2013-06-11, 03:42 PM
Table of Contents

1. The Art of Fighting - General Mechanics
2. Students of the Art - Classes
3. Twelve Blades - Martial Disciplines
4. Honed to Perfection - Feats and Skills
5. Iron, Cold Iron - Martial Equipment

The Aim of this Book: An Introduction

This started out as a small project I had called "Un-Vancianing the Book of Nine Swords", but it grew from there. But I should start at the beginning.

There is a strange dichotomy in D&D, between mundane characters and magical characters. Not so much in how much they can do, or how many tactical options they have available, but in their abstraction. For simplicity's sake, I will illustrate this with the Wizard and the Fighter.

The Wizard has a number of spells available for any given situation. Every spell comes with a lengthy description of its detailed effects. There are spells that target enemy body parts, that target only certain types of enemy, that target ony certain materials, that move things in closely prescribed ways. Spells are specific. Of course, the wizard can ask the DM to allow a more general effect. Can you use Defenestrating sphere to hurl a rock at a ceiling? Could you perhaps use Transform Sand to Glass on a salt lake that is not technically sand? Some spells have quite narrow effects.

Spells are also discrete. A single standard action and one spell slot produces a single fireball.

Martial attacks are in many ways the opposite. The attack roll is quite abstract. Whether you stab an enemy's arm, chest, leg or left eyeball, you make an attack and a damage roll. Not only that, but while some spells have quite detailed (and often graphic) effects, melee attacks take away from a nebulous pool of hit points that can, depending on edition and personal interpretation, mean any number of things: wounds, fatigue, luck, inspiration, dodging or divine favour. It may well be that while your blow deals 1d12+50 damage on a mid-level character, there is no visible effect on your equally levelled foe.

Even worse, in some aspects, is that attacks are also quite nebulous in what exactly they represent. Some sources and rules texts seem to imply that one attack roll is one stroke, while others tell of the dozens of slashes and parries that fighters are levelling at each other in the six seconds (or full minute, in older editions) of a typical combat round.

The Tome of Battle tried to adress a few of those things by giving martial characters a selection of more specific maneuvers. This introduced some tactical versatility to them while making combat mechanics more descriptive. There were a number of problems with this approach.

Earlier, I started a small survey in this forum to have a look at what the community's problems were with the Tome of Battle. Initiatially, my thought was to change the way maneuvers were gained and used in combat to do away with the pseudo-vancian preparation aspect and just having all maneuvers be available always, but it turned out the community did not want that.
So I will instead try and change the maneuver restoration mechanic of the Swordsage and Crusader, giving the three initiator classes a single unified refreshing mechanic related to that of the present Warblade. The classes will instead be more differentiated over their class features and their unique schools (Devoted Spirit for Crusaders, Iron Heart for the Warblade and Shadow Hand and Desert Wind for the Swordsage).
As a secondary goal, I want to give all the classes more maneuvers, especially counters and stances. All schools will gain more maneuvers as well, giving them a bit more breadth.
(Note: I'm quite sure I will change the name Maneuver to Technique. Maneuvers make me thing of ships and armies, not swordsmen.)

1. The Art of Fighting - General Mechanics

There are untold ways in which one can learn to fight. From one's parents, one's officers, from schools and wise masters or simply from brutal necessity and endless fighting.
But one fact remains: there are only so many ways in which one can fight with a given weapon. In a culture where fighting with weapons is a common occurence, formalized ways of weapon training will often emerge.
The twelve blades, as they are often known, are twelve well-known, standardized ways of fighting. While some fighters may arrive at the most basic of these techniques on their own, these are most often taught in schools or by teachers.

Initiator level

A character's initiator level determines how well-versed they are in the various techniques and stances of their craft. As their initiator level increases, their techniques and stances will become stronger proportionally.

Initiator level is determined in a simple fashion: their basic initiator level is equal to their level in all initiator classes (the Knight, the Warrior and the Weapon Master, described below), plus their base attack bonus from all non-initiator classes.

