PDA

View Full Version : Original System High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

A Rainy Knight
2013-06-29, 04:28 PM
High School Harem Comedy

There’s a new transfer student in class! He’s a handsome and well-meaning young man, but a bit inexperienced when it comes to love. Unfortunately for his studies, from the very first day of classes, he finds himself positively surrounded by gorgeous young women, each interested in making him hers and hers alone! His school life is about to get a lot noisier, funnier, and bouncier in the middle of this showdown between girlish lovers…

High School Harem Comedy is a rules-light game system aimed at facilitating a fun storytelling and roleplaying experience in the vein of harem anime. The Game Master (GM) takes on the role of a hapless harem protagonist while the players take on the roles of his prospective lovers, trying to befriend, impress, and arouse the protagonist with their unique charms.

An Overview of Gameplay
A game is divided into episodes. Each episode is a self-contained adventure in which the protagonist and the girls have some kind of interesting experience in their high school life, whether it be a regular day of classes, afterschool club activities, a gift-giving holiday, or a trip to the beach or hot springs on summer vacation.

Each episode consists of the GM confronting the players with a series of scenes which present opportunities for the girls to win Victory Points (VP) via the four rolls: Allure, Conflict, Luck, and Skill. A scene might present multiple rolls for the girls to choose between – for instance, during their trip to the beach, the girls might be able to pick between using Allure to get the protagonist to rub lotion on their back, using Conflict to beat down those beach bullies eyeing the protagonist, using Luck to cause a wardrobe malfunction in front of the protagonist, or using Skill to impress the protagonist with incredible watermelon-splitting ability. These scenes might involve rolling against a challenge of fixed difficulty or using opposed rolls in a competition between the girls. Success in these scenes awards either varying amounts of VP or bonuses such as modifiers to rolls in upcoming scenes and access to scenes with more VP at stake, and the girl with the highest VP at the end of the episode is declared the “winner” of the episode. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker challenge can be held or victory can be awarded to multiple girls.

The length of the campaign can be decided in a variety of ways. The GM can define the winner as the girl with the greatest number of victories after a set number of episodes or the first girl to reach a certain number of victories, or the game can simply be played out until the players have had their fun, and the series ends with the classic “harem ending.”

Getting Started - A Player's Guide
Just a few easy steps, and you’ll be off pursuing your beloved!

1. Choose two archetypes from the list and get the GM's approval.
2. Choose a strength and weakness. Your choices are Allure, Conflict, Luck, and Skill.
3. Choose a number of advantages set by the GM (a safe default is 6). Your choices are the ones listed under your archetypes and the ones listed under “Universal Advantages." Although not required, it's recommended that you choose advantages applicable to a variety of situations instead of specializing in a single roll type.
4. Come up with all the other details of your girl. You should be consistent with the archetypes and advantages you’ve chosen, but you have a lot of leeway to come up with a name, backstory, appearance, personality quirks, and anything else.

Now, you can play an episode.

1. When the GM confronts you with a scene, decide which choice to take (if there’s an option) and decide if you want to apply any of your advantages to the roll.
2. Make your roll with a d6 (or have the GM roll for everyone).
3. Wait for the GM to announce the basics of how the scene plays out based on the results. Tally up any VP that you were awarded.
4. Roleplay the scene. Be creative! Flesh out the details in a way that agrees with the advantages that were applied and the results of the rolls. Be a little saucy! This is a harem comedy, so accidental gropes and pantyshots are par for the course. But remember that it's about being teasing, awkward, and flirtatious, not explicit.
5. Repeat from step 1 until the episode has ended. The girl with the most VP at the end of the episode has won!

Winning isn’t everything! Although this game is built around a PvP framework and a winner is declared at the end of each episode, it’s not meant to be a terribly deep strategic experience. The real goal is to have fun and tell a fanservicey harem comedy story, so don’t worry too much about losing the episode if you had a good time. Additionally, many of the rules and advantages are intentionally vague and loose to assist creative, flexible storytelling, so don’t take advantage of this just to get a bigger modifier on your roll if it doesn’t make much sense in the story.

Getting Started - A GM's Guide
As the GM, your main job aside from roleplaying the protagonist is to come up with the fluff and the mechanics of the scenes that make up the game. The basic elements of roll types, unopposed rolls, and opposed rolls can be put together in a variety of ways to form the skeleton of a scene, and this generic template can be applied to all sorts of specific situations. Here are a few generic templates to get you started:

One unopposed roll: Set a difficulty number, and award VP to any girl who manages to roll that number or higher. You might restrict which roll types are allowed.

Multiple unopposed rolls: Set difficulty numbers to a few options which the girls have the chance to choose between. You might award more VP for more difficult rolls, or you might restrict the roll types allowed for each choice.

One opposed roll: All the girls make a roll, and whoever gets the highest result wins VP. You might award VP to everyone who ties for first, or you might break ties with another roll. You might award VP to the highest two or three rolls, or you might award lesser VP rewards to runners-up. Again, you might also restrict which roll types are allowed.

Multiple opposed rolls: The girls select one of multiple options and make a roll. The highest roller in each option wins VP. All the options with a regular opposed roll still apply here, and you might restrict roll types or change VP rewards between different options.

Opposed and unopposed rolls: The girls select one of multiple options. Some options play out like unopposed roll scenes, and others play out like opposed roll scenes.

Preparation scenes: Instead of VP, the rewards that you give for victory are bonuses to rolls in one or more of the next scenes in the episode.

Qualifying scenes: Instead of VP, the reward that you give for victory is the right to choose a more lucrative option in the next scene, or the right to participate in the next scene at all.
The Four Rolls

A game of High School Harem Comedy consists of a series of scenes in which the players make rolls in order to win VP or bonuses, and there are four categories of rolls that they can make: Allure, Conflict, Luck, and Skill.

All rolls in this game are made with a d6. The abbreviation “D#” will be used to signify “Difficulty #,” so “D6” refers to a Difficulty 6 challenge, not the die.

Every girl is strong at one of the rolls and weak at one of the others. You gain +1 on all rolls using your strong roll and take -1 on all rolls using your weak roll.

Rolls can be opposed or unopposed. In an opposed roll, all girls involved make their rolls and the highest roll succeeds. Ties can be broken with another roll, or anyone who ties for the highest could get a success. In an unopposed roll, one or more girls make a roll against a difficulty set by the GM, with any roll greater than or equal to that difficulty yielding a success.

Allure
Allure rolls represent your attempts to charm, persuade, or win over others with your personality and looks. Whether it’s flashing a winning smile first thing in the morning, looking great in your daring new swimsuit, or getting the protagonist to take your side with the help of your puppy dog eyes, Allure is the key to most positive social interactions.

Conflict
Conflict rolls represent your attempts to intimidate and defeat others with craftiness, ruthlessness, and violence. Conflict governs most negative social interactions, such as perfecting your terrifying death glare, beating bullies into submission, or having just the right threat to whisper into your competitor’s ear.

Luck
Luck rolls represent the coincidences and strokes of fortune both good and bad that end up putting you in intimate situations with the protagonist. Tripping chest first onto your lover, getting walked in on while changing, and being targeted by bullies that send the protagonist running to your aid are all the kinds of twists of fate governed by Luck.

Skill
Skill rolls represent your attempts to succeed at academics, sports, art, cuisine, and other practiced non-romantic pursuits. Skill governs a diverse range of challenging activities not spanned by the other rolls, such as crafting the perfect boxed lunch, pulling off a graceful ballroom dance, or cleverly doing some research to aid in your romantic pursuits.
Archetypes and Advantages
Your girl's harem role is largely described by your choice of archetypes. The GM has veto power over archetype pairings that he finds incompatible, but you are otherwise free to choose any two archetypes for your girl. No two players may use the same pair of archetypes.

Once you’ve selected your girl’s archetypes, you define her skillset by selecting a number of advantages decided by the GM (a standard number would be 6). These can be drawn from the advantages listed under your archetypes and the Universal Advantages found further below. You may not take more than one advantage with the same mechanical effect.
Universal Advantages
These advantages can be chosen by any girl, regardless of archetype.

Good Cook: You can prepare appealing, tasty food. +2 on Skill rolls involving cooking.

Natural Swimmer: You've spent more time than most in the water, and you've got the skills and the beach body to show for it. +1 on Allure rolls while in swimwear, and +1 on Skill rolls involving swimming.

Outdoorswoman: You've got a passion for some combination of camping, hiking, and hunting. +2 on Skill rolls involving outdoorsy activities and survivalism.

Splash Magnet: You've got an unfortunate arrangement with fate to make your life a neverending series of suggestive spills and splashes. +2 on Luck rolls involving getting wet.

Stargazer: You know the night sky like the back of your hand, and you've written way too many poems and song lyrics about the Summer Triangle. +2 on Skill rolls involving astronomy, and +2 on Allure rolls under the night sky.

Sweet Tooth: You have a love for cute, feminine snacks and a highly questionable way of eating lollipops. +1 on Skill rolls involving making or buying sweets, and once per episode, +1 to an Allure roll while eating sweets.

Archetype List here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16866936&postcount=394)

Rule Variants here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16091934&postcount=322)

Jormengand
2013-06-29, 04:49 PM
This is absolutely hilarious. I'm not sure how many people will want to play a stereotypical anime girl, though...

AuraTwilight
2013-06-29, 05:30 PM
Mind if I change all the girls to boys?

And leave the protagonist a boy?

And otherwise play it as is?

Because I'm gonna. B) And it's gonna be great. Seriously, good work.

A Rainy Knight
2013-06-29, 07:12 PM
This is absolutely hilarious. I'm not sure how many people will want to play a stereotypical anime girl, though...

Thanks!

Hmm, I suppose that's a possibility. You could probably make some more diverse characters if you did a rule variant where you could draw advantages from multiple archetypes, but at the end of the day, this is a pretty stereotypically anime-styled game.

Now that I think about it, I might want to think of any other rule variants that might be fun...

Mind if I change all the girls to boys?

And leave the protagonist a boy?

And otherwise play it as is?

Because I'm gonna. B) And it's gonna be great. Seriously, good work.

Feel free! I'm hoping that it's a flexible enough system that reverse harems and so forth should be feasible with it.

Oh, and let me watch that game, if it's possible. :smallbiggrin:

Amechra
2013-06-29, 08:05 PM
I think it would be hilarious to play this as a dungeon crawl.

Rescuing Protagonist-Kun, who got lost down there.

Watch out for traps, and try to work together while you are backstabbing each-other.

Elricaltovilla
2013-06-29, 08:24 PM
Always playing a yandere. Always.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-29, 08:33 PM
Oh, and let me watch that game, if it's possible.

Doable! My group meets on Roll20, we can do this.

Watch out for traps, and try to work together while you are backstabbing each-other.

...oh my god.

YESSS.

A Rainy Knight
2013-06-29, 08:48 PM

Hmm... This might work as an expansion or something. I'm having trouble thinking how a lot of the Allure-related advantages would work in this kind of game.

I had fun writing that class. :smallbiggrin:

Doable! My group meets on Roll20, we can do this.

Wonderful!

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-29, 08:59 PM
Reminds me of a more specialized version of Maid.

I should play more Maid.

Admiral Squish
2013-06-29, 09:13 PM
...Okay, this is interesting. The rules seem nice and simple, and the classes provide some entertaining options for players. I think the way the system's set up would make it work very nicely for pbp games, too.

I would definitely like to see a gender-flipped version for reverse harems, mostly because I think it would be really awkward to see my (mostly male) gaming group pretend to flounce. The only thing that'd be different is the archetypes, really. Some of them would probably work in the broad strokes, but I think there would need to be a few changes.

Amechra
2013-06-29, 09:19 PM
Allure: "Oh Mr. Monster, could you please let us past? Our friend got lost down here, and..."
Conflict: Beating up monsters.
Luck: Not dying.
Skill: Searching for traps, and so on and so forth.

A Rainy Knight
2013-06-29, 09:29 PM
I would definitely like to see a gender-flipped version for reverse harems, mostly because I think it would be really awkward to see my (mostly male) gaming group pretend to flounce. The only thing that'd be different is the archetypes, really. Some of them would probably work in the broad strokes, but I think there would need to be a few changes.

Hmm... I think that this is what I'll work on next. Ouran High School Host Club is an old favorite of mine, so I've got a good reference to work from.

Once I've worked out which ones to keep and which ones to add, I'll make an update here.

Allure: "Oh Mr. Monster, could you please let us past? Our friend got lost down here, and..."
Conflict: Beating up monsters.
Luck: Not dying.
Skill: Searching for traps, and so on and so forth.

Not a bad idea at all! In that case, I guess it does work reasonably well as is.

Jormengand
2013-06-30, 06:25 AM
I gave this a spin with some friends, and ended up playing as a "PNPC" (yes, it stands for "player non player character." Basically fulfilling an NPC roll, but played by someone) who was a boy. Weak allure and strong conflict. He was actually quite a lot of fun to play, and my objective was "keep the girls away from my best friend for as long as possible." I ended up using the Meganekko archetype (which was pretty cool, because I obviously never gained VPs so I got bonuses every scene with quiet patience). The Ojou character was a bit difficult to deal with ("What's that? You're a boy other than the protagonist?") but hey, it was cool. It worked.

Some of the things I did...

"Kyon rolls conflict to lock Asuna out of the building."
"Kyon rolls skill to set off the fire alarm without anyone noticing."
"While the girls are fighting over who gets to sit next to their new-found love in science, Kyon rolls skill to drop acid 'accidentally' on the chair next to him."
"Kyon rolls skill to explain to Yuna about the spare room."
"Kyon rolls conflict to lock Yuna in the spare room."

Oh yes. We had fun.

The dungeon crawl is one I have to try. It could be... interesting.

Bezzerker
2013-06-30, 10:07 AM
This system looks fun and simple. Personally though, I think you should of had a skill called "The Power of Moe COMPELS you!"

I have absolutely no idea what it would do, but it still should be in the game! :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, I think it might work better if you had two "archetypes" lists: One for type of character, another for type of personality. To use an example; the Childhood Friend Archetype could have a Tsundere personality, always hitting the Protagonist for perceived slights but genuinely caring for him, while the Ojou has a Yandere personality, using her obscene wealth to try and 'eliminate' the competition, and finally the Meganekko is a Cloud Cuckoo Lander (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CloudCuckooLander) who feels like the Protagonist is the only one who doesn't make fun of her for her strange ideas.

With two separate lists, you have the characters choose advantages from both Character and Personality, with the Universal advantages to fill things out.

Elricaltovilla
2013-06-30, 11:15 AM
I think ElementsOfOrder has a good idea. Splitting them into "Background" and "Personality" types gets you a broader range of girls, and just like Shuffle! taught us, there's no reason why your childhood friend can't be known as "boxcutter kaede"

Now I want to figure out how we can combine your game and my game to get some Mai-Hi Me or Zero no Tsukaima stuff going on up in here.

A Rainy Knight
2013-06-30, 11:21 AM
This system looks fun and simple. Personally though, I think you should of had a skill called "The Power of Moe COMPELS you!"

I have absolutely no idea what it would do, but it still should be in the game! :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, I think it might work better if you had two "archetypes" lists: One for type of character, another for type of personality. To use an example; the Childhood Friend Archetype could have a Tsundere personality, always hitting the Protagonist for perceived slights but genuinely caring for him, while the Ojou has a Yandere personality, using her obscene wealth to try and 'eliminate' the competition, and finally the Meganekko is a Cloud Cuckoo Lander (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CloudCuckooLander) who feels like the Protagonist is the only one who doesn't make fun of her for her strange ideas.

With two separate lists, you have the characters choose advantages from both Character and Personality, with the Universal advantages to fill things out.

This is a pretty good idea! I had been thinking that my system needed a little tweaking to deal with yandere childhood friends and tsundere ojous and so forth. I think I'll need to come up with some more backgrounds/personality types to keep a good variety of characters, but that will give me something to work towards.

Now I want to figure out how we can combine your game and my game to get some Mai-Hime or Zero no Tsukaima stuff going on up in here.

My idea was just to hold battles using your system which award nice sums of Victory Points in my system, or to perhaps use battles to replace some functions of Conflict and give Conflict advantages some meaning in the battles.

I gave this a spin with some friends, and ended up playing as a "PNPC" (yes, it stands for "player non player character." Basically fulfilling an NPC roll, but played by someone) who was a boy. Weak allure and strong conflict. He was actually quite a lot of fun to play, and my objective was "keep the girls away from my best friend for as long as possible." I ended up using the Meganekko archetype (which was pretty cool, because I obviously never gained VPs so I got bonuses every scene with quiet patience). The Ojou character was a bit difficult to deal with ("What's that? You're a boy other than the protagonist?") but hey, it was cool. It worked.

Glad you enjoyed! The system really wasn't designed with that kind of PNPC in mind, so you might want to houserule some stuff in to deal with those issues. For instance, the Ojou's advantage is really just meant to let her wring information out of nameless NPCs or round up henchmen.

Jormengand
2013-06-30, 01:05 PM
Glad you enjoyed! The system really wasn't designed with that kind of PNPC in mind, so you might want to houserule some stuff in to deal with those issues. For instance, the Ojou's advantage is really just meant to let her wring information out of nameless NPCs or round up henchmen.

Yeah, I did think it was a bit silly but the DM was all "no, we're doing this as written." Which was kind of silly, but there we go.

"Kyon hospitalises the DM."

Elricaltovilla
2013-06-30, 02:53 PM
My idea was just to hold battles using your system which award nice sums of Victory Points in my system, or to perhaps use battles to replace some functions of Conflict and give Conflict advantages some meaning in the battles.

That's probably the easiest way to do it, yeah. It'll take a bit of tweaking, but replacing Conflict seems like the best way to get both systems plenty of use.

Amechra
2013-06-30, 03:44 PM
You want me to give a try hacking them together?

It would be later this week, because I've got work tonight, but it shouldn't be that hard.

But you know what I was reminded of?

Mascot-Tan. (http://dsg.neko-machi.com/mascot-tan.html)

A Rainy Knight
2013-06-30, 03:51 PM
Sure, you can have a shot at it if you want. I probably won't have the revised personality/character type list finished until tomorrow, so take your time.

Elricaltovilla
2013-06-30, 08:57 PM
I just noticed A Rainy Knight, that you're missing one of the corners of the Dere triangle, the Kuudere (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kuudere). Examples being listed here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SugarAndIcePersonality).

Those are TVTropes links, you have been warned.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-01, 12:03 AM
Alright, I've finished the update. The following changes have been made:
-The existing archetypes were sorted into personalities and classes. When making a character, you now choose both a personality and a class.
-Four new personalities have been added: Kuudere, Shrinking Violet, Cuckoolander, and Pervert.
-Three new classes have been added: Sukeban, Iinchou, and Idol Singer.
-"Quiet Patience" was moved from the Meganekko to the Shrinking Violet.
-Several Universal Advantages were moved to the new personalities and classes.

Some of the new ones are a little short on advantages, and there are less Universal Advantages than before, but hopefully this should add a bit more variety to the characters.

Also, you should fear the yandere sukeban. :smallwink:

Durazno
2013-07-01, 12:33 AM
Okay, I have to get a group together for this. I have to play as a clumsy genki girl so that I can use "Hypercharged" to fail spectacularly at everything all at once.

