PDA

View Full Version : Varient Spells

Ganimeide Anamon
2006-12-06, 04:53 PM
Reading a recent post, I remembered a time in my campaign world in which I included a discount spell merchant, who's merchandise consisted of spells such as "Magic Thistle" and "Bigby's Can of Beans". I must admit that "Melf's Massive Mirror" turned out to be pretty cool. I'll include that spell description below. But what I was getting at is that does any one have any variant spells that aren't necessarily harmful, but can used be ingenious players to wreak havoc?

"Magic Thistle"
Lvl 1
Evocation
Range: Sight
Caster launches an enchanted thistle bush at target. Target must save vs. reflex or be stunned, and lose 1 action.

"Bigby's Can of Beans"
Lvl 4
Conjuration
Range: 30ft
Caster summons a forth a large can (5'X1.5') of ranch style beans. However, the can acts in accordance to the spell "Bigby's interposing hand". The can is AC 7, and has 30hp with damage reduction 2/+1.

"Melf's Massive Mirror"
Lvl 2
Conjuration/Divination
Range: 30ft +1/level
Caster summons forth a large (15'X4') silvered glass mirror. It will orient itself in any direction that the caster chooses.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-06, 06:04 PM
"Bigby's Can of Beans"
Lvl 4
Conjuration
Range: 30ft
Caster summons a forth a large can (5'X1.5') of ranch style beans. However, the can acts in accordance to the spell "Bigby's interposing hand". The can is AC 7, and has 30hp with damage reduction 2/+1.

AC 7? so it takes a -3 on your roll to hit? do you mean maybe AC 13, which is the 3.x ed version of the AD&D AC 7?

Ganimeide Anamon
2006-12-06, 06:13 PM
AC 7, as in it requires only a roll of 7 on a d20 to hit.

magic8BALL
2006-12-06, 08:18 PM
what, the Medium sized can of baked beans has a Dex Score of 4?
AC = 7 = 10 -3
Base^ ^DEX

...why would it be hard to hit a can of baked beans thats 5 foot tall anyway?

...for a lvl 4 sor/wiz spell, your probly better of caster greater invis. anyway...

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-06, 08:30 PM
why does it have any dex at all? its a friggin can of beans. maybe it just has some NA due to the fact that its made of tin. who knows?

Ganimeide Anamon
2006-12-06, 09:58 PM
Okay, I think we've strayed from the point...but anywho. The can can *chuckle* have whatever AC the DM decides. I was citing an example. If you WANT an explanation, it is a magic can of beans mind you.

So, going back to my original question:
Does anyone have any variant spells our creative uses of existing ones, in which, although they may not cause direct damage or any substantial effect, an intuitive party can use to deadly effect?

magic8BALL
2006-12-07, 12:25 AM
polymorph any object.

polymorph the giant door who the fighter cannot bash and the rouge cannot pick into a handy little leather bag. You gat past the door, and you may even sell the bag at 100% profit.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-07, 10:17 AM
check out Elsiron's drunken stupor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1651868#post1651868). originally it was "target: self".

Ganimeide Anamon
2006-12-13, 02:43 AM
Well, I'm glad that this thread died. Bah!

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 10:11 AM
check out Elsiron's drunken stupor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1651868#post1651868). originally it was "target: self".

That reminds me of a spell I wanted to make.

Create Alcohol (as Create Water, but a type of alcohol as chosen by the caster)

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-13, 10:28 AM
query: since create food and water doesnt have any combat restrictions such as SR or saves, could it be used to create food or water inside a creature's vital organs, thus killing it? like summon a dozen muffins in the bbeg's brain? if so, then that spell is broken, but would be a really funny use.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 12:56 PM
I think someone on these forums has a note in their signature that discusses that very point. "That spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't summon them inside your opponent's brain." Or words to that effect.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-13, 01:01 PM
i know, thats where i got it. but thats just dm interpreation. i checked the spell description, it dosent say you cant do that. make a perfectly useless spell (for the most part, most dms dont make their players worry about rations) fun and, honestly, broken.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 01:09 PM
Rule Zero doesn't just exist for "DM Fiat"; it's also to deal with the fact that the other Rules don't cater for every possible eventuality, so sometimes you need a real human being to apply "common sense" to figure out what is meant. It seems pretty obvious - at least to me - that create food and water is meant to provide sustenance, not to attack, and the magic it uses might well be incapable of creating things inside a creature (otherwise you could summon it right into your stomach and save time, right? :smalltongue)

Some DMs do deal with rations and the like. Plus, there can be other uses; get a bunch of low-level clerics together and start up a little restaurant, perhaps? :smallbiggrin:

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-13, 01:16 PM
i know, i just want to surprise my party/dm by memorizing several copies of it (we dont use food). then try and use it in combat. i like to screw with people's heads.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-13, 01:36 PM
I would cite the precedent of create water, which does explicitly state that the water created cannot appear inside another creature.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 01:42 PM
There are various fruits that can be digested by animals but are poisonous to humans. Perhaps you could create some of those and shove them down their throats.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 03:58 PM
There are various fruits that can be digested by animals but are poisonous to humans. Perhaps you could create some of those and shove them down their throats.

If the GM doesn't let you get away with that, you could always try create food and then poison it (using Quicken Spell to get both off quickly), then offer your target a nice juicy apple. :smallsmile: Mind you, poison has a target of "living creature touched", so that'll still require you to keep the GM in a good favourable mood.

EDIT: whoever heard of a GM in a good mood while the PCs are still alive?

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 04:00 PM
If the GM doesn't let you get away with that, you could always try create food and then poison it (using Quicken Spell to get both off quickly), then offer your target a nice juicy apple. :smallsmile: Mind you, poison has a target of "living creature touched", so that'll still require you to keep the GM in a good favourable mood.

EDIT: whoever heard of a GM in a good mood while the PCs are still alive?

I don't know, but that does sound creative enough that if I were the DM, I'd allow it. Though not in the middle of combat, I'd allow it for a more subtle kill.

Lawful Evil Cleric/Assassin anyone? :smallbiggrin: