PDA

View Full Version : Far-Realm Planetouched: Pharin [Old, Please Ignore]

Xuldarinar
2013-06-26, 11:08 PM
The Pharin have moved. If you want to find the latest on the pharin, please click Here (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291761)

inuyasha
2013-06-26, 11:15 PM
while this update is awesome, you, as the creator of the original project, are allowed to ressurect it

Xuldarinar
2013-06-26, 11:19 PM
Wow, it didn't take you long to show up at all, I'm impressed.

I figured it was fine if I resurrected the old one, but I wanted to update in a new thread. Besides, wouldn't want to even risk a brush with the rules.

Now, a question for you. Is there anything you think is missing from this? Any class level substitutions, information, so on and so forth.

inuyasha
2013-06-26, 11:27 PM
nope, I think its great, infact, you wouldnt mind me using it in a game sometime would you?

EDIT: also I think you shoukd add your template for making planetouched at the bottom

ANOTHER EDIT: Also what about height and weight

LOTRfan
2013-06-26, 11:29 PM
Just dropping in to say that I am quite fond of the race itself. I'm assuming you chose Blur as their spell-like ability to give them an unnatural, "reality-wrinkle" feel? I think it fits the concept very well.

I'll see if I can look through the substitution levels later (though honestly I'm not very fond of any of the classes that crawled their way out of Complete Psionic).

inuyasha
2013-06-26, 11:39 PM
I'll see if I can look through the substitution levels later (though honestly I'm not very fond of any of the classes that crawled their way out of Complete Psionic).
Im not a fan of psionics in general, I think it could make a good alternate magic system, but its not psionics. Psionics is that thing in first edition DnD that hardly anyone ever got, but when you got it you got to laugh and make peoples heads explode, see the movie akira for more details

Xuldarinar
2013-06-26, 11:45 PM
nope, I think its great, infact, you wouldnt mind me using it in a game sometime would you?

EDIT: also I think you shoukd add your template for making planetouched at the bottom

ANOTHER EDIT: Also what about height and weight

Would I mind? I put this out here for a reason. Im honored when people use my content.

Done, and done.

Just dropping in to say that I am quite fond of the race itself. I'm assuming you chose Blur as their spell-like ability to give them an unnatural, "reality-wrinkle" feel? I think it fits the concept very well.

Thank you. My choice of blur, actually was based on how I developed the race. You see. I compared the half-fiend to the tiefling, then tried to do an equivalent for the half-farspawn. Im putting the formula I used initially in the "Original Post". But I do agree it suits it quite well.

Thank you.

edit;

Im not a fan of psionics in general, I think it could make a good alternate magic system, but its not psionics. Psionics is that thing in first edition DnD that hardly anyone ever got, but when you got it you got to laugh and make peoples heads explode, see the movie akira for more details

Im not a huge fan of psionics either but they can have their appeal from time to time. As for heads exploding, I think of the 2010 film: Rubber. Its a comedy about a tire that comes to life and starts going around killing people with its psychic powers, making people's heads explode.

inuyasha
2013-06-27, 12:07 AM
xuldarinar you have given me an amazing idea :D!

Im going to make half templates for a bunch of outsiders and then make planetouched out of those templates :O! thank you xuldarinar, and your welcome to help if you want

Xuldarinar
2013-06-27, 12:17 AM
xuldarinar you have given me an amazing idea :D!

Im going to make half templates for a bunch of outsiders and then make planetouched out of those templates :O! thank you xuldarinar, and your welcome to help if you want

I think thats a great idea, and I will consider lending a hand on that. :)

Xuldarinar
2013-06-27, 01:25 PM
Alright everyone. I've got a question for you.

I intend on doing (4) more Pharin substitution level sets, bringing to a total of 7. Im going to leave the classes, however, to you. The (4) classes that get the most call, or even the first (4) classes listed, will get the substitutions. If you have ideas for what to give them in their substitution levels for a particular class, then by all means bring it up. Keep in mind their origins and their theme. So, the bottom line is, what classes would you like to be added to their substitution levels?

Note: They do not necessarily have to be base classes.

Update: Added Ardent.

Xuldarinar
2013-06-28, 07:26 PM
Section added: The Mawdark Spiral.

A look into the main city, and birthplace, of the pharin.

inuyasha
2013-06-29, 10:16 AM
hmm, what about RSL's for barbarian...sorcerer...artificer?...and paladin!

Xuldarinar
2013-06-29, 10:20 AM
hmm, what about RSL's for barbarian...sorcerer...artificer?...and paladin!

I'll look into those. I can see arguments for all of them. Though RSLs for paladin, I feel the flavor should be dramatically changed, something to reflect the pharin's attitudes.

Any ideas for directions for these?
I will get started on the RLS for these soon.

The Tygre
2013-06-30, 12:27 AM
This? We need more homebrew like this.

Xuldarinar
2013-06-30, 05:58 PM
This? We need more homebrew like this.