Examples:
The initiator level of a Warrior 3 is simply three.
The initiator level of a Knight 3/Paladin 2 is 5, since a Paladin has a base attack bonus equal to their level.
The initiator level of a Weapon Master 3/Rogue 2 is 4, since a second level rogue has a base attack bonus of +1.

Stances

A Stance is the most basic component of any fighting style and always the first thing a prospective student learns. It represents different things to different styles: while in most, it is simply a certain way of standing, holding a weapon and readying oneself to striking, in the supernatural schools, it is a way of preparing the mind and entering a mystical state of focus.

There are three basic categories of stances: offensive stances, defensive stances and utility stances. While this mainly serves their general effect on the initiator, there are feats, class features and some techniques which interact differently with different kinds of stances.

Stances give a bonus that is always active as long as a character is in that stance, with the following exceptions:
Initiators who is currently confused, cowering, dazed, dead, dying, fascinated, frightened, helpless, nauseated, panicked, paralyzed, petrified, staggered or unconscious can not enter or maintain a stance and loses all bonuses of their current stance. As soon as the condition no longer applies, they may enter a stance again as normal.

One may enter a stance in two ways: either with the Combat Preparation action (described below in the section on techniques) or as a swift action.
An initiator may, at any time, drop their current stance as a free action during their own turn, foregoing the bonus it gives, or drop their current stance and enter a new stance as a single swift action.

Techniques

Techniques are advanced combat maneuvers initiators learn as part of their combat training. They include strikes, which usually harm a foe in some way, boosts, which improve their performance for a short time, usually a round, and counters, which are ways to immediately react to changing circumstances and enemy attacks.
Outside of combat, in any situation that is not dangerous, an initiator may execute all techniques at will with no limitation.

During combat, or any other stressful situation, however, an initiator must first mentally prepare themselves for executing a technique. They may only execute techniques which they have currently prepared. The number of techniques which an initiator may prepare themselves for executing is a class feature and increases as the initiator gains more levels in initiating classes. Once an initiator executes a technique during combat, it is expended and can only be executed again once the initiator refreshes it. An initiator may choose to voluntarily drop any of their prepared techniques as a free action whenever they prepare new techniques, freeing up slots for other techniques to be prepared.

Preparing a technique is possible in several ways:
An initiator can prepare techniques ahead of time. To do this, they have to go through the motions of a technique, which requires a move action per technique to be prepared and can only be done outside of stressful situations. After this, the techniques remain prepared until the next combat.
The Combat Preparation action prepares a number of techniques.
Alternatively, an initiator can perform a standard attack with a weapon they are proficient with and, as part of the attack, refresh 1d4 techniques. These techniques plus any other they have currently prepared, can not go over the current maximum number of techniques their class levels allow them to prepare at any given time.
Finally, whenever an initiator switches from one stance into another (a swift action, see the section on stances, above) they may refresh a single technique.

Combat Preparation

Combat preparation is a new type of combat action that everyone with at least one level in an initiating class can perform once per encounter, usually during a surprise round.
Combat preparation takes a standard action. As part of this action, the initiator may enter a stance they know and prepare a number of maneuvers up to the half the number of prepared techniques their class allows, rounded up. Additionally, they may do one or several of the following:
-Draw one weapon per hand
-Move up to their standard movement distance
or
-Do a standard melee or ranged attack, if possible.

Executing Maneuvers

Strikes
Strikes can only be executed during the initiator's turn. Unless otherwise noted, they take a standard action to execute and involve making a single melee attack against a target, with an added effect specific to the strike.

There are, however, also strikes which involve multiple or no attacks, or which can be made at range. In such cases, this is noted in each strike's description.

Boosts
Boosts are techniques which temporarily increase the initiator's capabilities in some manner. Unless otherwise noted, they take a swift action to execute and their bonus lasts until the end of the initiator's turn.

