PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

The Giant
2006-12-07, 01:46 PM
OK, as the proprietor here, I would be remiss if I didn't do a little customer reasearch. I mean, I ignore feedback on my own work, but I have a better feel for that. I'm trying to see what you guys think of Erfworld after (essentially) one scene.

This poll is allows multiple responses, so please vote for every aspect you like or dislike. If you are "meh" on an aspect of the comic, just don't vote on that aspect. And try to only select one of the three last choices.

I'm looking both for positive and negative feedback here, so if you love it or hate it, let me know.

Tormsskull
2006-12-07, 01:55 PM
So far it is ok. I am sure it will take some time to get into it. The only issue I have with it so far is that if each update only includes 1 screen (which looks to be 3 panels) then it would seem like the story would take a very long time to progress. If the updates regularly include 6 screens, then that would be cool, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Either way, it can't hurt having it here. Some people will love it, and read both. Some people will hate it, but continue to read OotS.

cuchulainshound
2006-12-07, 01:56 PM
I've said this elsewhere, but I'll sum it up here. It's not OotS, but it doesn't try to be. I like it.

It's deeper (and thus also slower moving), than OotS - the jokes do indeed take a while to develop, but are just as much appreciated. And I think there's something perhaps a bit "mythic" going on with the storyline, the childish characters, the incompetent leaders - hard to pull off, but a good start.

Artwork is not my favorite (I'd prefer a Heavy Metal edgier style best, if I had my druthers), but I do like it and it works well with both the tone and content of the plot so far. The writing is solid, and the jokes aimed at all levels, from pure scatalogical (latest panel, or one of the very next ones of the next page) to double entendre and obscure puns and cultural references- again, nice.

I'll reserve final judgement for once I've let it soak in for a few weeks, but for now, I'm in!

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-07, 01:56 PM
Over all I liked it but it seemed to be going for cheesy funny instead of smart funny a few times. I think something can have a child like aesthetic and still be smart funny. (power puff girls, Dexter's lab)

Erloas
2006-12-07, 02:45 PM
I'm really on the fence about it right now, there are some parts that look good and others that look like they could be an issue. I'll read it because I'm here anyway. If it was its own site that I would have to check on its own then it is much less likely. If I make specific visits to check for the updates will take a while to see how everything develops before I know for sure.

Zweee
2006-12-07, 03:03 PM
It seems too early to tell what it is going to be like. I like the art. However I think it will be difficult to get into the story because the plot will take too long to progress. I'm excited about though. It will be something to hold me over between OOTS.

grinner666
2006-12-07, 03:12 PM
Okay, I didn't notice it was up 'til the sixth strip was up ... but I'm in love!!

*grins* Findamancers and Croakamancers and Titans that look like Fat Elvis? Give me more!! :smallcool:

jami
2006-12-07, 03:16 PM
So far it is ok. I am sure it will take some time to get into it. The only issue I have with it so far is that if each update only includes 1 screen (which looks to be 3 panels) then it would seem like the story would take a very long time to progress. If the updates regularly include 6 screens, then that would be cool, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Either way, it can't hurt having it here. Some people will love it, and read both. Some people will hate it, but continue to read OotS.

Every update will be a full comic page. Sometimes it will be 9 panels, sometimes 4 like page 3, but every update will be a full page of stuff. Most of the pages will have 9 or more panels or more.

Lefty the Drunken Lush
2006-12-07, 03:26 PM
Where is the "WTH?" option?

I don't pretend to understand, but maybe that comes with time. Or am I missing something. You've certainly got me interested.

squeakyreaper
2006-12-07, 03:37 PM
Its far too early to say I will never read it again, but certenly won't be bookmarked. The only reason I'll really read it is because its linked next to OOTs. I love the art style in great lengths, the story seems okay and plausable, but the humor needs to be more consistent. I love that PM joke.

I like it primarily because of the art style
I don't like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue
I will check it out from time to time, when I remember or OOTS is late

Though I will read it because it has much potential. And because the Dwagons.

Mr Wizard
2006-12-07, 03:56 PM
This poll is interesting.

It has 29 voter as of the time I am posting this message, which is 1 below the standard number for this to have any empirical signifigance to interpret.

This wont stop me.:smallbiggrin:

The interesting part, to me, is the so called "childlike" options. It is the least selected choice among those that like the new comic, and one of the highest among those that don't. I think this may have to do with the fact that this is a primarily DnD focused forum, and therefore attracts DnD players.One misconception about games in general is that they are meant only for the very young. This misconception stretched over DnD, and could be the explanation for the negative reaction to the "childlike" perception of the comic. Since that misconception of DnD made some players sensitive to such criticism, they seek to disassociate themselves from anything they might feel as "immature" or "child-like".

Yay Freud!(or maybe Jung?)

Personally, I think the so called "cute speak" is no different than the "cool speak" many associate with fantasy stories. It is like a sentence that a regular, mature (:smallamused:) , "cool" fantasy might have a "spiked golden dragon of the Ninety Nine Gods belched indigo flame at the mighty city of White Lotus" where as this comic could have "a big Dwagon prfft'ed a flaming load at the city of Great White Landowners":smalltongue:

WoDHells
2006-12-07, 04:05 PM
Looks cool so far. The story has some potential as well.
:smallsmile:

Alynn
2006-12-07, 04:34 PM
It seems ok so far, random with the jokes which is something I like, because you never know when the next one will show up. Puns, while considered the lowest form of humor, is something I love, especially a very well made one. There are thinking jokes, puns, ennuendos, wordplay, and just clever use of visuals (while some on the forums seem to have not gotten the joke, the Elvis thing with the gem was great). All in all it makes for a very nice comic.

I am neutral towards the child speak, as most call it, as I see speach as something that is completely dictated by ones environment, to us, it's cutesy kids speak, because thats how kids talk when they can't quite pronouce a word correctly, however in the context of the story and world, these are not cute words, they are real words spoken by adults in a serious manner. So while I don't mind it, while I read it is sometimes difficult reading a word like dwagon, and not hearing my son or little girl when she was younger saying it in my head.

I voted that I wouldn't read it all the time, only when oots was late or what have you, but the real reason is I'd rather read it in installments as I did this time with 6 pages. I do this with another comic I read as well, mostly because as story driven comics, reading them in finished batches works better for me as a whole than reading them one page at a time (which reminds me, I need to check out that other one it's been about a month).

All in all keep it, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Nymr83
2006-12-07, 06:38 PM
so far i am not impressed at all. I'll give this another look once a bunch of them have piled up and i can read through them all at once, maybe the plot will seem less stupid that way.

Devo the Sane
2006-12-07, 06:44 PM
I gotta say I hate it. I hate the art work. I hate the characters. I hate the dialogue. It lacks humor, drama, or anything else that would make it interesting. I'm sure this comic has its place...probably on an anime site somewhere where the only people they need to please are the SCRUBBED. They seem easy to please. But here, where you have the incrdible OOTS, we expect better.

Voice of Mod: Perhaps, but here we also expect better than to allow posters to flame large classes of people who almost certainly include people posting on this very thread who have said they liked it. Infraction for flaming.

Khantalas
2006-12-07, 06:59 PM
Whoo! I'm so easily pleased! Cause I just love it!

My next character is gonna be a predictamancer rather than a diviner as usual.

Wizzardman
2006-12-07, 07:10 PM
I've actually rather liked it thusfar. Its a very different style from OOtS, but, well... its supposed to be. So thusfar it's started out relatively interesting. I'll have to see how much I like it as it goes.

Torpedo Ted
2006-12-07, 07:13 PM
I don't really like the new Erfworld. Or, at least not as much as Oots, for a couple of reasons.

The artwork kinda bugs me. If this is supposed to be a humerous comic, it looks too serios.
There isn't a whole lot of unique stuff. It may be too early to say for sure, but it looks like there isn't any thing too special about it.
:smallfurious: This is the one I absolutely hate: The names for spell crafters. It looks like the author took some words that have a little to do with the type of magic, and put mancer at the end. This was probably supposed to be funny, but I just think it is stupid.
This is my last one. The story goes way too fast for me. I just hope he slows it down a little.Like I said, it may be too early to say, but those are my first impressions. I'll keep my eyes peeled, and I'll keep reading but I hope for some better comics too come.

Demented
2006-12-07, 07:45 PM
Let's see....

The depth of the humor (as revealed in the threads so far) is incredible, and the jokes are mildly amusing.
The art is very intelligible, but the comic relies more on everything else. (Says the stick-figure comic devotee.)
The childlike aesthetic is part of the humor and story. Quirky, yet sensible, yet not, however strangely, groundbreaking.
The story: Irrelevant. We still need to meet all the characters!

As far as I am concerned, the comic is still getting rolling, and I'm hesitant to judge an engine before it's running. As it is, I'll be sticking around out of sheer curiosity and to see just how the comedy dares go. And, it's irresistably cute.

Tabiani
2006-12-07, 07:56 PM
I found it wierd and confusing. I'll probably check back after the New Year and read a bunch to see if it starts making sense and starts tickling my funny bone.

alanajoli
2006-12-07, 07:58 PM
I've voted, but I'd love to see the Giant check back in with us after we've had more than six pages to form opinions. I'm mostly *intrigued* by all the aspects currently, but can't say whether or not I truly *like* them until I see where it's all going.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far!

-Alana

Jerthanis
2006-12-07, 08:29 PM
I liked it, but I've gotta wonder, is it going to be mostly from the perspectives of the badguys? I mean, I've liked the art style, but so far the characters have been hatable and annoying. If they turn out to be the comic relief pawns of the BBEG and it introduces the heroes later... I'll be happy, but wonder why they chose to do it that way instead of the other way around (heroes get introductions, a little development, then expose the crisis that they need to deal with)

I'm going to continue reading of course, since 6 pages is only the comic drawing its first breath, and I can't think of a single comic that sold itself inside of 6 pages. I'm also going to remain cautiously optimistic.

fwiffo
2006-12-07, 08:37 PM
I liked it, but I've gotta wonder, is it going to be mostly from the perspectives of the badguys? I mean, I've liked the art style, but so far the characters have been hatable and annoying.

He-he... Try reading Glen Cook's "Black Company" books. Now there is a story told from bad guy's perspective.

And I don't see too many complaints when action switches to Xykon or Linear Guild. Bad guys can be good too.

Balathustrius
2006-12-07, 08:38 PM
I liked it entirely. While I was admittedly skeptical at first about another webcomic diluting the purity of the blessed OotS website, I will now happily state that Erfworld is, in fact, awesome.

The art is great, and conveys a sort of tone to the strip that fits it perfectly. The humor is brilliant (that first panel of the first strip was genius), and the story looks like it has a lot of potential.

Great work; it gets an A+ from me.

LordOfNarf
2006-12-07, 10:25 PM
The childish aspect irks me, and the big heads drive me nuts. Overall, the dialoage and humor seemed overtried and weak. The jokes seemed bad or punny and I don't really care for the humor style.

I'll check it everyone in a while to see if it picks up, but I will stick to OoTS otherwise.

Krytha
2006-12-07, 10:29 PM
Ill read it because it's there!

Conjurer
2006-12-07, 11:33 PM
First Impression: Story seems interesting enough, and I'll keep reading it for the time being.

theKOT
2006-12-08, 12:20 AM
I find the way the characters are drawn a bit annoying. Also, movement and expression are a bit hard to interpret from this style. The jokes, while certainly original, just aren't that funny. As for the art in general, while I like the attempt at forced perspective, it doesn't seem done very cleanly and so can leave your brain scrambling for how things are arranged and spaced in the world. The comic doesn't seem very good in bite-sized, single-strip doses, but as a whole the work may turn out just fine.