It might be a pain to keep multiple character sheets, but I could also see this being layered on top of another tabletop game to help fill out the interactions between party members when they're not in a dank pit punching monsters (though its effects could spill over into the dungeon crawls, of course.) I've played in a few groups that have had a hard time thinking of what to do when the battlemat isn't out, and something like this could add a bit of wacky fun and encourage roleplaying.

This is a pretty good idea! I had been thinking that my system needed a little tweaking to deal with yandere childhood friends and tsundere ojous and so forth. I think I'll need to come up with some more backgrounds/personality types to keep a good variety of characters, but that will give me something to work towards.

I like the Personality/Class division you have going here, but you might also consider having an optional rule for a bit of hybridization. Something like, "If the GM is allowing six or more advantages, one (and only one) of them may be from a personality other than your character's main choice."

A character suddenly showing a surprising facet to their personality is a staple of the genre, after all, and isn't just limited to tsunderes. The shrinking violet could explode into fury when protagonist-kun is threatened, the genki guy could become quiet and determined when he realizes his relationship with protagonist-kun is on the line or the mellow kuudere could get so wrapped up in her reading that she seems like a different person when you catch her just after she puts down Conan the Conqueror.

You know, it might also be nice if there were incentives to become friends with the other characters, even if you can't see eye-to-eye over protagonist-kun.

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe that's best as a simple roleplaying thing. In the dungeon crawling example, I suppose your character would be depending on the other characters to fight alongside her, so there's some natural incentive to maintain her relationships with them.

Elricaltovilla
2013-07-01, 12:25 PM
The changes look really good. I'm gonna get the playtest for my system started later today, so you should check it out. Also, let me know when you get your own playtest going. I definitely want to watch.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-01, 04:55 PM
By the way, I see a strong need for a "tomboy" personality and a "mysterious foreigner" class.

((And maybe a young cute teacher, and the captain of the kendō team.))

Prime32
2013-07-01, 05:58 PM
By the way, I see a strong need for a "tomboy" personality and a "mysterious foreigner" class.I think you mean "bokukko" and "half-foreigner who's been studying abroad until now". :smalltongue: You could also throw in "miko" and/or "improbably young nun" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NunsAreMikos) who can give blessings, tell fortunes, and possibly fight evil spirits in their spare time.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-01, 06:02 PM
Half-foreigners are also acceptable! After all, anyone who has been away from Japan is bound to be weird.

Mutazoia
2013-07-01, 10:29 PM
I can see running a "Love Hina" style game, where the girls don't particularly care for the new guy at first but eventually all start falling for him....

Although a "To Love Ru (http://to-loveru.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters)" style game seems more fitting....even though you did forget the "Little Sister (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LittleSisterHeroine)" type (Mikan (http://to-loveru.wikia.com/wiki/Mikan_Yuuki))

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-02, 08:02 PM
I can see running a "Love Hina" style game, where the girls don't particularly care for the new guy at first but eventually all start falling for him....

We must have read completely different Love Hinas, since it was clear to me that Shinobu and Kitsune were pretty openly interested in Keitaro from the start, while Naru was just bad at hiding it.

Of course, Su's one and only love is Motoko, while Motoko is... well, Motoko.

Mutazoia
2013-07-02, 10:39 PM
We must have read completely different Love Hinas, since it was clear to me that Shinobu and Kitsune were pretty openly interested in Keitaro from the start, while Naru was just bad at hiding it.

Of course, Su's one and only love is Motoko, while Motoko is... well, Motoko.

At the start Kitsune was looking at Keitaro as a mark to buy her things, and Shinobu was just impressed that he was a Toudai student (or so they all thought). They didn't develop real feelings for him until much later.

Motoko was one excuse away from slicing him to ribbons.
Naru thought he was just a pervert and wanted him gone to the point of trying to scare him off with an overload of work.
Su will latch on to petty much anybody.
Kitsune just wanted some one to buy her stuff (she even tried to seduce Keitaro and then said he "attacked" her when Naru caught her at it.)
Shinobu starts out with a big brother complex (at best) for Keitaro.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-03, 12:01 PM
Small update time!

-Added new personality: "Half-Foreign"
-Added new classes: "Sensei-chan" and "Miko."

I'm a little dissatisfied with the advantage selection for "Half-Foreign" and some of the other newer personalities/classes, so I might go through and try to flesh them out a bit more, too. The bokukko personality is likely coming in the next update, perhaps along with a yamato nadeshiko personality.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-03, 12:02 PM
Finally, a game developer who listens to the players!

A thousand thanks, A Rainy Knight. You have been most gracious.

Durazno
2013-07-13, 03:10 PM
Any rules for character development? I mean, I wouldn't expect a D&D style leveling system or anything, but perhaps characters can change over the course of the game.

For instance, a character could rack up the yandere traits as his/her obsession with protagonist-kun grows.

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 08:37 AM
High School Harem Comedy

There’s a new transfer student in class! He’s a handsome and well-meaning young man, but a bit inexperienced when it comes to love. Unfortunately for his studies, from the very first day of classes, he finds himself positively surrounded by gorgeous young women, each interested in making him hers and hers alone! His school life is about to get a lot noisier, funnier, and bouncier in the middle of this showdown between girlish lovers…

High School Harem Comedy is a rules-light game system aimed at facilitating a fun storytelling and roleplaying experience in the vein of harem anime. The Game Master (GM) takes on the role of a hapless harem protagonist while the players take on the roles of his prospective lovers, trying to befriend, impress, and arouse the protagonist with their unique charms.

An Overview of Gameplay
[SPOILER]A game is divided into episodes. Each episode is a self-contained adventure in which the protagonist and the girls have some kind of interesting experience in their high school life, whether it be a regular day of classes, afterschool club activities, a gift-giving holiday, or a trip to the beach or hot springs on summer vacation.

Each episode consists of the GM confronting the players with a series of scenes which present opportunities for the girls to win Victory Points (VP) via the four rolls: Allure, Conflict, Luck, and Skill. A scene might present multiple roll for the girls to choose between – for instance, during their trip to the beach, the girls might be able to pick between using Allure to get the protagonist to rub lotion on their back, using Conflict to set the other girls adrift on the riptide, using Luck to cause a wardrobe malfunction in front of the protagonist, or using Skill to impress the protagonist with incredible watermelon-splitting ability. These scenes might involve rolling against a challenge of fixed difficulty or using opposed rolls in a competition between the girls. Success in these scenes awards either varying amounts of VP or bonuses such as modifiers to rolls in upcoming scenes and access to scenes with more VP at stake, and the girl with the highest VP at the end of the episode is declared the “winner” of the episode. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker challenge can be held or victory can be awarded to multiple girls.

Apparently you have never played "Teenagers From Outer Space." Too bad because you could have saved yourself a lot of work.

This is a perfect scenario for that game.

Debby

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-14, 09:44 AM
Sorry for the lack of activity. I probably won't have the time to do a good playtest of this soon, so I'm sort of letting this rest on the back burner. I could always pick it up later if I felt like it.

Any rules for character development? I mean, I wouldn't expect a D&D style leveling system or anything, but perhaps characters can change over the course of the game.

For instance, a character could rack up the yandere traits as his/her obsession with protagonist-kun grows.

I've considered it, but I don't have a good idea of how to implement it yet - probably either just picking up more advantages from your current character type, or also giving the option to branch out into other types.

Apparently you have never played "Teenagers From Outer Space." Too bad because you could have saved yourself a lot of work.

This is a perfect scenario for that game.

Debby

Hmm, I've heard of it but don't know anything about it.

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 12:08 PM
Here's the TFOS webpage: http://www.talsorian.com/talsorian/NEWWEBSITE/TeenerPage.html

Debby

Fri
2013-07-14, 12:42 PM

...Are you me? Are you... trying to vy Protagonist-kun's attention from me...?

*Holds knife.*

Elricaltovilla
2013-07-14, 07:56 PM
...Are you me? Are you... trying to vy Protagonist-kun's attention from me...?

*Holds knife.*

That's not a knife, THIS is a Knife (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ)

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-14, 07:58 PM
Still patiently waiting for the bokukko, by the way.

Durazno
2013-07-16, 12:06 AM
It crossed my mind that this is one game where a GM's Pet NPC would actually be hilarious and appropriate. Imagine it: a Childhood Best Friend or scheming Yandere who just slightly outclasses the player characters and serves as a constant obstacle and embuggerance for our cast. The "harem" might not see eye to eye, but all of them can agree this hated character shouldn't get Protagonist-kun and cooperate to keep him/her away.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-18, 08:15 AM
Still patiently waiting for the bokukko, by the way.

Done! Well, for the time being, at least. The advantages are a little vague for my liking, but it's there, at any rate.

It crossed my mind that this is one game where a GM's Pet NPC would actually be hilarious and appropriate. Imagine it: a Childhood Best Friend or scheming Yandere who just slightly outclasses the player characters and serves as a constant obstacle and embuggerance for our cast. The "harem" might not see eye to eye, but all of them can agree this hated character shouldn't get Protagonist-kun and cooperate to keep him/her away.

The general concept of a cooperative challenge is interesting. I'll think about how I could come up with a good way to encourage all the girls to work together at times within the overall competitive framework of the game.

Hawkflight
2013-07-18, 02:17 PM
This looks interesting, I would be interested in trying this.

I feel like there should be a class centered around loving animals. Maybe advantages would involve using her animal friends to help for various purposes.

Fri
2013-07-18, 11:53 PM
What I wait the most is the male equivalent of the classes, actually. I want to see what can you cook up for those. :smallbiggrin:

Some work as well as both male and female of course. Yandere always work both ways:smalltongue:

Komodo
2013-07-19, 01:19 AM
This idea does sound quite interesting.

I've watched a few harem animes, and as of yet, the only one I've liked has been Shuffle! The reason for that was in part because the series had likable characters and allowed protagonist-kin to act intelligently and with initiative occasionally, but most importantly because it allowed other things to happen besides just the romance, allowing things to stay fresh. I'd probably try to run a game like this in the same manner: with the group exploring fantastical and possibly dangerous things in between school scenes, allowing them to make discoveries about the world and solve problems (while still trying to stay attractive to Protagionist-kun, of course).

Reading through the recruitment thread you are planning to DM, I had an idea. You mentioned that the advantage selection was a little narrow, and I thought a character could be more fleshed out with one more category of advantages: race!

But Komodo, this is anime, not D&D! There aren’t orcs, or dwarves, or half-dragons. How could you possibly shove race into this, and how would you get advantages out of it?

I’m glad you asked! I took inspiration from the aforementioned Shuffle! And, just because I’m so nice, and because I have way too much free time, I wrote up a little concept list. These probably would only work in a setting with fantastical elements next to the mundane ones, but then again, those were what I appreciated most about Shuffle. So, without further ado, I hope these help!

Races
Human

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4746/ldzz.png “We’ve traveled through so many worlds, Protagionist-kun…but no matter where you end up, I hope we’re together.”

As a human, there’s nothing particularly special about you. You’re of normal strength, normal stature, and you probably haven’t practiced much magic…but then again, when so much weird stuff is happening, something familiar is comforting. After all, who understands a human better than another human? And who understands Protagionist-kun better than you?

Fantastic Exploration: When exploring a fantastical world, creature, or concept (firsthand, not just learning about it), you may add a +2 to Skill rolls when working with the Protagonist.

Back Off, Creature: Twice per episode, you may add +2 to Conflict rolls against inhuman opponents.

Mundane Target: The fantastical and magical universe just won’t seem to leave you alone. Add +2 to luck rolls involving you being targeted by supernatural elements.

Familiar Beauty: Supernatural creatures can’t compete with the beauty Protagionist-Kun grew up with. Ignore any negative modifiers to opposed Allure rolls against non-human opponents

God/Angel

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8645/srag.png“The lights of heaven are so beautiful. The only thing missing is you.”

While you may not be an omnipotent creator of worlds, and you may not wield a flaming sword, you do come from the celestial realms: a place of beauty, opalescence, peace, and wealth. You likely have experience with healing magics, and an aura of peace and tranquility surrounds you. Protagonist-kun cannot help but be attracted to you, but if his eyes wander, you can share.

Ethereal Beauty: Your aura naturally attracts everyone around you, including Protagonist-kun. You may add a +2 to an Allure roll, but the crowd you attract costs you -1 on your next two rolls

The World of the Gods is a Polygamist Society: Twice an episode, you can grant a +2 bonus to another character’s roll. If they receive Victory Points as a result, you also receive an equal number.

Healing Magic: Add +2 to any skill roll involving medicine.
Demon

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9559/wt3s.png “There’s no light where I come from…and certainly nobody like you, Protagionist-kun.”

What Protagonist-kun calls the Underworld, you call home. Your race tends to be cold and socially awkward around other races, but you do have a tencancy to know just the right word to say sometimes. Your race has a long-standing tradition of Dark Magic. Between the powerful history of your race and your own silver tongue, you’re certain you can attract the Protagionist.

Dark Magic: So many problems can be solved with energy bolts. Twice an episode, you may treat a failed Conflict roll as a success. However, as dark magic frightens the Protagonist, you take a -2 penalty on your next Allure check.

From a World of Shadow: You are sensitive to bright light. Twice an episode, you may add a +2 to Luck rolls to attract the Protagionist’s sympathies in well-lit areas. You always gain this bonus when exposed to light bright enough to bother non-demons.

Socially Awkward: As you shrink away from cultural misunderstanding, you attract the sympathies of others, especially Protagionist-kun. Twice an episode, you may add a +2 to an Allure roll after losing an opposed Conflict roll.
Monster Girl

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2387/i8oj.png “Would you please scratch behind my ears, Protagonist-kun? Oh…that’s nice…purrrrr…”

What’s Protagonist-kun’s favorite animal? The answer is “You.” Whether you have fluffy tails, scales, or feathers, your animalistic charms are sure to win his affections.

Let’s Cuddle: What does it mean when Protagonist-kun is sitting down? It means he wants you to rest your head on his lap. +1 on Allure rolls when the Protagonist is resting.

Natural Hunter: You know where Protagonist-kun’s been, you know when he’s alone, and you know the best way in there. Twice an episode, you may apply a +2 to Luck rolls to walk in on the protagonist, or get him to walk in on you.

Raised in the Woods: You didn’t grow up among people, and what many consider common knowledge is strange to you. However, you always bounce back from your failures. If you fail a Skill roll, you can take the margin of your failure and add it to your next roll, so long as it is not another Skill roll.
Android

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7450/3zk1.png“How may I service you, Protagonist-kun?”

You are programmed to serve your Master’s needs, and are equipped with the talents and equipment to accomplish any order. You are always present to serve, and quickly learn his exact preferences. It is inconceivable that your affections for him would not be reciprocated.

Efficiency: You are programmed to accomplish your tasks for you master’s maximum satisfaction. No more than twice an episode, succeeding at any three rolls in a row will earn you an extra two Victory Points.

She Tore Off My Arm!: You may detach a body part after a failed Conflict roll. This grants you a +2 to Luck Checks to attract sympathy, but a -2 to all other rolls until the limb is reattatched.

Programmed Knowledge: Add a +2 to Skill checks that involve pure knowledge or academics.

Durazno
2013-07-19, 02:51 AM
Two cents from the peanut gallery - those species are really neat, and they expand the genres that this game could represent handily. They're also easy to refluff to fit an even wider range of settings, like using the angel entry for an elf or alien of otherworldly beauty. I really like "Let's Cuddle" as an ability, and have known people who I now suspect are part fox.

I just have two thoughts:

Some of the abilities make assumptions about protagonist-kun. After all, what if s/he's a black magic otaku (demon's Dark Magic) or shuns the mundane world as boring (human's Familiar Beauty)? It's possible that some might need alternate penalties. (In part this plays off on your point about Shuffle!: If we want the protagonist to take initiative now and again, s/he probably shouldn't be a blank slate, and might be very different between games.)

The fluff of the android entry bothers me a little. I get that the fluff can change wildly between games and probably will, but if an android is going to participate in a romance, it might be better to place the baseline somewhere other than "was built and programmed to serve Protagonist-kun and has nothing else going on," you know?

Elricaltovilla
2013-07-19, 07:19 AM
I found another archetype you might want to consider adding. The "Yankee."
Or school thug, for those of you who don't know.

They didn't used to be popular for harems, but they've picked up a bit in the last couple years. Plus they'd be good for a reverse harem game.

Komodo
2013-07-19, 08:56 AM
@Elricaltovilla: I think that might be covered by the Sukeban class. I might be missing some of the particulars, but the concepts seem very similar.

@Durazno: thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean, particularly about the Android. I probably slanted that description a bit toward "robot maid" specifically, since that was the focus of the anime I had to watch to get the image. While "android servant who falls for master" is a perfectly legitimate concept, especially for the genre, it's by no means the only one available to androids. That one could stand a refluff.

As for the other two: I realize how those might be seen as assuming on the protagonist, but I did try to make them more universal. The idea about Dark Magic is that it's universally frightening, even to those familiar or fascinated by it (think of it like discovering your girlfriend has radioactivity powers: you might be fascinated and want to learn more, but you still wouldn't want to get too close). As for Familiar Beauty, that one could stand a rewrite. My goal was to show that, in the midst of the fantastic and exotic, the familiar can be a steady anchor.

I won't make any changes to my list until ARK has a chance to give feedback, but thanks again!

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-19, 09:29 AM
@Fri Mmm, I'm thinking about that. Some are pretty easy, like sukeban -> banchou or meganekko -> megane, but others I'll probably have to find some way to refluff the game mechanics, like the miko.

@Elricaltovilla A sukeban is essentially a female banchou (leader of a group of delinquents), so I think that covers the "delinquent" archetype.

@Komodo First of all, thanks for going to the trouble of coming up with those for me! I had thought about adding some sort of variant system on top of the existing game to accommodate supernatural harems, and I think that's a feasible way of doing it.

That said, I would probably change a few things about what you've come up with before I added it on to the system. My general philosophy is that the non-universal advantages should be on a generally equal power level and that there shouldn't be two advantages that do the same thing (of course, it's easy for me to remember what's already been done since I wrote all of them!). With that in mind, I'd alter the following advantages:

Human's Mundane Target seems strictly smaller in scope than Shrinking Violet's Vulnerable for the same bonus. It could be made stronger or broader, or Vulnerable could be toned down in a supernatural game.

Demon's Socially Awkward has limited uses per day and is otherwise the same as Half-Foreign's Colorful Cursing.

Android's Programmed Knowledge is very close to Meganekko's Honor Student.

At any rate, I think you have some pretty good ideas there. I'm a little occupied getting the upcoming game up and running at the moment, but I think these would be an excellent starting point to add a system like this to the game. Some additional supernatural types I might suggest would be witch, vampire, and yuki-onna (like in Rosario + Vampire) or space alien (like in To Love-Ru).

Also: Half-Foreign and Bokukko each just got a new advantage.

Admiral Squish
2013-07-19, 12:47 PM
Just gotta say, I love this thread.

Oh, and on races: If you're gonna add race into it, I think you need to have an alien option.

Edit:
Also, if the sukeban is a gang leader, maybe there should be an advantage that allows you to take advantage of your subordinates? You know, extra manpower. Maybe you can use them to distract/interfere with the competition, or gain a bonus on luck rolls to find the protagonist, or just treat your subordinates as a singular entity that can act as a second you in some cases.