Counter
Counters allow an initiator to react to the world around them. They always have a trigger, a certain condition which must be met before they can be executed, which takes an immediate action.

Steps
Steps are maneuvers which take place during a single move action, as part of that movement. Often, they change how that movement works.

Multiclassing and the Art of Fighting
A character always only has a single initiator level which they use for all their initiating classes, which is always calculated as their combined level in all initiator classes plus their base attack bonus in all other classes.
Similarly, it makes no difference which class one learned a maneuver from, a character always has a single pool of maneuvers known and prepared.

Chains
Chains are similar to counters in that they are triggered by a certain action. However, unlike Counters, they are not triggered by anything an enemy does, but by certain actions the initiator performs, usually involving a certain sequence of maneuvers or changing his

2. Students of the Art - Classes
-The Knight
-The Warrior
-The Weaponmaster

3. Twelve Blades - Martial Disciplines

Overview:

Stances:
Level 1:
Desert Wind: Dancing Sand (Utility) - move, tumble and balance across various kinds of difficult terrain unhindered
Desert Wind: Flame's Blessing (Defensive, Supernatural) - fire resistance based on initiator level

Desert Wind
Taking its name from the blazing wastelands and their savage sandstorms, Desert Wind is a school that on the one hand focuses on pure speed and dexterity, combining rapid flurries of strikes with dazzling agile footwork, but on the other hand also draws supernatural power from the sun and the storm, allowing the initiator to scour their opponents with fire and scouring wind.

First Level Stances:

Dancing Sand
Stance (Desert Wind, Utility)
Prerequisites: Initiator Level 1

The initiator may move without increased movement cost or speed penalty and without a penalty or increased skill DC to their balance or tumble check over angled, slippery or lightly obstructed terrain (see the balance and tumble skills) and over shallow sand and light rubble (see Sandstorm).
If their initiator level is five or higher, add deep sand and dense rubble to this list of terrain.
If their initiator level is eight or higher, they may tumble at full speed without taking a penalty to their tumble check and they gain Run as a bonus feat while in this stance.

Flame's Blessing
Stance (Desert Wind, Defensive, Supernatural)

While in this stance, the initiator gains fire resistance equal to twice their initiator level. If their initiator level is 15 or greater, they gain fire immunity instead.

Devoted Spirit

-Diamond Mind
-Faithful Protector

Hawk's Eye
While most trained warriors focus on close combat, the adepts of the Hawk's Eye train almost exclusively with ranged wapons, knowing that distance is often the best armour. Masters of this school are deadly with the bow, both fearsome snipers and able to unleash truly frightening hails of arrows.

First Level Stances:

Eye on the Horizon
Stance (Hawk's Eye, Utility)

While in this stance, the initiator suffers a reduced penalty for spotting creatures and objects at a distance.
Instead of a -1 penalty per ten feet of distance, they suffer only a -1 penalty per twenty feet of distance.
With increasing initiator level, the power of this stance increases:
At initiator level 5, the penalty is reduced to -1 per thirty feet of distance.
At initiator level 10, the penalty is reduced to -1 per fifty feet of distance.
At initiator level 15, the penalty is reduced to -1 per one hundred feet of distance.

Guarded Shot
Stance (Hawk's Eye, Defensive)

If the initiator provokes an attack of opportunity for making a ranged attack, they gain a dodge bonus to their armour class against those attacks equal to their initiator level +2.
If their initiator level is eight or higher, they no longer provoke attacks of opportunity for making ranged attacks when in melee range of an opponent.

-Hidden Blade
-Iron Heart
-Setting Sun
-Shadow Hand
-Stone Dragon
-Tiger Claw

White Raven

First Level Stances:

Bolstering Voice
Stance (White Raven, Defensive)
Prerequisites: Initiator level 1

By the initiator's mere presence, they inspire their allies to stand strong against menacing foes and dangers of the mind, hardening their will.

