PDA

View Full Version : Oddest campaigns you've ever been involved in?

fortesama
2013-05-17, 09:37 PM
System, version or edition doesn't matter.

For me: I just came from what ended up as a music-themed D&D 3.5 campaign which was the result of an entire party of bards that ended up forming a rock band. Builds vary greatly.

The DM decided to have some fun and gave us, among other things:

An arc involving a war against invading giant humanoids that are scared of music for some reason. Resolved with peace after we got to the middle of their base of operations and rocked out.
Another arc involving giant energy vampires who keep kidnapping people and are somehow get driven off due to our music. One particularly small one keeps trying to kiss one of the members. Near the end, he got sucked nearly dry and said vampire fled in horror after seeing what she's done. Turns out they're kidnapping people to find a way to create a sustainable farm instead of hunting down others, our singing can heal the victims (so our bandmate's back in action after a concert) and can drive the vampires out because it overwhelms them in pleasure. Ended when one of the vampires had it's powers grow out of control and began indiscriminately sucking up the energy of everything nearby. Our singing ended up stopping it and awakened something in them that allows them to create in them whatever they eat, making any further hunts pointless. They proceeded to leave since they don't need to hunt for food anymore.

The whole thing culminated into a a battle of music against some sort of sentient illusion (not a mispelling. An actual illusion. Like a hologram with an AI or something) bard who was controlling the entire capital with her singing. A siege and liberal use of countersong put an end to her ambitions.

Arbane
2013-05-18, 12:24 AM
Another arc involving giant energy vampires who keep kidnapping people and are somehow get driven off due to our music.
(SNIP)
The whole thing culminated into a a battle of music against some sort of sentient illusion (not a mispelling. An actual illusion. Like a hologram with an AI or something) bard who was controlling the entire capital with her singing. A siege and liberal use of countersong put an end to her ambitions.

Is your GM a big fan of the Macross series of anime? Those plots sound familiar. (Not dinging him for it - I always say that if you're going to steal, steal from the best. :smallbiggrin: )

Anyway, weirdest campaign I've been in.... Probably a GURPS game I was in a long time ago - a Man In Black (long before the movie, IIRC) and a gunbunny girl tracking down assorted weird threats and stopping them. I remember a magic using enemy cop from the Psychic Highway Patrol and a zombie filled with radioactive goo, but other than that, it's been a while.

Tengu_temp
2013-05-18, 03:34 AM
Sounds like Macross without giant robots, alright.

The strangest campaign I participated in was probably the one I ran to test DND 4e. If you remember when that game came out, a lot of people complained that it's too anime or too much like a video game. I decided to make fun of that.

The party consisted of:
An Eladrin magical girl.
A fangirl with an obvious crush on the magical girl.
Robot version of Altair from Assassin's Creed.
Patchouli from Touhou (literally the character).
An Ultramarine chaplain.
An enthusiastic kid with big spiky hair and even bigger sword.

Together, they were the Royal Elite Division of Strong and Heroic Individuals, Ready To Serve (or REDSHIRTS for short), fulfilling strange requests for a prettyboy king who didn't seem to respect them very much. They battled dung bees and a cult that worshipped poop and wanted it to be treated humanely. They helped an abused catman escape his slavery from a Fire Giant woman and defeat his nemesis, a brown wererat and his grey nephew. They were tasked to bring goblin sandwiches in order to manufacture a cure for some nebulous plague, and encountered a goblin rights activist (who was backstabbed by a goblin). Many other silly things happen.

It was a comedy campaing and those usually don't last very long. This one was no exception. As a test drive for a new system, though? It was pretty good.

incandescent
2013-05-18, 08:44 AM
The one i'm running right now can be described as a cross between candyland and mad max: beyond the thunderdome. The players and i created the world using Dawn of Worlds and ended up with a strange place where gnomes live on a giant floating crystal that is the setting's sun and controls the seasons, genasi are ice cream flavors instead of elements (one of the players is a buttercup genasi), a race of squirrel people have mastered astrophysics, and gummy bears are basically the borg. The beginning of the campaign is mad max style because the last thing we did in DoW was have a catastrophe where all the world's high population centers suffered a diabetes epidemic (the equivalent to the black plague), leaving everything in chaos.

It's the only campaign i've both loved and hated simultaneously and in equal measures :P

fortesama
2013-05-18, 09:05 AM
Is your GM a big fan of the Macross series of anime? Those plots sound familiar. (Not dinging him for it - I always say that if you're going to steal, steal from the best. :smallbiggrin: )

*SNIP*

That is correct. Never watched it myself though. Only thing I know about the series is from what I see in the Super Robot Wars games.

Alaris
2013-05-18, 07:29 PM
I've been in a limited number of campaigns, but the oddest one,

I can say with sincerety, took place on an island.

On a subplane.

Which was also the prison of a god.

Where magic didn't work right.

Where giant bugs were the indigenous species.

At the end of the first 'chapter' of it, my character brought back the god by calling out his name. So a failsafe kicked in, and we all more or less died.

Second 'chapter' involved a new party inside of a giant puzzle-maze-box, trying to fix the prison. It involved lots of rooms, puzzles, music and monsters.

And we all became the new gods of this plane at the end of it.

Weird ****.

SimonMoon6
2013-05-18, 08:02 PM
I knew a guy who liked to run games with his own secret set of rules. And things would just sort of happen.