Hawkflight
2013-07-19, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry, but every time I think of aliens in anime, I just keep thinking of 'Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl'. XD

Also, I still think there should be an animal lover class.

Durazno
2013-07-19, 11:48 PM
@Komodo: That's a good point about the dark magic, particularly if it manifests in a gruesome or startling way. In fact, seeing Protagonist-kun's attitude flip might be a story beat.

Mutazoia
2013-07-19, 11:57 PM
I just started to have Ninja High School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_High_School) flash backs....

Oh, and on races: If you're gonna add race into it, I think you need to have an alien option.

Asrial...

Also, if the sukeban is a gang leader, maybe there should be an advantage that allows you to take advantage of your subordinates? You know, extra manpower. Maybe you can use them to distract/interfere with the competition, or gain a bonus on luck rolls to find the protagonist, or just treat your subordinates as a singular entity that can act as a second you in some cases.

Rival-san Lendo...

Mutazoia
2013-07-20, 12:07 AM
@Durazno: thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean, particularly about the Android. I probably slanted that description a bit toward "robot maid" specifically, since that was the focus of the anime I had to watch to get the image. While "android servant who falls for master" is a perfectly legitimate concept, especially for the genre, it's by no means the only one available to androids. That one could stand a refluff.

Wouldn't happen to be "Saber Marionette J (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Marionette_J)" by any chance would it?

Komodo
2013-07-20, 12:37 AM
Wouldn't happen to be "Saber Marionette J (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Marionette_J)" by any chance would it?

Actually, it was something called Koharu Biyori. I'm not going to link to it, but its simple enough to find. Perhaps I could find a better image for an android, too.

Durazno
2013-07-20, 01:03 AM
Anime android girl, huh? Magical Pokaan wasn't a terrific show, but Aiko (http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/871-208625603.gif) has a pretty cute design. Chachamaru from Negima might be a good choice, too.

JBPuffin
2013-07-20, 01:10 AM
You know, the strangest thing about this idea...is that it makes perfect sense. A game where the PCs are fighting to pick up some guy is just about the third-strangest idea I've heard, but a lot of anime uses just a hint of this to go a long way.

Which reminds me, I watched some Code Lyoko yesterday, and while it's not mainly about a harem going after a guy...well, Orik's got an interesting romantic life as of the first 15 or so episodes...

Admiral Squish
2013-07-20, 01:58 AM
Maybe instead of including magical option on the regular list, maybe they should be like, an expansion. So, the DM can pick and choose what things are available. For example, magic is real, so you can play magic-related races and classes, but no aliens or super-scientists.

Also, a barrage of ideas:
Races: Elf, Fairy, Ghost
Normal Classes: Animal Lover, Techie (hacker/gadget lover)
Supernatural Classes: Magician and/or Witch, Scientist (madness optional), Hunter (of various magical things), Ninja, Samurai, Captain (or other superior officer)

Ionbound
2013-07-20, 10:06 AM
Idea for an advantage for Meganekko

Tabletop Gamer: 1/day, the Meganekko can call on her knowledge of gaming tropes to cause one of a number of effects.

However, I have no idea what these effects might be, or nerfs for this power, so please give me some feedback.

Komodo
2013-07-20, 06:25 PM
Alright. Because I'm so nice, I went ahead and expanded my race list...and then, because I am insane, I also went back over my list of advantages and completely reworked it. *headdesk* I added the Vampire, Alien, and Witch races, and tried to make it so that every race had at least four advantages to choose from.

I think this goes without saying, but ARK? All this is suggestions. You are free to alter/delete anything that you don't think will work.

Without further ado...

PS: Things in RED are things that have been changed or added. If I changed the fluff, but left the advantage as it is, I left it black.

Races
Human

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4746/ldzz.png “We’ve traveled through so many worlds, Protagonist-kun…but no matter where you end up, I hope we’re together.”

As a human, there’s nothing particularly special about you. You’re of normal strength, normal stature, and you probably haven’t practiced much magic…but then again, when so much weird stuff is happening, something familiar is comforting. After all, who understands a human better than another human? And who understands Protagonist-kun better than you?

Fantastic Exploration: When exploring a fantastical world, creature, or concept (firsthand, not just learning about it), you may add a +2 to Skill rolls when working with the Protagonist.

Back Off, Creature: Twice per episode, you may add +2 to Conflict rolls against inhuman opponents.

Weirdness Magnet: Strange things happen to you, and the world of magic won’t seem to leave you alone. After failing an Allure, Skill, or Conflict Roll, you may change the modifier to treat it as a Luck Roll. If this makes it a success, something strange yet oddly fortunate will happen (examples: spell misfiring, meteor impact, elephant stampede. How these turn toward your favor is up to the creativity of the GM).

Familiar Beauty: Supernatural creatures can try to outshine you, but a fellow human can find comfort in the well-recognized among the strange and exotic. Ignore any negative modifiers to opposed Allure rolls against non-human opponents.

God/Angel

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8645/srag.png“The lights of heaven are so beautiful. The only thing missing is you.”

While you may not be an omnipotent creator of worlds, and you may not wield a flaming sword, you do come from the celestial realms: a place of beauty, opalescence, peace, and wealth. You likely have experience with healing magics, and an aura of peace and tranquility surrounds you. Protagonist-kun cannot help but be attracted to you, but if his eyes wander, you can share.

Ethereal Beauty: Your aura naturally attracts everyone around you, including Protagonist-kun. You may add a +2 to an Allure roll, but the crowd you attract costs you -1 on your next two rolls

The World of the Gods is a Polygamist Society: Twice an episode, you can grant a +2 bonus to another character’s roll. If they receive Victory Points as a result, you also receive an equal number.

Healing Magic: Add +2 to any skill roll involving medicine.

Pacifist: Deliberately fail an opposed Conflict Roll to receive a +2 to your next non-Conflict roll
Demon

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9559/wt3s.png “There’s no light where I come from…and certainly nobody like you, Protagonist-kun.”

What Protagonist-kun calls the Underworld, you call home. Your race is separate from all others, which tends to lead to awkwardness or coldness toward foreign customs, but you make up for it with tempting persuasiveness and a penchant for Dark Magic. Between the powerful history of your race and your own silver tongue, you’re certain the Protagonist won't be able to resist you.

Dark Magic: It's amazing how many problems can be solved with energy bolts. Twice an episode, you may treat a failed Conflict roll as a success. However, as dark magic frightens the Protagonist, you take a -2 penalty on your next Allure check. Dark Magic also can be used as an on-hand scary weapon for a Yandere's Armed and Dangerous Advantage.

From a World of Shadow: You are sensitive to bright light. Twice an episode, you may add a +2 to Luck rolls to attract the Protagonist’s sympathies in well-lit areas. You always gain this bonus when exposed to light bright enough to bother non-demons.

Temptress: You know just what to say to get people to do what you want. Add +2 to Allure Rolls to convince the Protagonist to do something he might not otherwise.

Unfamiliar with Your Strange Customs: Many tasks most humans find mundane or at least familiar (ie: Cooking, swimming, dancing, or cleaning) are never performed in the underworld. You may take a -1 on an appropriate Skill Roll to gain a +1 on your next Allure or Luck Roll.
Monster Girl

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2387/i8oj.png “Would you please scratch behind my ears, Protagonist-kun? Oh…that’s nice…purrrrr…”

What’s Protagonist-kun’s favorite animal? The answer is “You.” Whether you have fluffy tails, scales, or feathers, your animalistic charms are sure to win his affections.

Let’s Cuddle: What does it mean when Protagonist-kun is sitting down? It means he wants you to rest your head on his lap. +1 on Allure rolls when the Protagonist is resting.

Natural Hunter: You know where Protagonist-kun’s been, you know when he’s alone, and you know the best way in there. Twice an episode, you may apply a +2 to Luck rolls to walk in on the protagonist, or get him to walk in on you.

Raised in the Woods: You didn’t grow up among people, and what many consider common knowledge is strange to you. However, you always bounce back from your failures. If you fail a Skill roll, you can take the margin of your failure and add it to your next roll, so long as it is not another Skill roll.

Danger Sense: Your naturally keen senses keep you alert at all times. Add a +1 to Combat Rolls against opponents who attempt to sneak up on you, and ignore penalties on any rolls for being surprised.
Android

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/711/plz8.png“How may I service you, Protagonist-kun?”

You look completely human, and act human as well, but beneath all that you are mechanical. However, this does not turn your thoughts away from love. Quite the contrary, it only strengthens it, as you were designed to serve and protect and be cared for. Regardless of whether that service was maid work or experimental warfare, you now have Protagonist-kun to offer your service to, and a massive library of augments and programmed skills with which to serve him.

Efficiency: The key to your charm lies in accomplishing tasks better than humans can. Succeeding at any three rolls in a row will earn you an extra Victory Point.

She Tore Off My Arm!: You may detach a body part. This grants you a +2 to Luck Checks for sympathy, but a -2 to all other rolls until the limb is reattached. Only you can remove the limb in this manner, but anyone can easily pop it back in. You remain in control of the part, but be careful that a rival doesn't steal it!

Learning Processor: You are able to configure any task just to Protagonist-kun's liking. Add +1 to a Skill Roll for each time you have previously attempted that skill or something extremely close to it (GM’s discretion) to a maximum of +2.

Artificial Body: Your model more resilient to damage than ordinary humans. Add +1 to Combat Rolls in which you are defending. You cannot use this bonus with a detached body part.
Alien

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5715/jwg6.png“What a beautiful planet you live on, Protagonist-kun…perhaps I could show you mine, someday?”

Perhaps you were pursued by intergalactic bounty hunters. Perhaps you are a scientist on an exploration mission, or the last survivor of your homeworld. Whatever the case may be, you’ve travelled across the galaxy to arrive at earth, only to find yourself falling for this strange human. Of course, there are several other humans vying for his attention too, but why would he choose them over you? You have a galaxy’s worth of stories to tell, a wealth of information to share to humanity, and a spaceship. None of those other girls have a spaceship, do they, Protagonist-kun?

Teleporter: You have your ways of getting into places you wouldn’t be expected. You must first set up the transport by being alone in the targeted area (ie, the protagonist’s bathroom) for at least five minutes. After that, you may add +2 to Luck Rolls to appear in fortunate situations when you teleport.

Xenotech: At your command are a few gadgets that this planet won’t invent for a few more centuries. However, this also means that they will need to be sent back up to your ship to recharge. At the start of the episode, tell the GM what Roll your device is made to enhance. This device has four charges for a +1 bonus to that Roll that you may use one at a time (Four +1’s) or all at once (A single +4) or any other combination of bonuses for a sum total of four. Once used up, the device must be sent to the ship to recharge until the next episode.

Alien Buddy: You brought along a loyal critter from your homeworld. Whatever it looks like, it is certainly A) small, B) cute, and C) capable of levitation. It is able to perform tasks for you, although its competence is questionable. If you are presented with a scenario with multiple options, your Buddy may be assigned to one while you do the other, with you receiving the results of both rolls. Your buddy does not have any of your strengths, weaknesses, or advantages, takes a -2 on all rolls, and must return to the spaceship for the episode after losing a Conflict roll. Your Buddy cannot be attacked unless separated from you. This ability stacks with the Genki’s Hypercharged ability.

I Have A Spaceship!: If you can convince the other contestants to let you transport the group somewhere in your spaceship, you receive a +2 to two separate Allure Rolls for the remainder of the episode because your spaceship is just that cool. A Sensei-chan may use her Insane Driver advantage in conjunction with this.
Witch

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8683/gouz.png
“Hop on my broomstick and let’s fly away, Protagonist-kun!”

You have been trained to expand your spirit beyond the limitations of your body, and to bend nature to your whim. You can’t bend the Protagonist’s love toward you…at least, not yet, but if you could find the right mushrooms for this potion…

Broomstick Flight: Not only is it a lovely way to get around, it’s also a perfect way for you to “accidentally” give Protagonist-kun a look at your panties! +1 to Allure Rolls in wide outdoor spaces where flying would be appropriate, and +2 if you can get him to ride with you!

Charm: You know how to get things to work in your favor. If you are able to spend five minutes, just five, alone with Protagonist-kun, then you can twist fate to bring you closer together! You earn two +2 bonuses to separate Luck Rolls for the episode.

Curse: Oh, they’ll get theirs. Before setting this up, you must collect “necessary materials” (hair, usually, although panties are also popular spell components) by either winning a Conflict Roll against your target or winning a Skill Roll to steal them secretly. You may then force the target to take three -2 penalties on separate rolls in the episode. You may cast no more than two curses per episode.

Herbalist: You may add a +2 bonus to any Skill Roll involving working with plants, including cooking a vegetarian meal.
Vampire

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/949/qe6.png
“Share your warmth with me, Proagonist-kun…I promise not to bite…without permission…”

The touch of undeath has not spoiled your beauty, although it has made it hard to be around people without trying to bite them. However, the protagonist has captured your still heart, and you could never bring yourself to drink his blood…well, not all of it anyway…he just tastes so sweet!

Bloodlust: You want it, you need it…and when it’s available, you can’t resist it. You take a -2 penalty to Allure and Skill Rolls in the presence of blood (papercuts and nosebleeds are common triggers), but also earn a +2 to Luck and Conflict.

Strength of the Grave: Your strength is beyond that of normal humans. Add a +1 to Conflict Rolls in which you are the aggressor, and ignore penalties on the roll.

Dominate: Those other bloodbags surrounding Protagonist-kun? They aren’t your opponents…they’re your pawns. If you win an opposed conflict roll, you can force another character to perform an action in your stead. You may force your thrall to activate any appropriate advantages, she takes a -1 penalty as she resists you, and you receive any Victory Points rewarded if she succeeds. You may not take any other actions while dominating them unless you use the Genki’s Hypercharged advantage, in which case you may take one action with the normal Hypercharge penalty while your thrall obeys your command.

Bat Form: You can turn into a small, fluffy, winged creature. You gain a +1 bonus to Allure rolls, as well as a +2 bonus to any rolls to hide or run away, but you also take a -2 to Conflict Rolls, and lose any other bonuses to Conflict, including those granted by Bloodlust or Strength of the Grave.

True Form: You may call upon your true monstrous form. This grants you a +4 to a single Skill or Conflict roll, but you lose control over yourself. For the remainder of the scene, your actions are under the control of the GM, and there’s no telling what the Protagonist would think of you when you’re like that…

Durazno
2013-07-20, 08:27 PM
The new android description is much better. I like how you emphasize the reciprocal relationship.

Is the alien pic a Namekian?

Domination might need more limiting factors, but we'll see what our host has to say.

Ionbound
2013-07-20, 08:51 PM
You know, for some reason, I was expecting the vampire and witch pictures to be from one of the anime ARK mentioned earlier. I am, however, pleasantly surprised and I wish I could homebrew as well as you, Komodo

Admiral Squish
2013-07-20, 09:02 PM
This idea just occurred to me, an ability for tsundere.
Fetching Fury: You're surprisingly cute when you're angry. Twice per episode, you can use the result of a combat check in place of an allure roll.

Elricaltovilla
2013-07-20, 09:44 PM
At the rate things are going you'll have enough material for a kick starter by next week lol.

Ionbound
2013-07-20, 09:44 PM
Yet another hare-brained suggestion. You know how in Mage: The Awakening, paradox is the result of human disbelief? Maybe humans in the "Magic Pack" can have a similar advantage. Something that lets them cancel one supernatural ability per episode.

Milo v3
2013-07-20, 10:02 PM
This class relies completely on being reasonable and working with GM as otherwise it's ridiculously overpowered.

Sentai/Magical Girl Class
“Have you ever noticed how she always seems to disappear just before something interesting happens?”

You have been blessed with a power! Whether this is from you being an alien, cursed by a god, subject to a lab accident, using superior technology, or you were just born that way it doesn't matter. Just as you'd expect keeping your true identity secret is difficult, and your love always seems to end up getting captured.

Empowered Movement: Whether by flight, superspeed, webswinging or something even more bizarre, you can use your powers to allow you to travel much faster. +2 on rolls to reach a location faster than other girls if you are able to use your powers to get there.

Kryptonite: The cause of your strange gifts also gave you a powerful weakness. While in the presence of your Kryptonite you suffer from -2 on conflict and skill rolls, but a +1 on allure and luck rolls because of how vulnerable you look.

Saviour: One of the main things about being a superhero is that you're a HERO! When making a roll where success would mean saving or rescuing someone, you gain +2 on the roll.

Secret Identity: Being a hero, you possess an alternate identity. When in costume, you gain a +1 to allure and conflict rolls. But because the protagonist won't realize that it is you, your secret identity gains an victory points while in costume rather than you gaining them. If your secret identity is revealed, you lose the benefit to rolls when in costume but gain half the victory points your secret identity possessed.

Superpower: You possess a power, you must decide what this power is with the GM's approval. This power applies a +1 bonus to conflict or skill rolls whenever you can use your power.

Mutazoia
2013-07-20, 10:38 PM
Hmmm....now that I think about it we're missing the "gay friend" trope. He's usually comic relief, popping up making veiled ( or in some cases not so veiled) passes at protagonist-kun (such as Fred Luo from Outlaw star or Mitsurugi Hanagata from Saber Marionette J) Often tries to "rescue" protagonist-kun from the onslaught of the girls... Probably more of an Uke (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Uke) than a Seme (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Seme)

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-20, 10:56 PM
This idea just occurred to me, an ability for tsundere.
Fetching Fury: You're surprisingly cute when you're angry. Twice per episode, you can use the result of a combat check in place of an allure roll.

The yandere already does this with "Murderous Love."

Everyone, thank you for your generous suggestions! Keep 'em coming as long as you feel like writing more. Once I've tinkered around with the advantages and gotten everything how I like it, I'll compile all this stuff into an expansion pack of sorts for the main game.

Also, I'm working on a simple mechanic for character advancement that should be done pretty soon.

Durazno
2013-07-21, 12:17 AM
So I have a notion for another mechanic.

Note - since one of the very first comments was AuraTwilight intending to start up an all-boys game and it brightened my day so much, I'm sticking to gender-neutral or alternating language. The game becomes a lot more interesting when you assume that any combination of genders and sexes are possible among the characters. Does this mean I should alternate between Protagonist-kun and Protagonist-chan...?

Edit: Apart from spoilering it to be more considerate of forumspace, I added a few to the list and made some more general. I think this is closer to a usable list.

Anyway...

Protagonist Traits

Sometimes our protagonist isn't just a meek, colorless milquetoast, and has some quirks or interests that set him/her apart from the rest of the genre and show us what their appeal might be to the harem. This system can add interest to the character of Protagonist-kun and add variety to multiple rounds of the game.

As with character traits, the number of protagonist traits is pretty much arbitrary, but one rule of thumb is to have as many traits as there are player characters, or one more. This way, you can try to ensure that none of the PCs have an unfair advantage by using the traits to give a reason that each of them would appeal to Protagonist-kun.

How careful you are when you choose traits, and how hard you work to make them form a coherent character, is entirely up to you and your group. After all, the protagonist is rarely the selling point of harem anime. That said, it will probably be easier for your players to get into the game if they can understand what their characters see in our hero/ine.

One last note: many of these traits can be used to create a character who isn't exactly a choice catch. Well, love is blind, after all.