All allies within a 60 ft. emanation centered on the initiator gain a morale bonus of 2+1/5 initiator levels on will saves. This bonus doubles against all fear effects.

4. Honed to Perfection - Feats and Skills
-Tactical Feats

5. Iron, Cold Iron - Martial Equipment
-New Special Materials

Eldan
2013-06-11, 03:44 PM
Reserved for later

Eldan
2013-06-11, 03:45 PM
Reserved for Later

Eldan
2013-06-11, 03:47 PM
And one more, why not.

LordErebus12
2013-06-11, 04:09 PM
Question... Would there be room for another class in the tome of battle? perhaps a better Ranger? The Strider? I mean, they covered paladin, monk and fighter; why not the ranger?

Eldan
2013-06-11, 04:17 PM
I want to overhaul the existing material first. There's tons of tome of battle hombrew already, I'm sure someone already did a ranger.

So, maybe much later.

LordErebus12
2013-06-11, 04:17 PM
I want to overhaul the existing material first. There's tons of tome of battle hombrew already, I'm sure someone already did a ranger.

So, maybe much later.

not sure about the barbarian, too.

Eldan
2013-06-11, 04:18 PM
Tiger Claw Warblade already makes a pretty good barbarian.

Eldan
2013-06-12, 03:44 AM
A short introductory ramble, outlining my goals for this overhaul.

Eldan
2013-06-13, 07:22 AM
Okay. Stances and how to prepare and refresh strikes, counters and boosts. I'm quite sure the wording is more compliated and confusing than it needs to be, so I'd appreciate if someone would read over this and tell me where the text needs to be reworded.

Razanir
2013-06-13, 08:50 AM
Don't call them the Warrior. That's already an NPC class.

mangosta71
2013-06-13, 09:36 AM
If it's an overhaul of ToB, why not simply retain the names of the classes? I assume that Knight = Crusader, Warrior = Swordsage, and Weaponmaster = Warblade. As Razamir points out, Warrior is an existing NPC class. There is also an existing class called the Knight (and it's so terrible it should only be considered for NPCs).

Are counters still going to be counted as the character's swift action for the round? As swift actions, can a stance change be executed when it's not the character's turn? If both are swift actions, the specific situation means that the player will have to decide whether the benefit of changing stances outweighs the availability of a counter that round, but I like that - playing is more tactical that way.

Combat preparation is neat. However, needing a standard action at the start of every encounter is a significant drawback. While everyone else uses the surprise round to do something, initiators use the surprise round getting ready to do something with this system. Suppose you used this as the maneuver recovery method for all classes, with a feat to reduce it to a move action, and simply allowed initiators to begin combat with their maneuvers ready?

Finally, minor grammar nitpick: Under Stances, in the second paragraph, there's a subject-verb agreement error:
Initiators who is currently ...
If that matters to you, I'll continue to include such notes in my proofreading.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-13, 09:52 AM
Don't call them the Warrior. That's already an NPC class.

If it's an overhaul of ToB, why not simply retain the names of the classes? I assume that Knight = Crusader, Warrior = Swordsage, and Weaponmaster = Warblade. As Razamir points out, Warrior is an existing NPC class. There is also an existing class called the Knight (and it's so terrible it should only be considered for NPCs).

Personally, I don't mind renaming the classes if we're actually going to make them into something worthwhile. I know it's a holdover from earlier editions, but IMO the name "Fighter" sounds much more like an NPC class, while "Warrior" is something a PC could play.

In the other thread that gave birth to this one, I think it was expressed that these new ToB classes would have several archetypes (a la Pathfinder), as well as fully replace the standard melee classes. Hence the move to rename things to better describe what they actually do, since the terms "Warblade" and "Swordsage" where entirely made up anyway.

Eldan
2013-06-13, 09:58 AM
Two reasons.

1. I've found that quite many people thought that the flavour of Tome of Battle was not to their liking. Both for being "too eastern", in some fashion, too inspired by Wuxia and Anime, and for being not generic enough. Too many made-up words like Warblade. So, I'd like to use more generic terms.

