PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld?

Wooter
2006-12-01, 11:49 PM
Well, it certainly looks interesting. Anyone have any opinions as to what it will be like?

ozymand1as
2006-12-01, 11:50 PM
eh, sounds okay....

TinSoldier
2006-12-02, 12:25 AM
Okay. I'll withhold judgment until I see the comic.

charles
2006-12-02, 02:19 AM
It looks like much more serious art (not that I don't love the OOTS art, it complements the comic style very well).

Can't tell if it's going to be complete comedy like oots or if they'll actually use words like croakamancers instead of necromanders and dwagons instead of dragons with a serious face.

Maybe the main character has a spiech impadoment :biggrin:

... wonder how long until we see their smilies
:durkon: :elan: :haley: :miko: :mitd: :nale: :redcloak: :belkar: :roach: :roy: :sabine: :thog: :vaarsuvius: :xykon:

Zebasiz
2006-12-02, 03:41 AM
Looks kindo cool. Sorta like it had more fighting in it. but that was just a couple of drawings.

Om
2006-12-02, 06:41 AM
I'll be waiting until we see the first comic to judge. I'm worried though about Rich's comment about the lack of gags. Generally webcomics, especially one that updates twice a week, are very poor at carrying story lines across several updates. They need that gag at the end to keep people interested.

WhiteHarness
2006-12-02, 08:58 AM
I don't like it.

I don't like it so much that I registered here just to say so. I've lurked here for a very long time indeed, but never felt compelled to register until this came along.

I'm sorry that my first post had to be so negative, but the last thing I think the world needs is another comic about a cutesy character with an outlandishly oversized sword worn in a back-scabbard of all things. How does he (she?) draw it anyway?

Order of the Stick rocks, but this doesn't. Again, I'm not trying to be an ass. Good-intentioned negative criticism is valuable, too.

Kalawaraka
2006-12-02, 09:16 AM
Wow...you felt compelled to join...just for a preview to a comic? The character didnt seem cutesy at all to me, its just the art style. Thats like saying OOTS is poorly made just because its stick figures- it doesn't make sense. Also, you are worrying about realism in a fantasy comic?

And you can say "this doesnt rock" without reading a single page of the comic? This isnt really criticism, theres nothing really to criticise yet.

Anyway, I like the art style, and I am always looking for more fantasy/comedy comics with some drama, but i share Om's concerns about the gag a day lack. Dominic Deegan works for me because it keeps me engaged every day. I stopped reading Sokora refugees on the other hand because it only updated 2-3 times a week. Hopefully the quality of the story will be enough to keep me happy.

Om
2006-12-02, 09:23 AM
I'm sorry that my first post had to be so negative, but the last thing I think the world needs is another comic about a cutesy character with an outlandishly oversized sword worn in a back-scabbard of all things.Well I'm not a fan of the art either (though the last two preview panels did look good - very OotS) and the oversized sword thing is something I commented on in the other thread. But I don't find art important to a webcomic and am prepared to judge this on the quality of the writing.

Mitheria
2006-12-02, 09:33 AM
While I will wait and give it a chance over the first couple of weeks, I have to say that I didn't like the sneak preview very much. The artist is talented but it's not a style that I usually enjoy and I know this sounds ridiculous but as soon as I saw the word 'dwagon' it kinda turned me away.

You never know though, it could surprise me and I end up really enjoying it.

charles
2006-12-02, 09:35 AM
What we need to remember is that the new comic is NOT OOTS and it's NOT the Giant's

With that in mind, its actually a nice contrast, a more serious art for a more drawn out story. Rich's OOTS will keep people coming here and the drawn out story will keep fans thanks to that.

However, I will say that a drawn-out comic book can often do much better by releasing a number of strips at once. It may well be that this commic could be better loved by posting 4 strips every fortnight or something. That way, fans would come to expect it on that time-line and probably see some significant developments each time.

Whatever the case, I think this is a good step by Rich, bringing in more reason's to visit his site and fund his work by offering more and not just more of the same stuff (not that I don't love it, but the difference could attract others).

charles
2006-12-02, 09:38 AM
Heck, it's like the difference between "Footrot Flats" and "X-men."

They attract different audiences and with this new comic, both audiences will be attracted to GIANTITP.

Not that many people here would probably know "Footrot Flats"

DamotheBoyWonder
2006-12-02, 09:47 AM
I just have one thing to say re: the preview: I hope for his back's sake that "sword" is made of cardboard

Chesny
2006-12-02, 10:23 AM
Go cross-promotion!

I'd say it'll take some time for this comic to build a following, but with the help of this site it should be sped along a little quicker than usual.

