PDA

View Full Version : Doomknights (D&D 3.5 Base Class)

Corripio
2013-05-23, 09:11 PM
This is the very first homebrew class I've made. I'm posting it here at the recommendation of Madara in order to learn what needs tweaking. I've play-tested it in a campaign he and I were in and liked it, but I'm pretty sure it needs work. So without further ado, the Doomknight:

made with the aid of NeverAsPlanned

Proficiencies: staff, dagger, longsword, greatsword, axe, or great axe. Light, medium, spiked, and heavy armor.

Feared throughout the history of time, Doomknights show little remorse for the living—sympathy is only derived from brute force. These fearsome warriors only respect and desire one thing; power, gained by any means necessary. However, what they wish to do with it varies from knight to knight. Perhaps they seek to rule, or to fight the greatest of warriors and mages. Maybe they wish to champion a certain cause or take down a tyrant. Maybe its revenge, maybe it is as simple a motive as greed.
To become a Doomknight is to choose to serve the up until now unheard of Elemental Plane of Darkness. The arms and armor of a Doomknight become inhabited by a spirit from this plane and his body becomes a channel through which Darkness may flow and prove its supremacy over all forms of energy. This spirit will also occasionally whisper into its partner's ear, urging them to commit sensational acts of destruction to show to the world that nothing may stop them and nothing matters. Those who listen tend toward evil, while those who ignore these suggestions tend to be more “heroic”. However, these spirits suffer no paladins or other self righteous gits, and those that lean to what the world calls “Good” will loose their power and be slain by their own weapon.
It is possible to either merge with or banish this spirit, taking its power for your-self, which must be done to advance in this mysterious and deadly knightly order.

Custom
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Necrosis 1d6

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Call of Darkness 1/day, Black Gate 1/day

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Necrosis 2d6

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Pervasive Doom 1/day, Blood Supremacy 1/day, Black Gate 2/day

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Necrosis 3d6

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Call of Darkness 2/day, Black Gate 3/day

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Necrosis 4d6

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Pervasive Doom 2/day, Blood Supremacy 2/day, Black Gate 4/day

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Necrosis 5d6

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Shadow Strike 5/day, Call of Darkness 3/day, Black Gate 5/day

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Necrosis 6d6

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Pervasive Doom 3/day, Blood Supremacy 3/day, Black Gate 6/day

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Necrosis 7d6

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Call of Darkness 4/day, Black Gate 7/day

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Fulminating Doom, Necrosis 8d6

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Pervasive Doom 4/day, Blood Supremacy 4/day, Black Gate 8/day

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Necrosis 9d6

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Call of Darkness 5/day, Black Gate 9/day

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Necrosis 10d6

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Pervasive Doom 5/day, Blood Supremacy 5/day, Black Gate 10/day

[/table]
Alignment: Any non-good
Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills:
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Move Silently, Knowledge (religion, the planes), Use Magic Device, Spot, Survival, Handle Animal and Ride.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Note 1*= “bleed” is the mechanic, not based on wether or not target can bleed (otherwise known as DOTs). Functions via “Elemental Darkness corroding the target's body and soul”. Also all bleeds are considered to be “Necrosis” for the purpose of feats and abilities.
Note 2*=The amount of time a “bleed” lasts can be halved via a successful will save (DC 12+half class level+CHA mod). Each DOT's save is taken seperatley
Note 3* all abilities listed are Supernatural
Note 4* All bleeds trigger at the immediate start of the afflicted's turn.
Note 5*=Necrosis will lose effectiveness against extraplanar outsiders with 15+ HD (they are considered to have automatically passed the save even if it is no longer applicable).

Necrosis: Bleed (Ex): At level 1, the Doomknight is granted the first gift the elemental plane of Darkness has to offer, to Doom a foe's soul to wander the dark forever. This is represented by Bleed, which is a damage-over-time effect, inflicting untyped (Darkness) damage equal to his hit dice to all affected targets at the start of the Doomknight's turn. Targets are affected by Bleed through other Doomknight abilities (below). Bleeds always last 5 rounds and ignore damage resistance (but not regeneration).
Bleed can also stack, meaning a creature can be affected by it multiple times, to a maximum of the Doom knight's class level. If a target currently affected by a Bleed is inflicted with another one, the duration of all Bleeds are refreshed.