TinSoldier
2006-12-08, 12:24 AM
I really like the comic and I look forward to more. I only have two criticisms:

1. I hope the kidspeak that was identified is only a way of making unique names rather than a way of actually speaking. So far, that theory seems to hold up.

2. If several pages are posted at once, I would rather have them merged into one page that flows better as one part of the story. I understand splitting them up for archive purposes (Goblins does that) but for the most recent post all of the panels should be on one page.

Miles Invictus
2006-12-08, 12:40 AM
I'm ambivalent about the aesthetic and the dialogue.

That's not to say that they're mediocre, but that they have aspects of them that are neat and aspects that were getting old by the end of the preview. For example, the references to croakomancers and predictomancers -- amusing, but I'm not enthralled with it as a running gag.

I do like the art style, but it's not a major reason for me to read the comic. The story, however, sounds interesting, and I suspect that the other quirky aspects of the strip will fade to the background over time, so I expect to keep up with it for a bit.

Drakuul
2006-12-08, 01:08 AM
It reminds me of Cerebus the Aardvark - I'm definately continuing reading, after all sometimes the build up to a punchline NEEDS more than a page :)

Martichoras
2006-12-08, 06:16 AM
I think the artwork is pretty.

I didn't think it was funny, that might be because I have no experience with MMORPG, but given that I have enjoyed other MMORPG parodies, it might also be because it isn't my kind of humour, or perhaps because it hasn't had time to grow on me yet.

I went with "I will check it out from time to time". Given how many times I check to see if OotS has updated, I think it likely that I will have a look at Erfworld fairly regularly.

ghost_warlock
2006-12-08, 07:04 AM
I think, for me, it might be too early to really judge. I like the artwork a lot but so far the plot and the characters haven't really "grabbed" me. One of the biggest reasons why I enjoy the OOTS is because of the characters. I've reached the point where I genuinely care about Haley, Elan, and Belkar like I do some of the characters from my favorite books and TV shows/movies. I've enjoyed the way these characters have evolved and I want to see them succeed and do well for themselves. So far Erfworld's characters just aren't "doing it" for me.

Wanda seems alright; she reminds me of Redcloak. She seems like a primary character, maybe even the protagonist, and I'm not so sure she'll hold interest for me if she doesn't develop beyond her role as a yes-man (which she really is, even if only grudgingly). I guess she also serves to redirect some of her lord's dumber ideas and strategies but I'm not sure this role is any more interesting.

The only character featured so far that I've got more than a vague interest in is the Arkenhammer. Not really sure if it counts, though, because it still hasn't really been identified as more than an inanimate object.

I have hopes for Sizemore, though, and Bogroll might prove to be the source of some humorous situations ("me love thog"-esque).

I'm going to keep reading and see how things go; see if I attach to any of the characters.

GKBeetle
2006-12-08, 07:56 AM
Well, just answer one question. Will it continue to be updated 6 pages at a time, or will it be only one page from now on. If it is only one page, I probably won't read it regularly and just get caught up about once a month. It seems that the story progresses slowly enough and there is not much of anything going on on some of the pages that just reading one page won't give you much most of the time. OOTS has little self contained stories and jokes on every page, but that is not the case with Erfworld, as far as I can see.

jami
2006-12-08, 08:39 AM
Well, just answer one question. Will it continue to be updated 6 pages at a time, or will it be only one page from now on. If it is only one page, I probably won't read it regularly and just get caught up about once a month. It seems that the story progresses slowly enough and there is not much of anything going on on some of the pages that just reading one page won't give you much most of the time. OOTS has little self contained stories and jokes on every page, but that is not the case with Erfworld, as far as I can see.

It's going to be one page at a time from now on. It's true, they work much better in sequence than as individual strips. We're working on a complete narrative that's more dependent on sequence than punchlines. Still, we hope that there's enough in each page to keep people at least somewhat interested.

BiggusGeekus
2006-12-08, 09:55 AM
I'll keep reading it, but I'm not impressed.

It's like the comic is trying to be funny. And it isn't doing it in a very relaxed fasion. I'm half expecting someone to walk in-panel with a bananna on his head, just because that's odd. I don't mean to sound arrogant or be a jerk or anything, but it really comes off to me like the strip is begging me to laugh.

My advice would be for the creators to just relax and enjoy. If this is what you are doing then it doesn't look like this is the style of comic that I would personally care for. No worries, according to the poll, plenty of other people are loving it.

Grey Watcher
2006-12-08, 10:11 AM
I'm intrigued by the plot, and I think the art is interesting....

The humor and the childlike aesthetic.... I'm not sold on. I don't hate them, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. Gobwin, Croakamancer, Findamancer, and Dwagon in place of Goblin, Necromancer, Diviner, and Dragon is an interesting choice, but it's the kind of linguistic ploy that, if not handled carefully, can get a little tiresome. As for the humor... well, it's a bit of an adjustment. OotS is very broad and has a kind of... rubber-band feeling, for want of a better word. The humor tends to snap and turn on a single panel or line of dialogue. Erfworld's humor seems much more relaxed. Using three Elvises (three Kings... get it?) as your Creator Gods isn't really a laugh out loud, fall off your chair, spew the milk you were drinking out of your nose and onto your keyboard joke, but it's an absurdly amusing image, nevertheless.

So, in summary, I'm mostly in wait and see mode, right now.

TinSoldier
2006-12-08, 10:54 AM
I'm not too crazy about the words "gobwin", "dwagon", and "spidew", but I really get a kick out of "croakamancer", "findamancer", etc. I think that is one of the many things that adds a unique flavor to the setting.

Jacklu
2006-12-08, 10:58 AM
I like it. I love humor that takes a little development and really like the kind of jokes that you have to ponder for a moment to truly appreciate. Puns are fun! The art style gives an interesting feel to the comic, as does the "childlike aesthetic". Coupled with a good story line and good writing, this could be a very good comic. I intend to continue reading it as long as new comics are made.

javelin98
2006-12-08, 11:24 AM
I'm with BiggusGeekus on this one. The humor is very Andy Kaufman-esque -- low-key and so subtle that it might be mistaken for simple snobbery, as in "I'm smarter than you 'cause I get it and you don't."

So far I'm not impressed, which is sad because I thoroughly like PartiallyClips. I figure I'll check back in a month to see if it's improved at all, but until it starts to find its stride, it isn't worth my time to read.

kriklaf
2006-12-08, 11:45 AM
I'm not too crazy about the words "gobwin", "dwagon", and "spidew", but I really get a kick out of "croakamancer", "findamancer", etc. I think that is one of the many things that adds a unique flavor to the setting.

I'm with TinSoldier here. I hate little-kid speak--I don't much like it from children (no child of mine will ever say pasghetti more than once) and I can't STAND it from adults. The "croakamancer" etc variety of substitutions is pretty funny, though.

Overall? Meh. I thought some of the jokes were pretty amusing (I like the walnuts turning to pigeons) and that some of the characters had promise. I'm sort of ambivalent toward the art, but then I'm not much of a connoisseur of comic art (my main requirement is that it doesn't get in the way, and this doesn't). I'm sure I'll keep reading it on OOTS off-days, and I'd love to be pleasantly surprised with its ability to keep my attention.

By the way, the Updates banner over Erfworld is the same as the one over OOTS--updating Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays--any simple way to fix this?

beholder
2006-12-08, 12:02 PM
i like it excpet for that fact that it's above OOTS. couldnt we do it in ordder of which comic has been up the longest?

foil_fedora
2006-12-08, 12:56 PM
Looks like a great strip so far. I suspect I'll come back and read it in batches, rather than a strip at a time, since the pacing seems more 'graphic novel' than 'comic page'... that's *not* a criticism... I *like* an evolving unfolding plotline.

Nice job on the initial storyline! The biggest problem in fantasy storytelling is to managing the exposition necessary to introduce the world, and still introduce the plot and characters without spending waaay to much time on it (and coming away with too little of either). Comics have an advantage over novels on this one, since some of the exposition can be drawn, rahter than written, but it's still a knotty problem, and well handled here.

I'll be back to read more.

RobertFisher
2006-12-08, 01:31 PM
I ended up voting "I don't like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue" & "I don't like it primarily because the story/plot seems boring/confusing/bad". Which is weird, because I really enjoy PartiallyClips.

The art I mostly like, but it sometimes seems to be missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe that it can't quite seem to decide whether it wants to be more minimalist "comic" or lush "graphic novel"? I don't know.

After the 6-pages, I'm still not sure about my worst fear. Even though it may not be a punch-line-a-page, each installment needs to end on a natural break.

Consider Tramp's Wormy. Many of the installments weren't really stand-alone, but they still ended on a natural break--whether it was a cliffhanger, preliminary punch-line, or whatever. Of course, installments varied in length. (Something OOTS occasionally does as well.) But I digress.

When the breaks aren't natural, I find I lose interest quickly.

Goofy
2006-12-08, 01:52 PM
Need more input for a good decision. I figure you'll be getting a lot of comments that are based on how it's different from OotS, which is obviously to be expected. I like the words coined, but I don't know if it'll get stale or not.

teratorn
2006-12-08, 03:05 PM
I'm more interested in the story than in the gags. I must be one of those easily amused for I plan to read this regularly. In fact I was afraid it would be something similar to OOTS and I'm glad it's not. I love the dawgons and mancer thingies.

Athelis
2006-12-08, 03:58 PM
Overall, so far i like it. Especially the whole "every fifth or sixth nut i crack turns into a pigeon" thing. Just one question, are these the villains or is this one of those stories without good and evil, just different sides?"

javelin98
2006-12-08, 05:13 PM
Especially the whole "every fifth or sixth nut i crack turns into a pigeon" thing.

I didn't understand that reference at all. I feel like a lot of the things that are meant to be referential jokes here (to some game or system I've never played) are *so* obscure that they'll be lost on a lot of the people who've never played this game/system/MMORPG. That's the danger of inside jokes -- if they're too far inside, then too few people will understand them enough to continue reading them. VGCats, Penny Arcade, OOTS -- these all seem very good at making their jokes general enough that anyone who's vaguely or passingly familiar with at least the genre or system can get them.

What is this comic based on, anyway?

Sir_Norbert
2006-12-08, 05:46 PM
I voted "I will not continue reading it at all". I didn't find it funny and I'm not getting into the plot or the characters. Sorry if that sounds harsh; I'm a demanding reader because I have a lot to occupy my time, and I don't want to get into another webcomic if it doesn't look like repaying what I put into it.

Aemirai
2006-12-08, 05:56 PM
I don't know, I wasn't crazy about it. It feels more like a print comic than a webcomic. I found the perspective on parts of it disorienting and physically hard to look at, which is a quick turn-off for me. The plotline right now is kind of wait-and-see for me. I don't really care about the characters yet. I think I'd like the child-speak better if it were more consistent - it seems kind of thrown-in as it stands now. Also, the croakamancer, predictamancer, etc, is awkward and seems to force overly-large dialogue balloons.

I'll keep reading while waiting for OotS updates, just to see how it evolves.

Narthon the Bold
2006-12-08, 06:16 PM
I feel strongly enough about this to make an account in order to vote in the poll. I feel the art is fine.

I also feel that the babytalk is so annoying I never plan to read the comic again. The story seems like it could be fine and I don't really mind the Elvis stuff, but a poop joke in the first posting really says bad things to me.
In reality, I probably will try it again in a couple months, but babytalk will drive me away quite quickly.