I see this turning into something of a division within the OOTS crowd. Some will love it for its different art style and such, and some will hate it for the same reasons.

We'll have to see next Thursday!

Lord Herman
2006-12-02, 10:33 AM
I don't like the art style. I don't like oversized swords, I don't like 'cutesy' things, and I don't like dwagons. As for the story, I'll just have to wait and see. But my initial reaction was 'bwegh, what's this japanesish rubbish doing on the same site as my favourite webcomic'. That said, it IS being promoted by the god of webcomics, so who knows.

Tussy the Druid
2006-12-02, 10:56 AM
Well, i have no predictions or judgement, but i will merely say this. Wow. That art is friggin' awesome.

Blood
2006-12-02, 11:33 AM
This is going to be really cool. We'll have a new comic every weekday!

Saithis Bladewing
2006-12-02, 02:11 PM
I approve of this for two reasons:

One, it's great to see other artists getting a chance to put up their work on a large stage. Sure, some people won't like it, but plenty of people will. Besides, it'll likely attract even more people to the site, which is a good thing for the community. :)

Two, it gives me something to do on GiantITP for two more days of the week beyond posting here. ;D

Sailacela
2006-12-02, 03:51 PM
I'm looking forward to Erfworld. Another excuse to visit this site (as if I needed one). I hope the story is engaging.

WoDHells
2006-12-02, 04:34 PM
Okay. I'll withhold judgment until I see the comic.

Indeed.. the drawing looks cool, though.. We shall see when it comes out.

Mr. Moon
2006-12-02, 04:43 PM
I can't wait. The style is better then OoT's, although I love my stick-figure avatars alot. (Thankies, Sneak!) Maybe this'll be an excuse to make an anime version of Moon Called...

Sheine
2006-12-02, 04:48 PM
The preview art is different, but then so is OOTS, we wont know if its good or not until we see the first comic come out :smallbiggrin:

CrossP
2006-12-02, 04:50 PM
First. The character with the big sword is female. Her name is Jillian. All of this information is visible in the top-right panel.

I saw Rich promoting Erfworld in his "Future of Giant in the Playground" panel at gencon. He got me pretty excited back then, though I honestly can't remember what all he said about it. He did hold up a giant sample comic, though and it looked like about one full page of a comic book. The whole thing was done in the style of the last two panels of the preview.

I absolutely adore this art-style. I'd like to point out to naysayers that oversized weapons are an integral part of the superdeformed art style that this comic is based on. It's meant to represent an unwieldable 50-pound sword just as much as Elan's sword is meant to be the same width as his eyebrows and legs.

Niles
2006-12-02, 05:27 PM
I like this art style better than the OOTS, but I don't think it would work on the later, so I just hope it fits the kind of story they're aiming for. As for the "good-intentioned negative criticism" I don't think is very good-intentioned, sinde you haven't seen anything. You should wait to see a couple of strips, and then you can tell us how much it sucks, as long as you give you're reasons to hate it (the fact that the main character has an oversized sword doesn't look like a good reason to me, or else Final Fantasy 7 would have never been the blockbuster it was).

aanimo
2006-12-02, 05:37 PM
Exciting! Less days of wait between comics here :)

Nodles
2006-12-02, 06:53 PM
I like the art, and the CG looks very good. I still prefer the old fashioned pencil-ink-CG route, so more goodness for the seeing.

My only qualm is the name. I cant stop thinking about that goodamn Gauss error function and transport phenomena classes when i see it :smalleek: (im such a geek)

EDIT: damn, i never thought i would find a more rabid fanhorde than Megatokyo's, but it seems i was wrong. You should chill a bit folks.

Bluesilver
2006-12-02, 08:32 PM
It looks like much more serious art (not that I don't love the OOTS art, it complements the comic style very well).

Can't tell if it's going to be complete comedy like oots or if they'll actually use words like croakamancers instead of necromanders and dwagons instead of dragons with a serious face.

Maybe the main character has a spiech impadoment :biggrin:

... wonder how long until we see their smilies
:durkon: :elan: :haley: :miko: :mitd: :nale: :redcloak: :belkar: :roach: :roy: :sabine: :thog: :vaarsuvius: :xykon:
Ooh, Erfworld smilies...

Sailacela
2006-12-03, 08:55 AM
I can't wait. The style is better then OoT's, although I love my stick-figure avatars alot.

I wonder if Erfworld avatars will be selectable at some point? It'll also be fun to see if any new, personalized homegrown avatars start popping up in the Erfworld style.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-03, 10:19 AM
I wonder if Erfworld avatars will be selectable at some point? It'll also be fun to see if any new, personalized homegrown avatars start popping up in the Erfworld style.
That would be awesome.

If Erfworld turns out to be as good as I'm thinking it will, I'm certainly up for doing an Erfatar of Shhalhr.

inky13112
2006-12-03, 09:13 PM
I think it looks awesome. I' already can't wait to see it after the preview. Admittedly I've never played any of the games with the huge swords, or read/seen any of the literature with the same "huge sword" style, so maybe I'll find I hate it too, but right now it looks great. Oh by the way, does anyone know if this is DnD based?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-03, 11:06 PM
All I can say is.....I like the art....I'll judge the rest when I see it.

Telonius
2006-12-04, 10:31 AM
The artwork isn't exactly my usual style (then again, neither are stick figures). It does look like the artist is very serious about it; seems well-crafted. I'll have to see the first strip to judge the rest. Cutesy/infantile dialogue tends to turn me off, so "gobwin" doesn't give me a lot of confidence. But hey, who knows, maybe the priest from Princess Bride is involved somehow; then I'd be totally cool with it. :smallbiggrin: I'll keep an open mind until I see the actual strip.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-04, 11:46 AM
i would assume that it is at least loosely dnd based, in as much as they come from the same "evolutionary" tree, as it were. they are both based off of a fantasy theme which has swords and sorcery, dragons (dwagons?) and deities, men and monsters. I doubt it will be of the same format as OOTS, bc i doubt the Giant would put such a similar comic on his site. I would guess that it is about as DnD based as a Forgotten Realms novel: same classes and monsters and such, but no rules commentary or specific rules references. Thats just my 2 cp though.

Doglord
2006-12-04, 11:47 AM
Dosent look as good as OOTS...

Sky_Schemer
2006-12-04, 05:31 PM
I am intrigued enough to give it a look.

Based on the previews alone, I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt it down. The art style isn't my kind of thing and terms like "dwagon" and "gobwin" are about as appealing to me as l33t 5p3ak. But it's conveniently located next to my favorite Web comic so I will definitely check in. Who knows? I may end up liking it.

Cirnech
2006-12-04, 07:19 PM
I'm kinda surprised that more people don't have more faith in Mr. Burlew. He's a savy guy with more wit than to add another comic to his site that would harm it. I'll be judging the new comic personally on the story-line, so I'll be a long time before I personally weigh in. I'm just surprised more people haven't regarded this desision as calculated.

ElfLad
2006-12-04, 09:29 PM
Not to mention I love Rob Balder's writing.

Also, just noticed this: "Erfworld" = Earthworld in cutesy-speak.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-04, 09:38 PM
Also, just noticed this: "Erfworld" = Earthworld in cutesy-speak.
So obvious when someone else points it out...

I knew there was something to that name!

fwiffo
2006-12-04, 10:18 PM
I'll admit, the naming scheme is a bit of a turn-off. But, I found Order of the ASCII to be very funny, so there is that. And while Partiallyclips is not my type of strip at all, it does seem to be pretty well done. So I am cautiously optimistic.

I wonder how the reaction to the first few OOTSes was. Anyone here was around from the first few adventures of the stick figures?

orange
2006-12-04, 11:01 PM
The sole fact that I'm gonna be getting added value to my giantitp visits is exciting enough, hit or miss. I'm not about to critic the art/mood choice until there's actually a few updates up. It's not about the style but the artist making it work (or not), imo. I mean if I got attached to stick figures why can't the cutesy (or whaterver) style win me over ?

I have so little to go by atm ... shoud reserve this question after the 10th update or so.

The Giant
2006-12-05, 12:46 AM
Hey, I can actually participate in conversations on my own site...I should have added someone else's work earlier!

Anyway, when Rob first pitched the idea to me, I will be the first to admit that the (as its been called) "Cutesyspeak" was a concern, something that made me wonder about the comic's direction. But having seen the first batch of pages with dialogue, I was convinced that it wasn't as bad as all that. I can assure you that there are not entire conversations in the Cutseyspeak (at least not in any of the pages I've seen).

I don't doubt that it isn't for everyone--OOTS isn't for everyone, either. But I think those with an open enough mind to enjoy stick figures will grow to love Erfworld as well.

blackout
2006-12-05, 12:48 AM
THE GIANT! HE SPEAKS! ALL HAIL THE GIANT! ALL HAIL THE GIANT!...Ahem....Sorry. Anyways, very wise advice, GREAT ONE! Er- Rich. That's what I meant. <_< >_> Stop staring.

Trinak
2006-12-05, 11:26 AM
Did anyone else see the giant sword on her back and think "Clouds Sword." Maybe just me. I need sleep.