Kraven, a level 8 Doom knight, attacks an ettin with Necrosis on her first turn in combat, inflicting it with one stack of Bleed, which will last five rounds. At the start of her second turn the ettin takes 8 untyped damage and during she misses her Necrosis attack so no new Bleed stacks are inflicted. On her third turn the ettin takes another 8 untyped damage and she succeeds on her Necrosis attack, inflicting a second stack of Bleed. Both Bleed effects have their duration refreshed to 5 rounds, and now at the start of her fourth turn the ettin will take 16 damage.

Black Gate: The Doomknight's greatest ally is the Darkness, and its gifts and means of aiding its champions are many. The Doomkight is able to call to the Darkness that permeates the world or he has implanted within his foes and use it to Gate his way to a position of advantage in the field of battle.
As long as there are at least two Bleed stacks active within 60 ft of the Doomknight, he may move 10 feet as though affected by a dimension door spell (Swift action). An additional 5 feet may be moved for every stack he chooses to sacrifice for the purpose of increasing his movement. At level 10 this becomes a free action. At level 15 no Bleed stacks are needed to move 10ft, and 2 are needed to move 20ft.

Call of Darkness : The Doomknight's weapon inverts in color as he calls to his opponent's will, urging them to respond and give in to the endless Darkness and eternal sleep that lies beyond life. A skull of Black and Red will be seen left in the wake of the Doomknight's weapon when he strikes with this ability.
When performing an attack, once per round you can add Call of Darkness to the attack. Deals weapon damage (therefore doubling damage at base), damage is increased by half your class level (rounded down) for every bleed on them (rounded up). consumes half the stacks of the bleed (rounded down. If only one bleed is left it is not consumed). At level 10 it instead deals extra damage equal to the doomknights class level in damage
(example: level 3 doomknight uses call of darkness on an enemy with 2 stacks using a longsword. damage=1d6(weapon)+1d6(base COD damage)+1+1(extra from stacks and 1 is the half class level).)

Blood Supremacy: The Doomknight empowers his weapon(s) to steal the vitality of his foe through the corroding Doom he has implanted into them earlier in the battle. His weapon trails blood as he swings it while it is so enchanted, leaving thick pools of the red liquid where-ever it was swung
When performing an attack, once per round you can add Blood Supremacy to the attack. Crunch is the same as Call of Darkness, but instead, all the bonus damage that would be caused by the bleed stacks is converted into healing for yourself. This cannot heal you beyond your max HP.
(Example: level 3 doomknight uses call of darkness on an enemy with 2 stacks using a longsword. Damage=1d6(weapon)+1d6(base from BS). Doomknight heals 2 hp ((extra from stacks and 1 is the half class level).)

Pervasive Doom: The Doomknight ascends a short distance into the air and surrounds himself in a Dark aura. Spikes violently extend from the aura in all directions, jostling the enemy's soul and weakening their resolve as whispers of Doom momentarily fill their minds.
This ability does your weapon damage(plus your your charisma modifier) to the target area. Following the damage, all opponents who were hit, take a fort check (DC 10+(number of bleed stacks x 5)). A failure means they're stunned for a number of turns equal to the stacks of bleeds. If target(s) have no bleeds applies a bleed that deals 1 dmg per HD. Ranged Touch Attack. All adjacent objects. (see below).
T=target
D=Doomknight

T T T
T D T
T T T

Shadow Strike: The Doomknight demonstrates Darkness' supremacy over mere Negative energy, turning any undead that dare stand against him to ash. The weapon used to perform this demonstration becomes black as the Void.
Smite Undead (as Paladin).