Lairek
2006-12-08, 06:16 PM
I quite liked it. The setting is new and fresh, and it has a Kingdom of Loathing´ish feel to it.

Also... I quite like the names that things/people have.

Looking forward to the next episode.

/hail the giant elvis

oogabooga
2006-12-08, 06:34 PM
I'll continue reading it - admittedly, mainly because it's here on the site already, because I'm stingy with my bookmarks - but I also like what I've seen so far. I was going to say what Lairek just did, that it reminds me somewhat of Kingdom of Loathing.

zeruslord
2006-12-08, 06:56 PM
I would prefer to see more of the comic's storyline before giving an opinion. Artwork and names that aren't extremely good or bad are hard to judge without knowing the theme and tone of the rest of the setting. If it tries to be too serious, they will likely drag it down. On the other hand, if the series tries to do something based more on daily punchlines, the silliness of the names might get in the way of the real humor. Hopefully, it develops into something more like Goblins (http://goblinscomic.com) or Sluggy Freelance (http://www.sluggy.com), with both a fairly serious plot and silliness which can erupt at any moment.

danielf
2006-12-08, 09:03 PM
looks funny

Ettlesby
2006-12-08, 09:36 PM
So far, I like it. I really like it. I like the humor, the artwork is pretty good, and I can't wait to hear more of the story.

beejazz
2006-12-09, 01:03 AM
I'm not impressed. Yet. The Elvises alone indicate that I might be later.

rosebud
2006-12-09, 05:24 AM
I think it's too early to make an assessment. Overall, it's interesting and given its 8:30 PM lineup next to the 8 PM hit show OOTS, I would expect to read it on a regular basis. It would have a harder time reaching audience as a standalone site, but the downside is that it receives criticisms by people who would have otherwise ignored it. On the whole, a reasonable bargain.

As far as "childspeak", I originally didn't quite understand what it was even referring to. I take worlds on their own terms. The hammer coloring was silly, but I have no pwablem with the words or amusing styles. (Dragon Half is one of my favorite animes, and this comic reminds me of it a bit.) I definitely don't want the artists to feel like they have to adapt to the whims of a vocal few. It seems like some people are expecting OOTS, and this is not OOTS nor is it trying to be.

I liked the first page quite a bit, so that probably helped. The gem story and its effects was a nice touch. And little bits like Elvis gods, slow motion action, and daemon table provide some nice rereadability.

As for point of view, I'm presuming Lady Firebaugh is at least one point. As for more, it's too early to see, but she's clearly a sympathetic character whose fortunes and misfortunes could result in much amusement. (In the way that stories with Redcloak are a pleasure to read.)

teratorn
2006-12-09, 08:45 AM
About "childspeak" I see it more in relation with the way this world "came to be", the characters themselves are not that childish. Of course I'm trying to guess what is really erfworld but it's too soon to put forward my guess.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-09, 09:10 AM
I looked at the Elvis' making the world, laughed, and that was the end...

The rest that I have read can be summed up with nothing more than these smilies:

http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/dubious.gif http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/ThumbDown.gif

Alsadius
2006-12-09, 09:58 AM
It's a bit more silly than I tend to like(because really, you don't need a W in every single word), but at the same time it seems rather interesting. I'll probably keep reading it whenever I think of it.

Somebloke
2006-12-09, 11:05 AM
My first impression was: More, please. I like.

When is it updated?

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-12-09, 01:49 PM
I really like Erfworld's look and feel. It seems "childlike" at first glance, but it's clearly carefully crafted to look that way. Can't wait for more!

dragon95046
2006-12-09, 06:43 PM
Meh. Not a fan of the dialogue, language style, or art style. In six pages there was only one joke that even made me smirk (4th page, panels 1-5) and one smirk per 6 pages isn't really worth the time. There are many webcomics which are better. Having said that, I believe this comic will be hugely successful if only because it is piggybacking OoTS.

"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

landruajm
2006-12-09, 06:49 PM
I think it's an outstanding complement to OOTS. Kudos to Rich for grabbing it up for GITP, and to the Erfworld designers for coming up with what promises to be a story rich in subtlety and good humor.

Ambi-sinister
2006-12-09, 07:59 PM
I thought it had some funny jokes, I especially liked the text-messaging gag. I'm not a huge fan of it's art style, but I think overall I will come back to it.

Hileria
2006-12-09, 08:24 PM
I can't see myself reading much more, if any, of this. The artwork is fine; but other than that - I didn't see a lot of appeal. I find the "childlike" aesthetic to be particularly annoying. The story wasn't particularly appealing - though with only 6 panels a judgement may be premature. First OOTS strip had me laughing out loud. This strip had me cringing over "Dwagon" and a story line that doesn't make me want to come back for more. And missing that hook is a fatal mistake.

metalphil
2006-12-09, 09:33 PM
I like the art pretty well, though I feel like some of the characters are inconsistent with eachother, which I thought wasn't the best (i.e., Wanda and the commander look like they came out of different comics--but otherwise the art is really well done). However, I thought the dialogue and the plot (thus far) aren't that great. We'll have to see. I'll keep reading it until it has been confirmed for me that it's just dumb or useless. At which point I will stop.

Khantalas
2006-12-10, 03:40 PM
Well, you know what I think? Other than the having humor part, OotS and Erfworld have very different styles: both in story progression, artwork, characters, even the style of humor. That's actually why it's good to have it here, as it will attract people who may not enjoy OotS (well, we're talking about very few people, probably about a dozen or so :smalltongue: ), and make our collective community greater. Some people who enjoy OotS may not enjoy Erfworld, and vice versa. Some people may enjoy both. Some people won't enjoy neither of them (well, who are those idiots?). But if this is what Giant wants, then this is what you get.

Whether you enjoy it or not.

Oh, and Erfworld rocks.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-10, 08:28 PM
I admit that the child like words and such bother me, but I like the art and the humor and will definatly not stop reading.

Harr
2006-12-11, 12:41 AM
Overall impression I got was slow, confusing, and annoying with the child-speak. Ironically since this is supposed to be the 'build up to the punchline' comic, everything is way over the top and trying too hard for the laugh.

Oh look, we say dwagon instead of dragon, we say croak instead of die, we say this instead of that, it's funny, right? RIGHT?? Meh.

What's gradual and built-up about putting a baby's squeaky toy where a divine hammer should be? Nothing, it's cheap and slapsticky.

My verdict: An average-to-OK comic enjoying one hell of a free ride by having been cushily placed on top of OOTS's coattails.

Angela
2006-12-11, 04:02 AM
I voted that I like the humor, plot and art style, and that I'll keep reading (although perhaps not as regularly as OOTS)

I've not commented on the childish qualities of the script. Why? Two reasons.

First, my initial thought when I read it was Monty Python - "welease Woger!!!" I have a feeling that the childishness of it will ultimately contribute to the story.

Second - people, we are here to read a comic about stick figures, for goodness sake!!! Hello!?!? :smallbiggrin: Pots and kettles!

As I said earlier, I probably won't check for updates as regularly as I do for OOTS - not because I necessarily like it less (they are very different comics), but because my impression so far is that the extended story arc will be better to read in large sittings, rather than individual strips.

Overall, I'm enjoying it so far.

Fat Daddy
2006-12-11, 04:12 AM
I think I already answered this in another thread but I wanted to do my part to help the Giant.
I like the humor and the story seems pretty decent so far.
The 'cutesy speak' annoys me a lot more than I thought it would.
The art, while good, is not a style that I enjoy.

I will probably check the comic occasionally. However, I probably wouldn't if it was on a different site that I didn't visit regularly.

My 2 cents...

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-11, 09:37 AM
I like what I've seen so far, but...

Well, lets start with the good points: The artwork is ok - I don't necessarly like the style at present, but I think that I will get used to it. The dialogue is well thought out and rings true (how many bosses fail to understand the underlying technical foundations, yet think they know all). There is enough humour there to start with.

(And I really liked the notebook, and I am not particularly fussed about the "babytalk" as most of the dialogue is fairly clear)

The weak point, however, is that what we are getting is essentially a single page (or possibly two) of a print comic every few days. This makes it quite frustrating to read. OOTS scores well here because - even though there is a long storyline - each strip usually stands well on its own. With Erfworld I think it will feel like I am being drip-fed the occasional page.

Perhaps this would be better as a once-a-week update, with several pages in each update (I am showing my age and nationality here - I grew up on weekly comics).

However, we've only had 6 pages so far. That's not really long enough for me to make any meaningful decision. I'm going to keep reading, after all, there is plenty of potential here.

Sir_Norbert
2006-12-11, 10:00 AM
Second - people, we are here to read a comic about stick figures, for goodness sake!!! Hello!?!? :smallbiggrin: Pots and kettles!
Um. You're comparing two completely different things; there's nothing childish about the OOTS style of drawing. It's just very simple, getting rid of non-essentials so as to concentrate on the characters, the story and of course the humour. The childish humour of Erfworld, by contrast, is intrusive; evidently some people like it and some don't, but either way, you can't ignore it.

Om
2006-12-11, 10:16 AM
Um. You're comparing two completely different things; there's nothing childish about the OOTS style of drawing.
You're saying this about a comic that told the story of creation using crayons? :smallwink:

The childish humour of Erfworld, by contrast, is intrusive; evidently some people like it and some don't, but either way, you can't ignore it.I did. I didn't notice the "dwagon" until it was pointed out to me and I still don't see what the fuss is about. What difference does it make if the occasional w is present? I can't possible see how this "childlike" substitution of letters constitutes either a certain type of humour or detracts from the overall humour of the strip.

Tell me, are there really people that can't/won't get a joke when the word is not spelt "correctly"? I can't understand that at all.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-12-11, 10:44 AM
I wekon it is awarable.

Well, in all seriousness I like the child like additions, and I can only see how it could add to humour, not subtract.

tonberryking
2006-12-11, 11:37 AM
I think the nomenclature is both funny and possibly problematic simultaneously (specifficalyl I like the term Croakamancer ALOT), and there are definately some pretty good designs and gags going in, however, overall I think it's too early to tell how successful it will be as a gestalt, or at least in the short run of things.

Yet at the same time, after seeing Giant Elvis like deities shaping the world, I think there's mor ethan a flickering flame of hope that this is going to be a blast.

...I'm awfully looking forward to the intro of the blonde with the big sword from the character art page though.

danielf
2006-12-11, 11:48 AM
i think it has potencial to be good

Amon Star
2006-12-11, 12:22 PM
Erfworld seems interesing. The Artwork is good, even though the style is different from OotS. The plot hasn't really shown itself yet, but has potential. I'm indifferent to the slight name changes.

In short, I will keep reading it.

One question, why do the Titans look like Elvis?

CorruptedDevil
2006-12-11, 01:02 PM
Hey, stop knocking on the "childish speech". The impression I got was that the creatures were actually called gobwins and dwagons. That this is the way the language is. I mean, you can't blame german for sounding like a violent language, it's just how it grew up. I, personally, like it. I think it's the comedic yin to OOTS yang.

Besides, how can you dislike something that has dwagons attacking with giant flaming piles of poo. It's rich in hilarity. However you spell it.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 08:06 PM
dont like the art style and the story really seems to have no point or substance

averagejoe
2006-12-11, 08:09 PM
It hasn't made me laugh out loud, but it has a very yummy feel to it, and has made me smile more than once. The use of the word "croak" was pure genius. I still smile when I think of what the various specialist mages are called.