Im glad you feel that way. Still, it needs some work. There are races, official and otherwise, with more content on them. Though I doubt I'm going to be getting to the point of Drow of the Underdark, there is still more to do. I'm trying to figure out if there needs to be any more substitution level sets, how to approach the requested paladin and barbarian RSLs, if things so far are balanced, and what other content to add regarding the pharin.
Possible things to add: Unique spells/powers, racial PrC(s), racial feats, magic/psionic items, enchantments.

Xuldarinar
2013-07-01, 08:05 PM
Substitution Levels Complete (Ardent, Artificer, Barbarian, Incarnate, Paladin, Shadowcaster, and Sorcerer). If anyone has any suggestions for more, however, more will be added. My initial goal was 8, but Im fine with at least 7.

I've added racial traits for Pathfinder, 4e, and Next (will be updating as appropriate). If someone wants an older edition version, they need only send me a message saying so and which edition. I'll need to get my hands on the statistics of a standard race and the tiefling (or any planetouched) of that edition to do the conversion justice.

If anyone has any any suggestions, questions, ideas, fixes, so on and so forth, they need only say so. I've even added a feat section just in case they come up.

vasharanpaladin
2013-07-01, 09:27 PM
Pharin: D&D 4e Stats

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5'6" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 140-123 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Insight
Unsettling Presence: You gain a +1 racial bonus to armor class against foes within 2 squares.
Foulborn Heritage: You gain Foulborn Heritage as a bonus feat, making their origin aberrant and giving them the unbalanced mind power.
Blur: You can use Blur as an encounter power.

Blur, Pharin Racial Power
Encounter
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: You can slightly remove yourself from reality. Until the beginning of your next turn, opponents must roll twice to determine if they hit you. They must take the lower result.

Unbalanced Mind, Feat Power
Encounter + Psionic, Psychic
Immediate Reaction, Personal
Trigger: You take damage from an attack
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, any creature that enters a square adjacent to you or ends its turn there takes 5 psychic damage.

As I'm probably the only one who cares enough about 4e to offer critique on this, I'll take a crack at it.

Ability Scores: Races in 4e, except for humans, now have one fixed ability score bonus and one that the player can choose. Dwarfs, for example, get +2 Con and your choice of +2 Str or +2 Wis. If you want to keep the psionic focus here, psions rely on Int (naturally) and ardents want Cha. If you make it +Con and +Wis or +Cha it becomes a perfect battlemind race.

Unsettling Presence: Bad. Conditional or not, no race gets an AC bonus without burning feats or the PP on it. Giving racial bonuses to defenses in general is also lazy design, and only really accepted for races who get abilities that affect the same NAD, which doesn't apply much anymore.

Foulborn Heritage: Also bad. Right off the bat, you're locking them out of not one, but all bloodline feats. Please note that a deva can, in fact, choose to take Deva Heritage, as can a tiefling. If you want them to have the aberrant origin, just give them the aberrant origin. It's that simple.

Blur: This looks fine, actually. Sort of a voidsoul with less verbiage muckery going on, really. :smalltongue:

So, suggestions. Unsettling Presence should affect Intimidate somehow, I think. The pharin doesn't take penalties for not speaking a language the target understands, his allies gain a small bonus to Intimidate just for hanging around with him (like the half-elf's Group Diplomacy, but for Intimidate!), so forth; if you can look at Cthulhu Tech (or a certain fanfic, Aeon Entelechy Evangelion (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5834947/1/Aeon_Entelechy_Evangelion), think sidoci or, especially, Creepy!Rei. AC bonus just needs to go.

Foulborn Heritage should be dropped and replaced with Aberrant Origin, full stop. As a minor benefit, might I suggest providing a wild talent (from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting)?

Xuldarinar
2013-07-01, 09:55 PM
As I'm probably the only one who cares enough about 4e to offer critique on this, I'll take a crack at it.

Ability Scores: Races in 4e, except for humans, now have one fixed ability score bonus and one that the player can choose. Dwarfs, for example, get +2 Con and your choice of +2 Str or +2 Wis. If you want to keep the psionic focus here, psions rely on Int (naturally) and ardents want Cha. If you make it +Con and +Wis or +Cha it becomes a perfect battlemind race.

Unsettling Presence: Bad. Conditional or not, no race gets an AC bonus without burning feats or the PP on it. Giving racial bonuses to defenses in general is also lazy design, and only really accepted for races who get abilities that affect the same NAD, which doesn't apply much anymore.

Foulborn Heritage: Also bad. Right off the bat, you're locking them out of not one, but all bloodline feats. Please note that a deva can, in fact, choose to take Deva Heritage, as can a tiefling. If you want them to have the aberrant origin, just give them the aberrant origin. It's that simple.

Blur: This looks fine, actually. Sort of a voidsoul with less verbiage muckery going on, really. :smalltongue:

So, suggestions. Unsettling Presence should affect Intimidate somehow, I think. The pharin doesn't take penalties for not speaking a language the target understands, his allies gain a small bonus to Intimidate just for hanging around with him (like the half-elf's Group Diplomacy, but for Intimidate!), so forth; if you can look at Cthulhu Tech (or a certain fanfic, Aeon Entelechy Evangelion (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5834947/1/Aeon_Entelechy_Evangelion), think sidoci or, especially, Creepy!Rei. AC bonus just needs to go.