Fulminating Doom: The Doomknight rises into the air a short distance and turns so black he looses all features and details. Screaming waves of Elemental Darkness fly to the target with perfect accuracy and gnaw into their soul, Dooming them to be slowly claimed by the Darkness.
Free action, drop 4 immediate stacks of DOTs on the target, these DOTs do 2 dmg per HD. When used, roll 2D4. Result=number of turns you must wait to use it again. Ranged Touch Attack. Range=line of sight.

POSSIBLE PERSONALITIES OF THE DARKNESS SPIRIT (roll 1d20)

1=vengeful
2=cowardly
3=brutal
4=hedonistic
5=tyrannical
6=treacherous
7=sadistic
8=insane
9=hate-filled
10=destructive
11=Cunning
12=seductive
13=curious
14=disturbingly-cheerful
15=wise
16=anarchic
17=vigilante
18=Blood knight*
19=Naïve/idealistic
20=noble

* See Blood-knight tv trope.

DOOMKNIGHT ONLY FEATS
Doomed to Anarchy (requires anarchic Spirit):
necrosis no longer deals damage, it is now known as an anarchic necrosis, anyone with an anarchic necrosis stack cannot distinguish friend from foe. all saves of anyone with anarchic necrosis tokens are reduced by 1 for every token present.

Wild Doom (Requires Destructive Spirit):
Necrosis changes to Cripple. For each Cripple stack the target has, all damage from attacks are increased by 1, and all DR drops by 1.

Tyrannical Doom (requires Tyrannical Spirit):
Necrosis becomes Dominate. Target takes a will save for every stack. If they fail one they cannot act for the turn.

Doomed Knight (requires noble spirit):
Allows for paladin level conversion/ability carry over.

Irresistible Doom:
Saves for Necrosis stacks are increased by two.

Enervating Doom (requires Irresistible Doom):
Necrosis stacks give negative levels upon successful affliction.

Doomed to Die (requires Enervating Doom):
Enemies slain by Necrosis bleed effect rise as a zombie under your control. Number of zombies made this way cannot exceed HD.

Doomed Warlock:
warlock levels and doomknight levels stack for determining eldritch blast and for determining necrosis dmg
Doomed Stalker:
levels in doomknight and rouge stack for determining necrosis dmg and for determining sneak attack damage

Doomed Fighter:
doomknight levels and fighter levels stack for determining necrosis damage, and for QUALIFYING for feats that specify fighter levels

Doomed Mage:
Doomknight levels and wizard/sorcerer levels stack for determining necrosis dmg and for what spells you can cast each day

Dark Arcana (requires Doomed Mage):
Adds the Darkness descriptor to all spells, negating energy resistance/DR/immunities. Positive energy based spells are unaffected.

Need More

Madara
2013-05-24, 08:25 AM
I think Necrosis should have a save, since you have no limit on its use.

Corripio
2013-05-24, 10:59 AM
I think Necrosis should have a save, since you have no limit on its use.

Derp, forgot the daily allotments for the abilities. one sec.

gurgleflep
2013-05-25, 01:41 PM
Doomknights? All I can think of is Artix Entertainment. If I'm right in my assumption as to what this is based off of, all I can say is "FINALLY!" :smallbiggrin:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-6Xz8kOzUMwY/T67FQFf5FuI/AAAAAAAAAAk/T7ICW4ACppU/Wallpaper-Sepulchure-1920.jpg

inuyasha
2013-05-25, 02:28 PM
1. Doomknights should not be any alignment
2. this class is awesome
3. why does it get necrosis so many times per day?
4. Gurgleflep you play artix entertainment games? So do i :D

gurgleflep
2013-05-25, 02:51 PM
2. this class is awesome

I agree with the alignment bit and the awesome bit :smalltongue:

Dartn tootin'! I've played all of their games, but I favor the original Adventure Quest and AQWorlds, I can't wait for AQ3D though.

