PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Wrestling (homebrew)

ThatNickGuy
2013-06-09, 12:18 AM
In High School many many years ago, some friends and I played a home-brewed pro-wrestling tabletop game. It treated wrestling like an actual competition, where you had to score a pinfall or submission on your opponent. You upgraded your attributes, moves, finisher, and even bought Special Traits for bonuses or Drawbacks for penalties for more experience.

A lot of it was broken, especially the Special Traits and Drawbacks, the latter of which was abused for things like Phobias, which rarely - if ever - came into play.

Anyway, the game has always been on my mind off and on. A few years ago, me and a friend of mine (the original designer) dusted it off and tried revamping it, making it a more fair, balanced system. I've recently dusted it off again. My friend and I are thinking of self-publishing it digitally. There are things that need to be tweaked and added, such as moving from inside to outside of the ring and back, rules for multiple participants, etc. We'd like to keep it as easy and accessible as possible without TOO many rules.

Overall, I think it works pretty well. It's fast-paced, allowing for matches between two rookies to last no more than twenty minutes (provided you're familiar with the rules, of course).

So have a look. I've added it to my Dropbox here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5m02p12wvk4tel/Spirit%20of%20Wrestling%203.0.doc). Make a wrestler or two, try a match with some friends, and let me know. If anyone knows a way we could play it online, like on Skype or something, I'm willing to introduce it.

Bhu
2013-06-09, 01:42 PM
I like the idea at a quick glance :smallsmile:

I shall have to try this

ThatNickGuy
2013-06-09, 04:43 PM
Awesome, please do! Feel free to message me with any questions.