PDA

View Full Version : New monster competition chat thread I

inuyasha
2013-06-16, 08:20 PM
This is the chat thread for my new monster competitions, its being revived!
Use this for:

Saying if your entering
Saying any ideas
Asking for help
Peaching
Anything else relating to the contest

Please ask me any questions you have :)

#1: Back and of simpler construction (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288256)

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-16, 09:29 PM
Well, cheers.

This has been tried at least once since Mullet stopped doing it and that one never even made it to the actual end of the month. Hope this one survives where failure has haunted this specific contest variety for so long.

inuyasha
2013-06-16, 09:38 PM
Well, cheers.

This has been tried at least once since Mullet stopped doing it and that one never even made it to the actual end of the month. Hope this one survives where failure has haunted this specific contest variety for so long.

wait...I thought [someone I cant say :p] did it, then mullet did it once and no one joined :p

so will you compete?

Bhu
2013-06-16, 10:10 PM
Is there a theme yet?

inuyasha
2013-06-16, 10:12 PM
yep, its in the other thread i made (i'll add a link to the op :))
okay, its added :)

Tanuki Tales
2013-06-16, 11:39 PM
wait...I thought [someone I cant say :p] did it, then mullet did it once and no one joined :p

No, Mullet did it for a few months, which is when I got into Homebrewing really. I won a few of those contests back in the day.

Chainsaw Hobbit tried to pick it back up half a year ago or so I believe.

LOTRfan
2013-06-17, 01:07 AM
Well, I posted something; my attempt at magical fantasy holograms. The name is stupid, so if you have another name that you think is better I'm more than open to suggestions. And, if possible, I'd love someone to PEACH it for me.

BlasphemousSlug
2013-06-17, 06:07 AM
I'll be entering a monster at some point. Just don't know when :smalltongue:

inuyasha
2013-06-17, 05:06 PM
awesome :D

Debihuman
2013-06-19, 04:52 AM
I'll see if I can enter something as well.

Debby

inuyasha
2013-06-19, 01:06 PM
i am eagerly anticipating the entries :D

Temotei
2013-07-15, 10:41 AM
Just on time. :smallamused:

Anyway, you should probably link to this thread in the competition's first post.

I'm glad I found this contest today. Didn't even notice there was a contest. I made the monster quickly, so there are probably mistakes I missed. If anyone sees any, I'd really appreciate them being pointed out.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-15, 12:07 PM
Just popping in to let you know that I've linked to your contest in my contest's chat thread's first post like I did for Errant's and Temotei's 3.5 contests.

Debihuman
2013-07-15, 03:34 PM
Brett, your clocikwork golem is pretty good. You might want to fix the formatting (bolding and such -- see my golem as an example). Scratch that. I'l do it for you and you can copy and paste if you like:

Note: Attack lines should include -1 size modifier. Also, I messed up your cost because a 1 ton of copper should cost 200 gp.

Clockwork Golem
Size and Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 5d10+30 (57 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (4 squares)
Initiative: -1
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +14 natural) touch 8, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 slams +7 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Gear grind
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft, DR 10/ bludgeoning, low-light vision, immunity to magic, jam up.
Saves: Fort: +1 Ref: +0 Will: +1
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: —
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Huge), 11-15 HD (Gargantuan), 16-20 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Description:

"The vaguely humanoid automaton before you whirls and clicks as 1,000 gears move in unison to move it towards you."

Made from the finest copper, these deadly automatons are mainly used to guard treasure rooms. They look like large copper statuses when inactive.

Combat

Gear Grind (Ex): When a Clockwork golem makes a full attack and hits with both slam attacks, it deals an extra 2d6+5 points of bludgeoning damage.

Jam up (Ex): Every time a Clockwork golem moves or attacks, there is a cumulative 5% chance that all its gears will lock-up. Treat this as if the Clockwork golem is paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. After this time is over, the percent chance resets.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A Clockwork golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the Clockwork golem as noted below:

A grease spell prevents the clockwork golem from jamming up.

A haste spell allows a clockwork golem to act for 1d6 rounds with out a chance of jamming up.