Over all, very silly (but that's what I like about it), and very clever.

IronSoldier820
2006-12-11, 10:31 PM
Hm, it seems to have potential but I'm still waiting for something. Just, something that entertains me as much as OotS has.

Personally, I don't mind the "Dwagons" and "Twolls" but the "Smchuckers" part kind of made me lose interest. May just be me, but I don't think the dialogue mixes with the 'mature' style of art with the Croakamancer lady and the arrow in Lord Manpower's eye.

I'm very interested in seeing an addition to the site, it would be nice to have a new update each day with them rotating in and out. Its definitely got potential, but we'll just have to wait and see if it goes the distance.

Also, the comics could be a bit longer. I probably breezed through those six shorts faster then the Redemption of Cliffport. Although I understand the artwork must take forever, making it take a while to construct a comic, but it needs to be decently long to compare to the OotS comic strips.

Shikton
2006-12-12, 05:01 AM
I'm gonna have to go with "sitting on the fence" like others here too. I like the art and the funky names for things, but the rest is average at best imo. I'm going to keep reading though, as I'm sure it'll pick up. It's a youngling!

rellyjean
2006-12-12, 06:14 AM
I'm decidedly blah on it. Or rather:

The absurdist feel of the first page - Elvises as Titans, and the one gem that changed everything? - Loved.

The oddball bits to the humor, like, "Every fifth or sixth walnut turns into a pigeon"? Likewise, love.

The cutesy trying-too-hard humor? Kill it with fire. Dwagons and croakomancers, begone.

The artwork? Not a fan. It doesn't seem to have any internal consistency so my eyes kind of glaze over it.

Story elements? Could be promising.

Gags about text messaging in a book? Not my cuppa, at all.

Overall impression: it seems forced. If it were a random site I stumbled across, I'd click away without bookmarking. Since it's here, I'll probably check it out again some time when OotS is late or what have you, and if the bad outweighs the good that time, I won't go back.

abc.d
2006-12-12, 11:09 AM
Wait, there are people who actually like this!? As much as i like OOTS, I find erfworld horrible. Not even remotely funny, just horrible. To say it in OOTSish way: Wow, this is a dumb comics, I feel dumber just reading it. ;x

Goldie1980
2006-12-12, 12:48 PM
I'm interested. The plot seems to be shaping up ok, but I do find myself checking back too often to see if it got updated(yes, I know when it comes out...hehe:smallbiggrin: ). So we'll see!

Om
2006-12-12, 01:00 PM
Wait, there are people who actually like this!? As much as i like OOTS, I find erfworld horrible. Not even remotely funny, just horrible. To say it in OOTSish way: Wow, this is a dumb comics, I feel dumber just reading it. ;xNice to see the art of constructive criticism is still alive in this day and age.

teratorn
2006-12-12, 02:38 PM
Nice to see the art of constructive criticism is still alive in this day and age.

Wait, there are people who actually like this!? As much as i like OOTS, I find erfworld horrible. Not even remotely funny, just horrible. To say it in OOTSish way: Wow, this is a dumb comics, I feel dumber just reading it. ;x

This comment from abc.d is in a certain sense remarkable. I'm impressed by the way abc.d managed to insult the people who made the comic, people in this thread who said they liked it, and of course people who thought it was worthy enough to be part of GIANTIP. Wow! I'm saving this one.

Angry_Gryphon
2006-12-12, 03:44 PM
Okay, this is what I thought (put in NEW, EASY to READ LIST FORMAT!!

Pros:
-Quite a bit of detail on the characters
-A few gags on the way to the "punchline"
-Updates are not too slow (twice a week is pretty good)
Cons:
-Art. It wasn't sloppy or anything (except for the hammer; the way it looked bothered me a bit), but it's style was just not to my liking. Looked like cell-shaded video game graphics, but kind of... odd. The main thing that bugged me about the art was the main head honcho. He wasn't very detailed at all. And that hammer. I hated that hammer. I'm still trying to decide whether I liked the art or not. I'm more of a fence-sitter on this aspect of the comic, but I really hated that hammer...
-Humor (or rather the lack of it). I didn't exactly find it funny. The little jokes didn't really provide much humor. I was a little disappointed in the lack of jokes, but it is a little too early to judge the humorous aspect of it. I just didn't think it was that funny.
-Baby talk. I'm not sure it added anything to the comic by replacing Dragon with Dwagon, and Necromancer with Croakamancer. The baby talk didn't exactly settle well with me. It just seemed unnecessary. Even though the art made it look childish, the language didn't need to be so. It just seemed like there was really no point to doing the whole baby-talk thing.
Characters: Will there be characters that I don't hate? I really hope so. I know there hasn't been a lot of time to let the characters develop very much, but as for first impressions, I don't like any of the characters. And the Elvis-titan thing was just confusing.

Overall: I'm still deciding whether or not I like it. Even if it isn't laugh-out-loud funny, or even if it isn't very funny at all, I will still read it. It's there. Why not read it? It's another day of comics.

So I am still deciding on it. I'll have to see more before I make my final judgement. So far, though, I haven't been too awfully impressed...

LCR
2006-12-12, 04:18 PM
I absolutely love the art work, it looks great. Not sure about the story, though. I think I didn't get the jokes, at least they didn't make me laugh (findamancer ... whatever). But I guess it's too early to judge. We'll see.

Roethke
2006-12-12, 04:22 PM
but I really hated that hammer...Hmm, nightmares of croquet? Maybe traumatized by Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

To me it looked like one of those plastic kids toys (complete with the ribbing where the plastic pieces joined together) that's sproingy on both ends, and a croquet mallet. Not sure what the author's were going for, but I figure they wanted it to look out of place.

Somebloke
2006-12-12, 04:47 PM
Read page 7...keep it coming.

sbwilson
2006-12-12, 07:52 PM
Overall I don't mind it. It's not a laugh a minute, but that doesn't bother me. The pacing is just different, and different is good. With that being said, if this comic wasn't on the OOTS site, I'm afraid it would be in severe danger of being forgotten - not because I don't like it, just because...well, I don't read ANY webcomics with any regularity...with the sole exception of OOTS.

Erfworld has its own little charm. As long as it stays, I'll read it.

KennyRules
2006-12-12, 08:23 PM
I have to say I so far am not pleased with this. I will continue to read it for a while, I suppose, but still, it's just..how do I explain..

For one, the art style. I can't explain it, but, it just...annoys me beyond reason. Just looking at it seems to really tick me off. It just isnt good to look at for me.
I seem to be having a hard time telling what, exactly, is going. Particulary with the 7th strip. Granted, further comics could make it easier to understand.
The w's. These also tick me off for some unknown reason. Perhaps because it sounds a bit too childish to say. There is a difference between entertainable childish, and the point where it just gets ridiculus.

Thats pretty much it, I can't say I hope it gets any better, for the over-all style is just infuriating..

spite48
2006-12-12, 08:30 PM
I am intrigued. I approve of the intentional silliness in principle, but I think it might be just a little too silly for my taste.

jackal59
2006-12-12, 09:09 PM
There is nothing in it that I'm even mildly curious about. The visual and verbal incoherence make it unpleasantly hard to read, as if it was translated from another language by someone who is basically mistaken about what constitutes a story. There's definitely some talent behind the art, but I sure don't like the use to which it is being put.

Zephra
2006-12-12, 09:17 PM
the art was detailed, but i didn't like the style. if it takes a week for a joke, it's not a great comic...

Thes Hunter
2006-12-12, 09:19 PM
You know, I didn't notice what people are calling 'childish' or 'baby-talk'. I felt the replacement of some letters with w's was more of a dialect thing than 'baby-talk'. But then again... I have never had a baby, nor have I ever spoken to anyone like this so what do I know?

As for croakamancer's I don't think we have seen what Wanda Firebaugh is capable of. I have a hunch that croakamancers have the power over either un-croaking people, or croaking people. Which if applied to a standard D&D world would fall into several different schools. Maybe people's issue with this is that if falls outside the Tolkien/D&D paradigm?

And while I am in the process of giving people my thoughts, and not studying biochemistry... I also have this to say.

In the beginning it is easy to find fault. I am sure if Mr. Burlew had a forum up with his 1st 6 comix, and they were presented to a large audience of readers of another webcomic, I am sure he would have had all sorts of vitriol thrown at him. I am also sure people would have commented on his art style saying "Stick figures? What kind of lazy person would draw stick figures and expect me to be entertained by it?"

Like I said, it's easier to voice disapproval in the beginning before a comic establishes itself, draws a following and has enough history for people to get a sense of what it is 'all about'. After that point, it seems people are more quiet about their negative opinions. Then it becomes more of a "Shrug, I guess if you like it." and they don't feel the need to say things like "I can't believe anyone likes this!"

However, if you look at the poll, it appears those who have the strongest negative reactions are in the minority, even if that minority is highly vocal at the moment.

IronSoldier820
2006-12-12, 09:48 PM
If you also look in the poll, you notice that more people dislike it for the cutesy talk than those who like it for it. Personally, I'm interested. Part of the "waiting on the fence group." Page 7 was a good start with the new characters, I'm still waiting to get to know them, but its still a welcome step.

My Views

Cutesy Talk: Dislike
Artwork: Like
Humor: Neutral
Plotline: Undecided

Right now I'm tipping towards dislike, throwing the turn-based thing into the comic just threw the whole thing off for me :S .

Vance_Nevada
2006-12-12, 10:28 PM
I'm afraid I just don't get it. The evil warlord looks like a child and has a child's toy style hammer as his mighty artifact. He uses text-speak IM programs. Ha? Am I meant to laugh here, or what?

In a strip-a-day format, I get nothing out of reading any single strip. There's nothing really amusing about them - the closest I've come to a laugh was Occupation: MacGuffin, and that was on the cast page, not the comic - and there's not enough story advancement in any one given strip to justify actually visiting it regularly.

It might work if I come back in, say, a year, and read through enough strips to actually get what's happening, it might be readable.

Imagine trying to read, say, a Spiderman or Batman comic this way. The comic might be perfectly interesting, but going through it at one page every three days would be dull as all hell.

Contrast it to other webcomics, that can maintain both a story and either a 'punchline' or some amusing jokes in near every strip and are thus worth reading regularly, and it falls down.

robinmotion
2006-12-12, 11:22 PM
Except the last episode of OOTS, the one based on Final Fantasy . . . for which I didn't get one single joke out of the entire strip.

I feel like a lot of the things that are meant to be referential jokes here (to some game or system I've never played) are *so* obscure that they'll be lost on a lot of the people who've never played this game/system/MMORPG. VGCats, Penny Arcade, OOTS -- these all seem very good at making their jokes general enough that anyone who's vaguely or passingly familiar with at least the genre or system can get them.

GKBeetle
2006-12-13, 09:05 AM
Well, this is actually a second impression. Seeing as it looks like updates will only be a single page, I don't think there's anyway this comic is going to move along fast enough to make me want to check it regularly. I think I may check maybe once a month or something.

Erloas
2006-12-13, 09:53 AM
What I'm trying to decide right now is what is the comics target audience.

OOTS has a very clear target audience, those that know D&D (but not necessarily play it a lot) and its inevitable connection with fantasy in general. Given there are a number of people that don't directly fit the target audience, but the majority do. It was clear that was where the comic was heading from page 1.

