PDA

View Full Version : War Fan [weapon]

Thistle
2006-12-07, 01:49 AM
Inspired from Avatar: The Last Airbender and recent bender classes.

War Fan

Exotic light melee weapon
Cost: 5gp
Damage: 1d4
Critical: 19-20/x3
Range: 10 ft.
Weight: 1 lb.
Type: Slashing

War fans resemble normal hand fans but are made of metal and have razor edges. They are the typical weapons of Earth Kingdom women. Famous examples of their use include the Kyoshi warriors and avatar Kyoshi. Airbenders are also known to use war fans.
War fans are effective at fending off ranged attacks. A character is considered to have a +1 shield bonus against ranged attacks that require an attack roll while wielding a war fan and not flat-footed. (Using two war fans does not grant a +2 bonus, though the two-handed defense feat does stack.)
A war fan can be used by a monk with their flurry of blows.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-12-07, 04:38 AM
The War Fan was statted in the 3.0 Oriental Adventures supplement... I'll have to dig it out later to see how this compares.

The critical looks a bit high - 19 to 20 and x3?

Khantalas
2006-12-07, 05:10 AM
Ooh! I'll post my War Fan.

Light Exotic Melee Weapon
Cost: 30 gp
Damage: 1d6
Critical: x3
Range: -
Weight: 2 lbs.
Type: Slashing and piercing

War Fans, once a common weapon among all women of the Empire, are now strictly in the possession of the Disciples of the Moon Fan. They are often crafted out of jade instead of steel whenever the disciple can afford it. When folded, a war fan sports a small blade at its tip that can be used to thrust, but this blade is very hard to notice as a weapon (Spot DC 30).

A war fan looks exactly like a normal fan, except for the material used in its crafting, so it is hard to defend yourself against it the first time it is used. As a part of the first attack the wielder makes in an encounter, she may attempt to feint her opponent. If she succeeds in this attempt, not only is the opponent considered flat-footed against the attack, but the wielder also gains a +4 bonus on her attack roll.

Dhavaer
2006-12-07, 05:26 AM
Ooh! I'll post my War Fan.

Cost: 30 gp
Damage: 1d6
Critical: x3
Range: -
Weight: 2 lbs.
Type: Slashing and piercing

War Fans, once a common weapon among all women of the Empire, are now strictly in the possession of the Disciples of the Moon Fan. They are often crafted out of jade instead of steel whenever the disciple can afford it. When folded, a war fan sports a small blade at its tip that can be used to thrust, but this blade is very hard to notice as a weapon (Spot DC 30).

A war fan looks exactly like a normal fan, except for the material used in its crafting, so it is hard to defend yourself against it the first time it is used. As a part of the first attack the wielder does in an encounter, she may attempt to feint her opponent. If she succeeds in this attempt, not only is the opponent considered flat-footed against the attack, but the wielder also gains a +4 bonus on her attack roll.

That's almost exactly like the warfan from Martial Arts Mayhem.

Khantalas
2006-12-07, 05:30 AM
That's almost exactly like the warfan from Martial Arts Mayhem.

What's a Martial Arts Mayhem?

Dhavaer
2006-12-07, 05:35 AM

What's a Martial Arts Mayhem?

Splatbook from The Game Mechanics.

Khantalas
2006-12-07, 05:38 AM
But do they refer to the Disciples of the Moon Fan?

No?

Dhavaer
2006-12-07, 05:41 AM
But do they refer to the Disciples of the Moon Fan?

No?

Most books don't bother giving their weapons much in the way of backstory.

Mephibosheth
2006-12-07, 09:36 AM
Warfans also appear in Sandstorm as a light exotic weapon that deals 1d6 damage and criticals on a 19-20/x2. Technically, they're "Collapsing Crescent Fans," but whatever.

Mephibosheth

Ing
2006-12-08, 11:25 AM
The fans should get a bonus to slight of hand for concealment...after all they look like non-weaponized mundane objects. I'd give it a +4

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-08, 05:38 PM
Well, I personally always prefered the Iron Fan myself. It's stated as a shield in Oriental Adventures but it isn't very optimum for bashing.

Tessen
Cost: 80/110 gp
Damage: 1d3
Critical: x2
Range: 10 ft. (throwing)
Weight: 1 lbs.
Type: Bludgeoning

A tessen is a fan with iron spokes used as a back up weapon or a signaling device. A character using the Two-Weapon Defense feat with a Tessen increases their shield bonus to armour class by an extra 1. Tessen come in both folding and non-folding versions, the folding version has only 3/4 of the hit points of a non-folding version and has the higher listed price. The folding version grants a +4 bonus to bluff checks in order to pass the weapon off as a personal effect or when using the feint option in combat while the non-folding one merely gives a +2 bonus. Tessen are specially weighted so that a character using one in his off hand applies a full 1x his strength bonus to damage rather than the usual 0.5x for off hand attacks.

There, hopefully that's enough special rules to make it worth spending a feat on what is basicaly a poorer bludgeoning version of a simple weapon everyone gets (dagger).