PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent oozes

Meat Shield
2006-11-30, 10:50 AM
I could have sworn that someone had created a civilization of intelligent oozes here at GitP, but a search cannot reveal them. Does anyone have any idea where they could be? Or know what I am talking about? I think it was originally posted in the spring for a contest entry. Thanks!

Fizban
2006-11-30, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure if it was on the Giant's boards, but I've seen plasmoids (intended PC race), and the Goo (an animal intellence blob buddy with eyes).

You an always just slap on a fiendish/celestial/anarchic/axiomatic template.

Edit: searching ooze finds these smart oozes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9916&highlight=ooze)

And since I can't find them in the search, and I love them so much, the goo:

The goo is a curious creature to say the least. The smallest of known ooze species, the goo is also the first ooze species known to have basic intelligence. Goos also have a much better perception than their mindless cousins, and they have a bit of personality. Another distinguishing characteristic is that goos have rudimentary eyes, which sit atop the goo’s body.
Goos feed on small animals, insects, and fruit, but they can subsist on just about any organic matter. They avoid larger creatures, but it is known that a hungry goo will attack larger creatures out of desparation. A goo usually minds its own business, but it will attack if it is molested. Goos are known to gather in small groups to forage. The smell of ripe or rotting fruit is irresistable to goos, who will immediately track down the source and devour it if possible.
Goos were considered of little value until someone came up with the “brilliant” idea of “taming” a few. Using the goos’ natural diet, the domesticated goos were soon put to use as pest controllers and garbage disposers. Needless to say, the person who came up with the crazy idea made a small fortune taming and selling goos to warehouses, inns, and some of the larger cities. The person also had some success marketing his domesticated goos as pets.

Ooze Traits -- All goos have the following ooze traits:
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
• Not subject to critical hits.

Goo, Tiny
Tiny Ooze
Hit Dice: 1/2d10+2 (4 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 15 feet (3 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 size), touch 16, flatfooted 12
BAB / Grapple: +0 / -9
Attack: Slam +1 (1)
Full Attack: Slam +1 (1)
Space / Reach: 2.5 ft / 0 ft
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, ooze traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +12, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Any
Organisation: Domesticated
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: --

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a Tiny goo is up to 19 pounds; a medium load, 20 to 40 pounds; and a heavy load, 41 to 60 pounds. A Tiny goo can drag 300 pounds.

Goo, Small
Small Ooze
Hit Dice: 1d10+3 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 feet (4 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+3 Dex, +1 size), touch 14, flatfooted 11
BAB / Grapple: +0 / -3
Attack: Slam +2 (1d3+1)
Full Attack: Slam +2 (1d3+1)
Space / Reach: 5 ft / 5 ft
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 17, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +5, Move Silently +3, Spot +5
Organisation: Domesticated, solitary, pair, pack (3-4)
Challenge Rating: 1/2

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a Small goo is up to 43 pounds; a medium load, 44 to 86 pounds; and a heavy load, 87 to 130 lbs. A Small goo can drag 650 pounds.

Goo, Medium
Medium Ooze
Hit Dice: 2d10+8 (19 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
Armor Class: 12 (+2 Dex), touch 12, flatfooted 10
BAB / Grapple: +1 / +4
Attack: Slam +4 (1d4+3)
Full Attack: Slam +4 (1d4+3)
Space / Reach: 5 ft / 5 ft
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 15, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +2, Listen +5, Move Silently +2, Spot +6
Organisation: Domesticated, solitary, pair
Challenge Rating: 1

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a Medium goo is up to 114 pounds; a medium load, 115 to 230 pounds; and a heavy load, 231 to 345 pounds. A Medium goo can drag 1725 pounds.

Domesticating and Training Goos
For handling and training purposes, follow the normal rules for Handle Animal checks.

A goo that has been trained for riding requires an exotic saddle. Look under each goo for its carrying capacities.