With Erfworld I'm not sure what sort of audience they are trying for. Seems like they have some RTS elements, some childishness with some older comments and some obscure references. Unless just one or two aspects of everything that it might be takes a stronger focus I think it will be rather hard to find too many people that fit with the comic. Being here and given the nature of the net I bet it will still get a lot of readers but I don't know how strong and loyal of a fanbase it will create on its own.

But of course I'm willing to give it time and see how it develops.

Jorkens
2006-12-13, 09:56 AM
I didn't understand that reference at all. I feel like a lot of the things that are meant to be referential jokes here (to some game or system I've never played) are *so* obscure that they'll be lost on a lot of the people who've never played this game/system/MMORPG. That's the danger of inside jokes -- if they're too far inside, then too few people will understand them enough to continue reading them. VGCats, Penny Arcade, OOTS -- these all seem very good at making their jokes general enough that anyone who's vaguely or passingly familiar with at least the genre or system can get them.

What is this comic based on, anyway?
AFAICT, nothing in particular. It looks like the combat system might be based on a turn based wargame, but almost none of the jokes that I've picked up on and laughed at so far have needed any specialist knowledge. I think it's more that you need a certain sort of sense of humour.

Actually, I think that the lack of a well defined system / world for the comic to be based on might be part of what's causing some people to have problems with it. Particularly compared with OotS, and more generally a lot of D&D campaigns and even more generally quite a bit of fantasy fiction, which tend to bolt on particular characters and political setups to a standardized and well known world. Erfworld's a bit weirder and we don't really know much about it. Which for me is part of the fun of fantasy.

Maurog
2006-12-13, 09:59 AM
So far, I like the comic very much. The childish aspects don't bother me at all, the art is very well done, and the jokes have just the right subtlety. It has a unique style, and the plot intrigues me as well. I will definitely read each new strip as it comes out.

Grungydan
2006-12-13, 11:34 AM
Not my style. I don't like the art, I don't like the dialog (I dislike comics that try to set a tone or feel by using silly/made up/incorrect words), and since I don't like or play the types of games that it refers to, it doesn't resonate with me at all.

I'll probably go back to ignoring it now.

cnsvnc
2006-12-13, 11:56 AM
I'll wait until 20th or so page before I really start to pay attention to what's going on. I'm not into webcomics much, only webcomics I really care about are Jack and (surprise! surprise!) OotS. I got into both of them in the middle, where there was already enough material for me to decide whether I like it or not. It's still too early to voice love or hate.

That aside, I despise console RPGs (including FFs) and the art kinda reminds me of them. But dwagons and twolls are good. Titanic Elvises are better. And there's Wanda, I really like her (not visually, but her personality kinda reminds me of a certain goblin).

Djagir
2006-12-13, 02:22 PM
My own opinion is that, while I don't think it's horrid, I don't believe that the style agrees with me. There are several aspects that I find personally unappealing:
The world vocabulary, both the lisped names (gobwin, dwagon, spidew, gwiffon, twoll, erf) and the magic names (findamancer, croakamancer). While these are "cutesy" and would make amusing one-time gags, they grow grating very quickly for me as a recurring theme.
The—for lack of a better description—bobble-head art style. This is pretty much just a personal preference, but I simply don't care for the large-head small-body art style.
The facial expressions. Switching from detailed facial expressions (e.g., p. 6 panels 3, 5) to the extremely simplistic ones (p. 6, panels 7, 9) doesn't appeal to me. It's fine as an occasional "stunned" expression, but constant use (especially as some characters, such as Stanley, appear to be done perpetually in that mode) feels "off" to me.
The "total incompetent in command" trope. It makes it very difficult to have sympathy for the competent characters (in part because you wonder why they simply don't take over).
Scatological humor. I'm afraid this just does nothing for me and, in fact, makes me think worse of the comic.It's not that I think that the comic is badly done, per se, but I feel that I'm very much not in the comic's target audience (which I'm mildly disappointed by, but it's not like I'm owed anything). I'm sure that there are people who will enjoy it, but I'm just not among them.

Sunflower
2006-12-13, 04:38 PM
I really wanted to like this comic because getting two butt-kicking comics on one site would be even better than just having one, but... I can't stand it :(

I found the characters either forgettable or irritating, and the jokes and references to be forced and overly self-conscious. I felt while I was reading it that the jokes kind of jumped out and yelled "Hey, I'm funny in a quirky way!" instead of just being a natural part of the storyline. It takes a lot to turn me off a web comic, but somehow Erfworld managed to do it.

What I like about so many other web comics (including OOTS) is that the humor comes from the interactions of the characters, and the story itself, but in Erfworld it seems backwards, as if the jokes and quirks were put in first, and the characters and plot were secondary.

I think the art is fine, but it doesn't really seem to fit with the writing, in a way that's often jarring. The only thing that irritates me is the round old style eyes, but of course that's a question of personal taste, as is everything else I've written here.

I'm glad to see that a lot of people like it and can enjoy it, but it's most definitely not my cup of tea.

Tsalnar Nalaran
2006-12-13, 08:58 PM
I don't like erfworld at all! Next to OOTS it's basically nothing. So far I haven't laughed once, or even seen a joke. I'm hoping that the writer will make it more funny in the future. It would also help if there was something that explains what happened before this point in the story. Maybe a brief summary.

EddieBird
2006-12-14, 12:05 AM
Mostly I love it. I want a hammer that turns walnuts into pigeons.The only thing I don't like is the gwyffon that looks like an easter marshmellow.

Maurog
2006-12-14, 12:12 AM
It will feel different with 20 or so comics in... OOTS #1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html) is in the middle of a campaign, already inside a dungeon and already inside a battle. You don't get any plot exposition until #13 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html) and frankly, by that point there is still less plot in OOTS than right now in Erworld. I guess it's ok for people not to get any of the jokes, since all comics are unique and appeal to their own audiences. At the very least everybody agrees that Erfworld is different from OOTS despite being hosted on Rich's site.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-12-14, 04:00 AM
If the authors are weeping somewhere, keep in mind that the poll shows the majority like it. Critics just post more.

*Death waits for more comic goodness with obscure weferances*

Yendal
2006-12-14, 04:06 AM
I like the art, the humor is good, but the strips are a little short for the apparent size of the story that's trying to be told. More needs to be developed per strip...more than half of half of a dialog, anyway, which is what I got from #7. Though that might have been exacerbated by the fact that we got 6 full strips just before that one. I'll keep tuning in.

Argiwald
2006-12-14, 06:52 AM
Designer: Hey, bud how ya doing?

Artist: Good, good, just stinking up the place you know, same old same.

Designer: Sweet, hey, turns out I was just talking to what’s his face over at the giant ITP and he says they were thinking about making a new comic strip to partner up with the OOTS.

Artist: No way!

Designer: Totally, so I was thinking, I dunno about making something that completely sucks and I was, you know wondering if you’d be game to help me.

Artist: Dude, are you serious? I’m totally in on that!

Designer: Ok, ok, good deal. Now the concept I’ve come up with is unorthodox, but don’t worry, it’s still going to be bad.

Artist: Right, good show.

Designer: But I just don’t want it to be lame, my friend, I want it to blow chunks and that’s why I came to you. I need artwork that will not only make stick people look like a Rembrandt, but I want it to be ugly and really juvenile, like dragon’s pooping and little, ultra-annoyingly cute things and books that act like ICQ and Elvis, OMG, it has to have Elvis, the fat, old one too from the Hawaiian special, only, come on man, he’s gotta look stupid.

Artist: Dude, let me stop you right there. Everything you just said is my specialty.

Designer: High five! <slap> But we can’t stop there. I’m seeing a convoluted story that starts off at a snails’ pace, but jumps around so much nobody’s going to be able to tell what’s going on.

Artist: Dude, wow.

Designer: Hold on I’m still going, next I’m going to take established ideas like Goblins and necromancers, but I’m going to put a spin on them so that it’s a little newer, a little fresher.

Artist: But I thought-

Designer: Oh don’t worry, this’ll still be terrible.

Artist: Whew, you had me going there!

Designer: Instead of Goblin, gobwin, huh? Instead of necromancer, croakamancer.

Artist: Oh man, you’re a genius, those names suck hard!

Designer: I know, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg, honestly when we are done with this thing people are going to be so blown away by our ineptitude they won’t even read it for free when they’re absolutely bored stiff. It’ll be legendary.

Artist: I bow down before you, you are the king, but what should we call it?

Designer: All I know is I want it to end with world. I dunno. It’s should be cute and fairly fruity, hmm. Is there a way we can combine the words Smurf and Elf together somehow?

jami
2006-12-14, 07:13 AM
First off, how did you get a transcript of that conversation?

Second, I wasn't aware that erf was a fruit. I'll have to wikipedia that sometime.

Third, you also managed to leave out the part where we both agreed to prance around naked throwing rose petals and rice whenever a bell rings!

:smallwink:

Fire_Wolf
2006-12-14, 09:23 AM
I am mostly undecided, but I will keep checking out new updates because I'm intregued enough.

I like the art style (though it appears that the artist needs some time to ease into it a bit, but that's not unusual for new comics). The backgrounds, for all their simplicity, look great. I quite enjoy the unusual character proportions too. It works for me.

The humour ... isn't bad, but there doesn't seem to be much of it. There doesn't seem to many actual jokes, and a lot of the pages end on serious notes. Actually, some of the pages end without resolution, serious or comedic, which doesn't help, since there seems like there's little reward to keep reading. You can get away with this in print, but not on the internet.

The plot hasn't really established itself yet, but I can see a lot of potential. The problem is there's so little actual progression in each comic that people will become bored long before the introductions are complete. By now we should either be starting to care about the core characters (and I'm not currently sure who these are yet, to be honest), or starting to care about the plot. One or the other has to start pretty soon.

All in all, I like where this is heading, but there's just not enough of it. Everything seems so sparse - not enough dialogue, humour, drama... Even the art seems a overly restrained, when Wanda arrives to see Lord Stanley, the courtyard is painfully devoid of any features of interest). The field in #7 is creepily devoid of anything whatsoever.

I can tell this is good stuff, but it's just spread way too thinly.

Fenix
2006-12-14, 10:28 AM
This comic desperatly needs updates with more than one page. Or daily updates. It is different type than OOTS where almost every single strip can be enjoyed by itself.

Fael IsilLuin
2006-12-14, 10:56 AM
Saying it is crap, would be too kind.

Teristen
2006-12-14, 11:43 AM
I'm kind of so-so on the new comic, but I'm hoping that is because there isn't much to read yet. (So smart to release several pages at once, because one page at a time at the beginning would have killed it.)

I will continue to read it (mostly because it's easy to go to, as I check OotS three times each week) and as the story develops, I hope I have reason to visit here five times each week! I like the characters from the first few pages. I'm hoping the others will flesh out as well. I probably depend more on good character development than I do on artwork to read a story.

Anyhow, my votes were I like the storyline/plot and I will continue reading the comic as long as it doesn't get worse. (I think that's a funny way of putting it, but probably very accurate for most voters.)

Nanorider426
2006-12-14, 12:37 PM
I rather like it, although I agree with some that it's a bit difficult to be absolutely sure; I takes a bit of time to get used to a new setting when you're a OOTS fan. Like many others I'll wait and give the story some time to unfurl.

On the positive side I must say that I really like the humourous twist to the normal RPG-language. Some roleplayers that I have known over the years have had that habit of taking themselves and the rules much too seriously. This is not in the spirit of the game if you ask me. Roleplaying is supposed to be fun, and you shouldn't too serious about it. At least not all the time. Everything needs to be poked fun at from time to time, and the twisting of the language - that some of the people, who don't like Erfworld, seems to take offense of - was the first thing that really made me look and read it again. To me at least, that's the main reason that I kept reading it - and will keep reading it in the near future.

