PDA

View Full Version : Elsiron's Drunken Stupor <Spell>

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-04, 11:53 AM
This spell was written from a sarcastic comment on another thread about 3 lvl 8 chs defeating a great wyrm red dragon. enjoy and PEACH away.

Elsiron’s Drunken Stupor (Wiz/Sor 5)
School: Transmutation
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short
Duration: 2 rds +1/lvl
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Fort
Spell Resistance: Yes

When Elsiron's Drunken Stupor is cast, a yellow beam is emitted from the caster’s hand. Upon being struck by the beam, the target’s blood alcohol level is increased by 0.08% in the first round, and each round thereafter it is increased by .01% per round until the spell expires. All the effects of being drunk are incurred from this new blood alcohol level. The target must make a fortification save/constitution check after each round to delay the effects of becoming drunk. Every .01% over .08% of blood alcohol level, the target is subject to a -1 to save/check. Once a save/check is failed, no more saves are allowed and the target is considered drunk. If blood alcohol level should reach .22%, the target automatically is considered drunk if not so already. Should blood alcohol level reach .30%, the target is rendered unconscious. If blood alcohol level should reach .35%, target must make a fortification save or die from liver failure. Upon the expiration of the spell duration, blood alcohol level ceases to increase, however the alcohol is not removed from the target’s system, so the effects of drunkenness remain. A successful dispel magic will halt the increase of blood alcohol level, but will not remove the alcohol already present. The spell is treated as a poisoning and therefore is affected by Delay Poison and Neutralize Poison. The caster may also choose to halt the increase at any time before the end of duration. The spell works by transmuting the blood plasma of the target into alcohol. Targets that do not have blood (such as plants and undead), whose blood is of some caustic or poisonous form (such as some dragons), are immune to polymorphing, are not effected by Elsiron's Drunken Stupor. Spell Resistance and Spell Immunity do affect the spell. The material component of the spell is a teaspoon of any alcohol, which is poured on the hands of the caster prior to the completion of the verbal component.

There is an alternative version of the spell, which is exactly the same, except it has target self and is a touch spell, not a ranged touch spell. This reflects the flavor of its origins and may work well for a semi-cursed scroll.

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-04, 12:27 PM
When Mordenkainen’s Drunken Stupor is cast, a yellow beam is emitted from the caster’s hand. Upon being struck by the beam, the target’s blood alcohol level is increased by 0.8% in the first round, and each round thereafter it is increased by .1% per round until the spell expires.

You know that if you get over a .5% BAC, you're looking at severe coma and/or death, right? That's ten times the legal limit in the US.Wikipedia source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_level#Effects_at_different_levels) Actually, as little as .35% is going to represent fatal poisoning in most people. To be fair, my source does say it's possible for some people to survive at .914%, but nothing higher.

.8% is about the same as 40 alcoholic beverages drunk all at once. :p

This would be a super buff spell for Drunken Monks, though!

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-04, 12:34 PM
i guess i meant .08%. ill go ahead and divide all the %s by 10 to make it fit.
and.......done.

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-04, 12:48 PM
Cool! Just making sure you didn't accidently start casting Power Word: Dissolve Liver. :)

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-04, 12:53 PM
Incidently, this spell has great potential at Wizard/Sorcerer frat parties, in addition to being useful for CR 26 dragons that want to "challenge" a party of 3 level 8 adventurers.

Malachite
2006-12-04, 12:55 PM
Wands of this would be great for theives - guards end up drunk and unconscious, and no one believes a thing they say :D

sigurd
2006-12-04, 04:22 PM
I like the spell. In deference to a certain companies intellectual property I'd suggest it become something like Touch of Drunken Stupor....

Just a thought.

s

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-04, 04:53 PM
Alright, so as not to infringe on intellectual property, should i decide to make this more public than this, i will call it "Elsiron's Touch of Drunken Stupor", but for the sake of this post, it shall remain.

Emperor Tippy
2006-12-04, 05:03 PM
Just make it Maje's Drunken Stupor

Mewtarthio
2006-12-04, 07:16 PM
Yep. "Mordenkainen" has been renamed to "Mage" in OGL content. Though I suppose that makes more sense if Mordenkainen never existed in your campaign world.

He gets off pretty lucky, though. All the other mages that name their spells just get their names lopped off.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-05, 10:22 AM
I still use melf's acid arrow and agannazor's scorcher, even though they arent real characters in my world. i mean there could have been a mage of great power in my world who also happened to be named mordenkainen. but if its that big a deal, ill change it. is there a way to rename the thread?

There. By the way, Elsiron is a very powerful mage in my world, so i think ill ascribe any potentially infringing names to him from now on.

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-05, 12:13 PM
I think it's a little silly when trademarks go so crazy they need to claim "Mordenkainen" out of fear that someone might mistake a spell name in another product for D&D and end up buying the competitors product by mistake.

Bitter_Elf
2006-12-05, 12:23 PM
I feel inspired to create 'Power Word: Inebrity' ... >:-) Or possibly Melf's Magic Moss; put that in your pipe and smoke it!

magic8BALL
2006-12-07, 09:15 AM
...smoke Melf's Magic Moss? Is that leagal? Would that be a Illusion [Pattern] effect or what? Followed by unconciesnes, lung failure and death... only to rise as a permenently hallusenogenic zombie? ...or not?

But anyway...

Range: sight of caster? shouldn't that be close, medium or long, just to fit in with every other ranged spell? Or do you really mean sight of caster? If so, dose that include scrying effects (such as scry, oddly enough)? Do mirrors count, being able to see around corners, and literally have line of sight, or do you also need to have line of effect (as most other spells)?

CASTING TIME 5!?!? WTF!?!? ...is this like some old school 2nd ed thing that I have never seen before?

...aside from the simple lack of 3.5 format for spell presentaion, I have no real issues.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-07, 10:13 AM
yeah, ive created several spells for 2ed but not for 3.x. back in old school spells had casting times rated in segments (10 segs to a round). the casting time was how long it took to cast the spell, which was only useful if you also used weapon speed (which was rated the same way) which was only useful when you tied on initiative. and with line of sight of caster, again, sorry old version. sight of caster signified the normal vision range of that caster (not amplified by scrying or such spells), which for battler terms was considered 300 ft (i think, dont quote me, but im pretty sure. actually i think it was marked as 300", which meant 300 ft or 300 yds depending on location). i would think that medium range would be sufficient, since sight of caster is too ambiguous and makes no real sense for you to be able to cast the spell that far in 3 seconds. thoughts?

fangthane
2006-12-08, 04:24 PM
Most ray spells are short range (25+5/2 levels), so that's what I'd advise on this one.
Spell resistance has to be a yes, I'd think (but you've omitted it)
It should be noted that it's a poisoning effect (so dwarves get a bonus and immunities apply) and at .35 (yikes) it should require a fort save or die from liver dysfunction. Also, all effects should be halved (or allow a save bonus)for each size above medium and doubled below; the same quantity of alcohol represents a smaller proportion of a Great Wyrm's body mass than that of a stirge.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-08, 04:32 PM
agreed with all but size modification. the spell (at least how i had envisioned it) works not by adding a certain amount of alcohol to the creature's blood, but by actually transmuting the a percent of the blood into alcohol. hence the school of transmutation, rather than conjuration. i will reflect the rest in the spell descritpion.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-08, 04:48 PM
Spell Resistance and Spell Immunity do affect the spell.

Actually on the re-read, I already included the SR affects this spell. I didnt know how it should be written on the spell facts sheet though. Done now though.