Foulborn Heritage should be dropped and replaced with Aberrant Origin, full stop. As a minor benefit, might I suggest providing a wild talent (from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting)?

Thank you. While 4e has never been my favorite edition, I thought I should at least provide the opportunity for people to use my race in games of that edition too. I've made the advised changes, and appreciate your input. The reason for the foulborn heritage aspect was to further reflect their heritage. I understand it was a poor choice, though the Impure Scion looks like a fitting Path for them. On the other hand, I could simply toss in a note that they can qualify without use of the feat. Having aberrant origin means they cannot take Foulborn Heritage, the prerequisite feat, and thus cannot enter it normally.

Xuldarinar
2013-07-02, 12:17 AM
Introducing: Prestige Substitution Levels.

Yes, you read that correctly. If you have any prestige classes that you feel should get the Substitution level treatment for the pharin, then by all means say so. I've already given the treatment to the blackguard class. If you have any ideas for your suggestion, then list them as well.

Im still taking suggestions for the other sections as well.

inuyasha
2013-07-02, 02:31 AM
Alienist!
Assassin!
And Ur-priest!

Xuldarinar
2013-07-02, 09:18 AM
Alienist!
Assassin!
And Ur-priest!

Done, Done, and Done. Thank you, it was interesting working out substitution levels for these.

Arcanist
2013-07-02, 09:41 AM
Done, Done, and Done. Thank you, it was interesting working out substitution levels for these.

Oh, I am all kinds of excited to see what you can do with the Alienist :smallamused:

Xuldarinar
2013-07-02, 10:12 AM
Oh, I am all kinds of excited to see what you can do with the Alienist :smallamused:

Well, the alienist I honestly had some trouble with deciding what to do with. What I settled on was swapping out Alien blessing, Mad certainty, and Insane certainty with bonus feats. Specifically aberrant bonus feats. This would transform them but grant flexibility in how they change, along with granting access to the aberrant feats (aberration blood normally requires one be a humanoid). Alien transcendence, I simply made a bit more useful, drawing traits from the half-farspawn. I don't feel I did the best job with it but I hope it is sufficient. The flavor already suits them pretty well though.

Arcanist
2013-07-02, 10:21 AM
Omg just read the Ur-Priest... True Necromancer here I come! :smallamused:

Xuldarinar
2013-07-02, 10:54 AM
Omg just read the Ur-Priest... True Necromancer here I come! :smallamused:

Yes, I've actually made true necromancer more viable with that, didn't I?

Race: Pharin
Dread Necromancer 9/Ur-Priest 2/True Necromancer 9
or
Death Master 9/Ur-Priest 2/True Necromancer 9

Lost tradition (Dread Necromancer, Wisdom) or Lost tradition (Death Master, Wisdom) would be invaluable in reducing mad. Practiced spellcaster on your arcane spellcasting class would bring up caster level to full. Your necromancy spells, spell-like abilities, and rebuke undead are treated as 3 levels higher. So… you rebuke undead as a 23rd level cleric, and your necromancy spells (arcane and divine) are used at a caster level of 23.

Death Master is prepared casting, but will get you 9th level spells. Dread necromancer would fall 1 level short of 9th level spells but is spontaneous so you don't need to spend 2 hours in the morning preparing your spells, only 1 hour.

Just to Browse
2013-07-02, 11:51 AM
Once again expressing my appreciation for the idea and your extensive work. I also request a binder substitution that replaces levels around when you can get access to Zceryll and a true xenotheurgist substitution since this really fits that flavor.

Arcanist
2013-07-02, 12:05 PM
Once again expressing my appreciation for the idea and your extensive work. I also request a binder substitution that replaces levels around when you can get access to Zceryll and a true xenotheurgist substitution since this really fits that flavor.

Oh this is just begging for an Impure Prince racial sub :smallwink:

Xuldarinar
2013-07-02, 12:31 PM

I've made substitution levels for the binder, and will read up on the true xenotheurgist before I make level substitutions. Need to be familiar with it before I make changes to it. I do agree though that it works well in terms of flavor.

Edit: if you or anyone else have suggestions for how to approach substitution levels for the True Xenotheurgist, then by all means say so.

Edit (2): Done.

Oh this is just begging for an Impure Prince racial sub :smallwink:

That, I will get to work on.

Edit (3): Done.

Xuldarinar
2013-07-07, 04:54 PM
I was hoping to have more ideas at this point to further expand upon the pharin, but…. If anyone has any suggestions, requests, what ever.. they are more than welcome to say so.

I was thinking of substitution levels for the following; Bone Knight, Pyrokineticist, Shadowbane Inquisitor, and Silver Pyromancer. Unfortunately, Im not certain how to approach them in this matter, if at all.

Also, Racial Feats. Just one or two that fit thematically would be greatly appreciated, I'm unfortunately lost in the matter.