Short comments :
- The dialogue is good. Lots of dry intelligent wit and underplayed humour, which I like. Keep it up.

- The artwork is also good. Clean lines and nice crisp colours. Makes me think of classics like Bone and Cerebus (although both b/w) and web-comics Toysville and Wally & Osborne. It doesn't seem at all like manga to me, as some has mentioned. One of the main reasons : small eyes. :smallwink:

- The plot. Hmmm, not much of a plot up till now. We are just getting to know the characters for the moment, so I'll just wait and see. But it could get very interesting.

Signing off.

theKOT
2006-12-14, 12:57 PM
First off, how did you get a transcript of that conversation?

Second, I wasn't aware that erf was a fruit. I'll have to wikipedia that sometime.

Third, you also managed to leave out the part where we both agreed to prance around naked throwing rose petals and rice whenever a bell rings!

:smallwink:
That post was funnier than your entire comic! I can hear the smoke alarms going off right now, cause you just got BURNED!!!

Seriously though, it's a good thing you can laugh at yourself. It'll help during the long recovery from those third degree schorchings you just received.

jami
2006-12-14, 01:28 PM
That post was funnier than your entire comic! I can hear the smoke alarms going off right now, cause you just got BURNED!!!

Seriously though, it's a good thing you can laugh at yourself. It'll help during the long recovery from those third degree schorchings you just recieved.

I tend to not take myself too seriously.

AngryGreek
2006-12-14, 03:24 PM
It's been said earlier in this thread, but I'll repeat it here. If this comic had not been posted on Rich's website, I suspect it would quickly go the way of the dinosaur. The artwork is somehow unappealing. I'm not saying the artist is unskilled, simply that the way the artwork for this particular comic comes together is somehow aesthetically displeasing.

The humour is lacking. I realize humour is subjective, but I can find just about anything funny. This strip lacks humour, in a large way.

My final complaint has to be the baby tawk. It's not cute, or funny, it is irritating. Calling a dragon a dwagon doesn't make me want to read your comic. Calling a griffon a gwiffon doesn't do the job either. In fact, these devices are simply making me shake my head in the realization that this webcomic will be dead to me. Again, if this comic made it's debut anywhere other than here, it would be dead before it started.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Aliquid
2006-12-14, 04:42 PM
I tend to not take myself too seriously.As opposed to some other people on the boards.... who appear to take themselves waaay too seriously.

Not to mention the huge egos. "I don't like the comic, therefore it won't do well." It is quite amusing that these people think their opinion actually makes a difference, or that anyone should care.

Constructive criticism is handy, explanations of why you like the comic is handy. Otherwise it is just a bunch of words on a screen wasting bandwidth.

Aliquid
2006-12-14, 04:49 PM
The humour is lacking. I realize humour is subjective, but I can find just about anything funny. This strip lacks humour, in a large way. And I thought the TV show Full House was a complete waste of time with no entertainment value at all.... yet it continued to run for years and years.

Clearly my disdain for the show didn't get it pulled off the air.

So I say to those of you who dislike this comic and think it will die:
"Don't hold your breath"

theKOT
2006-12-14, 05:46 PM
And I thought the TV show Full House was a complete waste of time with no entertainment value at all.... yet it continued to run for years and years.

"Don't hold your breath"
So this webcomic will do well because you like it? Or will it succeed because a poll in its section of the forums yields positive results? Unless you... Scratch that; unless anyone is psychic, they don't know what will happen, period. It is very presumptuous of you to soapbox and call everybody out like that.

Aliquid
2006-12-14, 06:27 PM
So this webcomic will do well because you like it?I don't know if it will do well or not, and I never claimed I did. And I never said that I liked it (or didn't like it). I said that people who think the comic will die because they don't like it shouldn't hold their breath.

I thought I made it clear in my post that my opinion makes no difference...

Or will it succeed because a poll in its section of the forums yields positive results? Unless you... Scratch that; unless anyone is psychic, they don't know what will happen, period.Exactly. Nobody knows how well it will do, but a bunch of people are arrogant enought to post comments saying that the comic won't last becasue they don't like it.

It is very presumptuous of you to soapbox and call everybody out like that.I calls them as I sees them

theKOT
2006-12-14, 06:29 PM
I calls them as I sees them
And everyone predicting failure was simply doing the same.

Sunflower
2006-12-14, 07:50 PM
The Giant was asking people for opinions, and the author and artist also seem interested in what we think of the comic. I think they're thick skinned enough to be able to handle constructive criticism, and witty enough to deal with anything not-quite-constructive too :smallwink:

Grungydan
2006-12-14, 09:52 PM
As opposed to some other people on the boards.... who appear to take themselves waaay too seriously.

Not to mention the huge egos. "I don't like the comic, therefore it won't do well." It is quite amusing that these people think their opinion actually makes a difference, or that anyone should care.

Constructive criticism is handy, explanations of why you like the comic is handy. Otherwise it is just a bunch of words on a screen wasting bandwidth.

And I find it amusing that you're giving your opinion on how little people's opinions matter, and thinking that yours means anything either.

Not all criticism need be constructive, especially when the call was for opinions, not help writing comics. Likewise, neither does making an opinion-based prediction offer evidence of an inflated ego.

Soapbox speeches whitewashing groups of people, on the other hand.

Funny how that works.

SilentKiller
2006-12-14, 10:19 PM
Well, the comic confused me, I don't get the plot and the names are confusing. I'll probably get it later on, but that's my first impression.

Ingeloakastimizilian
2006-12-14, 10:40 PM
Well, I guess I'm in the same boat as many people... I'll wait until a few pages have accumulated before reading more and hopefully that will help since the plot will need time to unfold. I think that's the main reason I'm not getting into it at all... it's like the author knows that the plot will take forever to develop so tries to speed it up by cramming alot into one panel. There's not really any way around it though. Artwork is good, not my style but the talent is there, nonetheless. The baby-talk has got to go for me to keep reading it, but I don't really count since the polls indicate people love it and maybe it won't get as stale as I think. Overall at this point: not particularly interested and I wouldn't ever see it again if it weren't linked below OOTS but I'll at least give it more time and a second chance.

Also, to theKOT and Aliquid: Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics.. even if you win, you're still retarded.

SiD
2006-12-14, 11:01 PM
On first impressions, I can't say that it really 'does it' for me. The art has its moments, but it's not always clear what's going on. Without reading a load of other threads in this forum and thus not knowing how the art is produced, it almost looks like a mix of cel-rendered 3D character models over painted backgrounds - a good idea, and the actual character design seems solid (the girls in particular have a good overall style to them), but the characters seem to lack definition in the final product and the viewing angles aren't always intuitive.

The story and setting have some good touches - I particularly like the X-mancers as infuriatingly amusing puns - but I'm finding that it doesn't keep my interest, and some characters (Stanley - is he meant to look like Eminem, by the way? I'm presuming the reference is to 'Stan') annoy me more than intrigue me.

The one thing I really dislike, though, is the choice of font for the speech balloons. It's distractingly unclear and just doesn't flow well.

Overall, it scores a 'meh' so far. I'd like to like it, and I think it has potential, but at the moment it isn't pushing the buttons.

Aliquid
2006-12-14, 11:04 PM
And I find it amusing that you're giving your opinion on how little people's opinions matter, and thinking that yours means anything either.I don't think it does.

Not all criticism need be constructive, especially when the call was for opinions, not help writing comics. Likewise, neither does making an opinion-based prediction offer evidence of an inflated ego.No, but the way they phrase it does.

Soapbox speeches whitewashing groups of people, on the other hand.

Funny how that works.now now, if you are attacking my integrity, we are dealing with a pot calling a kettle black.

Also, to theKOT and Aliquid: Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics.. even if you win, you're still retarded.Hey, don't knock winning at the special olympics. Seriously. Have you seen how happy those athletes are when they win? If I could get that level of joy by arguing on the internet, I would be glued to the screen 24/7

jami
2006-12-14, 11:15 PM
Hey, don't knock winning at the special olympics. Seriously. Have you seen how happy those athletes are when they win? If I could get that level of joy by arguing on the internet, I would be glued to the screen 24/7

HAHAHA! :smallbiggrin:

theKOT
2006-12-14, 11:44 PM
Also, to theKOT and Aliquid: Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics.. even if you win, you're still retarded.
Comparing me to a retarded person is mean to him. Now apologize to jimmy!

ryu_planeswalker
2006-12-15, 12:04 AM
I registered just to say this.

The comic is only 8 pages old so to you nay sayers give it time. If I based my opinion on the first 8 comics of many of the webcomics I read chances are I wouldn't have nearly as many comics as I do now on my list.

and now for something completely different

Its a good start, the story is semi interesting for only 8 pages, the characters seem a little lacking to me but that will change with time. It has some serious potential and has a very nice style of humor.

Exalted_Hater
2006-12-15, 02:28 AM
I kinda think Erfworld isn't suposed to be slap-stic/over-the-top humor like OotS and 8BT...

that said...

i think i'm noticing a trend... the better the art work, the more serious the comic.

Don't get me wrong, I love OotS! the art, the jokes and the characters... and that story! best part of it! but it has only made me fall out of my chair laughing about 3 times. 8BT usualy has me ROFL every 30 to 60 pages... i think... but that's a Stabby/three stooges kind of funny.

any way, i'm gonna give Erfworld a try. i like all kinds of funny...

/stab!

BlueWizard
2006-12-15, 02:30 AM
The languages bothers me a bit, but the plot is quite fascinating. I want to know more, so it does its job of pulling you in...

AngryGreek
2006-12-15, 07:44 AM
Hey, Aliquid, can you please do something with me? DELETED Please read aloud with me, the title of this thread. Ready?

"What do you think of Erfworld after reading the first few pages?"

DELETED Now, please explain how you feel justified in showing disdain for those of us who shared our thoughts, but felt that it sucked? The question was given, many answered, yet you felt the need to be antagonistic? Is there any particular reason for this? DELETED

Voice of Mod: Couching personal attacks in the form of "questions" is still flaming.

EDIT> In the future I will endeavour to not let myself become baited by other's veiled attacks ('huge egos', 'arrogant' (where I come from, telling someone they have a huge ego, or that they are arrogant is considered offensive)) and keep to the topic at hand. As an aside, it's good to see the red letters are back :) <EDIT

Jorkens
2006-12-15, 08:23 AM
Hey, Aliquid, can you please do something with me? Please read aloud with me, the title of this thread. Ready?

"What do you think of Erfworld after reading the first few pages?"

Now, please explain how you feel justified in showing disdain for those of us who shared our thoughts, but felt that it sucked?
Personally, I've got no problem with people who say what they thought of Erfworld. If they thought it sucked and said so, fair play to 'em. What's irritating is the people who've interpreted 'what did you think of it' as 'please abuse the creators and make blanket statements like "this lacks all humour" despite the fact that lots of people have already said they've found it funny.' That, I think, is arrogant.

But yeah, I'm not Aliquid but for my part I'm sorry if my irritation at the minority of arrogrant pricks has come out in replies to those who've just been giving their honest opinion.

AngryGreek
2006-12-15, 08:27 AM
Normally I would precede posts like that with "I think" or "I feel", to make it clear that these beliefs are my own. I didn't think it was necessary in this thread given the title *shrug*. Goes to show the old adage 'never assume' still holds true.

