PDA

View Full Version : Mahaha [Monster][Vespuccia]

SuperDave
2013-05-30, 08:39 PM
Mahaha
Designed for Crossroads: The New World (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?345327-Crossroads-II-I-m-on-a-Mammoth)

http://www.inuitmyths.com/images/mahaha.jpg

Mahaha are sinewy humanoid beings, thin to the point of emaciation, with pale-blue skin and wild eyes that peer from beneath a shock of matted, stringy hair. They wear little clothing (if any), and always go barefoot, even in the deepest depths of winter. Their three most prominent characteristics are their unnaturally-long arms; their sharp fingernails at the ends of their bony fingers; and their ceaseless, maniacal laughter.

Mahaha possess unnatural strength and speed (though they have mercifully low intelligence), and take delight in using their vicious talons to “tickle” their victims to death.

Species Traits

Mahaha have the following traits:

Medium Size - as medium creatures, Mahaha gain no special bonuses or penalties related to size.
Monstrous Humanoid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#monstrousHumanoidType)
Cold Subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#coldSubtype) - Mahaha are immune to cold damage, but they have a vulnerability to fire; they take half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
Immunity to all charm and compulsion effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#charmAndCompulsion).
Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Skill Bonus:

+2 racial bonus to Grapple

Size/Type:
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Cold)

Hit Dice:
4d8+8 (26 HP)

Initiative:
+3

Speed:
30 ft. (6 squares), climb 15 ft. (3 squares)

Armor Class:
18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +5 natural)

Base Attack Bonus/Grapple:
+4/+9

Attack:
Claw +9 melee (1d6+5 plus 1d6 cold)

Full Attack:
2 Claws

Space/Reach:
5 ft./10 ft.

Special Attacks:
Improved Grab, Spell-Like Abilities

Special Qualities:
Darkvision 60 feet, immunity to cold, immunity to charm and compulsion effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#charmAndCompulsion), vulnerability to fire, Cold Body

Saves:
Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +5

Abilities:
Str 20 (+5), Dex 17 (+3), Con 14 (+2), Int 6 (-2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)

Skills:
Climb +14, Intimidate +7, Spot +3, Survival +3 (total skill points: 7)

Feats:
Dodge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#dodge), Mobility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#mobility), Spring Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#springAttack)B

Environment:
Any cold

Organization:
Solitary, Pair, Gang (3-8)

Challenge Rating:

Treasure:
None

Alignment:
Always Chaotic Evil

Advancement:
5-8 HD (Large), or by character level

Level Adjustment:P

An adult Mahaha weighs about as much as an underweight human.

Mahaha understand Inuktitut or Tuniit (depending on where they live), though they do not speak these languages. Mahaha are capable only of idiotic laughter.

Combat
Mahaha prowl the arctic wastes at random, living on whatever animals they can kill and edible plants they can find easily. When they stumble across a group of intelligent creatures, they will attempt to surround and confuse them, driving their prey towards each other with cause fear and fits of menacing laughter. Beyond this limited use of scare-tactics, Mahaha seem utterly unaware of strategy, and favor overwhelming odds, sneak attacks, and ambushes over a fair fight. They are intelligent enough to know that frightened and panicked individuals fight poorly, and they know enough not to pick fights that are clearly suicidal, but they fight as unorganized individuals, and show no compassion for fallen comrades. Typically, once more than half their band is dead, they will sober up long enough to realize they are outmatched, and will then attempt to flee as best they can.

Mahaha are proficient only with their natural weapons. Mahaha are not proficient with any armor or shields.

Cold Body (Su): A Mahaha's body generates intense cold, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage to any creature that contacts it with a natural attack or unarmed strike, or whenever it hits a foe with its claw attack.

Ice Walking (Ex): A Mahaha with 5 or more Hit Dice treats ice as if it were firm ground and need not make any Balance or Tumble checks while walking on ice.

Tickle (Sp): A Mahaha can try to tickle a grabbed opponent of a size equal to or smaller than itself by making a successful grapple check. The attack causes no damage, but an opponent must make a Will save (DC 12, charisma-based) or be be affected as by a hideous laughter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideousLaughter.htm) spell (caster level equal to the Mahaha's hit dice) for a number of rounds equal to the Mahaha's hit dice. An affected opponent can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same Mahaha's tickle for 24 hours. The corpse of any intelligent creature killed by a Mahaha's claws freezes solid over the course of 2d4 rounds after it dies, with a horrid rictus stretched across its frozen face.

Unbending Will (Su): As a bybroduct of their low intelligence and obsessive psychology, Mahaha are immune to all charm and compulsion effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#charmAndCompulsion).