One game, I was playing bug-people, while the other player was playing monkey people. There were limited resources and we were trying to survive (which meant conflict with each other). I remember the monkeys had come and fouled our food, so we went after them. They had apparently been scattered about, guarding the forest. However, we bugs were able to defeat any single monkey we encountered before it was able to warn the others. There were 30 monkeys, so the GM rolled a d30 to see how many we were able to successfully ambush. He rolled a 30. So, I won.

He ran other strange games. There was one in which each player chose a virtue and a vice. We then ended up in some medieval world naked. We looked human to everyone else, but to each other we appeared to be metals based on our virtues and vices. Mine were truthfulness and pride, so I was gold. I don't remember the others except that one of the players had chosen "kindness to children" as his virtue, which the GM had a hard time associating with a metal. Eventually, he decided on Nickel, because who's kinder to children than Saint Nickel-us? There was more to the game involving strange pieces of a weird object embedded in each of our bodies... but the game didn't last long enough for us to figure out what was going on.

Another game, we were playing alien creatures on some strange planet. I was a sort of rolling blob species. Another guy was a race of flying pack-mentality creatures. If we succeeded at overcoming challenges, then before the next adventure (many years later) the species would have evolved.

TheCountAlucard
2013-05-18, 08:25 PM
There was our game that had the following as PCs:

Ninja Kratos
Martial Arts guy who can throw you across a city.
Power armor Paladin
Kung-Fu Cyborg Sorcerer Einstein

Sure, it makes more sense in context, but why on Earth would you want that?!? :smalltongue:

fortesama
2013-05-18, 10:46 PM
There was our game that had the following as PCs:

Ninja Kratos
Martial Arts guy who can throw you across a city.
Power armor Paladin
Kung-Fu Cyborg Sorcerer Einstein

Sure, it makes more sense in context, but why on Earth would you want that?!? :smalltongue:

Looks like a possible plot for a Shadow Hearts game to me.

Mono Vertigo
2013-05-19, 06:26 AM
Looks like a possible plot for a Shadow Hearts game to me.
Yeah, in terms of weirdness, you can't really beat a party made out of Anastasia (yes, that Anastasia) fighting with mechanical eggs and a camera, a sentient wolf, a flamboyant vampire wrestler, and a puppet whose clothes determine her elements, controlled by an old guy named Gepetto.
Against a giant pink cat.
During WWI, in what's supposed to be our world.

As for me, I'm currently in a Magical Burst game directly based on Puella Magi Madoka Magica...
... in Las Vegas.
We've got two Japanese PCs, one of which is actually living out the life of an American girl because of a wish, a homely but sassy girl (hey, you don't always see that in anime or RPGs), and my character who killed someone before the campaign even started and still manages to look like one of the good guys. For now.
Seeing the system and source inspiration, I'll be severely disappointed if it doesn't turn into mindfrak at some point. Stay tuned.

Man on Fire
2013-05-19, 11:43 AM
They helped an abused catman escape his slavery from a Fire Giant woman and defeat his nemesis, a brown wererat and his grey nephew.

I see what you did here.

QuintonBeck
2013-05-19, 04:06 PM
I was once in a campaign run by a newbie DM who was unfortunately betrayed by his allowance of any and all sourcebooks and faced a majority of odd/seemingly over powered party members which included:
A ghost Mythweaver with No LA enforced (Couldn't hardly ever be hit, though he didn't show up to many sessions)
A something or another Druid who had nearly 30 AC by level 5 or so
A necromancer (His character was relatively reasonable but the player almost never showed up)
A Dwarven Fighter (A newbie who got unfortunately sidelined by the rest of the group)
A Jensai without LA as well
And my character, a simple human Rogue who was intended to be a city-oriented party face type guy

So the story starts with us meeting in a burned down town we'd all been heading to, we join up, discover what happened to the town (A giant army burned it down) and then find out a Giant army is marching in from the North under the command of an Atropal (We're level 1) We run of course and have a series of misadventures in a couple of towns before it's revealed the whole Atropal thing was an illusion (Our DM realized it was ridiculous and so just cancelled it) and aftyer that we just had what was really an odd series of one shots with our characters.

In one session we went into a mansion that turned out to be the storage sight for the prime forces of the universe (stuff like fire, water, earth, time, GRAVITY, you know, nothing outlandish...) and of course, being PCs, we broke all that stuff and for a little while we thought maybe it'd be okay, we could rob people without retaliation, but then things proved to be quite bad and we ended up having our Druid fly out into space and talk to God (Just capital G God, not all caps GOD) who agreed to fix things for a game of chance. My rogue played, lost, and ceased to exist (IE no memory of him/he never existed ever) and our Fighter beat him and restored the world nix my Rogue.

The last session and another one shot I came back as an evil Favored Soul who, along with the Druid, set up a protection racket in a city against the wishes of the illusion of an illusion of a Wizard, which was somehow a sentient being, and he kept making dumber illusions of himself (deteriorating illusions of illusions and all) that he annoyed us off and we left a Moronic Jester in charge of our Criminal Empire with plabs to come back and collect rent when we could come back and kill the Wizard.

Razanir
2013-05-20, 08:44 AM
This is actually from a campaign I might run in the fall, but here are a few NPCs:
-An expy of Samantha from QC
-An expy of Faye from QC. Yes, I remembered the broadsword
-A robot jedi with electrical powers
-A dragon rogue who wrote himself out of history