To clarify, my statements about this comic (that I obviously do not like much at all) are my personal opinions. I hope that clarifies a few things. In the future, maybe we should have threads titled 'Please tell us what you think as long as it's positive' to save us from public crucifixion.

Lord Silky
2006-12-15, 09:01 AM
I didn't expect an 'OotS' spin off. I did expect it to be of the same quality and for the humor to be more intelligent and relevant. I have to say I'm mostly disappointed. I'll continue to read it for a time to give it some room to grow on me but the first few issues really left me scratching my head more often than not.

Jorkens
2006-12-15, 09:07 AM
Normally I would precede posts like that with "I think" or "I feel", to make it clear that these beliefs are my own. I didn't think it was necessary in this thread given the title *shrug*. Goes to show the old adage 'never assume' still holds true.

To clarify, my statements about this comic (that I obviously do not like much at all) are my personal opinions. I hope that clarifies a few things. In the future, maybe we should have threads titled 'Please tell us what you think as long as it's positive' to save us from public crucifixion.
FWIW (and I'm not expecting you to frame this and stick it on the wall or anything) I had you in with the honest opinions rather than arrogant pricks.

Anyway, I'm going to go and do something constructive...

AngryGreek
2006-12-15, 09:23 AM
Too late, already framed, matted, and hanging beautifully on my wall :-P

thornir
2006-12-15, 09:24 AM
I'm on the fence for now. I really like the art style and technique. I like some of where this has gone so far, but I'm afraid that some of the game-oriented "jokes" that appear to be just part of the world, such as "doombats only have 22 move" could get annoying if they are used throughout the life of the comic. The pace seems very slow so far and, if it is only updated twice a week, it seems like it might take way too long to get anywhere. For strips 7 and 8 I got to the end of each and thought, "That's it?"

I think I will probably stick with it, but will probably only read it once every other week or so when I have at least four new strips at one time. Maybe then I won't feel it is so slow.

Sam de Cheese
2006-12-15, 09:35 AM
i dont realy think it's that great, im gonna keep reading it though, cos you never know how it might get better. i just remebered i came on the computer to look fo a zelda guide... ok goodby

Amphetryon
2006-12-15, 10:01 AM
I really like the quality of the artwork. The style is not my favorite, but it probably will be less distracting with time. The 'w is the new r' speech-motif is off-putting to me, as are 'croakomancers' et al. They both feel like contrived silliness, whereas I prefer silliness that comes off as more organic. The dialogue of OotS often comes across as 'the player says this in character, forgetting s/he is speaking in character', which is a funny break of the 4th wall for me. By comparison, the dialogue of Erfworld thus far comes across as 'the player says this in character, thinking it'll be funny to make the characters talk like this'. Thus far, the latter approach is rather scattershot in its success. Finally, jokes that take two or three strips to develop worked well when we got 6 strips in one go; they'll be a much tougher sell with, IMO, smaller returns if we have to wait 5 days to get a joke. I put myself in the 'I'll check it from time to time' category.

edit: Realized why the plot felt familiar: one of the vignettes from the original Heavy Metal movie had a plot that felt very similar, to this point.

Aliquid
2006-12-15, 11:59 AM
Hey, Aliquid, can you please do something with me? DELETED Please read aloud with me, the title of this thread. Ready?

"What do you think of Erfworld after reading the first few pages?"Ok, I read it aloud. My co-workers are looking at me funny now...

Now, please explain how you feel justified in showing disdain for those of us who shared our thoughts, but felt that it sucked? The question was given, many answered, yet you felt the need to be antagonistic? Is there any particular reason for this?This is a fallacy that I quite often see on message boards. I will try to be clear. I do not see anything wrong with saying you don't like the comic. I don't see anything wrong with someone saying that it is the worst comic they ever read... that is not the issue.

My issue is twofold:
1) People posting negative feedback in a rude, arrogant and unconstructive fashion.
2) People being too self absorbed to realize that just because they don't like it, doesn't mean that nobody else likes it.

EDIT> In the future I will endeavour to not let myself become baited by other's veiled attacks ('huge egos', 'arrogant' (where I come from, telling someone they have a huge ego, or that they are arrogant is considered offensive))And telling someone that their artwork sucks is offensive too. It is perfectly possible to express your dislike for something without having to be rude or offensive about it. For the record, you did not do this. Unlike others, you had the courtesy to say "I'm not saying the artist is unskilled". You expressed your issues, and tried to do so without insulting the artist.

Normally I would precede posts like that with "I think" or "I feel", to make it clear that these beliefs are my own. I didn't think it was necessary in this thread given the title *shrug*. Goes to show the old adage 'never assume' still holds true.Actually, you did say "Just my 2 cents worth." and you said "I realize humour is subjective".... but then you appeared to contradict yourself by saying "but I can find just about anything funny. This strip lacks humour, in a large way."

Maybe I read something into this comment other than what you intended, but it sounds like you are saying:
"I can find anything funny, and I don't find this funny, therefore I can conclude that this comic is not funny as a factual statement rather than an opinion"
The fact that you said "but" after "I realize humour is subjective", gramatically implies that in this case, you believe this is not a subjective observation.

Anyway, my comment to your thread was "don't hold your breath". My attacks on large egos was a different thread.

Realistically though... people should be observant enough to notice that the poll shows that people who dislike the comic are a minority. A fairly big minority, but a minority none the less.

AngryGreek
2006-12-15, 12:19 PM
I hope you don't work out in the open, people will assume you are talking to yourself and call HR in, giving you an overly long Xmess vacation.

The only issue I have with what you wrote is the following -
My issue is twofold:
1) People posting negative feedback in a rude, arrogant and unconstructive fashion.
2) People being too self absorbed to realize that just because they don't like it, doesn't mean that nobody else likes it.

The purpose of the poll wasn't to see how the strip could be improved, but what people's thoughts were. In that vein, nobody was required or expected to respond in a constructive manner. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean that they were wrong.

Referring to people as being self absorbed, is also baiting (I won't bite, I've learned my lesson, believe me!). Nobody who has posted negatively about the strip is obtuse enough to believe that nobody likes it. The numbers of the poll and the actual posts speak for themselves. If someone says "I hate it, it will never last" they are not necessarily discounting the opinions of the people who actually do like it. They are merely voicing their personal opinion on the topic, as self absorbed and arrogant as that may seem. It was, after all, the purpose of this entire thread.

Now, after having read many posts here, and having talked at length with certain people, I have come to the conclusion that the average IQ of this board is significantly higher than most boards. That being said, perhaps we can collaberate on something useful, like another use for a d12, instead of spinning our wheels about this? :)

prufock
2006-12-15, 02:50 PM
I think I'm too late to vote, but I'm not impressed thus far (strip 8). The background art is actually my favourite part of it; the character art is not my cup of tea. Ridiculously big swords, even bigger heads, and a definite pop-anime influence on the facial expressions and hand renderings. The colouring is nice, on the plus side.

As far as the story goes, it's caught my interest, and I like the "ultimate commander" divination idea. I could get into the characters, except for one thing...

The dialogue.

The dialogue absolutely kills it for me. "Lookamancers"? "Findamancers"? I guess the authors thought this was a cute take on the dialect, but I just find it annoying. Speaking of annoying, I HATE this apparently toddler-inspired tendency to replace Rs with Ws and Ls with Rs. Speech impediment =/= humour.

Actually, nothing in this comic so far has equated to humour for me. I haven't laughed. I know it was said that the humour was more spaced out, but it's been 8 strips now.

I'll probably tune in, just to see where the story goes.

Mr._Blinky
2006-12-15, 05:33 PM
And I thought the TV show Full House was a complete waste of time with no entertainment value at all.... yet it continued to run for years and years.

"Don't hold your breath"
Just to play devil's advocate, since I do like the comic (though I've got to admit the 'w's are a little offsetting), on the opposite end of the spectrum you have Firefly. Firefly was amazing, possibly the best show I've ever seen, and yet it was off the air in less than a standard season. Weird things happen, and things can keep going or stop abruptly because of or despite the wishes of individuals. I like it, but I think I'd enjoy it a lot more without the excessive 'w's. Unfortunately, I think it's a bit late for the author to change that. Of course, there might actually be a logical reason for it rather, than it just being flavor, and I'd like that. But if there isn't really any point to it, then there just isn't a point to it.

Mr. Moon
2006-12-15, 09:48 PM
No. I do NOT like Erfworld. It is a waste of pixels. The plot line looks like a cheasy remake of some bad video game. The art is good, but unpleasing. OoTs is MUCH better.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-15, 10:23 PM
So far i say that its pretty good its not OOTS but i like it anyway :smallamused: thing is we jsut dont know the full plot and story yet so once tahts in i will know for sure...weitehr i love it or hate it im not sure :smallfrown:

TinSoldier
2006-12-16, 12:50 AM
I'm very glad that the authors are thick-skinned. I know that I probably would have quit in the face of so much criticism!

Again, I really like the artwork. I'm not familiar with turn-based fantasy games but I am hoping that I will be able to continue reading the comic despite that. That and the "w for r" issue bothers me a bit.

This is not OotS. The authors have said it is more of a graphic novel format than a joke-a-strip format and I'm fine with that. I don't know if I would be reading it if it wasn't on GiantITP even though I do read other comics with as good or better artwork that deals with source material that I'm not familiar with (WTF Comics (http://www.wtfcomics.com/) comes to mind).

So I'm still willing to give it a chance. Rich Burlew has good taste and I don't think that he would have agreed to host this particular comic if he didn't think it was any good.

Wallyz
2006-12-16, 01:12 AM
Holy K-Wrap. Rob and Jamie- Asa reader and writer of sci fi/fantacy and conessour of graphic novels and avid reader of online strips-

This is a very cool project.
I would like to see these negatroids disrespecting attempt anything creative. The Story line in AZM wasn't that interesting for me, but I read it for the art. That creativity was interesting enough to keep me going back. Now, there are some things, like Garfield where there is no creativity, no plot no nothin', but instead of Calling Jim Davis a no talent hack, I just don't read it.

I challenge all the negators on here to go work to create something. Anything. Write, draw, whatever. Just to develop your compassion for the artist.

And if you still aren't happy with erfworld, I am sure Rob and Jamie will refund the cost of admission.

Grungydan
2006-12-16, 03:17 AM
I would like to see these negatroids disrespecting attempt anything creative.
I challenge all the negators on here to go work to create something. Anything. Write, draw, whatever. Just to develop your compassion for the artist.

Now that's beyond ridiculous.

jami
2006-12-16, 11:31 AM
Holy K-Wrap. Rob and Jamie- Asa reader and writer of sci fi/fantacy and conessour of graphic novels and avid reader of online strips-

This is a very cool project.
I would like to see these negatroids disrespecting attempt anything creative. The Story line in AZM wasn't that interesting for me, but I read it for the art. That creativity was interesting enough to keep me going back. Now, there are some things, like Garfield where there is no creativity, no plot no nothin', but instead of Calling Jim Davis a no talent hack, I just don't read it.

Ah, thank you for the compliment. The AZM comic is/was sort of my testing ground for a few things art wise. Hopefully, if you compare AZM and Erfworld you'll be able to tell that I'm using a lot of what I worked out in AZM in Erfworld.

I hear that Jim Davis doesn't even draw his comic anymore. I appreciate the compliment and I too have tired of Garfield, but you can't deny that he's got staying power. And he's created a brand that has stood the test of time with merchandising and even those silly movies. Gotta give credit where credit's due.