2. I thought about giving different names to sets of alternate class features. The Swordsage would be a Weapon Master who focuses on supernatural schools. A Crusader is a Knight who focuses on divine power and fighting the enemies of his alignment.

IF someone can find me words that are more or less generic and used in western fantasy, but not in D&D, I'd be all for it.

On Combat Preparation: I thought it was still significantly better than the current "Spend five minutes meditating or training", which has a bit of a weird flavour and sounds a bit too Vancian. Plus, I said "usually in the surprise round". It doesn't have to be. You can do it just before hte surprise round, if your enemy can't see you. It's still significantly shorter.

And it includes drawing a weapon. I thought maybe also including movement, but then it sounded like too much. Alternate suggestions are welcome.

You shouldn't see this so much as "Eldan is overhauling the system" as "Eldan throws out his first suggestion and is happy to incorporate whatever the community throws at him". See me as the editor, here.

Eldan
2013-06-13, 10:13 AM
Rewrote combat preparation. Better like this?

mangosta71
2013-06-13, 11:16 AM
I see. If I think of anything that's both generic and appropriate, I'll let you know.

On Combat Preparation: I thought it was still significantly better than the current "Spend five minutes meditating or training", which has a bit of a weird flavour and sounds a bit too Vancian. Plus, I said "usually in the surprise round". It doesn't have to be. You can do it just before the surprise round, if your enemy can't see you. It's still significantly shorter.
I'm not disputing that it was significantly better. I was taking into consideration that the current official version has the initiator spend 5 minutes at the start of the day (while all the casters are preparing spells so it doesn't cost the party any time anyway) or after an encounter (while everyone is looting the dead and catching their breath before continuing) and is then ready to go. Your revision gives the impression that the initiator has to prepare his maneuvers every time the party has an encounter. Now, preparing them at the start of the encounter is amazing for versatility, especially if initiators know more maneuvers and there are more maneuvers to pick from, as you previously mentioned. I assume that this means 2 things: 1) there will be a significant increase in situational maneuvers, and 2) characters will know enough maneuvers that they will not be significantly less effective in general because they've learned a number of situational maneuvers. These are both very good things.

However, the first couple rounds of combat are essential for setting up the battlefield. Especially if the party gets ambushed. If initiators start with no maneuvers prepared by default, such situations will be even more difficult for them.

However, if they can have a list of maneuvers that they have prepared while they're walking around, and Combat Preparation allows them to use a standard action to change that list in response to an unanticipated threat, that would be great. It's like Adaptive Style, except a standard action instead of a full round and it's not a feat tax, so better in pretty much every way. And again, without seeing what you have planned for feats I don't know if you already have this in mind, but a feat to turn Combat Preparation into a move action would be awesome.

Eldan
2013-06-13, 11:22 AM
Fair enough. I'll add the five minute preparation back in, in some form. A "ready for everything" list.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 04:28 AM
Okay. Preparing ahead of time is now possible and most likely required. The Combat Preparation action now prepares only half of all techniques, to adapt to combat.

The idea is that you prepare a general set ahead of time, but have the option to get more specific ones when you need them.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 06:39 AM
The basic mechanics. I've tried to make it short, but I hope people can follow along. I'm not quite sure if I should do classes or disciplines first. Probably disciplines. The classes are realy basically fine as written, but more maneuvers is always fun.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 07:42 AM
Two Desert Wind stances for level 1. I think I'll do level 1 stances for all schools first, one utility and one other.

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 10:41 AM
Two Desert Wind stances for level 1. I think I'll do level 1 stances for all schools first, one utility and one other.

THIS! is the real problem with ToB. No out of combat utility... bah!

Those first two look pretty solid. Can't wait to see the rest.. so subb'd.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 10:58 AM
There's some, even from early levels. There's Scent from Tiger Claw, teleportation from shadow hand, a few ways of pseudo-flight, a few others. But clearly not enough.

