PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (Weapon Enhancement) Built to Last (PEACH)

DracoDei
2013-06-15, 06:03 PM
Durable
For each level of this enhancement placed on a weapon or armor, the effective caster level for determining the weapons saving throws, vulnerability to being suppressed by Dispel Magic, and other such issues that would impair, damage, or destroy the weapon is increased by 5. These extra levels do not effect how the item appears to Detect Magic, Arcane Sight, etc.

The hardness of the weapon is also increased by twice the degree of this enhancement, and the number of hitpoints increased by 20%.

If 5 levels of this enhancement are placed on an item, then it qualifies as a minor artifact for purposes of effects that would impair, damage, or destroy it.
Faint to Strong Transmutation; Caster level 5th; Craft Magical Weapons and Armor; Price +1 or higher bonus.

Author's note:
Very effective at what it does I think, but it has to be because it is so useless in the eyes of most players.

2022 (Off platform comment from MMX Discord):
the_bluez
I have to agree with the comments
If this occurance doesn't happen often the price is too expensive
Draco Dei
So just halve the prices or something? 1/3? 1/4?
the_bluez
I'd go with a flat price (2000 or something more) and then tie the increased durability to the actual enhancement bonus
Maybe make it so that this increase in durability substitutes the standard one

DracoDei
2013-10-05, 06:32 AM
Bumping in hopes of feedback.

johnbragg
2013-10-05, 07:18 AM
In most campaigns, dispelling the bonus on a magic weapon, or the item having to make its own saving throw isn't something that happens very often.

I would rate this as a cantrip-level enhancement for magic item pricing. Maybe item creation involves the spell mending? That's not quite right--you're building a stronger item, not a self-repairing one. But that's the power level.

Der_DWSage
2013-10-05, 11:27 AM
I'd have to agree with Bragg-this is so situational (You have to be fighting a spellcaster of 5th level or higher, who specifically targets your weapon rather than legitimately try to shut you down.) that I'd say it's not even worth a +1 bonus.

Perhaps you should split this into a lesser-regular-major enhancement, and have static pricing similar to Glamour and Shadow enhancements.

Amnoriath
2013-10-05, 12:19 PM
Durable
For each level of this enhancement placed on a weapon or armor, the effective caster level for determining the weapons saving throws, vulnerability to being suppressed by Dispel Magic, and other such issues that would impair, damage, or destroy the weapon is increased by 5. These extra levels do not effect how the item appears to Detect Magic, Arcane Sight, etc.

The hardness of the weapon is also increased by twice the degree of this enhancement, and the number of hitpoints increased by 20%.

If 5 levels of this enhancement are placed on an item, then it qualifies as a minor artifact for purposes effects would impair, damage, or destroy it.
Faint to Strong Transmutation; Caster level 5th; Craft Magical Weapons and Armor; Price +1 or higher bonus.

Author's note:
Very effective at what it does I think, but it has to be because it is so useless in the eyes of most players.

As is I would make it an extra gold enchantment like sizing increasing the value 3 times. As a typed enchantment I wouldn't have mutiple levels and I would have it scale.

DracoDei
2013-10-05, 04:10 PM
In most campaigns, dispelling the bonus on a magic weapon, or the item having to make its own saving throw isn't something that happens very often.

I would rate this as a cantrip-level enhancement for magic item pricing. Maybe item creation involves the spell mending? That's not quite right--you're building a stronger item, not a self-repairing one. But that's the power level.

I'd have to agree with Bragg-this is so situational (You have to be fighting a spellcaster of 5th level or higher, who specifically targets your weapon rather than legitimately try to shut you down.) that I'd say it's not even worth a +1 bonus.

Perhaps you should split this into a lesser-regular-major enhancement, and have static pricing similar to Glamour and Shadow enhancements.
Natural 1's on saving throws, rust monsters, Disjunction, Rusting Grasp, Warp Wood.

Those aren't enough?

I mean, they might not be, but I'm just checking.