So here are some examples. though I'm noticing now that they're pretty "allure" heavy:

Hobbyist: Choose a task or interest, which could be anything from cooking to board games to a particular celebrity to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Protagonist-kun is all about this kind of thing, and PCs who share his interest get a +1 to allure checks in a scene where they both enthuse about his interest. Additionally, if a PC is attempting a task in this area and the protagonist is helping them, they get a +2 bonus to their roll.

Fetishist: Pick a particular quality that a person of the protagonist's preferred gender might have, which could be anything from glasses to long legs to freckles to cat ears and beyond. Any character who has this quality gets a +2 bonus to allure checks where the protagonist is concerned.

Otaku: The protagonist is completely obsessed with something. (Not sure about this one. I was imagining it as a more intense version of either Hobbyist or Fetishist, but now I'm not sure.)

Unforgiving: If some slight or insult during this scene has given your character a penalty to checks when interacting with the protagonist, the penalty lasts through the next scene.

Gentle: Every character gets a +1 bonus to checks to gain sympathy from the protagonist.

Thick-headed: All characters take a -1 penalty to allure checks with the protagonist when they are trying to be at all subtle. If they're basically throwing their undergarments at him, then either the penalty doesn't apply or the protagonist is calling the cops.

Accidental Pervert: Every character gets a +1 bonus to luck rolls to be caught in a compromising circumstance with the protagonist. This stacks with any traits the PCs have, so there will probably be a lot of tripping and groping going on.

Insecure: Choose a task, interest or hobby. If a PC shows the protagonist up with a spectacular skill or luck check, seeming to demonstrate superior skill or knowledge in this area (whether or not this is actually the case), they suffer a -1 penalty to allure rolls towards him for the rest of the scene.

Really Seriously Insecure: As above, but it applies in any area, not just a given one.

Horndog: Every character of the protagonist's preferred gender gets a +1 to allure roles when dealing with him or her.

Wandering Eye: It can be hard to keep the protagonist's attention sometimes. Pick some kind of character or object (attractive members of the protagonist's preferred gender are a popular choice.) As long as a PC is sharing the scene with these characters or objects, he or she suffers a -1 penalty to any rolls to interact with the protagonist.

Heroic: If a player character or innocent bystander is in danger, the protagonist immediately drops what she's doing and tries to help them, regardless of the risk to herself. The rolls required for a given rescue are not pre-determined by this trait, of course, but any PC can be awarded VP for helping the protagonist in her mission or being rescued themselves.

Villainous: The protagonist has some dastardly plan that may soon come to fruition. Player characters can gain VP for aiding in his machinations, but may just decide to reconsider their pursuit.

That kind of thing.

Komodo
2013-07-21, 09:48 AM
The new android description is much better. I like how you emphasize the reciprocal relationship.

Is the alien pic a Namekian?
It is indeed. I needed something that would be recognizable as an alien, instead of just another pretty face. Thank you for the compliment!

You know, for some reason, I was expecting the vampire and witch pictures to be from one of the anime ARK mentioned earlier. I am, however, pleasantly surprised and I wish I could homebrew as well as you, Komodo
D'aww...thanks so much.
Yeah, the problem with using pics from those anime is that there's nothing about those characters that would mark them out as a monster. Even the true form of the girl from Rosario + Vampire just looked like a white-haired noblewoman. I needed something unambiguous, which is why I used the Namekian for the Alien entry in spite of one of them never being allowed near an officially published harem story. I'd ask why all the aliens in harem anime look exactly like pretty girls, but I'd be answering my own question.

Ionbound
2013-07-21, 11:43 AM
Well, that explains it.

And another hair-brained advantage for Meganekko (I think it should be obvious by now which of these I am IRL)

Savant-You are excellent at some skill to the exclusion of all others. Once per episode you may chose to take a +2 to any skill roll at the price of taking a -2 to all skill roles not directly related to the skill used in the first roll at the GM's discretion.

Durazno
2013-07-22, 07:50 PM
Updated the "protagonist traits" proposal. I think I might be going about this the wrong way, but we'll see. If it does work, then optional setting traits might be fun too.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-22, 07:54 PM
Reading through the classes and personalities, some advantages appear to be balanced with two things in mind: one, all the PCs are the same sex (female, by default); two, the Puro-kun (or Puro-chan, as the case might be) is not. As such, any advantage that specifies a sex it works on, such as School Queen, might need revising in games where those things do not hold true.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-22, 08:10 PM
I'll try to respond to a decent number of people here. If I haven't commented on something you posted, don't worry! I'm working my way along here.

Updated the "protagonist traits" proposal. I think I might be going about this the wrong way, but we'll see. If it does work, then optional setting traits might be fun too.

So, I think the protagonist traits are a fun idea, and I'll definitely sort through your suggestions to see if there's anything I'd like to add, but I have a bit of a concern about a few of them. Having a protagonist react positively to a certain kind of roll basically weights the game in favor of characters who use a certain kind of roll - but that's really what the strengths and advantages are for. If the protagonist responds better to Allure rolls in general, then that's just another cherry on top for a girl who's already specced to take the Allure option whenever it's available.

Reading through the classes and personalities, some advantages appear to be balanced with two things in mind: one, all the PCs are the same sex (female, by default); two, the Puro-kun (or Puro-chan, as the case might be) is not. As such, any advantage that specifies a sex it works on, such as School Queen, might need revising in games where those things do not hold true.

True. That advantage in particular seems to be getting interpreted in funny ways during gender-swapped games, so I'll probably reword it to apply to "NPC students."

Hmmm....now that I think about it we're missing the "gay friend" trope. He's usually comic relief, popping up making veiled ( or in some cases not so veiled) passes at protagonist-kun (such as Fred Luo from Outlaw star or Mitsurugi Hanagata from Saber Marionette J) Often tries to "rescue" protagonist-kun from the onslaught of the girls... Probably more of an Uke (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Uke) than a Seme (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Seme)

Hmm, possibly. If he's not meant to be a serious contender, he could really just take the form of recurring challenges that the players need to overcome to earn their VP.

Well, that explains it.

And another hair-brained advantage for Meganekko (I think it should be obvious by now which of these I am IRL)

Savant-You are excellent at some skill to the exclusion of all others. Once per episode you may chose to take a +2 to any skill roll at the price of taking a -2 to all skill roles not directly related to the skill used in the first roll at the GM's discretion.

I'll have to think about this one. Skill covers a really wide variety of activities, so I wonder if the benefit would be worth the drawback in that case.

Durazno
2013-07-22, 11:50 PM
That's a very good point about the imbalance, and it's one of the reasons I wasn't sure about this whole thing. My notion was that ideally the protagonist would have a quality that gives an advantage to each of the characters - so they strongly share an interest with one, respond well to another's strongest trait, have a fetish for the trait of a third, et cetera.

It might be better if I moved protagonist traits away from bonuses and penalties, though. It's still a work in progress after all. If you'd like me to keep hammering, let me know what direction you'd like it to go!

JBPuffin
2013-07-23, 02:30 AM
Mis-click ate my post...rage!!:smallfurious:

Anyway, I saw that we have a priest (of sorts), so why do we not have a goth? This situation is abot to get rectified.

I don't have a cool anime-style name, if y'all do please tell me.
(And an image...can't seem to get them to work...)

"So, Protagonist-kun...my friends and I are performing a skyclad ritual up by the lake. Wanna come watch?"
Your friends thought yo were crazy when you went goth; in fact, everyone who knew thought it was weird. Now, however, there's that new guy in class, and chances are that your Master would love to have his soul. Besides, he's cute.

Black Sacrament: It's a good thing the school has an Occult Studies course on campus. At the start of any scene you may make an unopposed (usually) Skill roll described as reciting some mantra you know. If you succeed, the first person who attempts to roll against you in this scene takes a -2 penalty to their roll.

Eternal Apathy: Death has a tendency of sucking the emotion out of people, and your simply another on the list. Once per episode, whenever your emotions might get the best of you, you can succeed on any rolls to resist; however, if you try to express emotion in the same scene you activate this power, you take a -2 to any rolls involved.

Killer Reputation: People have a bad habit of leaving their pets on your sacrificial altar in your basement. It would be a shame to let such good blood go to waste...and they haven't forgotten Jimmy in second grade. +2 to Conflict rolls when trying to freak people out who've heard of you.

YEs I know I'm mixing my metaphors a bit with the flavor text, but I can't help but see this as a golden use of RP if you can get the protagonist to go with her on one of these "rituals". Do I get a cookie?

Edt: Also are the Japanese names just from being serious anime fans or is there some sort of website?

Ionbound
2013-07-23, 09:26 AM
And another one for the cuckoolander

Drift Away: Once per episode you may ignore any single social interaction (such as the "banishment in another realm"). This has the side effect of causing Protagonist-kun to feel a bit odd around you, and you take a -1 to Allure for the rest of the episode.

I imagine this to work like the Chuunibyou "banishes" the Cuckoolander and then she's like "Huh? I wasn't listening"

JBPuffin
2013-07-23, 01:34 PM
Will now be using this as a base for an idea that I just created (killed part of my fictional masterpiece but it's probably worth it) involving a world concept very similar to the Epic book series (life is video games, real-life violence is a no-no, world somewhat utopian, alien contact etc). Since a decent bit of the game will involve video game combat I may have to attach this to another system to get it to work, but in theory Conflict rolls ought to do it.

Just so you know, semi-Homestuck trolls are involved. Yes, I am posting stats for them as a race (they're the only other race so far). No, this is not what it looks like...well, at least not what you immediately think it looks like...:smallwink::smallamused:

Alternian Troll

"wHHen dIId yOOu shOOw up, pRROOTTAAGGOONNIIst-kUUn?
While being an alien race of war-loving emotionless/extremely emotional oddballs with bizarre speech may not be a human's first choice, you Alternians have been working alongside humans for a long time. It helps that you also throw some wicked parties now and again.

Alternian Blood: Having yellow blood can be really fun for you...although attackers might be really confused. When you fail a Conflict roll, your attacker takes a -2 to his/her next three rolls due to confusion over the fact that YOUR BLOOD IS TEAL!! WHY?!

Horns of the Zodiac: You have horns on your head; they look like candy corn and are attuned to your zodiac sign. When dealing with a person of the same zodiac sign as you, you add +2 to any related rolls (GM be warned, don't let the protagonist fall into this category).

Typing Quirk: People who don't know you find your texts REALLY confusing. Non-Trolls or people who have spent less than an act with you take a -2 when trying to decipher any writing you do.

In addition, an appropriate Universal Advantage that all PCs will have:

Gaming Scholar: Now that school is all about teaching people the game, kids are getting a lot more homework done. +1 to any rolls involving RPGs of the game variety (not rocket launchers).

Anyway, thought I'd share.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-23, 10:33 PM
If anyone is interested, I posted a thread for a second playtest here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15680754#post15680754).

A Rainy Knight, if I get players, might I PM you with any questions I might have?

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-24, 09:02 AM
JBPuffin: Well, sounds like an interesting idea! I've got no experience with Homestuck or anything like that, but I hope it works out well for you.

If anyone is interested, I posted a thread for a second playtest here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15680754#post15680754).

A Rainy Knight, if I get players, might I PM you with any questions I might have?

Ooh, excited to see what happens! Feel free to ask me on anything you aren't sure of. It'd be useful to see if my rules are explained clearly enough that someone other than me can run a good game of it.

the_druid_droid
2013-07-24, 07:42 PM
Welp, I've been watching this thread with interest for a while, and I finally decided to break out of lurker mode and post some thoughts I've had, mostly questions about the reading of specific advantages, as well as a couple of possible suggestions.

In no particular order, the list is:

- I was curious to find out the reasoning behind the difference in Deep Freeze and Thaw Out's durations for the Kuudere; especially considering that five rolls seems like a fairly long stretch compared to some of the other girls' tradeoff abilities.

- In the case of the Graceful advantage in the Ojou class, does that automatic result of 4 allow for adding modifiers (like taking 10 would in D&D) or is it to be interpreted as a flat result for the roll, everything else aside?

- For the Meganekko, two advantages (Foresight and Just As Planned) depend on quite a bit of OOC chance. They do give reasonably large payoffs in return, but since taking them is a gamble it reduces that class' "dependable" advantages to only a set of two, while most of the other girls have four or five. This might just be my own play-style bias, but it seems like it would be worthwhile to add another consistent advantage to that class, or re-write one of the existing chance-based ones to incorporate more consistency. This suggestion also stems somewhat from my impression that mechanical dependability is thematically important for a class designed to represent a careful, plan-and-goal-oriented individual.

- The Iinchou class seems a little too light on advantages in comparison to the others; they've only got three in total while most of the other girls are working with 4-5. I know the advantage lists are still under development, but I'd suggest this class for priority treatment in the next round of updates.

- Finally, does the Idol's Star Quality advantage apply only when all the girls are competing in the same type of roll (Allure/Conflict/Skill/Luck), or just when all the girls are on-screen for a roll, so to speak? Also, in connection to that, does it apply to any roll or only opposed/unopposed ones?

Mutazoia
2013-07-24, 10:30 PM
Got a little bored at work to day so I fiddled around with a new class suggestion:

Sports Fanatic (not to be confused with Bokukko):

"Yata! That's another point for me, Protagonist-kun!"

Sports are your life. Your natural talent and determination have made you the best in the school in your chosen field. Even your sempai's bow to your skill. Whether its rythmic gymnastics or the girls kendo team, you've risen to the rank of team captain, a duty you take very seriously. You let little distract you from your duties and boy's are usually a distraction....protagonist-kun WAS watching just now...right?

Eye of the Tiger: When it come's to sports, you NEVER lose. When ever the chips are down and your back is against the wall, you summon hidden reserves of strenght that allow you to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Once per scene, during a contested or uncontested skill or conflict roll, and after the results have been tallied, you may activate this advantage to receive an instant bonus that would allow you to win. (Example if you roll a 2 for a skill roll and your opponant rolls a 5, you can immediately get a +4 bonus to win). This ability comes at a price, however. The flaming eyes, grim face, and a chakra aura that would put a super-sayan to shame...you are NOT cute when your angry. During any scene in which you use Eye of the tiger to win a roll, you also receive a penalty to your next Allure roll equal to the bonus you received.

Fan Club: Your skill in your field has made you very popular, and you even have your own fan club. Once per scene you can cause another girl to take a -2 on an allure roll as your fans do their best to "help you out" by getting in her way.

Team Captain: Your experience as team captain has tought you how to lead effectively. Once per scene you may collaborate with one or more of the other girls, receiving a +1 bonus to any one roll for every "team mate" that participates.

Hard body: Your intense physical training has made your body lean and fit. As a result other girls take a -1 penalty to any conflict rolls against you. Unfortunately your lean figure prevents you from taking the "well endowed" advantage.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-25, 01:44 PM
Observation: the universal advantages are surprisingly popular, leading to a cast full of well-endowed athletic girls. Perhaps it could be useful to limit each universal advantage to one cast member (possibly two if the cast is sufficiently large - maybe a minimum of five players). This helps differentiate girls and say things like yes, all the girls can cook with some skill (except the ones who are weak in Skill rolls), but Saeko is the best cook among them.

Jormengand
2013-07-25, 01:57 PM
Observation: the universal advantages are surprisingly popular, leading to a cast full of well-endowed athletic girls. Perhaps it could be useful to limit each universal advantage to one cast member (possibly two if the cast is sufficiently large - maybe a minimum of five players). This helps differentiate girls and say things like yes, all the girls can cook with some skill (except the ones who are weak in Skill rolls), but Saeko is the best cook among them.

If two people want the same one, who gets it?

Illven
2013-07-25, 02:02 PM
Observation: the universal advantages are surprisingly popular, leading to a cast full of well-endowed athletic girls.

So a normal anime :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-25, 02:08 PM

They either negotiate, or they play roshambo until one of them wins.

Centric
2013-07-25, 07:12 PM
It can probably be alleviated with a greater variety of univantages. Or perhaps by adding a rule for Rivalries when two girls use the same advantage. Not sure how it would work, but my first thought... the girls agree on or roll for their pick of: keeping the normal bonus OR forgoing the bonus to gain extra VP as long as she checks higher than her rival, even if she fails the check herself. The girls may not take the same option.

Maybe add one more for three-way rivalries, but any more is silly :P

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-25, 07:25 PM
Small update time! A new advantage each for the Pervert and Cuckoolander, and two new advantages for the Iinchou, bringing them all up to at least four advantages each, the standard I'd like to shoot for.

- I was curious to find out the reasoning behind the difference in Deep Freeze and Thaw Out's durations for the Kuudere; especially considering that five rolls seems like a fairly long stretch compared to some of the other girls' tradeoff abilities.

The reasoning there is that I'm an idiot :<

That's a mistake I didn't fix from the first draft, it seems. They're both supposed to be three turns in duration, so I'll fix that.

- In the case of the Graceful advantage in the Ojou class, does that automatic result of 4 allow for adding modifiers (like taking 10 would in D&D) or is it to be interpreted as a flat result for the roll, everything else aside?

It's like taking 10 in D&D. You treat the result of your d6 roll as a 4.

- For the Meganekko, two advantages (Foresight and Just As Planned) depend on quite a bit of OOC chance. They do give reasonably large payoffs in return, but since taking them is a gamble it reduces that class' "dependable" advantages to only a set of two, while most of the other girls have four or five. This might just be my own play-style bias, but it seems like it would be worthwhile to add another consistent advantage to that class, or re-write one of the existing chance-based ones to incorporate more consistency. This suggestion also stems somewhat from my impression that mechanical dependability is thematically important for a class designed to represent a careful, plan-and-goal-oriented individual.

Mmm, you have a point. I'll think about this, though I'm certainly open to suggestions. I'll probably look through firedaemon's suggestions in this regard, too.

Oh, one thing that I might add, though - the way I envisioned it, Just As Planned serves as a counter to someone dumping a ridiculous number of advantages on a single roll. If someone stacks up so much that they'll almost certainly win, then Just As Planned pulls the rug out from under them.

- The Iinchou class seems a little too light on advantages in comparison to the others; they've only got three in total while most of the other girls are working with 4-5. I know the advantage lists are still under development, but I'd suggest this class for priority treatment in the next round of updates.

Two new advantages in this update! They're basically type-swapped copies of existing abilities, but it's a start.

- Finally, does the Idol's Star Quality advantage apply only when all the girls are competing in the same type of roll (Allure/Conflict/Skill/Luck), or just when all the girls are on-screen for a roll, so to speak? Also, in connection to that, does it apply to any roll or only opposed/unopposed ones?

Every girl has to be doing exactly the same roll for that to count, so they have to be the same type. It's only a +1 bonus because it's guaranteed to activate anytime there's only one option in a scene.

Got a little bored at work to day so I fiddled around with a new class suggestion:

Sports Fanatic (not to be confused with Bokukko):

"Yata! That's another point for me, Protagonist-kun!"

Sports are your life. Your natural talent and determination have made you the best in the school in your chosen field. Even your sempai's bow to your skill. Whether its rythmic gymnastics or the girls kendo team, you've risen to the rank of team captain, a duty you take very seriously. You let little distract you from your duties and boy's are usually a distraction....protagonist-kun WAS watching just now...right?