Any spell with the cold description deals regular damage and increases the clockwork's chance of jamming up by 5% for every point of damage dealt.

Construction:
A clockwork golem is constructed from 1 ton of pure copper costing 200 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 20 craft (mechanics).

CL 9; Craft Construct, geas/quest, grease, haste, limited wish, Caster must be at least 9th level; Price: 9,700 gp, Cost: 4,850 gp and 388 XP

Debihuman
2013-07-15, 03:48 PM
Well, I posted something; my attempt at magical fantasy holograms. The name is stupid, so if you have another name that you think is better I'm more than open to suggestions. And, if possible, I'd love someone to PEACH it for me.

The name isn't horrible but seems unfinished. Imaginary What? Imaginary Crystal makes the most sense or even Crystal Projection. Or you can just leave it.

I'm not familiar with psionics so I can't give you a thorough critique.

I noticed the critical damage is 19-20. Generally monsters critical hit only on a 20. You should mention that somewhere that it critical hits on 19-20, probably in Mind Blade so it doesn't look like a mistake. You should have copied the information from the original class: "A Medium soulknife materializes a Medium mind blade that he can wield as a light weapon, and the blade deals 1d6 points of damage (crit 19-20/×2)."

Debby

Temotei
2013-07-15, 03:51 PM

I actually like the name, but not really for what you've made. It doesn't really seem to fit.

It'd be really funny to have a colossal construct be disbelieved into being tiny or something.

smoke prism
2013-07-15, 03:56 PM
Debby thanks for the time you've put into going over it and editing it for me.

Debihuman
2013-07-15, 04:00 PM
No problem. I used to do this for all the entries but I haven't the time any more. They should all look as polished as possible by the time voting comes around just because someone might take that into account.

Nice job for being new.

Debby

inuyasha
2013-07-16, 04:34 PM
Oh dear let me set up the voting thread :eek: I was gone yesterday and forgot :O (Ive been gone all week actually :p)

So, anyone have any ideas for the next one? (if not, I can think of one)

Temotei
2013-07-17, 12:15 AM

You could always draw inspiration from one of the old contests (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12507817&postcount=1).

Flat-out copying one wouldn't be terrible, either. A really old one that hasn't been repeated and is fun?

Debihuman
2013-07-17, 09:18 AM
This thread should have been linked to your first post in the monster competition .

3WhiteFox3
2013-07-17, 01:14 PM
Oh dear let me set up the voting thread :eek: I was gone yesterday and forgot :O (Ive been gone all week actually :p)

What about...

Must be inspired by or be thematically tied to a non-core subsystem or class?

Books outside of core just don't get enough love, so having some monsters for them would be fun. It's open for people to play with the idea, and we would see monsters using different mechanics than what we might see otherwise.

Temotei
2013-07-17, 01:17 PM
What about...

Must be inspired by or be thematically tied to a non-core subsystem or class?

Books outside of core just don't get enough love, so having some monsters for them would be fun. It's open for people to play with the idea, and we would see monsters using different mechanics than what we might see otherwise.

Ooh. I like this. I'd really like to play with incarnum more.

inuyasha
2013-09-03, 02:25 PM
Mmkay, I wanna start this up again, so next contest...what should it be.
each person gets 2 votes, they cannot be on the same thing, and a vote can be used to submit a new topic. votes may be changed

{table=head]name|votes
Select an old contest|1
Draw from an alternate magic system|3
inner planes|1
[/table]

Zaydos
2013-09-03, 02:46 PM
Draw from an alternate magic system those are always fun.
Denizens of the Inner Planes because I've been doing too much inner planar stuff recently so it's stuck on my brain.

smoke prism
2013-09-03, 03:46 PM
Select an old contest

Under the sea: Create a monster that lives under the sea.

Temotei
2013-09-03, 08:48 PM
Under the Sea - I like this idea.

Drylands - Make a monster from a desert environment.

Debihuman
2013-09-04, 06:08 AM
Under the sea sounds like a great contest. I'd vote for that over desert.

Debby

3WhiteFox3
2013-09-04, 10:25 AM
My votes are for - Alternate Magic System and Under The Sea.