Kristofthegreat
2013-05-25, 06:59 PM
I give the class a thumbs up as well. I would say that rather than dealing .5dmg / level Necrosis should be something like a d6 and rather than deal 50% weapon damage either increase the dice or add additional d6 periodically (like a Rouge's sneak attack ability). Generally the save on abilities like this is 10 + 1/2 Character level + linked attribute: In this case I would suggest either strength or Constitution as those will be the most important attributes for front line fighters, as you appear to be designing.

Improving the melee weapon as part of the class upgrade is always good, or armor. Use it on alternating levels with the Necrosis. +1 weapon or armor and so on. This would save the character some money whilst leveling while giving the ability an increase.

Corripio
2013-05-25, 08:31 PM
Doomknights? All I can think of is Artix Entertainment. If I'm right in my assumption as to what this is based off of, all I can say is "FINALLY!" :smallbiggrin:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-6Xz8kOzUMwY/T67FQFf5FuI/AAAAAAAAAAk/T7ICW4ACppU/Wallpaper-Sepulchure-1920.jpg

Your correct sir!:smallbiggrin:

2. this class is awesome

1: state reasoning please
2. thank you :smallredface:
3. Its the basis of almost every other class ability.
4. not for me

Krist of the great: appreciate the feedback, need to re-read it when I'm awake! :smallsigh:

Kristofthegreat
2013-05-25, 08:42 PM
Your correct sir!:smallbiggrin:

Krist of the great: appreciate the feedback, need to re-read it when I'm awake! :smallsigh:

It's supposed to be "Kristof The Great," and you're welcome. Let me know what you think about the comments; my standard D&D group is playing a campaign of the Serenity RPG right now, so it'll be a while before we get back to that, but I'd be happy to play test this class for you. We may do a "team evil" campaign.

Also, I think Inuyasha's comments were meant to mean this: your class seems to be geared toward evil characters, not "good" aligned ones. Therefore, you could enhance the class by limiting the alignment to "any evil."

I also just thought of this: could you make it feed into Prestige Classes that already exist, such as Blackguard?

Corripio
2013-05-25, 08:54 PM
It's supposed to be "Kristof The Great," and you're welcome. Let me know what you think about the comments; my standard D&D group is playing a campaign of the Serenity RPG right now, so it'll be a while before we get back to that, but I'd be happy to play test this class for you. We may do a "team evil" campaign.

Also, I think Inuyasha's comments were meant to mean this: your class seems to be geared toward evil characters, not "good" aligned ones. Therefore, you could enhance the class by limiting the alignment to "any evil."

I also just thought of this: could you make it feed into Prestige Classes that already exist, such as Blackguard?

I could, but I and the co-creator have already made one for this:smallbiggrin:. It would make sense, though, I'll run it past him.
Also discussing you suggestion of flat damage numbers with him as we speak. Feel free to playtest it, with the promise you'll say how it feels.:smallcool:
As to why just non-good, in both games the class crops up it is implied your (or you can be) a good guy, plus a piece that comes up in the homebrew Prestige class allows you to swap your alignment to whatever you please should a certain condition be met, hence I allow for neutrals.

Did that make sense? Again, out of it presently

gurgleflep
2013-05-25, 10:02 PM
On why they should be evil: Doomknights in the series are all for world domination using massive armies of the undead. Their leader is (depending on which game you're playing) actually an extremely intelligent undead... not all undead are evil, but with their methods and ideals they definitely lean more towards the evil side of (un)life. Paladins have a special kind of hatred aimed towards them.

Also, while we're on the subject: Somebody really needs to make a fortress that's on the back of a colossal sized dracolich! Shadowfall!

Corripio
2013-05-25, 10:37 PM
to those making alignment arguments: it was supposed to say "any non-goos", not just "any".
my bad!

bobthe6th
2013-05-25, 11:18 PM
um... so what can this do besides hit things with negative energy sticks?
The skills are odd... one really good one, and a bunch of meh. Also, the knowledges need to be labeled individually, or (any).