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 11:03 AM
There's some, even from early levels. There's Scent from Tiger Claw, teleportation from shadow hand, a few ways of pseudo-flight, a few others. But clearly not enough.

Sure... but nothing related to diplomacy or bonuses to skills...

And other than White Raven, no buffs, especially not for allies. :smallfrown:

Eldan
2013-06-14, 02:46 PM
Not sure I'll really do Diplomacy. It's already a powerful skill.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-14, 02:54 PM

I still haven't found time to do a real review like I promised, but most of it looks pretty good.

Question: where you going to try and work parkour-style movement into any of the styles? Its something I've never been able to figure out how to do well in a D&D game, but I know it's come up a bunch, especially for monk fixes. Or rogues, sometimes; I recall seeing on homebrew feat that let a rogue sneak-attack extra large enemies Colossus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Colossus)-style.

Maybe just have a stance that grants you something like the equivalent of Spiderclimb? That would get you most of the way there, I think. If that didn't feel manuvery-enough, maybe make it so you couldn't use it for more than a couple of rounds in a row, which forces the player to occasionally land on horizontal surfaces in between gravity-defying stunts.

Not sure I'll really do Diplomacy. It's already a powerful skill.

We could just fix Diplomacy :P

I'll try to find the link for my favorite Diplo-fix; basically it tones down the skill somewhat by limiting it to a 1-step change, and making it temporary.

Gharkash
2013-06-14, 02:58 PM
I think there is a Shadow Hand stance that gives you the effects of spiderclimb. Dance of the Spider or something.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-14, 02:59 PM
I think there is a Shadow Hand stance that gives you the effects of spiderclimb. Dance of the Spider or something.

Ah, ok, nvm then I guess. I've only ever seen ToB used, never played as an iniator myself.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 03:00 PM
The closest to Parkour I can think of is the Psionic Feat Up the Walls and of course the Monk's slow fall. Not sure where to put that. Desert Wind has movement, but Tiger Claw has jumping.

As a fair warning: I'll probably move a few maneuvers to different disciplines. I never quite understood why, say, Iron Heart Surge was in Iron Heart. It makes more sense to me as either Devoted Spirit or Tiger Claw.

I'm trying to separate the disciplines a bit more from each other. There's quite a few effects (speed bonuses are an obvious one) that pop up all over the place.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-14, 03:02 PM
The closest to Parkour I can think of is the Psionic Feat Up the Walls and of course the Monk's slow fall. Not sure where to put that. Desert Wind has movement, but Tiger Claw has jumping.

It wasn't really a suggestion that we need to have anything like that, just something I was thinking about.

I know that "movement" is a Desert Wind speciality, but maybe we can give other schools different ways of dealing with problomatic enemies. Like a Stone Dragon technique that grounds flyers, somehow.

I'm trying to separate the disciplines a bit more from each other. There's quite a few effects (speed bonuses are an obvious one) that pop up all over the place.

I fully support that. I've had at least one thread where I suggested something similar for the standard magic assortment.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 03:03 PM
Should stone Dragon get supernatural effects? Because I can't relaly think of a mundane way to solve that.

My first idea on grounding fliers was "You jump sixty feet straight up and grapple the damn dragon."

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 03:11 PM
Perhaps throw stone at them, and "lock their joints like it's buried in rubble"? I dunno...

Deepbluediver
2013-06-14, 03:13 PM
My first idea on grounding fliers was "You jump sixty feet straight up and grapple the damn dragon."

I guess thats the issue of you-go-to-them vs. bring-them-to-you. I could see situations where either one is more valuable, though probably not valuable enough to have both on the same build.

Should stone Dragon get supernatural effects? Because I can't really think of a mundane way to solve that.

