2013-05-22, 04:09 PM
Can I change my vote to whatever makes chemistry, engineering, and physics tie for first?

bobthe6th
2013-05-22, 07:13 PM
Physicsyou are a bit to worried about white text.

caledscratcher
2013-05-22, 07:28 PM
Can I change my vote to whatever makes chemistry, engineering, and physics tie for first?

Unfortunately, you already have your votes into chemistry, engineering, and physics, and there's one vote/category/voter, so... I could take your votes out of the highest categories and put them in the lowest general categories to put them closer by one rank, but that'd result in the highest two of the three going down.

Are you fine with that?

Omnicrat
2013-05-22, 07:44 PM
I'm fine with that if they could be moved back later if necessary. Like, if one of them got a new vote or if something went higher than them, though they seem like they may stay the highest.

I realize that's probably too much trouble, and that's fine.

Edit: That, or you use the top 3 sources...

caledscratcher
2013-05-22, 08:28 PM
Well, in actuality, my original meaning of the specifics for round two was that I'd use the top two or three sources, and everyone wound up putting in three votes so I just rolled with it. uvu

So yeah, it makes more sense this way anyways. Everyone puts three votes, top two or three get in.

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-22, 09:17 PM
Phlebotomy and phrenology.

Hanuman
2013-05-23, 01:02 AM
I generally don't think that Economics, Mathmatics and Chem should be on the list as Econoics and Mathmatics are more of subbbbbb-genres and Chem==Alchemy.

Astronomy, because it's not been done inventively enough nor has Gramarie done it much.

Engineering, because if we build it they will come.

Physics, modifying physics creates highly entertaining effects, has HEAVY context-base (mo context mo flavor!), and allows for large-scope originality without needing to be walls of text, intricate niche, or anything like that.

togapika
2013-05-23, 02:55 AM
1. Chemistry
2. Alchemy
3. Engineering

caledscratcher
2013-05-23, 04:01 AM
Phlebotomy and phrenology.

I hope you don't mind, but I put Phlebology (which I assume you meant, as Phlebotomy is the act of cutting into a vein) into biology, as its the more general form. :3

All votes up to now have been added in!

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-23, 11:48 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I put Phlebology (which I assume you meant, as Phlebotomy is the act of cutting into a vein) into biology, as its the more general form. :3

All votes up to now have been added in!

You are correct.

WhatsWithCanada
2013-05-28, 02:38 AM
I vote for:

Biology
Engineering
Physics

FallenEco
2013-05-28, 04:52 AM
And my votes goes to...

Engineering, Biology, Chemistry

Ringwrym
2013-05-28, 04:21 PM
My votes for Biology, pseudoscience and Particles

caledscratcher
2013-05-28, 08:40 PM
Alright, part three starts now! Check the first post for info!

Omnicrat
2013-05-28, 09:08 PM
Other - Time Restrictions combined with Points/Day

note:Time Restrictions are where the only limiting factor to your ability to do stuff is the amount of time you have available to do it in. Gramarie works like this.

Gildedragon
2013-05-28, 09:38 PM
Chemistry + Engineering + Physics

Well Engineering tells me it's gotta have item-crafting mechanics. Chem indicates the day to day stuff to be perishable...

sirpercival
2013-05-28, 10:55 PM
Hmm..... I'm not sure this is the best way to do this. You had to keep everything general, which made them rather one-dimensional. All of these follow the formula "X resource / Y time unit". The "mechanic" is a far more complex idea...

caledscratcher
2013-05-29, 01:42 AM
@sirpercival: Oh... Yeah I was kinda worried 'bout that. How would you execute this round?

sirpercival
2013-05-29, 01:07 PM
Flavor should inform mechanics, and vice versa. I would suggest nailing down a more concrete concept from the previous round, and then that can suggest possible implementations.

caledscratcher
2013-05-29, 01:22 PM
Alright, now round three has actually started! There's an extension due to my mistake in setting this up, and votes cast for the previous instance of round three don't count because it has been eliminated. Have fun!

Svata
2013-05-29, 01:32 PM
I vote for two equal, one submissive.

Omnicrat
2013-05-29, 02:16 PM
Assuming I understand properly, sources separate but intertwined.

This means that chemistry, physics, and engineering all have unique applications, but still function in similar ways, correct?

mystic1110
2013-05-29, 02:36 PM
Equal Combination of all three Sources

sirpercival
2013-05-31, 10:50 AM
I vote separate but intertwined.

caledscratcher
2013-05-31, 04:07 PM
Assuming I understand properly, sources separate but intertwined.

This means that chemistry, physics, and engineering all have unique applications, but still function in similar ways, correct?

That's exactly right! Sorry about not responding, finals happened. uvu

CinuzIta
2013-05-31, 04:17 PM
two equal, one submissive!

