PDA

View Full Version : Monk Variant: Stone Fist Dojo

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-05, 08:55 PM
This is a monk variant which is a much heavier hitting style than the one presented in the PhB:

Stone Fist Monk
HD: D8
BAB: 3/4 (much as I would like full BAB, I just can't justify it)
Saves: All good saves
Skills: 2+Int Mod. Loose all Knowledge skills and Perform, but gain Intimidate and Bluff
Weapon Proficencies: As per Monk

AC Bonus: Stone Fist monks loose all AC bonuses that monks normally get

Unarmed Combat/Flurry: Stone Fist monks keep all Unarmed Combat and Flurry of Blows as per normal.

Bonus Feats: Can be any of the listed feats, or any of the Fighter bonus feats he qualifies for.

Supernal Reflexes: At 1st level, a Stone Fist Monk gains Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat. Every time a monk would normally have gained a bonus to AC, a Stone Fist monk instead gains an additional attack of opportunity per round.

A Stone Fist Monk looses the Slow Fall, Still Mind, Diamond Soul, Quivering Palm, Tongue of Sun and Moon, Timeless Body, Empty Body, and Perfect Self class features.

Ki Strike: A Stone Fist Monk gains Ki Strike (Magic) and (Adamantine) as normal. Instead of Ki Strike (lawful), however, he gains Ki Strike (Silver).

Ki Focus: At 4th level, a Stone Fist monk gains a +1 enhancement bonus to his unarmed attacks, both to hit and to damage. This bonus increases by +1 every 4 levels after. (8th level it's +2, 12th level it's +3, etc...)

Ki Enhancement: At 6th level, a Stone Fist Monk gains an ability to enhance his unarmed attacks. He can add any +1 equivelant special ability that would normally be able to apply to an unarmed attack (a light bludgeoning weapon).

At every 4 levels beyond 6th (10th, 14th, 18th...), the value of the maximum enhancement increases (+2 at 10th, +3 at 14th...). A stone fist monk may choose any special ability or combination of special abilities so long as the total does not exceed his maximum enhancement bonus.

A stone fist monk may only change his special abilities by Meditating for 8 hours.

Questions? Comments?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-05, 08:59 PM
The whole Ki Enhancement thing kinda steps on the toes of the Kensai PrC from Complete Warrior.

Other than that, I like this.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-05, 09:02 PM
The whole Ki Enhancement thing kinda steps on the toes of the Kensai PrC from Complete Warrior.

Other than that, I like this.

Actually, I got it from Soulknife. In effect, this is kind of a cross between a Soulknife and a Monk, although using Ki rather than Psionics to empower his unarmed attacks.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-05, 09:09 PM
Very nice. Does he still get his increased movement? It seems logical.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-05, 09:19 PM
Very nice. Does he still get his increased movement? It seems logical.

Yes, he gets his increased movement, Evasion, and Improved Evasion. He also keeps Diamond Body, Wholeness of Body, and Purity of Body. Of course, he also keeps the Monk Unarmed Attacks and Flurry of Blows. He just trades nearly everything else for getting free enchanted fists.

icke
2006-12-06, 08:00 AM
Very flashy, I like it.

The only drawback I see is the rather slow change of the specific special abilities he may use. Why should the monk not be able to change the abilities every level, or even in, say, a N-hour meditative ceremony(N: insert Your favorite number here, I'd say 4)? One could limit the number of special enhancements she knows to two at level 6 plus one every two levels thereafter. Heck, one could even derive feats that add enhancements to your known list - whatever You want!

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-06, 04:11 PM
Very flashy, I like it.

The only drawback I see is the rather slow change of the specific special abilities he may use. Why should the monk not be able to change the abilities every level, or even in, say, a N-hour meditative ceremony(N: insert Your favorite number here, I'd say 4)? One could limit the number of special enhancements she knows to two at level 6 plus one every two levels thereafter. Heck, one could even derive feats that add enhancements to your known list - whatever You want!

I was rather attempting to reduce the cheeze factor of being able to switch out the enhancements for exactly the ones that are the most useful at that moment, but I suppose I could steal another page out of Soulknife and let them change it on an 8 hour meditative state.

I do rather like your idea of knowing an x number of enhancements, and then derive feats to add enchancements to your known list. Maybe I could use a formula like 1+ Wis Mod or something (MAD FTW!), then add another one every time the character gains an enhancement bonus.

I'll have to play around with it a bit...