Also, the bleed is insane. at every level, one or two hits mean what ever is hit will die. nothing CR1 has much more then 10HP, and unless they have a lot of healing... needs either a much shorter duration, or a much slower scale. 1d6/2CL+10/CL on every hit... is very very op.

also, this lacks really intresting combat options. some manuvers would be good, even if restricted to movment/counter manuvers.

Corripio
2013-05-26, 02:54 PM
um... so what can this do besides hit things with negative energy sticks?
The skills are odd... one really good one, and a bunch of meh. Also, the knowledges need to be labeled individually, or (any).

Also, the bleed is insane. at every level, one or two hits mean what ever is hit will die. nothing CR1 has much more then 10HP, and unless they have a lot of healing... needs either a much shorter duration, or a much slower scale. 1d6/2CL+10/CL on every hit... is very very op.

also, this lacks really intresting combat options. some manuvers would be good, even if restricted to movment/counter manuvers.

well, it was half a point of damage and scaled in such a way that the bleed did damage = half your class level. I thought it was fine, but it got changed due to suggestions to get rid of the half point bit. So perhaps reword it to still do half the class level in damage?
And sorry about the knowledges, will fix.
though why do you say the skills are odd?

bobthe6th
2013-05-26, 06:54 PM
just be aware that this plus a way to kite an enemy means the doomknight will win every combat that you don't keep arbitrarily contained. also, any recurring villains that get so much as poked are likely to die.

one very powerful skill among a bunch of pointless ones.

also, your missing handle animal. it goes hand in hand with ride.

Corripio
2013-05-26, 08:48 PM
Played with how the abilities function a little, comments and critiques please.
Also skill modification has occured.
Also kindly help my partner polish his homebrew take on a melee seven fold veil!:smallbiggrin:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285375

bobthe6th
2013-05-26, 09:38 PM
Still lacks any abilaty not related to beating things with a negative energy infused stick. Is there any reason that combat won't boil down to moving and attacking?

Lord Raziere
2013-05-26, 10:03 PM
2. this class is awesome

Me three, only AQworlds holds my interest however. I have fun times killing everything with my Necromancer that can't otherwise be killed solo.

as for Doom Knight itself…..eh, I'm not that good at DnD mechanics.

though if all it can do is beat things with a dark energy stick, I don't know if it'll be fun…at least for me...

gurgleflep
2013-05-26, 11:43 PM
I like that you're trying to fix it up, but wouldn't it be a little easier to remodel the paladin? Basically, whatever the paladin does make it do the opposite: aura of courage = aura of cowardice, detect evil = detect good and so forth, take out a few of the abilities and replace them with something the Doomknight would do. I'm glad somebody's attempting to make this, but people keep poking holes in it.

bobthe6th
2013-05-27, 12:03 AM
I like that you're trying to fix it up, but wouldn't it be a little easier to remodel the paladin? Basically, whatever the paladin does make it do the opposite: aura of courage = aura of cowardice, detect evil = detect good and so forth, take out a few of the abilities and replace them with something the Doomknight would do. I'm glad somebody's attempting to make this, but people keep poking holes in it.

unearthed arcana varients. There not the best, but their done.

I would not suggest just using a refluffed paladin because:
a) It is a meh class to begin with, and the fact most of the abilities won't apply(usually even in an evil game, most enemies will be non good... as opposed to most being evil.) b) the paladin is more then a little mad, and c)you lose the intresting mechanic... which seemed to be the point of the class.

My suggestion would be to keep the existing abilities, but start adding
1. Some movement abilities, like telepotation.
2. Some fear based abilaties.
3. Some stealth based abilaties.

Just to Browse
2013-05-27, 02:24 AM
just be aware that this a crossbow plus a way to kite an enemy means the doomknight will win every combat that you don't keep arbitrarily contained.

srsly. Archers on horseback are totally a thing.

My problem with this class is that it's very weirdly worded (Do bleeds die off one at a time or do you roll for all of them? Is lvl 15+ a reference to CR or do I need to be a true fiend (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/True_Fiend_(3.5e_Class))? How many effective levels does Doomed Mage advance you?) and it's basically a ball of damage with no utility and little tactics.