Ringwrym
2013-05-31, 05:51 PM
Equal combination of All three

Gildedragon
2013-06-01, 11:24 PM
My vote goes to SSbI (separate sources but intertwined)

caledscratcher
2013-06-04, 04:06 PM
Alright, everything's up to date! If you haven't voted yet in this round, but you want to, please do! There're only two hours until the deadline! (With a 20-minute margin of error.) I've already been thinking of some concepts for the next round, and I think you'll like them!

CinuzIta
2013-06-05, 05:16 AM
so caled what's next? After your last post I'm filled with curiosity!:)

caledscratcher
2013-06-05, 03:19 PM
Alright, so it's actually up! Sorry about that, I zonked out way early last night and had to attend my school's graduation ceremony today, even though I'm only a senior as of today. :3

inuyasha
2013-06-05, 11:01 PM
Chemistry: buffing, legal steroids?
Engineering: Other: invention, stuff like delayed blast fireball as a grenade, web as adhesive, think like that
Physics: destruction, ripping apart someones molecules, reduicing them to atomic sludge

Omnicrat
2013-06-06, 01:16 AM
Chemistry: I want Other: Invention as inuyasha decribed, but I feel that works better as an application of chemistry than of engineering. Fireball grenades and adhesives? Seems like chemistry to me. It could also include things with healing or buffing effects, if that would be allowed. Honestly, I feel like amalgams of these different applications are going to work best.

Engineering: I want Construction to make indestructible castes and steel armor lighter than mithril and more durable than adamantium. Skyscrapers and mass production! Mechanized assembly lines!

Physics: I want Other: Buffs/Debuffs like flight, freedom of movement, hold person and stuff like that. Manipulation of kinetic energy, probably requires touch attacks or something.

Deaxsa
2013-06-06, 01:44 AM
ummm... this is where i voice m concerns about A) whether all three of the sub-categories of science really have anything to do with science, or whether science was the best choice, etc.

now that my inner angst over the removal of biology as a science, and callling engineering a science, is satisfied (feel free to ignore the above comments), i'd like to ask the question: why can't engineering be used to heal, or chemistry to make traps? why not make a large list of applications, and then have us vote for each one separately (all from the same master list!) that way we can also have physics be the healing science! :smalltongue:

edit:

for Chemistry, i'd like to go with OTHER: TRANSMUTATION (such as turning lead to gold)

for Engineering i'd like to go with CONSTRUCTS

for Physics i'd like to vote for TRAPS

CinuzIta
2013-06-06, 01:47 AM
chemistry: buffing, healing or other (toxins and mutagens)

Engineering: other (inventions), constructs or constructions

Physics: traps, other (buffs and debuffs) or combos!

If only one vote is permitted, than just take the first one of each!

sirpercival
2013-06-07, 03:08 PM
Personally I like the idea of having a unified ability system, with each category has its own set of wrinkles.

But, let's see. I vote:
Engineering -> Constructs, in terms of temporary summons (a la Astral Construct)
Physics -> Buffs
Chemistry -> Buffs

The concept is that the engineering part makes basic robot minions, with chemistry & physics determining the robots special abilities. (Implementation-wise, one idea is kind of incarnum-like, where you can allocate chem points and phys points into various areas.)

Ringwrym
2013-06-07, 06:03 PM
Chemistry Destruction
Engineering Buildings
Physics Combos

Empedocles
2013-06-07, 09:53 PM
Physics-tactics
Engineering-constructs
Chemistry-buffing

This looks very battlefield control-esque, which I like, so why not?

Pesimismrocks
2013-06-08, 07:22 AM
Chemistry: Buffing
Engineering: Buildings
Physics: Tactics

DMwithoutPC's
2013-06-09, 11:40 AM
Chemistry: destruction (rip peoples molecules apart, muahahahaha)
Engineering: Construction
Physics: Other: buff/debuff

DracoDei
2013-06-09, 09:42 PM
Chemistry: Healing
Engineering: Connection (simply because I have no idea what you mean by this...)
Physics: Other (Destruction/Hitpoint damage, including working well against objects)

Omnicrat
2013-06-11, 03:47 AM
So, whats going on with this then?

caledscratcher
2013-06-11, 08:35 PM
OK... sorry about disappearing there, I got hit with some anxiety and homebrewing block and didn't know if this could continue. But! It will continue without a doubt!

So, some notes: All votes for Construction in Engineering were put to Building, because... that's basically what it is! I put it as a verb ending in -ing, but I suppose it was interpreted as the noun, haha. Also, to elaborate on Connection in Engineering, it basically means making little trinkets that combine spells or powers or whatever together, as well as piecing items together for new effects.~

Have a great time voting! However, the deadline time will almost certainly be towards the end of that range, because of a college program visit thing. Just a heads-up~ uvu

caledscratcher
2013-06-13, 07:02 PM
Alright, part five starts now! Have fun!~

Omnicrat
2013-06-13, 09:53 PM
I really think physics and chemistry should work differently.

So, for buffs/debuffs I vote other: chemistry: points per day representing the chemicals being mixed and created, replicating potions and other beneficial effects and Physics: actions per encounter representing manipulations of physics for beneficial effects, which are somewhat draining but easily recoverable.

For construction, I want other: creations/time meaning you can make as much as you want with no limit other than the time you dedicate to making things.

UserShadow7989
2013-06-15, 06:41 AM
I do like Omnicat's suggestions for Physics and Chemistry: Chemistry: Points Per Day and Physics: Actions Per Encounter. It offers a nice way to differ them from each other.

For Engineering, I like the sound of Creation Limit and Redistributable Points, since it creates a solid limit of how much or what kinds of tools/ minions/ what have you that you can have at a time, but allows for the most versatility with such a limit.

DMwithoutPC's
2013-06-15, 09:26 AM
Chemistry: points per day
Physics: moves per encounter

Engineering: points per day

caledscratcher
2013-06-20, 01:45 AM
So, because I've neglected this, and never put in the enddate for the round, and because my school's summer semester has started up, the enddate for this round is Saturday, June 22nd, sometime between 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM CDT.

(Wow I'm bad at this)

Omnicrat
2013-06-20, 02:17 AM
Why not end it now? Probably won't get many more votes.

And now that I've said that there will be a post right away.

Svata
2013-06-20, 10:43 AM
Because I have yet to vote :smalltongue:
Chemistry: Points per day
Physics: Actions per encounter
Engineering: Creation Limit and Redistributable Points

Omnicrat
2013-06-21, 08:41 PM
So, this is over now?

Nevermind...

-to self- Today is Friday, Andrew, not Saturday...

caledscratcher
2013-06-23, 07:15 PM
OK, a bit of a break from standards, but it's somewhat necessary for this type of creation! Throw in those concepts for Base Classes! And remember, it should utilize all three parts I'll check back later with my own concepts, to encourage myself to not forget! uvu

Omnicrat
2013-06-23, 10:17 PM
Alright, classes... Well, here's one for now, at least

The Doctor (no, not that doctor:smalltongue:)
Focuses on medical/healing applications. Chemistry is medicinal drugs and performance enhancing drugs (like healing potions, buffing potions, and potions of cure disease), Engineering is doctors offices and medical labs (provide bonuses to healing and resting effects, provide bonuses to chemistry applications made here), while physics is physical therapy (remove ability drain and ability damage) or experimentation (causes ability drain and ability damage while giving some type of bonus to you)

UserShadow7989
2013-06-23, 11:39 PM
Between the variety of scientific disciplines and the general stereotype of PCs, I say 'Mad Scientist' would be a good class. Chemistry would be akin to potions- a variety of buffs for any situation. Physics would be limited use special weapons (the offensive counterpart to Chemistry, using debuffs and damage).

Engineering would be his big thing, however- robotic minion(s?) akin to an Animal Companion, but far more customizable. Could possibly sacrifice points from their Mechanical Servant to create unlimited use versions of the Chemistry and Physics creations (Inventions?) to trade power as a front liner (by proxy) for versatility?

Nightraiderx
2013-06-24, 10:49 AM
Cybernetic Soldier
Bruiser type that uses biology to buff/boost/remove physical conditions from himself in combat
and engineering to create natural/grafted weapons that he can tweak to deadly effect (increasing range, damage die, elemental damage, poison, etc)

quantum physicist applies physics principles and manipulates them. more of a battle field controller.

Schrodinger's Cat defense that nets him a miss chance, and possibly being at two places at once.

Manipulating Gravity as a debuff to slow enemies or as a buff to move allies faster. (or seeming to walk up walls or reversing gravity in a certain area)

Manipulating forces, (such as removing friction in an area or himself or increasing friction in an area or himself by use of gravitational pull)

Manipulating atomic structure (weakening constructs/metal to make it brittle or making it stronger.)

LordChaos13
2013-06-25, 06:45 AM
The Mechgineer

Builds Tiny-Small sized Constructs. Different Bases have different bonuses and number of Modules capable of Attaching.
Modules help custom each individual Construct and can be anything from a communicator between identical members to make a small army squad or sword-attachments, battery packs to Overcharge certain abilities on the Base and other Modules etc.
Chemistry makes Fuel Types which are stored in the Base. Basic Fuel is the generic one used for most purposes but different fuels give bonuses or maluses to certain things (Revhead Fuel adds +10 speed while Nitro Fuel might double the movement bonus from Rocket Module)
Physics are temporary buffs placed on the mechs or cast into their weapons for use as debuff ammunition