PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 New Elemental (Peach)

Debihuman
2013-07-03, 06:57 AM
Spume Elemental
Huge Elemental (Air, Aquatic, Extraplanar, Native)
Hit Dice: 15d8+45 (112 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (Good), Swim 60 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-2 size, +5 Dex, +4 natural), Touch 13, Flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +11/+25
Attack: Slam + 15 melee (2d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 slams + 15 melee (2d8+6)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Air mastery, water mastery, waterspout
Special Qualities: Aura of pollution, damage reduction 5/—, darkvision 60 ft., mixed parentage
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +15, Will +7
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Spot +20, Listen +20
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will
Environment: Coastal waters and shores
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: —

Spume elementals are spawned from air and water elementals that have spent too much time in polluted areas on the Prime Material plane. They occasionally appear spontaneously in areas where water pollution is prevalent. They appear to be huge patches of sea foam roiling on the surface of water and on coastal shores. In the air, they appear to be frothy cloud and underwater, they take on a bubbly appearance.

They rarely leave the coastal areas, preferring to stay close to shore and never heading out to deep sea for long.

They speak Aquan and Auran but rarely choose to do so.

Combat

Air Mastery (Ex): Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls against spume elementals.

Aura of Pollution (Su): Any living creature that comes within a 30-foot radius of a spume elemental must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 21) or become sickened until it leaves the area. The DC save is Charisma-base.

Mixed Parentage (Ex): Due to their mixed parentage, spume elementals have good Fortitude and good Reflex saves.

Water Mastery (Ex): A spume elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if it is touching water. Spume elementals rarely capsize ships. However, if provoked a spume elemental can overturn small craft that are 15 feet in length or smaller and slow larger vessels (up to 40 feet in length) to half speed.

Waterspout (Su): The elemental can transform itself into a waterspout once every 10 minutes and remain in that form for up to 1 round for every 2 HD it has.

A waterspout cannot be created if the spume elemental is not touching the water, such as while flying more than 15 feet in the air. The waterspout must be higher than the surrounding water, limiting the depths to which the spume elemental can use this ability.

The waterspout is a 10-foot funnel rising from the water and 10-50 feet tall. The elemental controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet. Furthermore, the waterspout must extend at least 5 feet above the water.

The elemental’s movement while in waterspout form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the elemental enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the waterspout if it touches or enters the waterspout, or if the elemental moves into or through the creature’s space.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the elemental might take damage when caught in the waterspout and may be swept up by it. An affected creature must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 21) when it comes into contact with the waterspout or take 2d10 points of damage. It must also succeed on a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the air, automatically taking damage each round. An affected creature is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the waterspout. The creature still takes damage, but can leave if the save is successful. The save DC is Strength-based.

Creatures trapped in the waterspout cannot move except to go where the elemental carries them or to escape the waterspout. Creatures caught in the waterspout can otherwise act normally, but must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the waterspout take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The elemental can have only as many creatures trapped inside the waterspout at one time as will fit inside the waterspout’s volume.

The elemental can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the waterspout happens to be.

An elemental in waterspout form cannot make slam attacks and does not threaten the area around it.

Skills: A spume elemental has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Variant Spume Elementals

These spume elementals have the same stats as above but have a challenge rating of 12 rather than 9. Add the following text and abilities.

Under Waterspout add the following text: If the waterspout is created while it is raining or during a thunderstorm, the waterspout may double in height. During a thunderstorm, a lightning bolt may appear, one bolt per minute for a 1-hour period at the center of the storm. Each bolt causes electricity damage equal to 1d10 eight-sided dice.

Acid and Electricity Immunity (Ex): Born of pollution, spume elementals are naturally immune to acid and electricity.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): As a standard action, spume elementals can cast sleet storm at will and acid fog three times a day. CL 12. A spume elemental can see and move normally during a sleet storm and does not need to make any balance checks

Spell Resistance (Ex): Spume elementals have spell resistance equal to their hit dice.

Debby

ShriekingDrake
2013-07-03, 10:07 PM
I like it. Have you considered a kind of water based entangle effect that can affect creatures and/or sea-going vessels? Since you've tied it with pollution, this mechanic seems plausible.

eftexar
2013-07-03, 10:26 PM
Definitely cool, but I feel like it's missing something...

I think it still needs something else related to pollution, like maybe the ability to enter a creatures lungs and attempt to suffocate it, release a cloud of nauseating fog, or even teleport through polluted areas.

TuggyNE
2013-07-03, 11:38 PM
I'm not quite sure why this is a pollution-based elemental; spume is perfectly natural, and is often encouraged by algal byproducts. Pollution doesn't particularly increase spume formation all that much, just changes its characteristics.

I think it would be fine to just make it a mixed air/water elemental and maybe add some sort of blinding splash or something to make it more interesting.

Debihuman
2013-07-04, 12:10 AM
Upon further consideration (and after crunching my numbers using VT's CR estimator) it appears that my spume elemental is far weaker than I had anticipated. So I've dropped the CR to 9 for a standard spume elemental and have created a variant CR 12 elemental as well.

Normal spume is naturally occurring. However, to justify enough for an elemental of this size, you need algal bloom and fertilizer (and perhaps even phosphorus), a by product of household detergent. It's duller than the dishwater it comes from.

Debby

Ashtagon
2013-07-04, 12:13 AM
Upon further consideration (and after crunching my numbers using VT's CR estimator) it appears that my spume elemental is far weaker than I had anticipated. So I've dropped the CR to 9 for a standard spume elemental and have created a variant CR 12 elemental as well.

Normal spume is naturally occurring. However, to justify enough for an elemental of this size, you need algal bloom and fertilizer (and perhaps even phosphorus), a by product of household detergent. It's duller than the dishwater it comes from.

Debby

To justify an elemental of any size, you need magic anyway. Household detergent is small potatoes in comparison to that.

Debihuman
2013-07-04, 12:25 AM
To justify an elemental of any size, you need magic anyway. Household detergent is small potatoes in comparison to that.

My thoughts exactly.

I like it. Have you considered a kind of water based entangle effect that can affect creatures and/or sea-going vessels? Since you've tied it with pollution, this mechanic seems plausible.

The spume elemental can capisize small vessels and slow larger ones as is mentioned already. While it doesn't have tendrils with which to entangle other creatures, the waterspout can lift them up and carry them along.

Note: The update and edits are complete now. Let me know what you think.

Debby