The cost of a domesticated goo of any color on the open market:
• a Tiny goo costs 250 gp
• a Small goo costs 400 gp
• a Medium goo costs 550 gp

Professional trainers charge 100 gp to train a goo of any size. Breeders charge an extra 150 gp to breed a color of goo they don't already have on hand.

Goos as Animal Companions
A druid or ranger may choose a Medium goo as an animal companion at 1st level, at the DM's discretion.

Goos as Special Mounts
A Small paladin may choose a Medium goo as a special mount, at the DM's discretion.

Goos as Familiars
A sorcerer or wizard may choose a Tiny goo as a familiar at 1st level, at the DM's descretion. The master of a goo familiar gains a +3 bonus to Search checks.

The Rare and Wily Über-Goo

The origins of the rare and wily über-goo are a mystery. Some spectulate that some poor wizard's familiar got caught in some experiment gone awry. Others say that a vengeful druid bred the benign goos for strength, size, and ferocity, enhancing the creatures with magic. Druids deny the previous claim. They suggest that the über-goo is the result of a powerful source of magical energies in the native environment that change the goos, increasing their size and toughness. Whether any of these spectulations are true, almost everyone counts their blessings that the über-goo is rare and found only in the most remote areas.

Über-Goo
Gargantuan Ooze
Hit Dice: 20d10+120 (230 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+0 Dex, +9 natural, -4 size), 6 touch, 15 flat-footed
BAB / Grapple: +15 / +52
Attack: Slam +26 (3d6+15 plus 3d6 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +26/+21/+16 (3d6+15 plus 3d6 acid)
Space / Reach: 20 ft / 20 ft
Special Attacks: Acid, engulf, quake
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft, ooze traits, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str 40, Dex 11, Con 31, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +0-12, Listen +0+1+2, Move Silently +0+0, Spot +0+1+2
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack
Environment: Any temperate
Organisation: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: 1/10th coins, 50% goods (no nonmetal or nonstone), 50% items (no nonmetal or nonstone)
Advancement: 21 to 30 HD (Gargantuan), 31 to 60 HD (Colossal)

Acid (Ex): An über-goo secretes a digestive acid that quickly dissolves organic material, but not metal or stone. Any melee hit deals acid damage. Armor or clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 30 Reflex save. A wooden weapon that strikes an über-goo also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 30 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
The ooze’s acidic touch deals 30 points of damage per round to wooden objects, but the ooze must remain in contact wit hthe object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Engulf (Ex): Although it moves slowly, an über-goo can simply mow down Huge or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The über-goo merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the goo, but if they do they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 35 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the goo moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the goo’s acid, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body. The save DC is Strength-based.

Ooze Traits: An über-goo is immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. An über-goo is not subject to critical hits.

Quake (Ex): By creating powerful vibrations within its own body, an über-goo can create powerful tremors as though using the earthquake spell, centered on the über-goo. This is a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The über-goo can use this ability once every 1d6 rounds.

I wanted to create an ooze with a partial CR, but I also wanted it to be intellegent and a little more charismatic than your typical ooze.

Tell me what you think of my cute and cuddly ooze.

(Note: I would post a link, but imine is from before the server switch, and is therefore non-functional. I managed to not get the creator's name either, or I'd search for their posts. If the creator of this monster would please step forward, gratitude will be given for the awesome-tastic cuddly goo).

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-30, 09:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it was the Glypstone who made them.

Draz74
2006-11-30, 10:01 PM
It wasn't on the Homebrew forum ... it was on the Contests forum.

Meat Shield
2006-11-30, 11:52 PM
Fizban, the Ozeran link was the one I was looking for, thanks!

Does anyone remember what contest that was from?

Stathfolos
2006-12-01, 10:43 PM
Actually I just created them straight out of the blue one day. They weren't a contest submission, but they are in the Compendium.

The link in the Compendium isn't working right now, though Fizban managed to find all the stats anyway.

Edit: Here's the address of the original thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21292&highlight=cute+cuddly+ooze