Spell-Like Abilities
3/day each — cause fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/causeFear.htm) (save DC 12), confusion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/confusion.htm) (save DC 14). Caster level is equal to hit dice. The save DC is Wisdom-based.

Skills: A Mahaha has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC higher than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed (or at its land speed, whichever is slower) and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. A Mahaha retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus to their attacks against it. It cannot, however, use the run action while climbing.

------------------------------------

This is only my second attempt at homebrewing a monster, so some of the stats are probably wrong and it's probably not well-balanced, but I'm very open to constructive criticism.

Frathe
2013-05-30, 10:34 PM
You left a [/i] in the special attacks line. I think you forgot an [i]

Under the Special Qualities, you don't need to specify that Cold Aura is (Su). That's what the more detailed description is for. You also don't need to mention the racial bonus there. In itself, that's not a special quality. For example, look at cats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm).

You don't need a level adjustment unless you want people to be able to play as these. If you don't, LA — is fine (you just put "—" to indicate you can't play as one).

"Any cold land" isn't the usual kind of environmental indicator, though I guess that would work. There's a more specific format that's first says cold/temperate/warm (obviously cold here) and then something like forest/marsh/hills/desert/etc. Actually, if you really don't care about the terrain type (only the temperature) you could probably say it like they sometimes to the alignments ("any evil") and say "any cold" (which is already almost what you have, so sorry this was so long).

I think you have the wrong number of skill points. How did you get 21? It should be 7, if I'm not mistaken--(2 + Int modifier), or (2 + -2), which defaults to 1, per hit die (first HD x4), which is only 7 skill points.

(Also, you don't need to specify total skill points, or things in that kind of detail--3.5 entries usually don't--though it is nice, so maybe you should leave it in.)

You're giving too many feats--it should get two feats, one starting out and one for its third racial hit die.

The grapple should be only +9 (+4 BAB + 5 Str bonus + 0 size modifier)

For the special abilities, there's a specific way of doing them that you need to know about that helps the DCs scale with level. You need to know which ability score they're based on, then look at to this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm), which describes the method for calculating the DCs for (Sp) and (Su) abilities. It also describes the differences between (Su), (Ex), and (Sp) abilities.

Here's a CR calculator I was told about. It's approximate.
Vorpal Tribble’s CR estimator

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

Debihuman
2013-05-30, 11:13 PM
Is this 3.5 or Pathfinder? Feats are fewer in 3.5 than they are in Pathfinder. It should have 2 feats for 4 HD in 3.5. It gains another feat at 6 HD and another at 9 HD.

Special attacks should say "spell-like abilities" in the stat block (you don't list the spells in the stat block normally).

Medium creatures generally have a land speed of 30 feet. If it is faster that adds to LA.

How do you determine when a creature is "touched" by a Mahaha rather than when it is injured by a claw? "Any creature whose skin is touched by a Mahaha’s nails must make a Will save (DC 15)." You need a mechanic for touching such as whenever a creature is attacked by a Mahaha's claws (even if the attack is unsuccessful), it must make a Will save (DC 15). Don't make the DM's job tougher than necessary. See tickle below for a bit more on this.

Cold aura should probably have a save to halve is you are aiming at CR 4 or 5. DC 12, charisma based (I think it should have higher Cha (should be Cha 14 for spell-like abilities).

I recommend lowering Str and Dex and increasing Cha for a creature that relies on Special abilities. Claws are only good up close and this has no distance defenses other than cold aura which is 10 feet.

It looks like it should have extra long arms (maybe give it 10-foot reach with claws)

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with claws)

Spell-Like Abilities: I think CL should equal HD rather than be a static 4th level (what if you advance it?).

The DC of Spell-Like Abilities is always 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. Don't mess with that unless you want really unhappy players. Again, this is why I recommend giving it Cha 14. This will also affect its tickle ability (more on that later too).

In essence: If you are aiming at CR 4. Give it 6 HD, drop Str to 17 and Dex to 15 and bump charisma to 14. Give it reach with claws.

If it is in a cold environment, why is it climbing and swimming? There's aren't many opportunities for that. It has Int 6 giving it 4 skills at first HD and 1 skill per HD thereafter. It doesn't get 21 skill points, it gets 7. It might need a boost to Int too. 6 is low.

Most playable races have abilities that are based on 10/11 being average. To figure out its racial modifiers, you assume 10/11 base and add or subtract to get the racial modifier. You use 10 for even numbers and 11 for odd numbers.

This is its racial modifiers: It has +10 Str, + 6 Dex, +3 Con, -4 Int, +2 Wis and Cha +0 giving it better than +2 over all when you add it together. It gets LA +1 for having higher than average stats.

How is this for tickle?

Tickle (Sp): A mahaha can try to tickle a grabbed opponent of a size equal to or smaller than itself by making a successful grapple check. The attack causes no damage, but an opponent must make a Will save (DC charisma based) or be be affected as by a hideous laughter spell for a number of rounds equal to the mahaha's HD. An affected opponent can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same mahaha's tickle for 24 hours. The corpse of any intelligent creature killed by a Mahaha's claws freezes solid over the course of 2d4 rounds after it dies, with a horrid rictus stretched across its frozen face.

Debby

SuperDave
2013-05-31, 09:02 AM
You left a [/i] in the special attacks line. I think you forgot an [i]
Fixed.

Under the Special Qualities, you don't need to specify that Cold Aura is (Su). That's what the more detailed description is for. You also don't need to mention the racial bonus there. In itself, that's not a special quality. For example, look at cats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm).
Fixed.

You don't need a level adjustment unless you want people to be able to play as these. If you don't, LA — is fine (you just put "—" to indicate you can't play as one).
Yeah, I never intended for these guys to be playable; they're just strong-but-stupid Arctic baddies. Though I suppose someone could play as one if they really, really wanted to. There's just not a lot of substance to them.

"Any cold land" isn't the usual kind of environmental indicator, though I guess that would work. There's a more specific format that's first says cold/temperate/warm (obviously cold here) and then something like forest/marsh/hills/desert/etc. Actually, if you really don't care about the terrain type (only the temperature) you could probably say it like they sometimes to the alignments ("any evil") and say "any cold" (which is already almost what you have, so sorry this was so long).
I just wanted to specify that they don't live in aquatic areas, though that'd be obvious from the fact that they're Monstrous Humanoids, and therefore need to breathe.

Initially, I planned on making them Native Outsiders, but there are stories where the protagonists, trick the Mahaha into taking a drink and then kick it into the water to drown, which wouldn't work on an Outsider because they don't need to breathe. Also, I wasn't sure where they should originate. Is there an Elemental Plane of Cold?

I think you have the wrong number of skill points. How did you get 21? It should be 7, if I'm not mistaken--(2 + Int modifier), or (2 + -2), which defaults to 1, per hit die (first HD x4), which is only 7 skill points.
I thought they'd get quadruple skill points for the first level. Or is that something that only playable races get, or something that's only applied for your first class-level?

(Also, you don't need to specify total skill points, or things in that kind of detail--3.5 entries usually don't--though it is nice, so maybe you should leave it in.)
If it's convenient, then it stays.

You're giving too many feats--it should get two feats, one starting out and one for its third racial hit die.
Oh, forgot about that. Fixed.
(Darn. I really wanted them to have Spring Attack. Oh well.)

The grapple should be only +9 (+4 BAB + 5 Str bonus + 0 size modifier)
Fixed.

For the special abilities, there's a specific way of doing them that you need to know about that helps the DCs scale with level. You need to know which ability score they're based on, then look at to this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm), which describes the method for calculating the DCs for (Sp) and (Su) abilities. It also describes the differences between (Su), (Ex), and (Sp) abilities.
Let's see: 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier would mean that the save DC for hideous laughter and touch of madness would be 12, and it would be 14 for confusion.
By the way, the actual stories about Mahaha don't make any reference to abilities similar to the SLAs above. I just wanted to give it a little more oomph, because it always goes unarmored and unarmed, and it's too stupid to do much in the way of strategy. I was kind of just riffing off another famous man who laughs (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SelfDemonstrating/TheJoker?from=Main.TheJoker), and the ways that his "abilities" affect his victims.

Here's a CR calculator I was told about. It's approximate.
Thank you! That'll be really useful in the future, I'm sure!

SuperDave
2013-05-31, 09:28 AM
Is this 3.5 or Pathfinder? Feats are fewer in 3.5 than they are in Pathfinder. It should have 2 feats for 4 HD in 3.5. It gains another feat at 6 HD and another at 9 HD.
Actually, the setting is a blend of 3.5 and Pathfinder. And I fixed the number of Feats.

Special attacks should say "spell-like abilities" in the stat block (you don't list the spells in the stat block normally).
Fixed.

Medium creatures generally have a land speed of 30 feet. If it is faster that adds to LA.
Well, I want 'em to be fast, because they're not very bright, and I never really intended for them to be playable. I just forgot to add a dash after "Level Adjustment".

