PDA

View Full Version : The Infinity Blade

Legendcrafter
2006-12-05, 09:18 PM
Hey, guys, here's a weapon I designed. This weapon is used by Githyanki, and Githzerai, who, in my cosmology, inhabit the Plane of Time, as opposed to the Astral Plane.
Exotic Weapons | Cost | Dmg (M) | Critical | Weight | Type
Two-Handed Melee Weapon
Light Infinity Blade | 100 gp | 1d6/1d6 | 18-20/x2 | 6 lbs. | Sla.
Heavy Infinity Blade| 200 gp | 1d10/1d10 | 18-20/x2 | 20 lbs | Sla.

Light Infinity Blade: Infinity Blades are used by Githyanky and Githzerai, the only natives to the Plane of Time. An infinity blades is a single piece of metal forged into an ‘S’ shape; the curves are bladed and the straight part is the handle. The handles are usually leather-bound. Infinity blades get their name from the fact that if one of them is placed atop another, it looks like an infinity symbol (∞) or a figure 8.
Because of its curved blades, infinity blades are unusually keen, and can be used to make trip attempts. Like most two-handed weapons, one can fight with a light infinity blade as if fighting with two weapons, but you incur the same penalties as if you were fighting with a light weapon in one hand, and a one-handed weapon in the other.

Heavy Infinity Blade: Heavy infinity blades are much like light ones, but are larger, and have thicker blades. Because of the curved nature of the blades, one can make trip attacks with it, and are unusually keen. One can fight with a heavy infinity blade as if fighting with two weapons, but, because heavy infinity blades are so large, you incur the same penalties as if you were fighting with two one-handed weapons.

Please feel free to give comments and ask questions. Also, if any of you would like to illustrate this weapon, I would appreciate it. Thanks! :smallsmile:

P.S.: Please forgive the sucky tables :smallfrown:

Grey Knight
2006-12-05, 11:04 PM
P.S.: Please forgive the sucky tables :smallfrown:

Non-sucky version, and I added presumed Dmg (S) values too, just for farts and giggles.

{table=head]Exotic Weapon | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Critical | Weight | Type

Light Infinity Blades |
100 gp |
1d4/1d4 |
1d6/1d6 |
18-20/×2 |
6 lb | Slashing

Heavy Infinity Blades |
200 gp |
1d8/1d8 |
1d10/1d10 |
18-20/×2 |
20 lb | Slashing

[/table]

You're not kidding about "heavy", at 20 pounds; even the orcish double-axe is only 15.

You should probably clean up the descriptions a bit; they're confused on whether they're talking about a single blade or a pair in places.

icke
2006-12-06, 10:35 AM
If the heavy blade is so heavy, why not make strength 15+ a requirement? It surely needs one for balancing, or have You ever seen a d10/d10 double weapon?

Were-Sandwich
2006-12-06, 12:51 PM
Gythka, XPH. Its a d10/x2//d10/x2 though

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-06, 12:52 PM
hmmm, exactly how effective would an S shaped blade be? if the blade was oriented like S (opponent on left, attacker on right), opponent standing on the downside would be very hard to hit with an effective part of the blade (would require awkward positioning of the arms) but an opponent standing on the upside would be attacked normally. Also, isnt half of the weapon is facing the wrong way at all times? with double swords and axes they have blades on both sides, so there are no "dull" sides facing an opponent. i mean, its a good thought, but kinda impractical.

XtheYeti
2006-12-06, 01:09 PM
A picture would be nice, cuz i am confounded as to what this would look like.

fangthane
2006-12-06, 04:03 PM
Easy. Two extra-curved scimitars with their hilts tied together. Seems about as feasible to wield as the PHB picture of the spiked chain.

Legendcrafter
2006-12-06, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the replys, and thank you for the non-sucky table. I think it's a good idea to have a 15+ strength requirement as well. For those of you who have problems visualising this blade, I shall try again to describe it:

The Infinity blade is a single peice of metal. Each end of the peice of metal has been forged flat into a blade, and the middle part is cylindrical. When wielded in battle, the infinity blade is held by the middle part, which is usually leather bound. The back sides of each blade are strong, and are usually used for parrying blows.

Hope that helps

Grey Knight
2006-12-06, 06:04 PM
As I understand it, it looks almost - but not quite - entirely unlike this:

http://greyfire.org/picture_library/infblade.png

I haven't got the S-shape quite right, but you get the basic idea.

magic8BALL
2006-12-06, 06:29 PM
...except there is only one of them... and it is held in both hands... its a Two-Handed Weapon...

I don't like the Heavy blade... as I see it, the light infinity blade is (as far as numbers go) a scimitar equivilent to the double bladed sword (essentially two longswords put together). There is not a greatsword equivelent to the double-bladed sword, so why should there be a falchion equivelent to the infinity blade?

So I'd axe the Heavy blade, simply becouse it is WAY overpowered.

The other thing I have, and is not sooo overpowering, it that it can be used to make trip attempts... seems fair... but that is taken into consideration with the standard weapons: most trip weapons deal on average less damage, or cost more. Increasing the cost to like 120gp would make it more balanced.

Otherwise, I love the concept, the name, the background, the design. Well done.

Proven_Paradox
2006-12-09, 09:09 PM
As I understand it, it would look something like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Proven_Paradox/thing.jpg

I'm not going to say much about the stats on these weapons, but I will say that I think this would be a pretty impracticle in real life, but quite stylish in a fantasy setting. Anyone using both sides would probably be doing a lot of windmill-like twirling of the blades in combat, since that would mean that the bladed side would be towards the intended target on each strike.

Shacal
2006-12-12, 11:34 AM
You could always doctor up some kind of enchantment on the tips, similar to Blood Seeking. It would be a stylish weapon for some boss....reminds me of Illidan from Warcraft 3.

icke
2006-12-13, 10:06 AM
The great problem one could have with this blade: The blades bend in the wrong direction, so the cutting force isn't directed at the enemy, at least not without awkward movements(Came to my mind when Shacal mentioned Illidan, the way he swung his blades he shouldn't hae hit anything...).