Silencer
2006-12-16, 01:02 PM
Elvis(h) Titans and OverLord1 won me, but why the hell does the villain look like Eminem?

"Stan" ? :)

Wooter
2006-12-16, 02:50 PM
My main problem with the comic is that head size is very inconsistant. In panel three of page seven, Jillian's head is huge, and in the last panels of page eight, it's much smaller.

Calmypal
2006-12-16, 03:03 PM
ElvisesIt's a little known fact that "Elvis" is actually a third-declension Latin noun. Therefore, an Elvis and an Elvis and an Elvis make three Elves.

teratorn
2006-12-17, 02:44 AM
Designer: Hey, bud how ya doing?

Artist: Good, good, just stinking up the place you know, same old same.

Designer: Sweet, hey, turns out I was just talking to what’s his face over at the giant ITP and he says they were thinking about making a new comic strip to partner up with the OOTS.
[...]

I like Erfworld but that was brilliant.

I hope this is not interpreted as a flame. This thread is sort of a cultural shock for me, I never expected people to voice so strongly and in such depth their dislike for the comic. Not only that, that they would feel so passionate about not liking it, that they would follow the thread and argue about it. Quite an achievement for the authors of the strip, they already have "haters". There are some likers, but no real lovers yet.

I'm one of the likers but i don't feel yet the urge for such a passionate stance. I'm in waiting mode.

As opposed to some other people on the boards.... who appear to take themselves waaay too seriously.

As long as the authors of the strip don't give up because of that, I hope people keep pouring that kind of comments. If something is good it must give rise to strong opinions, either for or against it. And some of the negative criticisms fascinate me.

Mr._Wilson
2006-12-18, 06:41 AM
I'm intrigued by the plot, and I think the art is interesting....

The humor and the childlike aesthetic.... I'm not sold on. I don't hate them, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. Gobwin, Croakamancer, Findamancer, and Dwagon in place of Goblin, Necromancer, Diviner, and Dragon is an interesting choice, but it's the kind of linguistic ploy that, if not handled carefully, can get a little tiresome. As for the humor... well, it's a bit of an adjustment...

So, in summary, I'm mostly in wait and see mode, right now.

QFT. I'll keep reading for now, but it could go either way.

Zephra
2006-12-18, 10:42 AM
I like Jillian, but hate Wanda.

divine
2006-12-19, 04:08 AM
first time reading it at all.. I got through about 5 before I decided I didn't even care what happened next.. it's somewhat confusing and not that funny

2cents

I'll just stick to the order <3
pass on this comic :smalltongue:

jsh
2006-12-19, 09:09 AM
I registered simply to say that I'm enjoying it so far. I only check in with three webcomics, and assuming the writing is continues to be worthwhile, I'll probably make this the fourth.

Umael
2006-12-19, 09:24 AM
My bet is that either this comic is going to develop into a fascinating thrill of a ride... or a slow-motion train wreck (or would that be twain weck?).

Either way, it has my interest.

On, and to everyone who keep saying "it's no OotS", I have something to say to you: "Thank you, Captains Obvious, I would have never guessed!"

(I know, I know, people were saying that more as an emphasis of their feeling, but still...)

Sereno
2006-12-19, 09:30 AM
Well, let's see.

Things I like: some of the jokes were good. "I can taste key lime pie." was great, the text-messaging book was cool, walnuts to pigeons was funny. the 'mancer thing is cute/funny, too. Much of the background art is very good.

Things I don't like: the "almost" anime/manga style of the characters against the quite realistic backgrounds is very jarring for me. Page three is a perfect example ... that goofy-looking "dwagon" over some really nice scenery. Dwagon, gwiffon, gobwin ... yuk, the baby-speak is hugely distracting to me.

I plan to keep reading, but only because it's here on GitP ... I wouldn't have bookmarked this on it's own strengths.

For me, the strength of a webcomic is the writing, not the art. So far, I'm just not sure about Erfworld's writing ... the cutesy-speak is still distracting me.

Gygaxphobia
2006-12-19, 11:36 AM
Quite an achievement for the authors of the strip, they already have "haters". There are some likers, but no real lovers yet.

*puts hand up* I love it. And not even in a love-to-hate kind of way.

Argiwald
2006-12-19, 12:38 PM
Voice of Mod - Not gonna play with the sock puppets. Get on under your real name if you have something to say.

Em
2006-12-19, 01:22 PM
LR33 and myself really don't like what we've seen of Erfworld. I'm not slating it - I think that a lot of people who read OOTS are simply the wrong audience.
I think a lot of comics are more about artwork than writing, including Erfworld - and while we both appreciate that the artwork is skilled, it's really, incredibly just not my thing. I only read comics for the writing and humour, and I don't think this writer uses words to their full effect.
Perhaps people who started reading OOTS because they were D&D nerds will appreciate Erfworld less than those who started reading it because they were comic nerds?
Don't flame me! I'm insulting neither group! It's just a theory...

WarriorTribble
2006-12-19, 01:42 PM
So far there's nothing I really like or hate about the comic. I'll just wait a month or so before making a judgement.

larnman2
2006-12-19, 02:02 PM
I think that this is a rather inauspicious time to start the comic. You're trying to get people hooked in to reading this story on the same page that Rich has hanging on the edge of our seat with what I can say is one of the tensest point in the story. I love Erfworld, but even with that, when I came here on any of the MWF and saw that OOTS was late I was still like " Oh. Well, I guess I can go read Erfworld." So people who are already indifferent are going to use Erfworld as a scapegoat for oots's lateness. I still love erfworld.

Electric
2006-12-19, 09:36 PM
Hmh, long time OOTS reader (and long time Erfworld reader, I suppose in the sense that I've been reading it as long as it's existed:smallwink: ), and I felt compelled upon reading Erfworld to register and voice my opinion. I really think Erfworld, thus far, is pretty darn cool. The artwork, in short, is phenomenal. Indeed, I nearly selected the art style on the poll as my primary reason for enjoying the comic. I can understand that many people are offput somewhat by the aesthetic, and I agree that it is rooted primarily in contemporary artistic visual themes. However, the work itself is good enough that it rises above cliche, transcending the cramped throng of anime/saturday morning cartoon throwbacks to deliver something that I find refreshing in a familiar sense. A new twist on a style that has aged quickly due to oversaturation. Kinda cell shaded looking. Really quite wonderful.

Thus far it's more about the characters and dialogue for me. After comparing the first 9 pages of Erfworld with the first 9 pages of OOTS, I see infinitely more depth of story telling, more attention to the crafting of a tale in the former, rather than the focus on gagaminute (a word I believe I may have just made up) self contained strips of the latter. Whilst OOTS did develop into a character driven comic, as is evident primarily for me with the Azure City story arc (although it can't be argued that deeper characterisation had been building for some time, that was the first part that I really felt that the comic allowed them to propel the reader's interest of their own accord), Erfworld already is well on it's way to developing the kind of characters you either love or love to hate. Which is difficult for a comic still in it's infancy. Because people don't yet know why they should care. With OOTS, the reason was simple, people cared for Elan (for example) because he was the one that made them laugh so long ago with "bluff the stupid ogre", it seemed that he was finally developing a personality beyond 'archetypal bard'. Erfworld already features characters that are larger than the archetypes they represent, now all it needs is time for people to realise *why* they should care about them.

To be perfectly honest, I have found that for me, the first 9 pages of Erfworld far surpass the first 9 pages of OOTS. If the current incarnation of OOTS is anything to go by, I believe that Erfworld will, with time, supplant it as my (as well as many others) primary reason for visiting this site.

Bravo to the authors, and may your (no doubt soon to be huge) readership find their own reasons for liking Erfworld before too long!:smallsmile:

TheLamentation
2006-12-20, 04:03 AM
I should preface my first impression with two comments.
One, I read PartiallyClips daily (or at least, check it every day).
Two, I'm a joyless elitist (at least, most of the time).

I'm personally disliking it so far. The spelling changes (gwiffon, dwagon, gobwin) annoy me as a fan of proper spelling and a hater of children. References to things like "ORLY?" annoy me more than they make me laugh. The idiot overlord stereotype annoys me. The art is decent; I wouldn't call it good, but I wouldn't call it bad. The sense of humor tends to not be the sort I enjoy, which strikes me as odd given my enjoyment of PartiallyClips.

That said, I'll keep reading Erfworld. I don't know how long that'll last, but I'll give it a chance.

Erfworld already features characters that are larger than the archetypes they represent, now all it needs is time for people to realise *why* they should care about them.I'm not sure I agree. There's the idiot overlord, competent underling, and unfortunate henchmen on one side. There's the competent and handsome (and thus probably someone we're supposed to dislike) overlord and the brash, plucky underling on the other side. They'll undoubtedly develop, but I don't think you can say they've started out larger than their archetypes.

JohnnyBadhair
2006-12-20, 09:18 AM
:smallannoyed: No, I don't think I'll be following Erfworld anytime soon.

As much as I like the artwork, I just can't get past the writing. Many have commented thus far on the replacement of "l" and "r" in words and the contrived names for magicians and objects, so I won't say more about that other than that I find it extremely annoying, and no matter how hard I try to ignore it, I can't get past it. Apart from that, the dialog itself is stilted and poorly paced. This in itself detracts from the overall comic, but paired with the cutsey-ness factor, it hamstrings the entire effort.

Erfworld frustrates me in the same sense that Joss Weedon's Firefly frustrated me. From what I've seen so far, it should be so much better than it is. But it isn't and doesn't seem to be developing anytime soon.

Sorry guys. Maybe I'll check it out every couple of weeks/months (since the strip definitely reads better in large chunks, but only slightly) if I have the time, but you've lost me here.

Ambrogino
2006-12-20, 09:59 AM
I wan't to enjoy it, but I don't think I do. The art is gorgeous, and I don't have a problem with the slow burn model of storytelling (I read Brian Michael Bendis comics :smallwink: ). But the "baby talk" and meme jokes are just incredibly jarring to me - I actually find myself wincing and having to return to the page later. That's not a good sign for my prolonged enjoyment, though I'm going to take a look now and again and see whether any changes have occured.

larnman2
2006-12-20, 10:27 AM
I can't really tell, is it an MMorpg or other? Because the IMing gives off to MMOrpg, but the extensively long turns sound closer to something like warhammer. Maybe since on of the creators scans these posts, they can tell me.(By the way, I am not bashing that. If I made webcomic and came in contact with a thread solely devoted to impressions of the webcomic, I would watch it like a hawk:"Well what does he mean by that? Well what does that mean? Maybe I shoud go under an assumed name and defend my comic. Childish artwork? I Will Find Him And Beat Him Till His Eyes Bleed!"

Of course that's probably why I shouldn't start a webcomic.

Duke of URL
2006-12-20, 02:14 PM
I'm on the fence. Firstly, I just don't "get it" -- it clearly refers to some game or other, but I have no idea what. I also think the dialog and terminology is a little too "cutesy". On the other hand, the artwork is very nice. I'll give it a while longer to let it develop, but OotS had me hooked in less than 5 strips, and this one has me going "huh?" still through 9.

Mr_Teatime
2006-12-20, 03:05 PM
Not quite sure why people seem to think it's based on any pre-existing game. I see influences from a lot of stuff, but it's definately not based on a game the same way that OOTS is based on a game.

You've got me intrigued, Erfworld. Keep it up.:smallwink:

The Giant
2006-12-21, 06:55 AM
OK, I'm going to close this poll. Thanks for everyone's first impressions, but with 10 strips in the can, I htink everyone who's interested has already seen it and commented.