Personally, I've never been of the school of thought that ANY class should be totally lacking in magic or magical-like abilities. D&D is, afterall, a high-fantasy magical world. When it comes right down to it, I don't see much of a difference between superhuman (jumping 60 ft. in the air) and just regular, straight-up old fashioned magic.

Do you read Bleach? (the manga)
In it, one character has a sword that anything he/she (can't remember exactly) hits with it doubles in weight. And it stacks. So obviously after parrying a few hits, most of his/her opponents can't even lift their weapon any more.
If you didn't like the idea of Stone Dragon (and it doesn't have to be SD, that was just what came to mind first) knocking enemies out of the sky anti-aircraft style, then maybe give them a technique that lets them increase the relative weight of anything they hit until the point where flight is either reduced or impossible. That would give incentive, I think, to pare it with other techniques that let them reach enemies (or use ranged attacks) which is the kind of synergy I like.

If that still sounds to fantastical, fluff it so they are hitting joints and nerve clusters; maybe make it able to show down an opponent (running) or even decrease swimming, climbing, burrowing, as well, to make it more versatile.

Eldan
2013-06-14, 03:26 PM
Used to read a bit of Bleach, irregularly.

Personally, I agree on the inclusion of mundane vs. supernatural. That said, there's still a certain difference between someone jumping hundreds of feet through the air and summoning a pillar of stone out of the ground to crush a flier.

The first is for fighters. THe second, to me, is for druids.

One suggestion would be a ranged trip attack that also stalls fliers. That should work.

mangosta71
2013-06-14, 04:00 PM
I can see the reasoning behind that in the original ToB. Warblades and Crusaders were both required to specialize in one or two schools to qualify for the highest-level maneuvers, and to make all of the different schools appealing so that they wouldn't have one school being clearly superior and the one everyone takes, similar effects got sprinkled throughout all of them.

From what you've said, I'm under the impression that you plan to allow initiators to know enough maneuvers that they won't be similarly restricted in that manner. Another possible fix would be to relax the prerequisites for higher-level maneuvers, but I like the flavor of learning one style and building on that knowledge to learn more advanced techniques.

Personally, I agree on the inclusion of mundane vs. supernatural. That said, there's still a certain difference between someone jumping hundreds of feet through the air and summoning a pillar of stone out of the ground to crush a flier.

The first is for fighters. THe second, to me, is for druids.

One suggestion would be a ranged trip attack that also stalls fliers. That should work.
A target with magical flight and/or perfect maneuverability would not necessarily be brought to the ground by a stall.

What about a maneuver that allows them to use their weapon as a harpoon? Like good-ol' Scorpion in Mortal Kombat - you spear your target and then drag it to you. As a plus, the same maneuver could also be used against grounded targets for battlefield control.

Razanir
2013-06-14, 04:46 PM

That's an understatement. I used Tiger Claw in what is both my first attempt at optimization and my first foray with ToB. He can jump 100s of feet as a swift action with Tiger Claw. That awesomeness aside, I understand people's complaints about ToB not having much out-of-combat versatility. This already seems much nicer. Just please, keep my jump exploits in :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2013-06-14, 05:03 PM
Wouldn't dream of taking jumping away from Tiger Claw. I love that school. Sudden Leap may just be my one favourite maneuver.

I've added stances to Hawk's Eye. Everyone wanted a ranged discipline, here it is.

I'd quite welcome some stance suggestions for the other schools. I have ideas for some, but not all. Devoted Spirit has me a bit stumped, really. Faithful Protector (the name may change. Faithful shield? something like that) is the bodyguard school, which allows the initiator to protect his allies, so that's out.

Razanir
2013-06-14, 06:31 PM
Wouldn't dream of taking jumping away from Tiger Claw. I love that school. Sudden Leap may just be my one favourite maneuver.

I've added stances to Hawk's Eye. Everyone wanted a ranged discipline, here it is.

I'd quite welcome some stance suggestions for the other schools. I have ideas for some, but not all. Devoted Spirit has me a bit stumped, really. Faithful Protector (the name may change. Faithful shield? something like that) is the bodyguard school, which allows the initiator to protect his allies, so that's out.