Eye of the Tiger: When it come's to sports, you NEVER lose. When ever the chips are down and your back is against the wall, you summon hidden reserves of strenght that allow you to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Once per scene, during a contested or uncontested skill or conflict roll, and after the results have been tallied, you may activate this advantage to receive an instant bonus that would allow you to win. (Example if you roll a 2 for a skill roll and your opponant rolls a 5, you can immediately get a +4 bonus to win). This ability comes at a price, however. The flaming eyes, grim face, and a chakra aura that would put a super-sayan to shame...you are NOT cute when your angry. During any scene in which you use Eye of the tiger to win a roll, you also receive a penalty to your next Allure roll equal to the bonus you received.

Fan Club: Your skill in your field has made you very popular, and you even have your own fan club. Once per scene you can cause another girl to take a -2 on an allure roll as your fans do their best to "help you out" by getting in her way.

Team Captain: Your experience as team captain has tought you how to lead effectively. Once per scene you may collaborate with one or more of the other girls, receiving a +1 bonus to any one roll for every "team mate" that participates.

Hard body: Your intense physical training has made your body lean and fit. As a result other girls take a -1 penalty to any conflict rolls against you. Unfortunately your lean figure prevents you from taking the "well endowed" advantage.

Yes! I was absolutely thinking of doing something along the lines of this. I'll have to have another look and see what I think of your advantages, but this is definitely a class I want to add.

You're right. I'll have to add something about this, though I'd also like to try to alleviate this by just adding a greater variety of universal advantages to pick from.

Fear not, supernatural lovers! I really do want to add a big ol' update with all those races in it, so I'll keep working at that.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-25, 07:34 PM
Question time!

- Do opposed rolls always reduce another roll in the same scene, or can they be used to earn VPs (for example, some sort of contest where there can be only one winner)?
- Can all roll types be used both opposed and unopposed?
- Is there a minimum or maximum number of options in a given scene?

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-25, 07:47 PM
Question time!

- Do opposed rolls always reduce another roll in the same scene, or can they be used to earn VPs (for example, some sort of contest where there can be only one winner)?
- Can all roll types be used both opposed and unopposed?
- Is there a minimum or maximum number of options in a given scene?

-They can definitely be used to earn VP. Your two main types of opposed rolls would be one-on-one Conflict rolls to interfere with each other and group opposed rolls where a prize is given to first place (or maybe to the top three, or maybe a different prize for second place, et cetera).

And just to elaborate here, you can offer rewards other than VP for a successful roll. A success on one roll might give you a bonus on the next roll that actually rewards VP. Or maybe only the people who succeed on one roll get to participate in the next one.

-All roll types can be opposed and unopposed. I'll try to give some examples.
Unopposed Allure: Charm an NPC into giving you information.
Opposed Allure: Get the protagonist to listen to you instead of the other girls.
Unopposed Luck: Find your way to the protagonist's house without a map.
Opposed Luck: Be the one girl who gets walked in on by the protagonist.
Unopposed Skill: Make a bento lunch that isn't disgusting.
Opposed Skill: Win the dance competition all the other girls have entered.
Unopposed Conflict: Scare off the bullies bothering the protagonist.
Opposed Conflict: Beat the other girls into submission and win your place as the protagonist's date to the ball.

-There's no minimum number of choices (well, there has to be at least one choice, really :smalltongue:). The maximum is however many you feel like offering. Maybe you'd offer one option of each roll type. Maybe you'd offer two options that both depend on Skill, where one of them is higher difficulty than the other but offers a great reward. And so forth.

Illven
2013-07-25, 07:53 PM
You're right. I'll have to add something about this, though I'd also like to try to alleviate this by just adding a greater variety of universal advantages to pick from.

Fear not, supernatural lovers! I really do want to add a big ol' update with all those races in it, so I'll keep working at that.

I don't think it's a problem though. Or rather it's one that the DM should decide if he wants to enforce.

Using the well endowed trait, because Anime. I can see games where noone selects the trait, some where only 1 or 2 girls select the trait, or some where the majority/all girls pick the trait.

Is the goal of the game really harmed if that happens? I mean seems stereotypical anime-ish.

the_druid_droid
2013-07-25, 08:26 PM
Oh, one thing that I might add, though - the way I envisioned it, Just As Planned serves as a counter to someone dumping a ridiculous number of advantages on a single roll. If someone stacks up so much that they'll almost certainly win, then Just As Planned pulls the rug out from under them.

Ah, I see what you mean. That's actually an interesting scenario; in that case I might only suggest tweaking the other chance-based one. Maybe have it be guess even/odd rather than the exact number, and slightly weaken the reward?

Just a thought.

Two new advantages in this update! They're basically type-swapped copies of existing abilities, but it's a start.

Excellent!

Also, since more Universal Advantages seems like it would be a good thing, I came up with a few.

Maid in Japan: That part-time job at a maid cafe was embarrassing, but it paid the bills, and it proved that you look great in cosplay. You gain +1 to Allure rolls made while wearing outlandish outfits, animal accessories, etc.

High-Score High Schooler: Until Protagonist-kun captured your heart, you spent a lot of your free time at the arcade. You may not be a dancer but you'll take all comers in DDR. You gain +1 to Skill rolls involving non-sport games.

Fortune's Favorite: You've always had a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and your room is filled with odds and ends you won in raffles. Once per episode you may roll Luck in place of Skill.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-25, 08:56 PM
Whoops! One of the new Iinchou advantages is mechanically the same as an existing Dojikko advantage, so I'm going to slightly change it.

Ah, I see what you mean. That's actually an interesting scenario; in that case I might only suggest tweaking the other chance-based one. Maybe have it be guess even/odd rather than the exact number, and slightly weaken the reward?

Just a thought.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'll probably have a fix for that next update.

Also, since more Universal Advantages seems like it would be a good thing, I came up with a few.

Maid in Japan: That part-time job at a maid cafe was embarrassing, but it paid the bills, and it proved that you look great in cosplay. You gain +1 to Allure rolls made while wearing outlandish outfits, animal accessories, etc.

High-Score High Schooler: Until Protagonist-kun captured your heart, you spent a lot of your free time at the arcade. You may not be a dancer but you'll take all comers in DDR. You gain +1 to Skill rolls involving non-sport games.

Fortune's Favorite: You've always had a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and your room is filled with odds and ends you won in raffles. Once per episode you may roll Luck in place of Skill.

Just those first two makes me think that an "otaku" sort of character could be its own archetype - I'm just unsure whether to make it a personality or class.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-25, 09:07 PM
Question time!

- What is the mechanical difference between a class and a personality, if any? Similarly, what is the non-mechanical difference?

I'm asking because there are some cases where two classes or two personalities should not be mutually exclusive, but they are because you can only have the one. For example, iinchō and sukeban are unlikely to be found in a single girl, but the same can't be said for osananajimi and, say, meganekko. On the other hand, there are a few cases where mechanically valid combinations, such as half-foreigner and miko, make very little sense.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-25, 09:15 PM
Question time!

- What is the mechanical difference between a class and a personality, if any? Similarly, what is the non-mechanical difference?

I'm asking because there are some cases where two classes or two personalities should not be mutually exclusive, but they are because you can only have the one. For example, iinchō and sukeban are unlikely to be found in a single girl, but the same can't be said for osananajimi and, say, meganekko. On the other hand, there are a few cases where mechanically valid combinations, such as half-foreigner and miko, make very little sense.

Mechanically, there's no difference. In the first version of the system, there was no distinction between the two at all, only a single pool of "archetypes." The only reason a split was made was to allow for more varied characters who drew from more than one archetype (which was an excellent idea), and what we have now is the result of me sorting the old archetypes into two piles more or less arbitrarily in an attempt to cut down on blatantly incompatible pairings. It was a really hard call to make with some of them, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this system - and as it stands now, you're welcome to houserule in personality-personality or class-class pairings.

Milo v3
2013-07-25, 09:39 PM
Mechanically, there's no difference. In the first version of the system, there was no distinction between the two at all, only a single pool of "archetypes." The only reason a split was made was to allow for more varied characters who drew from more than one archetype (which was an excellent idea), and what we have now is the result of me sorting the old archetypes into two piles more or less arbitrarily in an attempt to cut down on blatantly incompatible pairings. It was a really hard call to make with some of them, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this system - and as it stands now, you're welcome to houserule in personality-personality or class-class pairings.

Though you probably shouldn't allow for Race-Race pairings. :smalltongue:
Then again.... Vampire Aliens

the_druid_droid
2013-07-25, 09:54 PM
Just those first two makes me think that an "otaku" sort of character could be its own archetype - I'm just unsure whether to make it a personality or class.

I had been thinking that a bit myself, although until today I didn't have any advantages to post for it. If it were up to me, I would probably lean toward making it a class, since Shrinking Violet Otaku or Pervert Otaku seem to be a bit more rounded as characters than pairing Otaku with some of the archetypes from the class list. Also, depending on how they're played, there could be common elements between Otaku and Chuunibyou, so making them mutually exclusive for a single character might help with the overall variety.

Mutazoia
2013-07-25, 10:35 PM

Well...at the moment there are only 4 universal advantages, so if there are more than 4 players then your going to get some doubling up on "Well Endowed"(DD's).

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-25, 10:42 PM
There is the possibility of not taking any Universal advantages.

Question time!

- If two Miko with Warding Talisman and a third girl all attempt the same Luck roll, would the Miko get -1 and the third girl -2, or is the penalty capped at -1?

Mutazoia
2013-07-25, 10:51 PM
Question time!

On the other hand I could see iincho and sukeban in the same girl: she the strict head of the school moral commitee, a rather violent girl when the need arises, and the need always seems to arise with her. She wants protagonist-kun, but is the type who will try to change him into her perfect view of an upstanding member of the schools moral commitee, by force if necessary.

there technically is precident for a half-foreigner/miko. Although not a girl Tenchi (of Tenchi Muyo fame) is technicallly ok 1/4 foreign (alien) and tends the temple with his grandfater. So more of a priest than a Miko. But I can see a half foreign girl living with her grandparents who tend the local temple.

Illven
2013-07-25, 11:01 PM
There is the possibility of not taking any Universal advantages.

But that's boring!!!! :smalltongue:

Komodo
2013-07-25, 11:13 PM
But that's boring!!!! :smalltongue:

Having to choose a completely unique set of advantages not available to the other characters, and thus making a memorable and unique character, is boring?:smallbiggrin:

Mutazoia
2013-07-26, 09:31 AM
BTW Rainy...every time I see your name I think of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvE892xEDn0)

Mutazoia
2013-07-26, 09:59 AM
Having to choose a completely unique set of advantages not available to the other characters, and thus making a memorable and unique character, is boring?:smallbiggrin:

I think he meant not choosing any universal advantages would be boring.

Komodo
2013-07-26, 10:09 AM
I think he meant not choosing any universal advantages would be boring.

What I said stands, but thinking about it, I suppose that universal advantages would help round off a character. My issue was that it seemed like a lot of players were choosing them, making a large group of athletic, well-endowed girls who cook well (as has been noted above, I believe).

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-26, 10:34 AM
So, here's a possibility. The reason the current universal advantage list is so short is that many of the universal advantages were repurposed as advantages for a particular archetype, so I could just keep going and move all the current universal advantages into new or existing archetypes, doing away with universal advantages altogether.

Question time!

- If two Miko with Warding Talisman and a third girl all attempt the same Luck roll, would the Miko get -1 and the third girl -2, or is the penalty capped at -1?

I honestly hadn't thought about this. I'm inclined to say that it stacks since it seems like the Miko should be better off in that situation than the other girls, but it could be ruled either way. I'm a little hesitant to make a blanket statement that the same advantage can always be stacked like this since I'm not sure if I'm missing anywhere that this could be problematic.

BTW Rainy...every time I see your name I think of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvE892xEDn0)

Not the first time I've been shown that song, but hearing it always makes me feel oddly happy. :smallredface:

Illven
2013-07-26, 02:23 PM
So, here's a possibility. The reason the current universal advantage list is so short is that many of the universal advantages were repurposed as advantages for a particular archetype, so I could just keep going and move all the current universal advantages into new or existing archetypes, doing away with universal advantages altogether.

If you do that, I would recommend adding the ability to pick one trait from a class or personality.

Qwertystop
2013-07-26, 08:59 PM

Just say you can take two archetypes, and the GM can veto unreasonable combinations.

Durazno
2013-07-26, 09:38 PM
And really it should be possible to fluff up combinations of any two, even if one of the archetypes you choose turns out to be your character's surprising depths.

Mutazoia
2013-07-26, 10:22 PM
I was thinking it it would be a good idea to make the current "classes" into more personalities, with the exception of "Idol Singer", "Miko" and "Sense-chan". Those three are actual "professions" while the rest are definitely closer to personalities. If you added more things like the proposed "Sorts Fanatic" and/or "School Journalist" (who is just a nosey busy body that snoops I mean reports for the school news paper)...things that are actually things the girls DO as opposed to the way the act. As it is most girls technically have two personalities and no class.... So they're schitzo-trailer trash anime girls lol You could bust out a copy of Negima and, baring the odd things like the half demon assassin and the ninja (and the vampire and the ghost...and the robot) pretty what the rest of the girls do out side of school would be good ideas for classes...

So some new classes could be:

Sports Fanatic
School Journalist (for the school news paper)
cook (getting a better bonus than, but not stacking with the good cook advantage...member of the cooking club...loves making meals for Protagonist-kun)
Musician (Member of the school light music club (K-on!) but not a famous idol. All the love songs she sings are secretly about protagonist-kun)

Basically anything related to a club activity or actual profession. One could be an assistant to the school nurse and have medical related advantages....just a thought

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-26, 10:32 PM
Sukeban and iinchō are both definitely classes, since they are about what the characters do, even if they are not professions. On the other hand, osananajimi, like half-foreigner, is more of a background archetype, and the others are generally closer to personalities.

Illven
2013-07-26, 10:36 PM
Chuunibyou could also be a "Job" one of the abilities is that you write novels.

Admiral Squish
2013-07-26, 10:41 PM
I was thinking it it would be a good idea to make the current "classes" into more personalities, with the exception of "Idol Singer", "Miko" and "Sense-chan". Those three are actual "professions" while the rest are definitely closer to personalities. If you added more things like the proposed "Sorts Fanatic" and/or "School Journalist" (who is just a nosey busy body that snoops I mean reports for the school news paper)...things that are actually things the girls DO as opposed to the way the act. As it is most girls technically have two personalities and no class.... So they're schitzo-trailer trash anime girls lol You could bust out a copy of Negima and, baring the odd things like the half demon assassin and the ninja (and the vampire and the ghost...and the robot) pretty what the rest of the girls do out side of school would be good ideas for classes...

So some new classes could be:

Sports Fanatic
School Journalist (for the school news paper)
cook (getting a better bonus than, but not stacking with the good cook advantage...member of the cooking club...loves making meals for Protagonist-kun)
Musician (Member of the school light music club (K-on!) but not a famous idol. All the love songs she sings are secretly about protagonist-kun)

Basically anything related to a club activity or actual profession. One could be an assistant to the school nurse and have medical related advantages....just a thought

I think, going by your definition, there could be more than just those three. sukeban's not a club, but it's something you do like a club. Iiinchou is the student council club. I think ojou might still count as a class.

Edit: Ninja'd, it seems...

Maybe if we divide it into three groups, one background, one personality, and one class?

Mutazoia
2013-07-26, 10:55 PM
Chuunibyou could also be a "Job" one of the abilities is that you write novels.

I'm not sure Chuunibyou would count as a class, since basically there you spend a lot of time in your own little world, you just happen to write stories about it. Amature Mangaka would be a job.....

Admiral Squish
2013-07-26, 11:28 PM
Okay, background options already here would be osananajimi, ojou, and half-foreign. We could add a bunch more like yakuza, Dojo's daughter, and I'm sure the thread can come up with more.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-27, 11:23 AM
Just say you can take two archetypes, and the GM can veto unreasonable combinations.

Of all the suggestions I've heard thus far, I think I like this one the best. It's simple, no possibilities will be inherently shut down by the rules, and the GM can let things get as crazy or keep them as orthodox as he wants to. Additionally, it becomes very easy to scale up the diversity of characters by letting people pick advantages from, for instance, three archetypes.

I'll probably switch to doing things this way in the next update, when I'm hoping to also have some new archetypes to introduce.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-27, 02:58 PM
I wonder how much work it would take to use this for a game of serious romantic drama instead of a harem comedy series.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-07-27, 03:18 PM
I wonder how much work it would take to use this for a game of serious romantic drama instead of a harem comedy series.

Roleplay it differently, and maybe take out a few of the classes and personalities. In particular, Cuckoolander and Chuunibyou don't really lend themselves that well to being serious, although if you can pull it off, go for it. How people react to Yanderes would also be drastically different.

Also, while Sukeban does fit as a class, its advantages don't. There's not a single one relating to being anything more than a delinquent. While I like it, it's for the fluff that can be formed around those advantages, not the fluff of being a Sukeban.

Qwertystop
2013-07-27, 03:46 PM
The big problem with a serious drama is fitting in with the whole "all of you want one person and you're competing for him/her." Doesn't really work if you want it taken seriously.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-07-27, 04:06 PM
The big problem with a serious drama is fitting in with the whole "all of you want one person and you're competing for him/her." Doesn't really work if you want it taken seriously.

I feel like the setup would also be different. Instead of just a bunch of loosely connected episodes that are basically about getting the victory point, it would be a largely consistent thing, with the competition interacting with each other, and also roleplaying of scenes where it's just one girl with the protagonist (perhaps after a competition scene where the protagonist walks away with one girl), where you can make rolls against NPCs, the environment, or the protagonist, without being interrupted by the others.

Durazno
2013-07-27, 04:27 PM
Now I'm imagining a smaller-scale game, like with three PCs, that allows three or even four archetypes per character. It'd be like... oh, having a gestalt game with a small number of PCs because the party has to cover its bases, only instead of being skillmonkey/tank/caster, the "bases" would be things like gentle/pervert/weirdo.

the_druid_droid
2013-07-27, 04:37 PM
Now I'm imagining a smaller-scale game, like with three PCs, that allows three or even four archetypes per character. It'd be like... oh, having a gestalt game with a small number of PCs because the party has to cover its bases, only instead of being skillmonkey/tank/caster, the "bases" would be things like gentle/pervert/weirdo.

Sounds like Nyarko-san >.>

"Elder God" is totally a personality, right?

Ionbound
2013-07-27, 05:34 PM
I think it's a race

"Oh, hello there protagonist-kun, would you like to make a deal?"

Hawkflight
2013-07-27, 06:06 PM
I think it's a race

"Oh, hello there protagonist-kun, would you like to make a deal?"

BETRAYAL! /Linkara

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-27, 06:17 PM
I thought shouting "BETRAYAL!" was Spoony's thing.

Hawkflight
2013-07-27, 06:52 PM
Not when it comes to Mephisto. :smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2013-07-27, 09:25 PM
Got bored again lol...

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/88304893/sn/972586050/name/HHC+Character+sheet+test2.jpg

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-27, 09:28 PM
Missing the obligatory blood type field.

Mutazoia
2013-07-27, 09:49 PM
Missing the obligatory blood type field.

eh...90% of the people in Japan are O+ any way lol

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-27, 09:50 PM
Yet you would never know it from the manga character profiles.

Milo v3
2013-07-27, 09:50 PM
Got bored again lol...

It says hight rather than height. Also, we're going to need another one for when races are added.

Mutazoia
2013-07-27, 09:54 PM
It says hight rather than height. Also, we're going to need another one for when races are added.

