PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian NA

StickMan
2006-12-04, 11:43 PM
I was thinking often you see the Barbarain types with out armor of any kind but are natraly tough. So my idea is to get rid of any prof with armor or sheilds but gain a Natural Armor bonus equal to there Constition bonus. What do you think.

At first I tought of incressing it like the monk but found that to be to strong becasue this kind of Barbarain would definly be putting every thing it could in Con so the aditional bonus would make it way to strong.

Also this would cancel out the -2 to AC from rage.

Cirnech
2006-12-05, 09:32 AM
It's probably a bad idea to allow combat ability scores to be applied to AC (other than Dexterity). We all ready have Wisdom, and Intelligence, and I think I've even seen Charisma some where. You'd also have to put a restriction on armor, or a character would always take the dip into fighter (which is already appealing because of feats). Maybe losing Rage when wearing armor (even that might not be enough to deter players from doing it any way).

That said, I like the concept. Increasing it like the monk makes it useful in later levels, and helps to discourage (only slightly) that fighter or Paladin dip.

Khantalas
2006-12-05, 09:35 AM
Fighters, paladins and clerics already get a similar thing with Dragon Magic variant. Barbarians don't because they're not proficent with heavy armor.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-05, 11:51 AM
You may consider lightening on the no armor at all rule. limit them to leather or hides (nothing says "barbarian" like wearing a dead animal for protection). I like the CON bonus as NA, i assume that DEX adds to AC as well. Maybe toss in a lesser AC progression, similar to monks, but not as powerful (im not sure of the exact progression off the top of my head, otherwise i would post my idea for a barbarian progression). This way (like every other player in the game) AC gets better as levels get better. Monks get it naturally, everyone else just gets more money to get better armor/items. Keeps the barbarian a viable choice at higher levels.

StickMan
2006-12-05, 02:36 PM
I think it would be hard to take away Rage for wearing armor "Grrr I can't get mad because I have leather on." But I think the loss of fastmovement, Uncany dodge, and Trap sense would make sense because you could not move as freely.

The only thing that worries me about a incress to the armor like the monk is that if you incress your con score as well + that it seems like you'd get a very high AC. Also this Barbarian could still use bracers of armor on top of that. But I would like to hear more befor I set my mind on anything.

Thanks for all coments so far.

StickMan
2006-12-05, 10:16 PM
So I when to B and N and read Dragon magic and I hate the NA variant does not work for what I want.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-05, 11:46 PM
How about a variant that drops Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge and Trap Sense as well as the ability to ever wear armor in exchange for the natural armor thing you're talking about?

Put in a caveat that if you ever don any armor, you loose all natural armor bonuses.

Also, keep in mind that one cannot use this and the monk because monk is Lawful only, and Barbarian is Chaotic only. If you go Lawful, you loose the NA. If you go Chaotic, you loose the monk wis bonus to AC. One or the other, never both.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-12-06, 12:21 AM
Howabout you give it, but the max armor gained from the having high Con would be = to 1/2 your barbarian class. 20th level pure barbarian could get MAX 10AC, and Dipping would be much less effective. This woudl be best if you removed some other class abilty too.

Alternatively, you could have the max be 1/4 barb level, and just give it for free. Not unbalencing.

Gralamin
2006-12-06, 02:09 AM
Howabout you give it, but the max armor gained from the having high Con would be = to 1/2 your barbarian class. 20th level pure barbarian could get MAX 10AC, and Dipping would be much less effective. This woudl be best if you removed some other class abilty too.

Alternatively, you could have the max be 1/4 barb level, and just give it for free. Not unbalencing.

This is actually pretty fine for the barbarian. While the bonus is Natural, they may get up to 13 armor with a +5 mithral fullplate, (and assuming an 18 in dex, which they could only use as a 16) and a barbarian using this armor could have a maximum ac of 26, plus deflection, dodge AND natural.
Deflection: 5 (ring of protection)
Dodge:1 (dodge feat)
Natural: 5 (Amulet of Natural Armor +5)
Total of: 37
With this (assuming an 18 in dex) they can have 24 ac, plus deflection, dodge and Armor.
Deflection: 5 (ring of protection)
Dodge: 1 (dodge feat)
Armor: 8 (Bracer of Armor + 8)
Dexterity: 6 (Gloves of Dexterity), 4 (Manual of Quickness of Action)
Total of: 47

so this variant can give an extra ten armor. I would recommend 1/4 level NA, and just take away the Armor prof.
that changes the second example to: 42
(I'm probably missing something but to sleepy to tell what it is)

NullAshton
2006-12-06, 08:03 AM
The solution is simple! Change it from a NATURAL ARMOR bonus, to an ARMOR bonus! Tada!

Tracersmith
2006-12-08, 06:02 PM
in the unearthed Arcana chapter 4 there is a variant rule about a "defense bonus"