PDA

View Full Version : My New System

GreenDwarf
2013-06-14, 10:24 AM
Hello everyone. I have come to gain some feedback on my project if possible. I have created a system (d4-10 system) and a launch setting for it. I recently started a kickstarter and I was wondering if some of you could give me some critiques or first impressions. I can also answer any questions the material might raise. On the kickstarter page under update 1, there is a sample PDF showing some of the rules. Any help you all could provide would be much appreciated.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/799261150/inscrutable-puzzlements-an-anachronistic-victorian

SamBurke
2013-06-14, 10:38 AM
Seems like a good system! Always great to see that a system is almost all completed!

As to suggestions, I'd get the word out wherever you can, on forums and ads. Facebook campaigns and the like seem to be pretty successful.

anddrival
2013-06-15, 06:18 AM
The system looks so great and excellent effort.I really appreciate your new innovative thoughts.The system is carefully developed and looks great effort.Thanks for sharing.

GreenDwarf
2013-06-15, 05:40 PM
I've posted a sample of the setting/story for the game on the kickstarter page if anyone would be good enough to check it out. Thanks.

erikun
2013-06-16, 11:52 AM
Are you familiar with the Iron Claw/Jade Claw system? Because that uses the same idea of starting with a d4 die as the lowest value and progressing up in die size. It uses a different resolution mechanic, though.

When I see a preview of a system, I prefer to see a good concept of the core mechanics rather than a bunch of fiddly bits. The pdf seems to be mostly fiddly bits: some backgrounds, some skills, some boons, some equipment. I mean, I'm not getting a clear sense on the resolution mechanic, or the range of values, or even a clear idea on what setting the game is supposed to cover. Update #2 talks about magic and technology and serious history of the world, while Update #1 has stuff like the Lumberjack background with their +2 Magnificent Beard bonus towards attracting the opposite sex. (Extra silly note: Lumberjacks are not limited to men in the setting.)

Overall, I'd like to see more reason to actually play the system. At the moment, it seems more like a small collection of homebrewed concepts than a clear idea for a system.

GreenDwarf
2013-06-16, 07:04 PM
Are you familiar with the Iron Claw/Jade Claw system? Because that uses the same idea of starting with a d4 die as the lowest value and progressing up in die size. It uses a different resolution mechanic, though.

When I see a preview of a system, I prefer to see a good concept of the core mechanics rather than a bunch of fiddly bits. The pdf seems to be mostly fiddly bits: some backgrounds, some skills, some boons, some equipment. I mean, I'm not getting a clear sense on the resolution mechanic, or the range of values, or even a clear idea on what setting the game is supposed to cover. Update #2 talks about magic and technology and serious history of the world, while Update #1 has stuff like the Lumberjack background with their +2 Magnificent Beard bonus towards attracting the opposite sex. (Extra silly note: Lumberjacks are not limited to men in the setting.)

Overall, I'd like to see more reason to actually play the system. At the moment, it seems more like a small collection of homebrewed concepts than a clear idea for a system.

Fair points sir. I think I could have done a better job of "selling" it and whatnot. If you check out the rules PDF all the rules on how the game plays are at the end, I just added the other stuff to show the types of customization options that are available. And hey, I've seen some women with pretty magnificent beards in my time :smallbiggrin:
Your post inspired me to essentially write an example of play for the system. Could you give it a look to see if it perhaps conveys the jist of the game better? I really do value this feedback.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5cMsfFSSnnDeHJvWnotS05QODg/edit?usp=sharing
Oh, and I'd never heard of those systems, but they're pretty cool, minus the furry aspect that easy. Doubt I'll be getting my system confused with that :smalltongue:

erikun
2013-06-16, 10:01 PM
Are you looking for a critique on how well the material relays the intent of the system, or on the system itself? (For that matter, is the system currently complete?) I think it does a very good job of showing how the game plays out and the general tone/setting you can use it for, and so would recommend you put it up on the Kickstarter.

Oh, and the reason for bringing up Iron Claw is to mention another system that did the d4->d12 concept, just so you'd be familiar with how it works (and how it doesn't). The Iron Claw system continues to add dice past the d12 point (to d12+d4, to d12+d6, up to 5d12) while your system seems to just stop at d10. I'm not sure if that's your intent, but with my brief reading that was my impression.

GreenDwarf
2013-06-16, 10:26 PM
Are you looking for a critique on how well the material relays the intent of the system, or on the system itself? (For that matter, is the system currently complete?) I think it does a very good job of showing how the game plays out and the general tone/setting you can use it for, and so would recommend you put it up on the Kickstarter.

Oh, and the reason for bringing up Iron Claw is to mention another system that did the d4->d12 concept, just so you'd be familiar with how it works (and how it doesn't). The Iron Claw system continues to add dice past the d12 point (to d12+d4, to d12+d6, up to 5d12) while your system seems to just stop at d10. I'm not sure if that's your intent, but with my brief reading that was my impression.

I would like to hear what you think of the system itself since you think the example serves its purpose. Currently the core rules are done and being playtested. The only thing left to write up is the full setting section, a GM section, and the sample cases (adventures) section. Yeah my system stops at a d10 mainly for ease of use and also because growing dice pools just seem to artificially try to increase the players feeling of power. I feel it just overcomplicates the game for not enough gain (most visibly a downside in Champions or epic-level DnD). I put the example on the kickstarter.

GreenDwarf
2013-06-21, 09:35 PM
I've added a pdf sample of rules, setting, and play to the kickstarter to give everyone a better idea of how it works.

Razanir
2013-06-22, 12:02 PM
I'll be honest. I actually dislike the dice system you have. I can tell you're trying to give higher level players a risk of failing just like anyone else. But without static modifiers, that high level character could fail just as easily as the trainee on the same task. And for some skills, that just doesn't make sense. When you get good at something, trivial tasks really do become trivial. Basic programming is common sense to me, to the point where I probably wouldn't need to roll if I was an RPG character.

Just my 2 cp