I built a character who can wildshape into a cheetah, has a cheetah companion, and has a fiendish cat companion. Said character uses Tiger Claw to reign death on his enemies from above.

And if you want help coming up with a 12th discipline to go with your new name, you might consider adding one-sentence blurbs to every discipline so we can more easily see what's missing

Eldan
2013-06-16, 04:56 AM
I'm bad at counting. I was sure there were twelve disciplines.

But let's see.

Desert Wind: movement, fire, wind and light effects.

Devoted Spirit: aligntment based effects, faith-based resistance effects to various conditions, healing.

Diamond Mind: meditation techniques, battlefield awareness, reflexes, minor action-economy breakage

Faithful Shield: bodyguard techniques. Protecting others, taking attacks for others, making others harder to attack, interception

Hawk's Eye: ranged attacks, sniping, crowd control, counter-stealth.

Hidden Blade: feinting, status effects, stealth, sneak attacks, ambushes

Iron Heart: parrying, disarming, reading the enemy, timing,

Setting Sun: fighting larger and stronger enemies, throwing and tripping enemies, redirecting enemy attacks

Shadow hand: darkness effects, illusions, attacks on enemy life force

Stone Dragon: defence, breaking enemy defences, slow but unstoppable movement, grappling, bull-rushing

Tiger Claw: increased offense at the cost of reduced defence, multi-weapon fighting, pouncing, jumping, intimidating enemies, bloodlust

White Raven: leadership, inspiration, tactics

DracoDei
2013-06-19, 04:22 AM
While this mainly serves their general effect on the initiator, there are feats, class features and some techniques which interact differently with different kinds of stances.
-While this mainly serves to denote their general effect...

Initiators who is currently confused, cowering, dazed, dead, dying, fascinated, frightened, helpless, nauseated, panicked, paralyzed, petrified, staggered or unconscious can not enter or maintain a stance and loses all bonuses of their current stance. As soon as the condition no longer applies, they may enter a stance again as normal.
-How is this different from just causing those conditions to cause the stance to be exited and not being able to enter stances under those circumstance? Seems like you put the stance in a sort of limbo for no reason.

Finally, whenever an initiator switches from one stance into another (a swift action, see the section on stances, above) they may refresh a single technique.
So swapping from a stance to the same stance just to refresh a single technique for a swift action is not allowed? Seems a little tricky, especially for a character with only one stance who technically can't refresh any techniques because this requires swapping FROM an existing stance (so not no stance at all) to a different one.

Eldan
2013-06-19, 04:50 AM
There are other ways to refresh techniques. I've listed a few. And a character with levels in these classes will always have more than one stance anyway.

DracoDei
2013-06-19, 07:11 PM
Ah... I guess I didn't read far enough to see that you were giving 2+ stances at first level.

Did you look at the three "Age of Warriors" archery disciplines as part of making your own? Or maybe Iron Rain, which is for pistols and rifles? I think Vorpal Tribble even did one for crossbows, but in the end, I think the first three I mentioned would be enough of a base.

tarkisflux
2013-06-20, 03:24 AM
Devoted Spirit: aligntment based effects, faith-based resistance effects to various conditions, healing.

Based on this, I'd consider something along the lines of...

-Diamond Mind - Immunity to charm / compulsion / possession from opposing alignment (or something else similar to Protection from Evil)
-Faithful Protector - Align weapon, or grant DC X/<opposed alignment> to adjacent ally

In unrelated bits, have you considered working in rushes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178947)?

Eldan
2013-06-20, 03:52 AM
I did. I think others thought that they weren't really necessary and could just work as boosts with a different initiation action.

But now that I am aparently the only one still working on this and I need more ideas, I may just use them.

I will plunder the Age of Warriors here and there, yes. Especially for archery ideas. That said, what I posted so far is, I think, my own.