While 10 damage per caster level is quite a lot at low levels, it's actual a solid punch at high levels (wheras 1d6/2CL is basically nothing). Half your level is also basically nothing to a monster of any CR, because the max damage you're going to do is generally less than a CR 2 monsters' HP.

If you're trying to write a class that packs big single punches (necrosis) and inflicts debilitating DoTs (bleed), then you should add more options to those. Since you can only activate necrosis once per round, it would be great to add class features that encourage actions like charging without pounce or taking move actions to activate abilities. If you'd like to stack Bleeds on a foe, then you should have a way to proc lots of Bleed effects (no save, no attack, no SR).

Without more fleshing out, I can't really tell what your feats do (except for the more obvious ones), but Doomed to Anarchy and Wild Doom are very weak, Golden Doom makes no sense and is also kind of weak (though you're better than the healer now), and Irresistible/Enervating Doom are both crazy good.

Corripio
2013-05-27, 12:08 PM
unearthed arcana varients. There not the best, but their done.

I would not suggest just using a refluffed paladin because:
a) It is a meh class to begin with, and the fact most of the abilities won't apply(usually even in an evil game, most enemies will be non good... as opposed to most being evil.) b) the paladin is more then a little mad, and c)you lose the intresting mechanic... which seemed to be the point of the class.

My suggestion would be to keep the existing abilities, but start adding
1. Some movement abilities, like telepotation.
2. Some fear based abilaties.
3. Some stealth based abilaties.

My fellow creator and I are VERY grateful for your comments, and in particular these suggestions. Expect to see 1 and 2 soon.

My problem with this class is that it's very weirdly worded (Do bleeds die off one at a time or do you roll for all of them? Is lvl 15+ a reference to CR or do I need to be a true fiend (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/True_Fiend_(3.5e_Class))? How many effective levels does Doomed Mage advance you?) and it's basically a ball of damage with no utility and little tactics.

While 10 damage per caster level is quite a lot at low levels, it's actual a solid punch at high levels (wheras 1d6/2CL is basically nothing). Half your level is also basically nothing to a monster of any CR, because the max damage you're going to do is generally less than a CR 2 monsters' HP.

If you're trying to write a class that packs big single punches (necrosis) and inflicts debilitating DoTs (bleed), then you should add more options to those. Since you can only activate necrosis once per round, it would be great to add class features that encourage actions like charging without pounce or taking move actions to activate abilities. If you'd like to stack Bleeds on a foe, then you should have a way to proc lots of Bleed effects (no save, no attack, no SR).

Without more fleshing out, I can't really tell what your feats do (except for the more obvious ones), but Doomed to Anarchy and Wild Doom are very weak, Golden Doom makes no sense and is also kind of weak (though you're better than the healer now), and Irresistible/Enervating Doom are both crazy good.

On the feats, my fellow maker made most of those, so I have no idea either/I'll ask him.
and we're overhauling alot of the non-necrosis abilities. Though we already have an ability that slaps a pack of bleeds on (2dmg per class level) with no save or initial damage.
as for how the saves work it was meant to imply each has a separate save, I'll mention that in the notes.
and you need to be a cr 15 or higher outsider.

bobthe6th
2013-05-27, 02:12 PM

except you have to keep hitting. One shot is doing 10/CL damage over 10 rounds... so get two hit in and walk. Most level appropriate things will die.
The other issue with kiting is you have to keep distance for a really long time to whittle the target down... this needs 10 rounds.

Just to Browse
2013-05-27, 03:26 PM
except you have to keep hitting. One shot is doing 10/CL damage over 10 rounds... so get two hit in and walk. Most level appropriate things will die.
The other issue with kiting is you have to keep distance for a really long time to whittle the target down... this needs 10 rounds.

10/CL is a heckuva a debuff, sure, but it's not a thing particularly special for kiting. I'd rather tank with a debuff like that.