How do you determine when a creature is "touched" by a Mahaha rather than when it is injured by a claw? "Any creature whose skin is touched by a Mahaha’s nails must make a Will save (DC 15)." You need a mechanic for touching such as whenever a creature is attacked by a Mahaha's claws (even if the attack is unsuccessful), it must make a Will save (DC 15). Don't make the DM's job tougher than necessary. See tickle below for a bit more on this.
Fixed.

Cold aura should probably have a save to halve is you are aiming at CR 4 or 5. DC 12, charisma based (I think it should have higher Cha (should be Cha 14 for spell-like abilities).
You think the Mahaha should have higher Cha? As a prerequisite for spell-like abilities? Are all SLAs Charisma-based? I suppose that makes sense, though...

I recommend lowering Str and Dex and increasing Cha for a creature that relies on Special abilities. Claws are only good up close and this has no distance defenses other than cold aura which is 10 feet.
Wwell, I don't know about wanting it to rely on SLAs per se. I've added the reach, though. It seemed appropriate.

It looks like it should have extra long arms (maybe give it 10-foot reach with claws)
Fixed.

[QUOTE=Debihuman;15339331]Spell-Like Abilities: I think CL should equal HD rather than be a static 4th level (what if you advance it?).
Fixed.

The DC of Spell-Like Abilities is always 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. Don't mess with that unless you want really unhappy players. Again, this is why I recommend giving it Cha 14. This will also affect its tickle ability (more on that later too).
Fixed.

In essence: If you are aiming at CR 4. Give it 6 HD, drop Str to 17 and Dex to 15 and bump charisma to 14. Give it reach with claws.
That takes more math than I've got time for right now. Lemme get back to you on that. (P.S. I'm not married to the current CR. That can change if necessary.)

If it is in a cold environment, why is it climbing and swimming? There's aren't many opportunities for that. It has Int 6 giving it 4 skills at first HD and 1 skill per HD thereafter. It doesn't get 21 skill points, it gets 7. It might need a boost to Int too. 6 is low.
Alaska is full of mountains to climb, plus rivers, lakes, and oceans to swim in. Plus, can you imagine anything scarier than having one of these things claw its way up the side of your kayak? Or flip you underwater and start tickling you there, so you start laughing and drowning all at once?

Most playable races have abilities that are based on 10/11 being average. To figure out its racial modifiers, you assume 10/11 base and add or subtract to get the racial modifier. You use 10 for even numbers and 11 for odd numbers.

This is its racial modifiers: It has +10 Str, + 6 Dex, +3 Con, -4 Int, +2 Wis and Cha +0 giving it better than +2 over all when you add it together. It gets LA +1 for having higher than average stats.
Since I don't intend for this to be playable, there's no need to bother with "balancing" its ability scores. But thank you for your efforts!

How is this for tickle?

Tickle (Sp):

I like it! In it goes.

Frathe
2013-05-31, 12:17 PM
Initially, I planned on making them Native Outsiders, but there are stories where the protagonists, trick the Mahaha into taking a drink and then kick it into the water to drown, which wouldn't work on an Outsider because they don't need to breathe. Also, I wasn't sure where they should originate. Is there an Elemental Plane of Cold?There's a para-elemental plane of ice, in older versions of the game. Pathfinder doesn't seem to have it.

Oh, forgot about that. Fixed.
(Darn. I really wanted them to have Spring Attack. Oh well.)From what Debby said, Pathfinder gives more feats. I assume that's what happened.

Let's see: 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier would mean that the save DC for hideous laughter and touch of madness would be 12, and it would be 14 for confusion.The problem is that it's usually Charisma that it's based on. In this case, you say for the SLAs that they're based on Wisdom. You should change that, actually, then it'll be fine.

Debihuman
2013-05-31, 12:40 PM
Give them Spring Attack as a bonus feat. Creatures don't have to qualify for bonus feats (note the B tag) after the feat.

When you write skills in the stat block, the skill name then the number is the normal order. See SRD for formatting.

Skills: Climb +6, Intimidate +7, Spot +3, Swim +7

Also, yes creature get X4 skill points for their first HD. 1x4=4, Plus 1 more for each add'l HD (+3) 4+3=7. Voila!

Alaska is full of mountains to climb, plus rivers, lakes, and oceans to swim in. Plus, can you imagine anything scarier than having one of these things claw its way up the side of your kayak? Or flip you underwater and start tickling you there, so you start laughing and drowning all at once?

That sort of stuff belongs in the description under Combat. Can they hold their breath under water longer than twice their Con modifier? If so, give them the Hold Breath special ability (see whale as an example but tone it down unless these have huge lungs or something like that. Maybe they can hold their breath for 4 times their Con modifier).

Hold Breath (Ex): A muhaha can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

You could also give this creature a Climb speed and a Swim speed (half its land speed for both would be standard). Just add the following to a skills section.

Skills: A mahaha has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC higher than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed (or at its land speed, whichever is slower) and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. A mahaha retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus to their attacks against it. It cannot, however, use the run action while climbing.

A mahaha can move through water at its indicated speed without making Swim checks. It gains a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. The creature always can choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered when swimming. Such a creature can use the run action while swimming, provided that it swims in a straight line.

Note: all this adds to the creature's CR so decide which ones are most important design features. If you want CR 4, it should have that many special abilities (special attacks and special qualities) not including darkvision.

Alternatively, you may want to give them the ability to walk on ice at higher levels.

Ice Walking (Ex): A muhaha with 5 or more Hit Dice treats ice as if it were firm ground and need not make any Balance or Tumble checks while walking on ice.

Debby

SuperDave
2013-06-04, 07:19 AM
There's a para-elemental plane of ice, in older versions of the game. Pathfinder doesn't seem to have it.

You mean this one (http://www.planewalker.com/100904/paraelemental-plane-ice-derived-30-rules-planar-construction)?

The problem is that it's usually Charisma that it's based on. In this case, you say for the SLAs that they're based on Wisdom. You should change that, actually, then it'll be fine.

Wait, so I should change the ability that the Mahaha uses to cast SLAs, or the ability that its' victims use to defend against the Mahaha's SLAs?

Give them Spring Attack as a bonus feat. Creatures don't have to qualify for bonus feats (note the B tag) after the feat.
Good to know. This'll make 'em really mobile and hard to hit! Mwahahahaha.

When you write skills in the stat block, the skill name then the number is the normal order. See SRD for formatting.

Skills: Climb +6, Intimidate +7, Spot +3, Swim +7
Fixed.

Also, yes creature get X4 skill points for their first HD. 1x4=4, Plus 1 more for each add'l HD (+3) 4+3=7. Voila!
Fixed.

That sort of stuff belongs in the description under Combat. Can they hold their breath under water longer than twice their Con modifier? If so, give them the Hold Breath special ability (see whale as an example but tone it down unless these have huge lungs or something like that. Maybe they can hold their breath for 4 times their Con modifier).

Hold Breath (Ex): A muhaha can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Added the Hold Breath bit. I'll compose something about its preferred combat style at some point soon.

You could also give this creature a Climb speed and a Swim speed (half its land speed for both would be standard). Just add the following to a skills section. *snip* Note: all this adds to the creature's CR so decide which ones are most important design features. If you want CR 4, it should have that many special abilities (special attacks and special qualities) not including darkvision.
I'm gonna have to recalculate the CR later, when I don't have to leave for work. Like I said, the final CR isn't important to me, as long as it accurately reflects how difficult the creature will be to slay.

Alternatively, you may want to give them the ability to walk on ice at higher levels.

Ice Walking (Ex): A muhaha with 5 or more Hit Dice treats ice as if it were firm ground and need not make any Balance or Tumble checks while walking on ice.

I like this ability so much that not only am I including it for the Mahaha, I'm going to advocate for its use on the Tuniit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285312).

SuperDave
2013-06-04, 07:25 AM
Hmm. I just remembered that one of the most common ways of killing a Mahaha in the myths was to trick them into taking a drink, then kicking them into the water to drown them. But we've given them a swim speed, so that won't really work.

Is that too far from the source material, or is it an acceptable tweak?

Debihuman
2013-06-04, 08:54 AM
You can always tweak a creature.

Also, you forgot to note the bonus feat so it looks like it has too many feat and it doesn't have a swim speed (looks like you forgot that too).

Debby

Admiral Squish
2013-06-04, 09:44 AM
I dunno, I like that the mahaha is land-based. There are plenty of creatures we're going to do that swim. The ogopogo, the ahklut, the qalupalik, but the mahaha's the only one that actually has a weakness to water. I'd lose the swim speed and the hold breath ability, personally.

SuperDave
2013-06-05, 08:04 PM
OK, so I gave 'em a Climb speed, removed their ability to Hold Breath and to use Swim (to make 'em more like they are in the myths, to follow AdmiralSquish's suggestion), replaced touch of madness with cause fear (it seemed more thematically-appropriate to their style of ambush), brought back their cold powers (but changed it to Cold Body rather than Cold Aura), and fixed all the minor formatting details (like clearly marking the bonus-feats) that I could find on my own.

What's the verdict? Are they ready for combat? Any more tweaks to suggest?