PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Vampire (TEMPLATE)

Ing
2006-11-28, 02:22 AM
Thought I'd have a little fun here with a new creature template. PLease critique and offer some input on my basic outline/idea. I could really use some help on level adjustment, hint hint.
LUMINOS
HARBRINGER OF LIGHT

Long ago in the ancient times a feindish lord creatued the first vampire, either through darkest of magics or through mixing his own infernal immortale blood with that of a dieing mortal. This is well known to many scholars and sages. Much less well known is that shortly after a Celestrial Angel looked down upon the moral coil and saw the vampires and their more base undead cousins acting as a plague upon the land and a cancer amoung the mortals. Taking pitty on the mortal animals the Celestrial voilated holy taboo and orders from its superiors and descended upon the earth. There the Celestrial found a dieing noble soul and force fed him its very own divine blood. the champion/paladin died and three days later rose from the flower bed the celestrial had lain his body to become the first Luminos. Luminos are the antithisis to the undead, their lives are intended to be one of light and piety. They resemble their base creature but become significantly more bueatiful and divine in apperance. They utterly fear the dark and avoid being caught in it at all costs. However, much like their vampire counterparts their lives can be considered a curse... They are never able to rest, and are filled with an urge to help others and sacrifice their own desires and wants. Because of this few Luminos spawn others of their kind. their reproduction is limited to circumstances where (a they have found an apprentice [typicly a paladin or cleric or other G creature] and train them to take their place preparing them for the hardships and lonelyness, b) are dieing and despretly feed/spawn from the nearest mortal they find in hopes of creating an heir to compleate their mission. Sadly even when they do reproduce few of their kind ever actually awakens as many cultures have burial rights that either destroy the neophytes body or banish it to the cold ground/rock where it cannot recieve the light it needs to animate.

Creating a Luminous
"Luminos" is an acquired template that can be added to any humaniod creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature). To create a new Luminos a current one must drain the blood of the base creature and then replace it with its own life blood. due to the exchange of blood neither creature looses HP, though the base creature temporarily drops her str, dex and con to 0. 1d4 days later if lain to rest where she can get ample direct sunlight she rises as a new Luminos, if put in an area where she can only get indirect or artifical light she rises in 2d6 days. if devoid of lght she remains a corpse until other wise given a light source to feed on.

A Luminos has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to undead subtype Good/Positive. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s. A

Armor Class
A Luminos is especially agile and supernaturally fast when it comes to dodging add the base creature's wisdom bonus as a dodge (if any) to AC

Special Qualities
A Luminos retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.

Turn immunty
Turning intended for undead do not effect LUminos unless it is altered to effect positive energy creatures

Light Energy
Although it losses its con modifier the base creature still gains bonus HP. the bonus is the base creature's cha modifier (after stat adjustments) per hit die.

Damage Reduction
A Luminos no longer needs much of its vital organs. it gains damage reducton 6 Pierce attacks.

Positive energy
A luminos heals through positive energy and takes damage from negative as living creatures do

Immunities
Luminos are immune to spells that deal damage or effects through light, such as flare, searing light etc.

Spell like abilities: manifested as a charisma based spell caster of equivlent creature level
once per day: shocking grasp,
at will: daze, flare,
3 times per day: haste, charm person

Natural Attack
A Luminos gains a natural unarmed touch attack that deals (for medium) 2d4 damage. half is blugeon half is positive/light damage. If the creature already has a natural attack simply add +1d4 light damage to the damage modifier of the natural attack

Supernatural beauty
A Luminos gains +6 to charisma. Their type changes to "Good"

Photodependent
Luminos depend on the light for their abilities and even basic locomotion. If removed from direct natural sunlight they loose their light energy and loose 2 charisma within 2d4 minutes. If they find themselves devoid of any light (even artificial) they take 1d6 charisma damage and 1d6 strength damage per minute and loose their special abilities within 2d8 minutes. when they reach 0 strength they are rendered catatonic and resemble mummified/decayed corpses. If returned to a light source they recover their damage and abilities (in direct sunlight they recover 1d4 pts of str/cha per minute and regain their abilities within 3d6 minutes, in indirect sunlight or artifical light they recover 1 pt of str/cha per minute and regain their abilities in 20d6 minutes. If they switch from a lower quality light source to a higher (say the sun comes out form behind clouds, cut the time in half, similarly if you go from a favorable light source to an unfavorable one double it for that duration).

Luminos do not need to eat or sleep and gain all nurishment through the sun. a "nights" equivlent rest in direct sunlight heals them as if they rested a full day. a "nights" rest in lower/unnatural light heals them as if they rested a night.