I assume you're talking about the current debuff for this: If you can't end combat in 10 rounds as a kiting archer then you are a terrible archer and I don't feel bad about someone's DoT beating you out.

Corripio
2013-05-28, 10:04 AM
Ok, added a movement ability "black gate", re-worded some of the feats after talking to my fellow maker. Also the current duration for the DOT is 1d6, should I put it back to ten rounds?
And a request, the paladin conversion via the relevant feat, verbatim from blackguard or re-worked/worded?
Again, I highly appreciate the time you are taking to help me (us) with this.

Quilo
2013-05-28, 10:38 AM
O, ,O Quilo wants! *excited to see how this develops*

-Quilo o, ,o

Just to Browse
2013-05-28, 11:43 AM
Actually, the duration and effects of Bleed are something I wanted to talk about and totes forgot:

Bleed is one of the biggest mechanics from this class, so it should probably be the most intuitive, but right now it comes in at different values and each stack has a different duration. It should probably not only have fixed duration and damage, but the durations should refresh when you inflict another stack, because otherwise bookkeeping will be terrible.

Corripio
2013-05-28, 11:51 AM
Actually, the duration and effects of Bleed are something I wanted to talk about and totes forgot:

Bleed is one of the biggest mechanics from this class, so it should probably be the most intuitive, but right now it comes in at different values and each stack has a different duration. It should probably not only have fixed duration and damage, but the durations should refresh when you inflict another stack, because otherwise bookkeeping will be terrible.

I think I see where your going with this, but kindly give an example.
What can I say, I like making sure of what someone means

bobthe6th
2013-05-28, 09:36 PM
...Or you could steal the bleed mechanic that works from the Razor... or really just refluff the razor as a doom knight.

Kristofthegreat
2013-05-29, 05:14 PM
Ok, I missed out on a lot....I'll have to catch up on this thread later.

1st Necrosis should be xd6 + 1/2 class level, I think...since there are no half points, the second bit would essentially start at level 2. That part is totally up to you.

2nd since your focusing on negative / will crushing whatnots, it should be "negative energy" damage, not "magic" damage.

3rd there hare no half points in 3.5ed DnD, unless it's a house rule.

I think I see where you got the ability from...Dread Necromancer, right? Anyhow off to do some gaming now.

Foods for thoughts.

Just to Browse
2013-05-30, 03:30 AM
I think I see where your going with this, but kindly give an example.
What can I say, I like making sure of what someone means

About the bleed effect? Uhhhh... sure. I'd do this at the beginning of the class:

Bleed (Ex): At level 1, the Doom knight gains [blah blah I'm bad at fluff]. This is represented by Bleed, which is a damage-over-time effect, inflicting untyped damage equal to his hit dice to all affected targets at the start of the Doom knight's turn. Targets are affected by Bleed through other Doom knight abilities (below). Bleeds always last 5 rounds and ignore damage resistance (but not regeneration).

Bleed can also stack, meaning a creature can be affected by it multiple times, to a maximum of the Doom knight's class level. If a target currently affected by a Bleed is inflicted with another one, the duration of all Bleeds are refreshed.

Kraven, a level 8 Doom knight, attacks an ettin with Necrosis on her first turn in combat, inflicting it with one stack of Bleed, which will last five rounds. At the start of her second turn the ettin takes 8 untyped damage and during she misses her Necrosis attack so no new Bleed stacks are inflicted. On her third turn the ettin takes another 8 untyped damage and she succeeds on her Necrosis attack, inflicting a second stack of Bleed. Both Bleed effects have their duration refreshed to 5 rounds, and now at the start of her fourth turn the ettin will take 16 damage.

It's a lot to write, but now you can just reference "[X] stacks of Bleed" in all of your abilities, which makes reading much easier.

EDIT: bobthe6th, the razor totes doesn't work here. Your razor is battlefield mobility, attacking many times, and damage amplification through bleeds. This class focuses of minimal necessary movement, attacks once per turn, and damage amplification by increased bleed potency and consuming stacks of bleed. It plays a totally different game, and even the bleed mechanic would be weak for this class.