Yeah noticed and fixed the typo. I'll add the race field when they're added to the game.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-28, 12:56 AM
Hmm, looking at the personalities, Kuudere seemes a bit empty, how about this:

(feel free to alter the name, other considerations were: Is she in the game? and unnoticed romance (or something similar)

Rival or not?: Once per episode the Kuudere can voluntarily fail an opposed roll, and then cause all other girls to suffer -3 to the next opposed roll she partakes in.

The wording needs some cleaning up and can probably use some balancing, but it's a thought.

Mutazoia
2013-07-28, 01:35 AM
Still bored (can't sleep)

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/88304893/sn/1405063526/name/HHC+cover+art.jpg
Rule Book Cover art lol

Milo v3
2013-07-28, 01:44 AM
Still bored (can't sleep)

God, give you another hour and you'll have a pdf. done. :smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2013-07-28, 02:27 AM
God, give you another hour and you'll have a pdf. done. :smalltongue:

Funny you should say that.....

If anybody wants the PDF PM me with your e-mail :biggrin:

JBPuffin
2013-07-28, 04:53 AM
Even if there are mor archtypes to be developed, I'd prefer that Universal Advantages stick around. I look for games that have things that almost everyone can use because it's somewhat more realistic that some people are going to share things without them all being similar (you don't have to be a fighter to use a Greatsword, after all...).

If you do go ahead and make something like a Cook archetype, go ahead and shove Good Cook under it; the others, though, ought to stay Universal, as well as the ones The Druid Droid created (btw, those are quite cool and should be used).

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-29, 12:43 PM
Observation: a Kuudere character with Deep Freeze and Thaw Out will require a minimum of sixteen rolls per episode to make full use of both advantages (one roll to get advantage, three rolls to wait for the duration to run over, four times). An episode of sixteen rolls will put everyone else with limited advantages at a disadvantage (the highest number of uses in a limited advantage is Sealed Power's three per episode, and that is more a passive defense than an active power). I suggest either reducing the penalty's duration, or limiting both Deep Freeze and Thaw Out to one use per episode.

A Rainy Knight
2013-07-31, 11:11 AM
Still working on the next big update!

Observation: a Kuudere character with Deep Freeze and Thaw Out will require a minimum of sixteen rolls per episode to make full use of both advantages (one roll to get advantage, three rolls to wait for the duration to run over, four times). An episode of sixteen rolls will put everyone else with limited advantages at a disadvantage (the highest number of uses in a limited advantage is Sealed Power's three per episode, and that is more a passive defense than an active power). I suggest either reducing the penalty's duration, or limiting both Deep Freeze and Thaw Out to one use per episode.

After thinking about it, I agree with you. I've reduced both of them to one use per episode.

The Master Plan
2013-08-01, 12:14 AM
This needs an Otaku class!

I realized this when I tried to make Kuroneko. The best I can do is Kuudere Chuunibyou. Chuunibyou actually probably suits her better than Otaku, but nevertheless: an Otaku class would be awesome!

Plus an Athlete class. Track/swim/softball stars must have their own special abilities.

The Master Plan
2013-08-01, 12:30 AM
Oh, and so long as there is a "Well-Endowed" advantage, there needs to be a delicious flat chest advantage.

Durazno
2013-08-01, 09:52 PM
That depends on the tastes of the protagonist, doesn't it?

...wait.

Okay, rethinking my notion of protagonist traits - what if they were things that each player chose? That is, after building their character, each player also picks a single trait for the protagonist, presumably one that gives them some situational advantage. That way, protagonist-sama would be defined as a person who would find each of the PCs attractive in different ways!

Mutazoia
2013-08-05, 08:12 PM
Only 1 person wanted the PDF lol...

(BTW this is a bump post)

Komodo
2013-08-05, 08:34 PM
I might be interested, but I'd probably hold out until at least the upcoming rules update.

Incidentally, since ARK was thinking about just merging the classes and personalities into a single pool that could be chosen from, I thought the same thing could be done with the races. That might make it difficult for "Human" which is the only mutually exclusive one, but it might still work if you change the name to "Paranormal Investigator" or "Explorer" or "Plaything of the Universe" or some such. The whole point of the "human" racial template was to give a few advantages that would allow PCs to react to a fantastical setting as an ordinary human would (ie, as sense of species superiority, curiosity over strange new things). Then they'd be free to choose multiple racial templates, such as an Alien Witch or a Vampire Monster Girl. (Actually, angel/demon might be mutually exclusive...then again, japanese culture treats the concepts very differently then Western Culture does, so why not, I've seen weirder.)

Milo v3
2013-08-05, 09:31 PM
Only 1 person wanted the PDF lol...

(BTW this is a bump post)

Probably because you added it as an edit, rather than a new post. I only noticed it by accident.

Mutazoia
2013-08-06, 12:39 AM
(Actually, angel/demon might be mutually exclusive...then again, japanese culture treats the concepts very differently then Western Culture does, so why not, I've seen weirder.)

You've obviously never read Preacher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)) lol

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-15, 07:43 PM
You've obviously never read Preacher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)) lol

You should not be allowed to play as Genesis in a harem comedy. You'd win all verbal arguments, and most non-verbal ones.

((Still waiting for the next big update, by the way.))

Mutazoia
2013-08-23, 12:58 AM
Still waiting for that update my self...

(Bump for the helluvit)

A Rainy Knight
2013-08-23, 10:07 PM
Blargh. I'm sorry for the wait! I've had plenty of things keeping me busy lately plus Internet issues to boot, but once I've moved back to college tomorrow I'll be able to start giving this some real attention again.

I've got the School Journalist, Angel, Demon, Eldritch Abomination, and Alien archetypes more or less worked out; I'd just like to finish a few more so I can add the supernatural archetypes all at once after I revise the archetype rules.

Illven
2013-08-23, 10:40 PM
Blargh. I'm sorry for the wait! I've had plenty of things keeping me busy lately plus Internet issues to boot, but once I've moved back to college tomorrow I'll be able to start giving this some real attention again.

I've got the School Journalist, Angel, Demon, Eldritch Abomination, and Alien archetypes more or less worked out; I'd just like to finish a few more so I can add the supernatural archetypes all at once after I revise the archetype rules.

Will any of the changes affect our characters in your game?

Mutazoia
2013-08-23, 11:52 PM

Don't forget the Sports Fanatic ;)

Looking forward to seeing the new material when ya get the time :)

Esprit15
2013-08-23, 11:57 PM
So wandering the forum leads me to this.

Very interesting. I do agree that Meganekko needs some help being less chance based in some of its abilities (Just as Planned is a great example of something good in it). Rather sad that this kind of game is so rare on the forum, as it looks like a good bit of fun. Would be good as an added rule set in other systems as well, which some people have mentioned before. Looking forward to the next update.

theskorpionking
2013-08-24, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if a cosplayer type might be made in future updates? I was also wondering about an otaku type, I know someone else had also suggested it.

Esprit15
2013-08-24, 01:35 PM
There's enough overlap that I think they would work as one class. Why kind of benefits would cosplayer get? Copying other PC abilities?

theskorpionking
2013-08-24, 01:52 PM
I'm sure allure would play in to effect somehow. Just think of the costumes and being well endowed.

A Rainy Knight
2013-08-24, 02:44 PM
Will any of the changes affect our characters in your game?

I'll let people decide if they want to use the new versions of any advantages I change or if they want to grandfather in the old version.

Don't forget the Sports Fanatic ;)

Looking forward to seeing the new material when ya get the time :)

Ah, yes. I cut that one from an earlier update, but it'll hopefully make its way into this one!

So wandering the forum leads me to this.

Very interesting. I do agree that Meganekko needs some help being less chance based in some of its abilities (Just as Planned is a great example of something good in it). Rather sad that this kind of game is so rare on the forum, as it looks like a good bit of fun. Would be good as an added rule set in other systems as well, which some people have mentioned before. Looking forward to the next update.

Thank you! Revising the Meganekko to be more consistently useful is definitely on my radar.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if a cosplayer type might be made in future updates? I was also wondering about an otaku type, I know someone else had also suggested it.

I would probably wrap cosplayer and otaku into the same archetype, but yes, I think it definitely has potential.

Lentrax
2013-08-24, 03:24 PM
Something like..

Otaku (Personality)

Advantages:

Cosplay The Otaku loves her manga (And don't even get her started on the inconsitencies in Protagonist-kun's favorite serial). In fact, she loves them so much, she decides to make her very own costumes, right from the pages. Once per episode, the Otaku may make a special Allure check. On a success, she gains a +1 bonus to another Allure check made to entice Protagonist-Kun with her... loyal attention to detail. (Or fanservice. You decide.)

Random Trivia The Otaku knows something. About everything. And she cannot help but show off her vast array of jack-of-all-trades knowledge. Twice per episode, the Otaku may add a +1 bonus to an opposed Skill roll as she demonstrates her know-it-all attitude.

Just like the game... The otaku can be a little tomboyish at times, liking to stay indoors and play games or watch anime. But playing all those violent video games has given her an edge, teaching interesting things like survival and targeting skills.
And she plays to win.
Twice per episode, the Otaku can apply up to a total of +3 divided how she wishes amongst any opposed Conflict rolls she makes against her adversaries, as her indomitable gaming spirit comes to the forefront.

Not very balanced, but its a start, right?

Apologies if this was too forward...

theskorpionking
2013-08-25, 03:36 PM
Would the otaku/cosplayer have a skill that involves making their own manga? Or is the otaku/cosplayer going to be part of the personality list?

Moonbeam Funk
2013-08-25, 08:33 PM
I found this thread a couple days ago and I just wanted to pop in to say how much I love it! It's games like this and Maid RPG that I seem to fall in love with often, a simple yet flexible system that's perfect for ridiculously silly fun. I'm actually planning to get some friends together to play this soon, though I was thinking on waiting for your next update before finalizing everything. Although from the sounds of it, the next update is gonna be a while away, which is fine. I'll probably just house rule Personalities and Classes to be merged together as Archetypes in that case, then just deny certain combinations. I'll be sure to post anything particularly relevant in this thread if necessary, or ask questions if I have any. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to the next big update, since I do kinda like the idea of tossing aliens and such into the mix but am hesitant about the versions posted in this thread for balance reasons.

A Rainy Knight
2013-08-25, 08:51 PM
I found this thread a couple days ago and I just wanted to pop in to say how much I love it! It's games like this and Maid RPG that I seem to fall in love with often, a simple yet flexible system that's perfect for ridiculously silly fun. I'm actually planning to get some friends together to play this soon, though I was thinking on waiting for your next update before finalizing everything. Although from the sounds of it, the next update is gonna be a while away, which is fine. I'll probably just house rule Personalities and Classes to be merged together as Archetypes in that case, then just deny certain combinations. I'll be sure to post anything particularly relevant in this thread if necessary, or ask questions if I have any. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to the next big update, since I do kinda like the idea of tossing aliens and such into the mix but am hesitant about the versions posted in this thread for balance reasons.

Thank you very much!

That houserule is pretty much exactly what I'm going to implement, so have at it! I'd be happy to hear how your game goes and answer any questions you have.

A Rainy Knight
2013-08-26, 12:43 PM
So, it's time for a quick mini-update to make sure I get a few things get done in time for the new harem game starting up over in PbP!

-Merged classes and personalities into a single archetype pool, and changed character creation rules to reflect this.
-Revised "Foresight" under the Meganekko archetype.
-Added "Otaku" archetype.

Something like..

Otaku (Personality)

Advantages:

Cosplay The Otaku loves her manga (And don't even get her started on the inconsitencies in Protagonist-kun's favorite serial). In fact, she loves them so much, she decides to make her very own costumes, right from the pages. Once per episode, the Otaku may make a special Allure check. On a success, she gains a +1 bonus to another Allure check made to entice Protagonist-Kun with her... loyal attention to detail. (Or fanservice. You decide.)

Random Trivia The Otaku knows something. About everything. And she cannot help but show off her vast array of jack-of-all-trades knowledge. Twice per episode, the Otaku may add a +1 bonus to an opposed Skill roll as she demonstrates her know-it-all attitude.

Just like the game... The otaku can be a little tomboyish at times, liking to stay indoors and play games or watch anime. But playing all those violent video games has given her an edge, teaching interesting things like survival and targeting skills.
And she plays to win.
Twice per episode, the Otaku can apply up to a total of +3 divided how she wishes amongst any opposed Conflict rolls she makes against her adversaries, as her indomitable gaming spirit comes to the forefront.

Not very balanced, but its a start, right?

Apologies if this was too forward...

No, I appreciate the help! I didn't really use your ideas as-is, but the basic ideas of some of them helped me come up with my own advantages.

Lentrax
2013-08-26, 02:37 PM
Yay! I helped!

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-27, 04:20 PM
You should probably make the "-dere" archetypes incompatible with each other.

Moonbeam Funk
2013-08-27, 05:50 PM
You should probably make the "-dere" archetypes incompatible with each other.

I disagree, and plus that's already settled by the DM being able to veto combos they find incompatible. That being said, I think it's pretty doable to combine things like Yandere and Kuudere easily. Other DMs may disagree with me, but that's why each game is different. Some people think Sensei-chan wouldn't work with some of the other archetypes, and some people think the opposite. That's why combinations are allowed on a case-by-case basis with the DM to begin with.

BWR
2013-08-28, 02:37 AM
This. Is. AWESOME!

Don't think I could find enough people to play with me, though. :smallfrown:

steelsmiter
2013-08-29, 04:57 PM
I was browsing the forums due to not having been here in a long time and deciding that FFd6 is pretty much gone to the crapper. Anyway I had an idea for a game I want to run on Elliquiy called Hentai High. I wanted to make the game somewhat broad in scope. A couple ideas I thought about which may be implemented in my HH game:

Victory for Everyone: Every character keeps multiple VP tallies, not just against the protagonist, but against each other. The girls can win VP against each other by participating in Conflict scenarios to assert their dominance (possibly causing the other girl to question her heterosexuality), or Allure scenarios against lesbians.

VP based Romance: Whenever a character gets 5 (or 10) VP vs someone, they may enter a sexual scene with them. Their VP vs each other resets to 0. Whether or not this causes a scene to change depends on the GM or the protagonist kuns reaction (likely the same thing)

Tentacle Monsters: Failing a conflict or skill roll against any sexual monster causes 1 "Antagonist VP". Every Antagonist VP gained moves the target one step closer to being brainwashed into a mindless plaything (Which takes a number of AVP equal to the VP required to end an episode). Whenever the monster has any Antagonist VP, the other players must win a number of conflict or skill rolls against it equal to that value to defeat the monster. If the protagonist participates, he rolls at +1 unless other rules for the protagonist are in play. At the end of the battle, the monster's accumulated AVP is split amongst the players

EDIT:
Dungeon Crawls: Each room is a Conflict or Skill check. Possibly Allure if there's monsters in the area that can be drawn to a trap in the area, or an ambush set by the other players

Each room has a Challenge Tally: A numerical total that must be met to move to the next area. in each room the GM rolls 1d6+1 for the D (or leaves it at 4). So players may fail the rolls and still add to the challenge tally (This is different from AVP in that AVP requires a certain number of successes for boss monsters to be defeated defeat)

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 02:25 PM
So I have a notion for another mechanic.

Note - since one of the very first comments was AuraTwilight intending to start up an all-boys game and it brightened my day so much, I'm sticking to gender-neutral or alternating language. The game becomes a lot more interesting when you assume that any combination of genders and sexes are possible among the characters. Does this mean I should alternate between Protagonist-kun and Protagonist-chan...?

Edit: Apart from spoilering it to be more considerate of forumspace, I added a few to the list and made some more general. I think this is closer to a usable list.

Anyway...

Protagonist Traits

Sometimes our protagonist isn't just a meek, colorless milquetoast, and has some quirks or interests that set him/her apart from the rest of the genre and show us what their appeal might be to the harem. This system can add interest to the character of Protagonist-kun and add variety to multiple rounds of the game.

As with character traits, the number of protagonist traits is pretty much arbitrary, but one rule of thumb is to have as many traits as there are player characters, or one more. This way, you can try to ensure that none of the PCs have an unfair advantage by using the traits to give a reason that each of them would appeal to Protagonist-kun.

How careful you are when you choose traits, and how hard you work to make them form a coherent character, is entirely up to you and your group. After all, the protagonist is rarely the selling point of harem anime. That said, it will probably be easier for your players to get into the game if they can understand what their characters see in our hero/ine.

One last note: many of these traits can be used to create a character who isn't exactly a choice catch. Well, love is blind, after all.

So here are some examples. though I'm noticing now that they're pretty "allure" heavy:

Hobbyist: Choose a task or interest, which could be anything from cooking to board games to a particular celebrity to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Protagonist-kun is all about this kind of thing, and PCs who share his interest get a +1 to allure checks in a scene where they both enthuse about his interest. Additionally, if a PC is attempting a task in this area and the protagonist is helping them, they get a +2 bonus to their roll.

Fetishist: Pick a particular quality that a person of the protagonist's preferred gender might have, which could be anything from glasses to long legs to freckles to cat ears and beyond. Any character who has this quality gets a +2 bonus to allure checks where the protagonist is concerned.

Otaku: The protagonist is completely obsessed with something. (Not sure about this one. I was imagining it as a more intense version of either Hobbyist or Fetishist, but now I'm not sure.)

Unforgiving: If some slight or insult during this scene has given your character a penalty to checks when interacting with the protagonist, the penalty lasts through the next scene.

Gentle: Every character gets a +1 bonus to checks to gain sympathy from the protagonist.

Thick-headed: All characters take a -1 penalty to allure checks with the protagonist when they are trying to be at all subtle. If they're basically throwing their undergarments at him, then either the penalty doesn't apply or the protagonist is calling the cops.

Accidental Pervert: Every character gets a +1 bonus to luck rolls to be caught in a compromising circumstance with the protagonist. This stacks with any traits the PCs have, so there will probably be a lot of tripping and groping going on.

Insecure: Choose a task, interest or hobby. If a PC shows the protagonist up with a spectacular skill or luck check, seeming to demonstrate superior skill or knowledge in this area (whether or not this is actually the case), they suffer a -1 penalty to allure rolls towards him for the rest of the scene.

Really Seriously Insecure: As above, but it applies in any area, not just a given one.

Horndog: Every character of the protagonist's preferred gender gets a +1 to allure roles when dealing with him or her.

Wandering Eye: It can be hard to keep the protagonist's attention sometimes. Pick some kind of character or object (attractive members of the protagonist's preferred gender are a popular choice.) As long as a PC is sharing the scene with these characters or objects, he or she suffers a -1 penalty to any rolls to interact with the protagonist.

Heroic: If a player character or innocent bystander is in danger, the protagonist immediately drops what she's doing and tries to help them, regardless of the risk to herself. The rolls required for a given rescue are not pre-determined by this trait, of course, but any PC can be awarded VP for helping the protagonist in her mission or being rescued themselves.

Villainous: The protagonist has some dastardly plan that may soon come to fruition. Player characters can gain VP for aiding in his machinations, but may just decide to reconsider their pursuit.

That kind of thing.