Zaria
2006-12-05, 04:33 PM
I am excited about the new comic. Not only is the art engaging, I actually do like the "Cutesyspeak." It makes me think of my nephew telling me a story, something I always find humorous. As to the massive sword, why not? I mean, so many characters in so many books, comics, cartoons, what-have-you have used more ridiculous weapons. I recall a boomerang from an anime that was 15 feet tall and could cut boulders in half.

PlugNPlay
2006-12-05, 05:28 PM
If this comic is half as compelling and hilarious as Rob has been describing it for the past couple years, it's going to completely rock ass. He and Jamie have put more thought and care into this than goes into your average cruise missile. And as far as fan participation, it's going to go way beyond custom avatars. I can't wait to see it.

Mr Wizard
2006-12-05, 05:59 PM
I am actually really excited about this. After clicking the "Cast of characters" button at the bottom, Erfworld already gave me little laugh.

Jillian
Strengths: Fearlessness, Independence, Unrealistically Oversized Weaponry, Hack-slash-carve-stabbity-killing

:D

Yes, I think I will like this.:smallamused:

TinSoldier
2006-12-05, 06:02 PM
I am actually really excited about this. After clicking the "Cast of characters" button at the bottom, Erfworld already gave me little laugh.

Jillian
Strengths: Fearlessness, Independence, Unrealistically Oversized Weaponry, Hack-slash-carve-stabbity-killing

:D

Yes, I think I will like this.:smallamused:Huh. I didn't even notice that...

Mr Wizard
2006-12-05, 06:29 PM
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal."
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

That just popped to mind when I read Prince Ansom.

:D <==Needs a real smilie

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-05, 09:23 PM
Jillian
And one of her weaknesses is "knowing what she wants." Sounds like we already have a way to make certain (sub-)plots drag out to fill as many comics as necessary. :smallwink:

I like the Arkenhammer. Ocupation: MacGuffin. That one made me :smallbiggrin:.

Demented
2006-12-05, 10:32 PM
I spy with my little eye... something that begins with the letter "D".

Dwagon!

...I'm hooked. Just...too...cute.

Axl_Rose
2006-12-05, 11:51 PM
I don't like it.

I don't like it so much that I registered here just to say so. I've lurked here for a very long time indeed, but never felt compelled to register until this came along.

I'm sorry that my first post had to be so negative, but the last thing I think the world needs is another comic about a cutesy character with an outlandishly oversized sword worn in a back-scabbard of all things. How does he (she?) draw it anyway?

I agree; the underlying idea does for Erfworld does seem a little cliché'd but what the hell, I'll wait and see.

Who's up for a game of Parcheesi?

=D

charles
2006-12-06, 04:19 AM
I think Rich has made a brilliant move here with introducing other comics into the giantitp.com website. It's expanding nicely to have a great forum which includes general comic chatter, together with RPG gaming and discussion while hosting storie's and now MULTIPLE comics.

giantitp.com is becomming a nice company of it's own right, rather than just a posting area for OOTS. I'm looking forward to a professional area for online-comic and D&D material.

GOOD WORK RICH!

Fat Daddy
2006-12-06, 05:27 AM
The art looks well done (even if not in a style I normally enjoy) and I am hearing good things about the writing (other than the cutesy speak). I am going to give it a chance as I trust the Giant's judgement in these matters. I will withhold making my own judgment until after a few strips.

Ego Slayer
2006-12-06, 12:47 PM
Well, I'm certainly looking forward to this. Looks interesting, and if it's something Rich is willing to add to his site, well then it much be good. ^_~

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-06, 01:44 PM
I was excited to see that the Giant had decided to expand his site even more. I already spend roughly 28 hours a day here, so more things to do to fill the gaps is great. Also the thought of a comic a day has me very excited. Although i will always remain a loyal OOTS fan, i do think that erfworld will hold much sway on me (such a sucker for manga style art).
Anyone else really excited by the character page? i cant wait til tomorrow to see how the first 6 pages are going to be. Well, off to do more posting.

CrossP
2006-12-07, 12:58 AM
Dosent look as good as OOTS...

Could it possibly? Very few well-established comics look as good as OotS.

Most food, religions, and people don't look as good as OotS. Why would a tiny preview of an unwritten comic look as good as OotS?

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-08, 01:59 PM
Could it possibly? Very few well-established comics look as good as OotS.

Most food, religions, and people don't look as good as OotS. Why would a tiny preview of an unwritten comic look as good as OotS?

I seriously laughed out lous when i read this. my boss had to ask me what was going on. thanks for the mood shifter CrossP <wipes tear from cheek>