Undead traits
If a luminos is lowered to 0 hp or abilities it remains dorment and recovers once its body feeds off of enough light. A luminos can truely be killed by decapitation, destructon of its heart and liver, and/or immolation

Life Transfer
Where a vampire bites and feeds off of a mortal to drain life to fuel its own savage hunger a Luminos can offer a moral part of their own life energy and blood to restore them. A luminos can allow a human to drink (or alternativly it can draw its own blood to annoint on wounds) of its "blood" (used in only the vaguest of terms since the actual fluid looks and acts more like quick silver) to restore their health. They can heal cha mod X hit die, but due to the slightly canabalistic nature of this ritual the Luminos looses 1/2 the hp it heals.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-11-28, 06:38 AM
So the parties caster has to cast a nightlight for them, or they DIE?!?!?!

Write DR 6/pirceing, not damage reduction 6 piercing attacks. The latter seriously confused me.

Jack_Simth
2006-11-28, 07:23 AM
Wait.... I think he wants 6 damage removed from piercing attacks, in which case, it should be DR 6/Bludgeoning or Slashing

Mauril Everleaf
2006-11-28, 11:28 AM
photodependant is nice (or rather consistant with the anti-vamp), but it should lessen with age like a vampires affliction to light. the higher the age category, the more light they can handle, with patriarchs being able to walk around in full daylight without sustaining any damage. (at least this is how it worked when i last checked, but thats been a while). consider making the damage be age category dependant.

Ing
2006-11-28, 12:00 PM

Write DR 6/pirceing, not damage reduction 6 piercing attacks. The latter seriously confused me.

They don't die, they get weaker and weaker until they turn into corpses. They can get better though.

It dosn't have to be a magical light or natural light. A light from a torch or camp fire wll do as long as it provides some illumination.

XtheYeti
2006-11-28, 12:52 PM
They should have some way to not get rendered dormant at night

Ing
2006-11-28, 01:01 PM
They should have some way to not get rendered dormant at night

Like sitting around a camp fire?

Logic
2006-11-28, 04:54 PM

Sample Luminos: I need a night light!

Fellow Adventurer: Oh, are you afraid of the dark? *snicker*

Sample Luminos: I'll DIE if you don't cast a night light for me!

*followed shortly by the party thinking the luminos is absolutely friggin' paranoid insane.*

knightsaline
2006-11-28, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure about this but the type should change to deathless, the good counterpart to undead. also, a chara with this can't do dungeon diving. why? because dungeons don't get much natural sunlight. the sunlight thing could be curcumvented by having the party caster cast light on a handy dandy stone and give it to the reverse vamp.

i also do not know if turning attempts can be altered to ujse negative energy. the negative counterpart to turning is rebuking (imagines a cleric yelling at a zombie "BAD UNDEAD! BAD UNDEAD! GO BACK TO YOUR GRAVE!") can the reverse vamp be bolstered by "turning" it?

good jorb otherwise

Ing
2006-11-28, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure about this but the type should change to deathless, the good counterpart to undead. also, a chara with this can't do dungeon diving. why? because dungeons don't get much natural sunlight. the sunlight thing could be curcumvented by having the party caster cast light on a handy dandy stone and give it to the reverse vamp.

i also do not know if turning attempts can be altered to ujse negative energy. the negative counterpart to turning is rebuking (imagines a cleric yelling at a zombie "BAD UNDEAD! BAD UNDEAD! GO BACK TO YOUR GRAVE!") can the reverse vamp be bolstered by "turning" it?

good jorb otherwise

OK just to clarify

I"VE WRITTEN MULTIPLE TIMES UP THERE THAT THEY JUST NEED SOME form of light. THey can go dungeon diving with no problem as long as they have a tourch or the like. hell a wizard can cast light on them and they're find as long as the spell dosnt wear off. The only problem comes when they lack a good source of illumination. Yes Direct sunlight is the best and it heals them the fastest but they don't start being weakened until they are actually in darkness (no lights not even from torches or stray beams) Heck they could probably be fine at night on a full moon if its clear enough.

Behold_the_Void
2006-11-29, 01:24 AM
Interesting idea, but it just strikes me as a bit odd.

And honestly, I was hoping for something a bit more anti-emo. Like, sunshine and butterflies anti-emo.

Grey Knight
2006-11-30, 01:37 PM
And honestly, I was hoping for something a bit more anti-emo. Like, sunshine and butterflies anti-emo.

Vampire: turns into bat
Luminos: turns into butterfly

Better? :smallsmile:

Ing
2006-11-30, 03:18 PM
Interesting idea, but it just strikes me as a bit odd.

Well I put in just that bit of flavor to explain the relative scarcity of them. In my ideas for characters with the template I had a paladin and a druid girl who was a fairly archtypical frolicking and playing with the forest animals type.