I'm probably going to use this (in addition to VP for everyone) for my Hentai High game on Elliquiy, but I haven't decide yet

Hemnon
2013-08-30, 02:38 PM
We need a Lolita Archetype (not in the underaged version, just small, cute and oh so adorable)

no idea what stuff there should be for advantages and stuff. just miss it from the list:smallbiggrin:

Esprit15
2013-08-30, 02:55 PM
We need a Lolita Archetype (not in the underaged version, just small, cute and oh so adorable)

no idea what stuff there should be for advantages and stuff. just miss it from the list:smallbiggrin:

Probably a lot of avoiding conflict and using allure.

Hemnon
2013-08-30, 03:24 PM

her immature body has it's own benefits, yes :p and just to adorable to argue with:smallbiggrin:

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 04:08 PM

You know that could be the benefit tied to someone of "Lesser Endowments" as was discussed above...

Esprit15
2013-08-30, 04:12 PM
You know that could be the benefit tied to someone of "Lesser Endowments" as was discussed above...

Probably would be. Same benefit as Well Endowed, but different fluff. Cannot be taken with Well Endowed. Alternately, A-cup Angst: +2/3 (Not sure if +3 is OP, but it targets one specific feature, so it seems safe) bonus on Conflict rolls against Well Endowed characters.

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 05:13 PM
Probably would be. Same benefit as Well Endowed, but different fluff. Cannot be taken with Well Endowed. Alternately, A-cup Angst: +2/3 (Not sure if +3 is OP, but it targets one specific feature, so it seems safe) bonus on Conflict rolls against Well Endowed characters.

Actually compared to the original Well Endowed ability, +2 is OP

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 05:20 PM
How about dis?
Flat as a Board: once per session, you may take -2 on Conflict rolls and +2 on Allure rolls as you use your thin figure to draw on the Protagonist's sympathies.

Esprit15
2013-08-30, 05:25 PM
Actually compared to the original Well Endowed ability, +2 is OP

Yes, but that's a general trait compared to an archetype trait. Many of them do give a +2 to specific types of rolls. Yandere comes to mind as one that gives three different ones.

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 05:34 PM
Yes, but that's a general trait compared to an archetype trait. Many of them do give a +2 to specific types of rolls. Yandere comes to mind as one that gives three different ones.

Sure and if Well Endowed is a general trait, so is Flat as a Board. I see we've confused the two subjects. It doesn't make much sense to me to give the Lolita discussed above abilities that are tied purely to physique. Fashion choice? Sure. Personality? Bring it.

Granted if the creator of the system goes for it I'd abide by it.

Esprit15
2013-08-30, 05:36 PM
I was thinking Lolita would be its own archetype.

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 05:43 PM
I'm aware. Fair enough, but there was also a discussion of the inverse of well endowed. That's why I wrote Flat as a Board that way. In any case, I do think part of being cute or adorable does involve a fashion choice for example. I think there should be two separate abilities based on whether you decide to go "punk" or "pink" as it were. They should apply different bonuses.

A Rainy Knight
2013-08-30, 09:28 PM
@steelsmiter: I hope my system makes a useful foundation for whatever you've got planned! It might be a little much for me to actually add to the system here, though.

I don't think this is a good idea, mostly since having a permanent modifier on Conflict against only a particular opponent encourages you to bully them at every chance. Conflict is, at least in my head, a means for the players to slow down whoever's gaining a clear lead in VP, so I'd like the advantages to be useful against all opponents.

But anyways... I could see Lolita working as an archetype. I probably won't get around to it until the supernatural expansion is done, though.

Illven
2013-08-30, 09:30 PM
But anyways... I could see Lolita working as an archetype. I probably won't get around to it until the supernatural expansion is done, though.

Is that after the Xp expansion?

steelsmiter
2013-08-30, 11:12 PM
@steelsmiter: I hope my system makes a useful foundation for whatever you've got planned! It might be a little much for me to actually add to the system here, though.

Haha! it is a rather large chunk. Right now I'm just using VP for Everyone and VP Based Romance. It's a group game and I'm allowing everyone to do whatever with everyone as long as they have the VP for it to be appropriate. I've gotten three bites, but the third one submitted a character without reading the rules:

Name: Nathaniel Makenzie
Description: image provided, 5ft 9, well toned frame
Archtype: popular guy (sports captain, loved by female students, nice guy to all) forighen exchange (exotic looks, speaks other languages)
Strong point: highly social
Weak point: new to the area
Victory points: confidence boost

Yep. All of it.

You didn't read anything at all in the link to Giant in the Playground Forums I provided in the first post. You should be using Archetypes under the Archetypes List spoiler and your strong and weak points need to be tied directly to one of the four rolls discussed under the Players Guide and The Four Rolls spoilers. If you want to play a guy, you should probably be a Half Foreigner (with any of their abilities), Pervert (since it has three of the 5 options for playing males)<side note, I allow players that pick 3 out of 5 specific abilities to play non-protagonist males>

In any case I wish there were more Elliquiy members on here.

Amechra
2013-08-31, 01:44 AM
Part of me wants to change the resolution system for this over to glorious, glorious... JANSEN!

I mean, Moe-Tan shows that you can build a stat-based game that still has Rock-Paper-Scissors for resolution... heck, I could adapt the entire thing over in my week break I have starting this morning.

steelsmiter
2013-08-31, 06:22 PM
Would anyone object to me doing a quick writeup of the Persona High Arcanas, as well as which character types fit them best and what Roll Modifiers are suggested for the Arcana?

If so, I'd use them as part of my Dungeon Crawling rule, and expand on the rule.

Lentrax
2013-09-04, 02:14 PM
So, Rainy, I had a thought.

I recall you mentioning the rampant use of Universal Advantages and were looking for a way to minimize that.

What about something make character creation limited to six advantages. Then in order to select a Universal Advantage, you have to forfeit an additional Advantage for each Universal you wanted to take?

Meaning you would only have five Advantages. Four Archetype, and One Universal.

It would limit the number people could reasonably take, since to take more than two would constitute a serious gamble on the part of the player, since they would have only four advantages compared to the others.

But to compensate, the Universal Advantages could have a smaller secondary bonus. For example, Well Endowed could easily get a +1 bonus to some conflict rolls when trying to remove Protagonist-kun from the clutches of another girl.

Just a quick thought.

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-04, 04:07 PM
I'm honestly considering just getting rid of Universal Advantages altogether. In the original version of the game, you only got to choose one archetype for your character, so I provided a larger pool of Universal Advantages to give people some more choices to make their characters unique. But now that everyone gets two archetypes' worth of advantages to choose from, there really isn't as much of a need for the Universal Advantages, since there's a lot of variety to be had between genki childhood friends, shrinking violet childhood friends, and yandere childhood friends. :smalltongue:

One thought I had was to change to a system where you have five Archetype Advantages drawn from your two archetypes and one Quirk Advantage that can be drawn from any archetype in the game.

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 04:33 PM
Quirk advantages are good. I'd say just having General be options for that quirk as well. Keeps things that really are too general to categorize, while still not making a bunch of well endowed genius athletic cooks.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-04, 06:03 PM
Actually, I think Athletic could get its own Archetype in Sports Club President, or be a subtype of a more general Skill bonus Advantage for a Club President Archetype. And I don't really think Sweet Tooth really deserves an Advantage (it is a common trait, but it's not really something that should give an edge, I don't think).

Well-Endowed and Good Cook still get left out, and Good Cook, in particular, I feel should remain universal anyway. Well-Endowed, I don't really think about that much because it doesn't cater to me, personally, so I'd be OK even if we removed it altogether.

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 06:14 PM
Good Cook (and maybe Sweet Tooth, because why not) could lead to a simple cooking or house work focused archetype.

Well Endowed is a problem still. Maybe it would just be best left as a "Anyone can take it" thing. Kind of clunky, but eh.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-04, 06:17 PM
I think the best way of handling Well-Endowed while still keeping it is limiting it to one cast member, personally. Like, everyone else might have a nice figure, but that one character is like YOWZA!, and the others just pale in comparison.

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-04, 06:20 PM
Athletic is definitely getting moved to Sports Star. Good Cook might fall under a 'yamato nadeshiko' sort of archetype if I do one of those in the future. I agree that Sweet Tooth could be dispensed with pretty easily.

What do you think about moving Well Endowed to the Half-Foreign archetype?

steelsmiter
2013-09-04, 06:27 PM
One thought I had was to change to a system where you have five Archetype Advantages drawn from your two archetypes and one Quirk Advantage that can be drawn from any archetype in the game.

I vote that one, except that I would prefer the option to take from Universals as well, personally.

Also I'm compiling lists of subtypes (for my game only), where the player can pick 3 of 5 options to be the subtype. Examples include

Male Non-Protagonist
Imouto
Mama-san

I think I got the 5 choices for MNP and Imouto listed here in previous pages, maybe not. I might have them on my E game advertisement thread. I don't have Mama-san yet, but I have several eroge games I can draw inspiration from so the decision process wouldn't be too much.

Anyway the rule above where you can pick one Quirk Advantage from another class makes it really easy for me because I can then draw from 3 archetypes or more to make the subtypes. I hope this isn't too much of a bother.

Athletic is definitely getting moved to Sports Star. Good Cook might fall under a 'yamato nadeshiko' sort of archetype if I do one of those in the future. I agree that Sweet Tooth could be dispensed with pretty easily.

Yes and the one that's accident prone is also a distinct possibility as well... Why? Too top heavy

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-04, 06:34 PM

On the one hand, it does follow certain stereotypes. On the other hand, I've seen more than my share of examples where Ms. Fanservice is not the half-foreigner character. The Quirk Advantage thing should allow characters who don't have Half-Foreign to take it regardless, but the main problem is that I feel everyone would take it anyway, disregarding other Advantages with far more personality behind them.

Frankly, I think that is my problem with Well-Endowed. It says nothing about the character's personality, just her looks. Maybe if it was less about having a specific figure, and more about flaunting one's looks, regardless of what those looks are (something like, say, Shameless Fanservice), that would work better.

An example is Jessica and Maria from Aoi House. Maria is the better-endowed of the two, but since she is actually kind of ashamed about it, she doesn't get to be Ms. Fanservice, while Jessica does. The secondary Ms. Fanservice in the series is Elle, who, as a synchronized swimmer, is actually rather slender, but she can dole out fanservice even without meaning to because of her utter disregard for social conventions and any guys around.

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 06:40 PM
Maybe put it in as "Miss Fanservice" under Pervert? "Whether by natural gifts, working what you were born with, you have a way of sticking out in someone's mind. +1 to all Allure rolls of those attracted to your sex."

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-04, 06:42 PM
Frankly, I think that is my problem with Well-Endowed. It says nothing about the character's personality, just her looks. Maybe if it was less about having a specific figure, and more about flaunting one's looks, regardless of what those looks are (something like, say, Shameless Fanservice), that would work better.

An example is Jessica and Maria from Aoi House. Maria is the better-endowed of the two, but since she is actually kind of ashamed about it, she doesn't get to be Ms. Fanservice, while Jessica does. The secondary Ms. Fanservice in the series is Elle, who, as a synchronized swimmer, is actually rather slender, but she can dole out fanservice even without meaning to because of her utter disregard for social conventions and any guys around.

Mmm, I think you've convinced me. That's why...

Maybe put it in as "Miss Fanservice" under Pervert?

...I think this would be a pretty good solution, using a "shameless fanservice" kind of advantage.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-04, 06:43 PM
I expect a "Special Thanks To" section in the credits, just so you know! :smalltongue:

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 06:48 PM
I expect a "Special Thanks To" section in the credits, just so you know! :smalltongue:

I meanwhile ask for nothing in return! Though I did edit my post to have a bit of flavor text.

Mutazoia
2013-09-04, 06:57 PM
I meanwhile ask for nothing in return! Though I did edit my post to have a bit of flavor text.

Then I'll be sure to leave you out when I do the next PDF lol :smallwink:

steelsmiter
2013-09-04, 06:59 PM

Yes and the one that's accident prone Dojikki is also a distinct possibility as well... Why? Too Top Heavy

Maybe put it in as "Miss Fanservice" under Pervert?

Actually this is an argument in favor of Universality. I still like Quirks though, and I think that if several Archetypes have the same benefit, you pretty much can do away with Universals. I'd need both Sweet Tooth and Good Cook though for my Sensei-chan, pick the cooking archetype as my second archetype and grab the Cuckoolander Non Sequitur ability as my Quirk

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-04, 07:06 PM
So there's this thing. I like some of the advantages of Yandere (Armed And Dangerous and Terrifying Presence) for a brawler, but I would never play Yandere. Any way to implement those into other Archetypes?

...Actually, I think this just proves that the Quirk Advantage is a good idea. I could be a Kuudere Bokukko and grab an advantage from Yandere or Sukeban.

Durazno
2013-09-04, 07:12 PM
Quirk advantages seem ideal to me, too.

I would add that the "Well-Endowed" advantage can mean different things fluffwise depending on what sorts of body types the protagonist is attracted to. I mean, it's genre appropriate, but in an all-boys game it might be washboard abs, or in another game it might be rockin' hips or muscular arms or what-have-you.

Perhaps the specific trait could be left to the players who select Well-Endowed.

steelsmiter
2013-09-04, 07:19 PM
That's why I suggested that Well Endowed be placed in several archetypes, with different names for each.

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 07:29 PM
That's why I suggested that Well Endowed be placed in several archetypes, with different names for each.

And why I left it vague, aside from it being an attractive trait, or making a trait look good.

steelsmiter
2013-09-04, 07:53 PM
You know after a few interwebs searches I'm about to come to the conclusion that Kyonyuu(sp?) Heroine might be a worthy archetype.

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 07:54 PM
You know after a few interwebs searches I'm about to come to the conclusion that Kyonyuu(sp?) Heroine might be a worthy archetype.

Mind explaining for those of us not in the loop?

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-04, 08:05 PM
Mind explaining for those of us not in the loop?

巨乳 kyonyuu = big breasts.

By the way, this also leads me to wonder... do you think I should put English equivalents with any of the archetypes for clarity along with the actual description of the archetype? I enjoy using the Japanese terms for flavor, and I'd imagine that ones like tsundere and yandere are pretty well-known, but I don't think ones like sukeban or iinchou are as commonly understood.

Moonbeam Funk
2013-09-04, 08:13 PM
I actually really like Universal Advantages the way they are, I just think that we need more to reduce the cases of people all taking the same ones. People using them, or even taking a lot of them, shouldn't be a problem as long as not too many people take the same exact one. Like I have a player in one of my groups right now who's taking 3 Universal Advantages, but I'm entirely fine with it since it's actually unique for them due to the other players in his group not having any so far except for one who also has Athletic. If it fits the player's concept and all the characters will still be very different from one another, I have no problems with someone taking even multiple Universal Advantages.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-04, 08:23 PM
Fine for you, but if it stays the way it is, I'm taking Well-Endowed, because this is the tomboy pic I've got:
http://www.hdwallpapers.in/wallpapers/tomb_raider_2013_art-1280x800.jpg
I would say those are at least Ds.

Moonbeam Funk
2013-09-04, 08:29 PM
Oh, and out of all 10 of my players only 1 person so far has taken Well-Endowed, so I don't think that advantage being crowded is a problem in every single group that plays this game.

Esprit15
2013-09-04, 09:16 PM
@ Rainy: That would be helpful. Even if most people who play this are big enough fans to know most of the terms, some of us (*raises hand*) don't.

steelsmiter
2013-09-04, 09:18 PM
巨乳 kyonyuu = big breasts.

By the way, this also leads me to wonder... do you think I should put English equivalents with any of the archetypes for clarity along with the actual description of the archetype? I enjoy using the Japanese terms for flavor, and I'd imagine that ones like tsundere and yandere are pretty well-known, but I don't think ones like sukeban or iinchou are as commonly understood.
I'd do a parenthetical for all of them. I have been told that's one of the reasons for the last player of the first class to have stalled out in the Creation process. They simply don't know. One of my other players pointed them to the first two obvious options related to their character's personality, I pointed out a third.

I actually really like Universal Advantages the way they are, I just think that we need more to reduce the cases of people all taking the same ones. People using them, or even taking a lot of them, shouldn't be a problem as long as not too many people take the same exact one. Like I have a player in one of my groups right now who's taking 3 Universal Advantages, but I'm entirely fine with it since it's actually unique for them due to the other players in his group not having any so far except for one who also has Athletic. If it fits the player's concept and all the characters will still be very different from one another, I have no problems with someone taking even multiple Universal Advantages.
I agree, though I prefer two over three. I still like Quirks though. Especially if the current Universals are divided amongst Archetypes and as I said, multiple instances of Well Endowed (possibly under several different names) exist so that you can get the flavor, whether you're Foreign, or Ms. Fanservice, or you're Klutzy because you're Too Top Heavy.

Oh, and out of all 10 of my players only 1 person so far has taken Well-Endowed, so I don't think that advantage being crowded is a problem in every single group that plays this game.
Indeed. I only have 1 Well Endowed girl.

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-04, 09:54 PM
@ Rainy: That would be helpful. Even if most people who play this are big enough fans to know most of the terms, some of us (*raises hand*) don't.

This is done! Mostly, at least.

Also, since it's been a while since I added anything new, I'd like to introduce the first completed supernatural archetype: the Eldritch Abomination! Now Nyarko (http://i.imgur.com/REbPVhu.gif) can come and torment your protagonists, too. :smalltongue:

Moonbeam Funk
2013-09-04, 10:00 PM
I think, as has been pointed out multiple times, that "Well-Endowed" isn't a good name for an advantage because protagonist-kuns all have different tastes. There's certainly plenty of harem anime with emphasis on the sexual appeal of those... Less endowed. I think a generic name like "Attractive" would work well enough, and just generally mean that whatever their body looks like is something that happens to appeal to the protagonist.

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-04, 10:02 PM
I think, as has been pointed out multiple times, that "Well-Endowed" isn't a good name for an advantage because protagonist-kuns all have different tastes. There's certainly plenty of harem anime with emphasis on the sexual appeal of those... Less endowed. I think a generic name like "Attractive" would work well enough, and just generally mean that whatever their body looks like is something that happens to appeal to the protagonist.

Indeed. Like I mentioned, it's on the list of things to be changed.

Durazno
2013-09-05, 12:47 AM
The Protagonist Traits idea turned out to be more awkward than I thought. I still really like the idea of different protagonist-kuns having different global effects on the game, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

The traits I had before that basically said "You get a bonus to X rolls in given circumstances" are probably unbalanced. I can see two different ways around it:

1) The protagonists have archetypes that don't offer bonuses or penalties on specific types of rolls. They might be vague, like a spineless protagonist who's easy to scare and bully or a protagonist who needs to be smacked by a clue-by-four before consciously realizing that you're flirting with him (but can still be influenced with allure otherwise.) Another way to do this one would be kind of Storyteller System - have a set of virtues ("why do your characters want this person, generally?") and obstacles ("what about this situation or person is a problem for your characters, generally?") to choose from.

2) Ensure that there is at least one circumstance that grants a bonus to each of the four stats. These could either come bundled in archetype sets or mixed and matched. (There doesn't need to be four circumstances, of course - you could pin multiple stats to a given circumstance, such as getting a penalty to conflict and allure rolls when dealing with a cranky night owl early in the morning.)

I suppose it would also depend on whether the players build protagonist-kun, and if they don't, whether they meet him/her before or after making their character. (I'm kind of snickering, imagining a deck of cards full of various anime-standard fetishes that the character might have.)

