PDA

View Full Version : [d20 3.5] Arcane Magic, a point-based system [PEACH]

ericp65
2013-05-27, 11:32 AM
Here's a .pdf of Arcane Magic (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14868131/Arcane%20Magic.pdf), my attempt at a point-based spellcasting system for arcane casters in d20 3.5e play. It's probably not playable as-is, hence PEACH :smallsmile:

I'd very much like to know how this system can be improved, so I welcome suggestions for additions and changes that will make this a well-balanced and playable alternative to core arcane magic.

TIA for taking a look, and for any help!

AuraTwilight
2013-05-27, 01:49 PM
I only skimmed it, but how is this different from the Spell Point system in Arcana Unearthed?

Pyromancer999
2013-05-27, 04:17 PM
I only skimmed it, but how is this different from the Spell Point system in Arcana Unearthed?

It appears to have more drawbacks.

Still, other than that, this is pretty much identical to the Spell Point System in Arcana Unearthed.

ericp65
2013-05-27, 08:47 PM

I don't recall there having been a point system in Arcana Unearthed or its successor, Arcana Evolved. I based the points on the 3.5e psionics system, and the rest came from my head, and from some discussions on rec.games.frp.dnd some years ago.

ericp65
2013-05-27, 09:15 PM
Comparing my notes with the system presented in Unearthed Arcana, I now see where some of the rules and text originated, so someone involved in the discussions that led to the collection of notes clearly supplied me with already-published material. If this is an issue, I'll gladly rewrite the identical text in my own words. It's been a long time since I've reviewed my notes.

ericp65
2013-05-27, 09:18 PM
It appears to have more drawbacks.

Still, other than that, this is pretty much identical to the Spell Point System in Arcana Unearthed.

What are the drawbacks, and do you have any suggestions for correcting them?

If the only meaningful differences are numerical, then perhaps I should pare down the notes to simply propose my numbers to replace those in the published system.