Corripio
2013-05-30, 04:53 PM
2nd since your focusing on negative / will crushing whatnots, it should be "negative energy" damage, not "magic" damage.
Quick bit while I have time;

It ISN'T negative energy. Its the same energy used in say, the Darkbolt spell from the darkness domain. Its supposed to be a brand new element, matching the fluff from which this class is taken.
Also all of the "half points" you see should be rounded up to the nearest whole number.

Quilo
2013-06-02, 03:09 AM
Has this been forgotten...? D:

-Quilo o, ,o

Just to Browse
2013-06-02, 03:29 AM
It's only been two days, I wouldn't worry too much. At any rate I really like the idea and would pick it up.

Corripio
2013-06-02, 04:14 PM
About the bleed effect? Uhhhh... sure. I'd do this at the beginning of the class:

Bleed (Ex): At level 1, the Doom knight gains [blah blah I'm bad at fluff]. This is represented by Bleed, which is a damage-over-time effect, inflicting untyped damage equal to his hit dice to all affected targets at the start of the Doom knight's turn. Targets are affected by Bleed through other Doom knight abilities (below). Bleeds always last 5 rounds and ignore damage resistance (but not regeneration).

It's a lot to write, but now you can just reference "[X] stacks of Bleed" in all of your abilities, which makes reading much easier.

EDIT: bobthe6th, the razor totes doesn't work here. Your razor is battlefield mobility, attacking many times, and damage amplification through bleeds. This class focuses of minimal necessary movement, attacks once per turn, and damage amplification by increased bleed potency and consuming stacks of bleed. It plays a totally different game, and even the bleed mechanic would be weak for this class.

Ok, will implement now that my network is behaving itself. Thank you for your time and example.:smallbiggrin:

Kristofthegreat
2013-06-02, 08:08 PM
Quick bit while I have time;

It ISN'T negative energy. Its the same energy used in say, the Darkbolt spell from the darkness domain. Its supposed to be a brand new element, matching the fluff from which this class is taken.
Also all of the "half points" you see should be rounded up to the nearest whole number.

Ok, lack of sleep and reading on my part led to that one. Here's a thought; since you're using "the Darkness" (which incidently always makes me giggle a little because of the "I'm attacking the darkness" skit), make it a non-magic different sub-type. Negative may have been a bad example. My opinion is that it should still be some sort of specific type rather than "magic" which seems kind of broad.

possibly xd6 Dark Energy damage / xd6 Dark Matter / xd6 Darkness. That way it's a bit easier to differentiate that for purposes of damage reduction, etc.

Good work thus far.

Corripio
2013-06-06, 12:06 PM
Ok, lack of sleep and reading on my part led to that one. Here's a thought; since you're using "the Darkness" (which incidently always makes me giggle a little because of the "I'm attacking the darkness" skit), make it a non-magic different sub-type. Negative may have been a bad example. My opinion is that it should still be some sort of specific type rather than "magic" which seems kind of broad.

possibly xd6 Dark Energy damage / xd6 Dark Matter / xd6 Darkness. That way it's a bit easier to differentiate that for purposes of damage reduction, etc.

Good work thus far.
Now that, I can get behind. Will edit.
Also I did make a prestige class for this class. Shall I post it?

Kristofthegreat
2013-06-06, 05:54 PM
Now that, I can get behind. Will edit.
Also I did make a prestige class for this class. Shall I post it?

Post, or IM me; I'm curious to see how you made it tie in.

Corripio
2013-06-08, 09:20 AM
Post, or IM me; I'm curious to see how you made it tie in.

its own thread or here?

Kristofthegreat
2013-06-08, 06:52 PM
its own thread or here?

Whichever you prefer....it may be best to develop ideas if you do it here; at least the way my mind works, it'll help get the creative flowing. And ensure it all ties together.

Quilo
2013-06-08, 07:18 PM
its own thread or here?

You could alway make a seperate thread for it and have links for each on the other's thread.

-Quilo o, ,o