I just want a way to model things like "Sasuke is proud and prickly, and will be hard to deal with if you show him up," or "Kyoko loves a good fight and might be impressed by people who stand up to her." Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Esprit15
2013-09-05, 01:05 AM
The Protagonist Traits idea turned out to be more awkward than I thought. I still really like the idea of different protagonist-kuns having different global effects on the game, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

The traits I had before that basically said "You get a bonus to X rolls in given circumstances" are probably unbalanced. I can see two different ways around it:

1) The protagonists have archetypes that don't offer bonuses or penalties on specific types of rolls. They might be vague, like a spineless protagonist who's easy to scare and bully or a protagonist who needs to be smacked by a clue-by-four before consciously realizing that you're flirting with him (but can still be influenced with allure otherwise.) Another way to do this one would be kind of Storyteller System - have a set of virtues ("why do your characters want this person, generally?") and obstacles ("what about this situation or person is a problem for your characters, generally?") to choose from.

2) Ensure that there is at least one circumstance that grants a bonus to each of the four stats. These could either come bundled in archetype sets or mixed and matched. (There doesn't need to be four circumstances, of course - you could pin multiple stats to a given circumstance, such as getting a penalty to conflict and allure rolls when dealing with a cranky night owl early in the morning.)

I suppose it would also depend on whether the players build protagonist-kun, and if they don't, whether they meet him/her before or after making their character. (I'm kind of snickering, imagining a deck of cards full of various anime-standard fetishes that the character might have.)

I just want a way to model things like "Sasuke is proud and prickly, and will be hard to deal with if you show him up," or "Kyoko loves a good fight and might be impressed by people who stand up to her." Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

The thing is, that kind of thing is just as easily done through RP. Oh, you're gonna make a fool out of the proud protagonist-kun during a sport? Good luck getting him to like that *raises future allure DC's by 2 for that day*. It's one of those things that is probably best left to the GM.

Alternately, I am missing the point entirely.

Illven
2013-09-05, 01:23 AM
The thing is, that kind of thing is just as easily done through RP. Oh, you're gonna make a fool out of the proud protagonist-kun during a sport? Good luck getting him to like that *raises future allure DC's by 2 for that day*. It's one of those things that is probably best left to the GM.

Alternately, I am missing the point entirely.

But that can make it seem favoritism in nature.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-05, 08:00 AM
This is done! Mostly, at least.

Also, since it's been a while since I added anything new, I'd like to introduce the first completed supernatural archetype: the Eldritch Abomination! Now Nyarko (http://i.imgur.com/REbPVhu.gif) can come and torment your protagonists, too. :smalltongue:

Yaaaay I can now play Saya!

Hemnon
2013-09-05, 08:39 AM
I had a good idea: In order to take 'universal traits' you have to take a 'quirky flaw' to balance it out.

basicly a flaw could be: a complex about breast-size, Inattentive, short, accident-prone (in the bad 'burning hot soup in the lap of protagonist-kun' sorta way) etc.

it'd be a nice balance and it'd give the characters more 'life' to them if they have something that's not perfect or below sub-par. this could of course also be something like 'chronic sickness' where you either get a penalty to athletic rolls or a total ban on doing such (maybe a heart condition or severe asthma).

but hey, i just enjoy playing a girl with nicely-sized assets:smallcool:

theskorpionking
2013-09-05, 08:43 AM
...I think this would be a pretty good solution, using a "shameless fanservice" kind of advantage.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by throwing in my two cents worth on the well endowed debate. If it were to be put under any archetype, sure the sports one would work, but it would work better under the otaku archetype. Especially if you were to call it "fanservice", since under the otaku skills is cosplay. And sorry if it had already been brought up.

steelsmiter
2013-09-05, 08:54 AM
Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by throwing in my two cents worth on the well endowed debate. If it were to be put under any archetype, sure the sports one would work, but it would work better under the otaku archetype. Especially if you were to call it "fanservice", since under the otaku skills is cosplay.

Yet a 4th valid category!

Mutazoia
2013-09-05, 09:04 AM
Hmmm.....

With the addition of the more supernatural archetypes I for-see possible complications. Namely people choosing those more often than the "normal" archetypes. Sure a GM can simply say "no supernatural's for this game", but if they ARE allowed it's very possible that not many players will choose a Yandere Miko if they can play a Eldrich Abomination Magical girl. Once you start adding in racial archetypes things are going to get really fun. I would suggest limiting players to only one supernatural Archetype (Magical Girl would probably be a class archetype)...or leaving the supernatural archetypes out and putting them all in the first HHC expansion book.

As it is, I for-see players needing to choose 3 archetypes, one "personality" archetype, one "racial" archetype and one "class" archetype. (e.i Shrinking-violet Eldrich Abomination Idol-Singer).

Hytheter
2013-09-05, 09:31 AM
As it is, I for-see players needing to choose 3 archetypes, one "personality" archetype, one "racial" archetype and one "class" archetype. (e.i Shrinking-violet Supernatural Abomination Idol-Singer).

How do you figure?
The line between a class and a personality as defined by archetypes is blurred to begin with.
Race is clearer as a separate component, but realistically only defines the other aspects; an android could be calculating and rational (personality) or it could have mechanical precision with certain tasks (class). A demonic girl could be mean and spiteful (personality) or have magical power (class).
And I can't imagine why you'd need three archetypes really, especially with the proposed "quirk" idea. A sufficiently diverse character ceases fitting any archetype at all, you might as well just have every advantage available to be cherry picked to begin with.

Really, I think the 2 archetype system with GM veto is elegant in its simplicity, allowing a wide range of character abilities without overcomplicating the process.

Mutazoia
2013-09-05, 10:33 AM
Ah but "Demon Girl" is neither a personality (a way she behaves) nor a Class (an activity she does/enjoys). So while you could have a Demon Girl Miko, she would void of any "personality" traits (other than those RP'd) or you could have a Dojikko Demon Girl (which would fit the current character creation rules), but then she wouldn't actually DO anythng but go to school and chase Protagonist-kun.

As it stands now, about half the archetypes are personalities and the rest are classes. There's nothing against taking two personality archetypes or two class archetypes with GM approval but you get more character depth taking one of each. If you add in racial archetypes you get even greater character depth taking one of each (personality, race, class).

Now granted archetypes like Eldrich Abomination don't really NEED a class. They're ancient powerful beings that are just after Protagonist-kun to ease the boredom of yet another eon of existence...but even Yidhra (http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/books/necro_proj/yidhra.html) would realize that Protagonist-kun is more likely to fall for a girl that at least has a hobby and does more than show up for school and then disappear's at the end of the day.

Esprit15
2013-09-05, 10:49 AM
But these are just the traits pronounced enough to actually offer a mechanical benefit. You can still be a good student or play a sport, but it isn't to the point of adding a bonus to rolls or messing with the rolls of others. You can be clumsy, but it isn't as endearingly clumsy as if you took the archetype for it (though still could work to your advantage).

Mutazoia
2013-09-05, 11:33 AM
True.

But was thinking of a lot of harem manga/anime out there (with super-natural characters).

Let's take Negima! for example. Nearly every girl in Negi's class wants to be his girl friend. Every girl has a personality, and every girl has a class (club activity or actual job). Several of the girls also are not human: There's a Robot, a half-demon, a vampire, a ghost. Even the robot Chachamaru has a personality and a class (closest to a maid or servent class as she serves the vampire Evangeline A.K. McDowell who in turn would have a class like witch or sorceress).

So we can see that having a race a class and a personality would be sticking close to the source material....Manga.

(Now if the game DOESN'T include super-natural archetypes then you can dispense with choosing a race all together and stick with the standard 2 archetype combination.)

Mutazoia
2013-09-05, 11:59 AM
And just in case anybody's interested, I've done a "mini" update to the PDF to include Otaku and Eldritch Abomination.

steelsmiter
2013-09-05, 02:18 PM
And just in case anybody's interested, I've done a "mini" update to the PDF to include Otaku and Eldritch Abomination.

Yes of course.

Moonbeam Funk
2013-09-05, 03:39 PM
I think being able to take 1 "Quirk Advantage" from another archetype isn't necessarily a bad idea, although I'd prefer it be more like an optional rule variant than one in the main game. That's just my take on it, though. I just think lots of games would want to take sticking only to your archetype more seriously than other ones, but either way a GM would be able to veto certain combos. I'm positive there's some really game-breaking combinations you could create by taking a Quirk Advantage with the right set, which is why it's a good thing GMs exist.

steelsmiter
2013-09-06, 03:09 PM
Hmm, I suppose that's a possibility. You could probably make some more diverse characters if you did a rule variant where you could draw advantages from multiple archetypes, but at the end of the day, this is a pretty stereotypically anime-styled game.

Now that I think about it, I might want to think of any other rule variants that might be fun...

Hentai High Subtypes
Male Non-Protagonist
Picking three of the following abilities allow the option to play a secondary male: Panty Thief, Peeping Tom, Wandering hands, Boyish Charm, One of the guys. This means that non-protagonist guys are most often Pervert/Bokukkos.

Imouto (Little Sister)
Picking three of the following abilities allows your character to be Imouto to the Protagonist-kun: Gift Giver, Less is More, Vulnerable, Scaredy-Cat, or the entire Osananajimi Archetype.

Mamasan
Picking three of the following abilities allows your character to be the Protagonist’s mother: Gift Giver, Murderous Love, Playful Blackmail, Verbal Barrage, The entire Genki Archetype, Get Wasted (Particularly odious when combined with certain Genki abilities), Scolding. This means that Mamasan generally pick two of Tsundere, Yandere, Genki, Osananajimi, or Sensei-chan

Note: I couldn't decide on 5 abilities for Imouto and Mamasan, because I've played so much eroge that I can provide examples of characters from them that had any given combination I've presented.

Illven
2013-09-06, 03:19 PM
Hentai High Subtypes
Male Non-Protagonist
Picking three of the following abilities allow the option to play a secondary male: Panty Thief, Peeping Tom, Wandering hands, Boyish Charm, One of the guys. This means that non-protagonist guys are most often Pervert/Bokukkos.

Aren't genders usually inter-changeable assuming DM approval :smallconfused:

steelsmiter
2013-09-06, 03:20 PM

I don't approve anyone who doesn't have at least 3 masculine ablities. Also read very closely where I quoted the creator of the system.

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-06, 04:44 PM

Yeah. Pretty much everything is okay given GM approval. Even the number of archetypes and advantages allowed is just a guideline for GMs who don't have any strong feelings about the matter.

steelsmiter
2013-09-07, 01:31 AM
well, I did end up with a couple Sweet Tooth characters and a couple Good Cooks. (one character had both, another two characters had each individually) I don't mind that since the teacher is Home Ec teacher though.

steelsmiter
2013-09-07, 02:13 PM
Hey, I was thinking about Protagonist traits and wondered if maybe it might not be a bad idea to make them where they cause penalties in certain narrow circumstances (rather than broad strokes) instead?

Amechra
2013-09-07, 02:20 PM
Or you could make it so that, I don't know, they were traits you could "activate" every so often.

As in, everyone has access to those traits and can "claim" them over the course of the game (unless you have a trait that directly counteracts that "appeal".)

Like, I don't know, you could trigger his obliviousness to block someone else's Allure check, or something.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-07, 02:28 PM
Frankly, there is an easy way of giving the protagonist a personality: choosing the options well. Both might require a Skill check to pull off, but a protagonist that gives VPs to academic success is very different from a protagonist that gives VPs to the winner of an underground drag race.

EDIT: By the way, I have several concepts I have in mind for this which I cannot run because of a lack of support for characters with superpowers or magical abilities, so I just thought I'd mention how eagerly I'm awaiting an update that includes more supernatural archetypes.

steelsmiter
2013-09-07, 08:42 PM
Frankly, there is an easy way of giving the protagonist a personality: choosing the options well. Both might require a Skill check to pull off, but a protagonist that gives VPs to academic success is very different from a protagonist that gives VPs to the winner of an underground drag race.

EDIT: By the way, I have several concepts I have in mind for this which I cannot run because of a lack of support for characters with superpowers or magical abilities, so I just thought I'd mention how eagerly I'm awaiting an update that includes more supernatural archetypes.

I myself have considered either Persona or something like Guilty the SiN (probably with considerable changes but keeping the demon fighting intact).

Also there needs to be a Mech Driver archetype, but I can onty think of two advantages (and they're both silly):

I'm a Chargin' Mah Lazer!: Whenever you fail a Conflict roll, you may add the margin of your failure to your next roll. You may only use this ability once per episode.

Shoop Da Whoop!: once per episode, you may swap the results of a Conflict or Skill roll you make with one of either type made by another player.

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-07, 11:45 PM
Li'l update time!

-Added new supernatural archetypes: the Celestial and the Demon
-Removed Well Endowed. Replaced it with Shameless, a stronger and slightly more specific advantage under the Pervert archetype.
-Removed Athletic. A stronger version will soon be implemented under the upcoming Sports Star archetype.
-Moved "Amateur Novelist" from the Chuunibyou to the Otaku, since I think it's a better fit there.
-Clarified the wording of the Ojou's "Graceful" advantage.
-Added the (short) rules variant, "Quirks."

Vhael
2013-09-08, 09:43 AM
an overall excellent update! An idea i have had, although possibly could have already been stated and lost in the 8 pages somewhere that i can't bring myself to read through, is to keep a small list of quirks that are separate from normal advantages. These quirks would be randomly rolled for any character that chooses to take one. an example would be something like this:

1. Flat Chested: -1 allure for looks, +1 Skill for sports

Flat as a board, but at least they don't get in the way.
2. Well Endowed: -1 skill for sports, +1 allure for looks

Very nice assets, but get in the way.
3. fbhrweiqfovbrhiewfewqfewf
4. fdshakfkljvfdshjk

sorry for laziness on last two lol. So, if a character wants to take one the GM would roll a d4 and the result would have to be taken.

Only other thought would be a list of 16 that go specifically with each combo of strong/weak rolls. that would require a lot of creativity and time to compile a list like that though.

What do you think?

Moonbeam Funk
2013-09-08, 12:00 PM
an overall excellent update! An idea i have had, although possibly could have already been stated and lost in the 8 pages somewhere that i can't bring myself to read through, is to keep a small list of quirks that are separate from normal advantages. These quirks would be randomly rolled for any character that chooses to take one. an example would be something like this:

1. Flat Chested: -1 allure for looks, +1 Skill for sports

Flat as a board, but at least they don't get in the way.
2. Well Endowed: -1 skill for sports, +1 allure for looks

Very nice assets, but get in the way.
3. fbhrweiqfovbrhiewfewqfewf
4. fdshakfkljvfdshjk

sorry for laziness on last two lol. So, if a character wants to take one the GM would roll a d4 and the result would have to be taken.

Only other thought would be a list of 16 that go specifically with each combo of strong/weak rolls. that would require a lot of creativity and time to compile a list like that though.

What do you think?

It's still not a good idea to have any mechanic built-in that gives a bonus/penalty due to being big/small-chested. Protagonist-kuns would not all have the same preferences, not to mention the idea of rolling something random for a trait your character HAS to take is bad too. It can completely ruin somebody's character concept.

On another note, I did always think Amateur Novelist felt out of place in Chunnibyou, but my opinion on it is it'd make the most sense as a Universal Advantage. After all, any girl can turn out to be good at writing or drawing.

Vhael
2013-09-08, 01:15 PM
well that whole thing wasn't based of off well endowed. it was an example that had a very clear opposite and i gave it random stats that were opposites....just a side note on to that, i don't think i have ever seen a harem where the guy doesn't like well endowed girls. i understand that guys in general can have a preference, but as far as stereotypical anime goes i think well endowed works.

and to address the other complaint about my suggestion. It is not required to take. i did state this. it is just something to add flavor as a completely random trait that would be stereotypical to anime, IF you chose to take the roll.

I think the best way to keep endowment in the system would be to incorporate a character gen roll for it. lowest die # being flat as board, highest being OMG! all numbers in the middle being general mid point sizes that don't effect anything number wise. the only thing that actually would effect anything would be if one character rolls lowest and one rolls highest. if this happens then when one of the character initiates a conflict against the other one, the initiator gets a +1 to the roll. as long as the "assets" are some how involved. This would also be another random and optional roll where the d# you roll relates to the number of players that wish to try it to the nearest even number. Example: 3 players want to try for it, it is a d4. if two characters tie for the highest or lowest they re-roll. otherwise you can "take ten" and just be in the middle of the range and not care.

Moonbeam Funk
2013-09-08, 01:43 PM
I think it should be up to the player what their character looks like, including chest size. Besides, there ARE lolicon protagonists in anime who like flat/small over large. It's not a unanimous thing, and that's why I'm glad the new update replaced Well-Endowed with Shameless. Shameless makes more sense and works just fine.

Milo v3
2013-09-08, 08:55 PM
Is it a good or a bad sign when you realise you could easily stat up the girl you love with this.... :smalltongue:

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-08, 09:09 PM
Is it a good or a bad sign when you realise you could easily stat up the girl you love with this.... :smalltongue:

Depends on whether or not she's the yandere. :smallwink:

Esprit15
2013-09-08, 09:11 PM

Pretty much that. I find myself statting people I know in other systems (so many 6 CHA people...), why should this be exempt?

Milo v3
2013-09-08, 09:14 PM

Fortunately she's not that violent. She just threatens to tear off my arms every now and then :smalltongue:

Illven
2013-09-08, 09:16 PM

A statement like that demands further explanation :smalltongue:

Milo v3
2013-09-08, 09:34 PM
A statement like that demands further explanation :smalltongue:

Strong: Allure
Weak: Luck
Class: Cuckoolander/Otaku/Pervert
Advantages:
Huh? What? (Nearly a catch phrase for her)
Non Sequitur (She is amazingly random... Few minutes ago she just randomly sent me a text saying she has a Rhino on her boobs and sometimes she just randomly starts singing a weird kiddy song or talks about monkeys or fish wars)
Zone Out (She zones out so often that she's zoned out while driving once)
Cosplay Enthusiast (She is soo cute and beautiful in her Cow onesie)
Opinionated (She is the most stubborn person possible when it comes to arguments about Tv shows and can go on for hours proving you wrong)
Shameless (Quirk) (Both in the new flavour of this advantage and the original :smallwink:)

So yeah... I can stat her up with this :smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2013-09-08, 09:38 PM
Ok...PDF updated again, but I'm going to wait until the Sports Star archetype is added before I do another release. (BTW I'm looking forward to seeing how much of my original suggestion for it made it in to the "final" archetype lol.)

A Rainy Knight
2013-09-08, 09:43 PM
Fortunately she's not that violent. She just threatens to tear off my arms every now and then :smalltongue:

You'd still better watch out.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfqgfm8sr1qekcqso1_500.jpg

Ok...PDF updated again, but I'm going to wait until the Sports Star archetype is added before I do another release. (BTW I'm looking forward to seeing how much of my original suggestion for it made it in to the "final" archetype lol.)

If I ever hit a lull in the updates, I'll have to get you to send me that PDF. But for now, I've got a few more immediate things on the horizon.

And I guess we'll see about that, but no guarantees. :smalltongue:

Milo v3
2013-09-08, 10:10 PM
You'd still better watch out.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfqgfm8sr1qekcqso1_500.jpg

I wouldn't worry bout that, she plans to sit on me while she's half naked to stop me from escaping. :smalltongue:
And theres also the fact that she doesn't like me, so I got nothing to worry bout from her slightly murderous tendencies.