PDA

View Full Version : The art sucks.

Hydro
2006-12-07, 02:35 PM
The characters look absurd. Their limbs are too thick, their feet are too short, their hands are weird-shaped with fat fingers and five digits each. Every character's left eye seems to be the exact same size as the right. And their heads are all bizzar, non-circular shapes. It isn't even consistant: one character's head is shaped completely different from another's!

And what, pray tell, are those rediculous protrusions in the middle of their faces??

Horrible. Jamie Noguchi, go back to art school.

:smallwink:

Xilehxt
2006-12-07, 02:47 PM
Uh, hopefully you're being sarcastic. In case you're not, you don't have to watch the comic if you don;t like it.

ElfLad
2006-12-07, 02:48 PM
And what's with the long pants?

And even worse, sleeves!

pclips
2006-12-07, 02:49 PM
Uh, hopefully you're being sarcastic. In case you're not, you don't have to watch the comic if you don;t like it.

It was sarcasm and it was brilliant. :smallbiggrin:

grinner666
2006-12-07, 03:00 PM
It was sarcasm and it was brilliant. :smallbiggrin:

I would certainly hope so. After all the other strip on this site consists entirely of stick figures!!!!!!!!! :smallannoyed:

jami
2006-12-07, 03:07 PM
*sob* It's all so terribly true! Noses and five fingers all!

*runs away to sob in a corner*

Hilbert
2006-12-07, 03:15 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Reminds me of oots0339 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html)

What are these weird bumpy things between their eyes?

endoperez
2006-12-07, 04:18 PM
I would certainly hope so. After all the other strip on this site consists entirely of stick figures!!!!!!!!! :smallannoyed:

Either this was sarcasm and brilliant, or just... err... brilliant.

In case it isn't clear, see the last panel of this comic:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html

To the OP:
your post is ALSO brilliant! This whole thread is brilliant!

pclips
2006-12-07, 04:31 PM
your post is ALSO brilliant! This whole thread is brilliant!

Now that was definitely sarcasm. :smalltongue:

Grey Knight
2006-12-07, 05:07 PM

Did... did you read the post?

storybookknight
2006-12-07, 06:33 PM
Gonna have to find me a new sketch artist...

"Well, at least I still have my webcomic."

It's you, isn't it! Jamie!

inky13112
2006-12-07, 08:22 PM
I know right, what ARE those hideous bumpy things between there eyes?

Hee hee, I am in awe of your sarcasm skills. This gave me a good laugh. (or it would have if I could laugh and not be discovered as not doing my homework)

Axl_Rose
2006-12-08, 01:52 PM

That's just sad. I can see you now; you're watching a horror movie and you'll ask the guy sitting next to you, "oh my god, please tell me vampires aren't real!"

Om
2006-12-08, 02:12 PM
That's just sad. I can see you now; you're watching a horror movie and you'll ask the guy sitting next to you, "oh my god, please tell me vampires aren't real!"He got it wrong, easy enough to do with sarcasm on the internet, no need to jump him.

Solara
2006-12-08, 03:46 PM
ROFL! Nice one, Hydro. And here I thought it was gonna be a troll post, from the title. :biggrin:

It's just too bad I didn't think of it first... :(

Hydro
2006-12-08, 03:58 PM
Yea, misscommunications happen. No big deal. :smallsmile:

I personally didn't even think the wink-smiley should be necessary, but I suppose one can never be completely sure whether a post is completely in fun or half-serious.

Athelis
2006-12-08, 04:10 PM
Yeah thats one thign that always bugged me about communicating via text, it's normally near impossible to distinguish between sarcasm and seriousness.

danielf
2006-12-08, 09:05 PM
I think the art work is nice

EdgarVerona
2006-12-08, 09:15 PM
While I must admit that I don't find the art aesthetically pleasing, I think it is done intentionally: you can see a lot of skill in what's being done, and it seems pretty clear that a lot of those decisions on aesthetics were likely quite intentional.

My speculation is that it was done purposely to give a certain level of discomfort, and to also set it aside visually

Potential major spoiler:
(and, perhaps, to give the characters a more insect-like appearance? I put this in spoilers because, if my guess is right, it'd be a major spoiler. I get the feeling that they're actually insect-like creatures in a mini-world.)

TinSoldier
2006-12-08, 10:17 PM
I admit that I wasn't sure at first whether the first post was sarcastic. Probably because I wasn't familiar with the original poster.

Solara
2006-12-08, 10:19 PM
You mean the line about the 'ridulous protusions in the middle of their faces' didn't give it away? :smallbiggrin:

TinSoldier
2006-12-08, 10:20 PM
Nope. But I am rather dense, being made of tin and all :smallbiggrin: !

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2006-12-08, 10:27 PM
You know, I saw the title, and thought I'd pop in and throw out a compliemtary "Let's see YOU do better, punk" and a good draw-and-quartering. I love sarcasm at this level.

Potential major spoiler:
(and, perhaps, to give the characters a more insect-like appearance? I put this in spoilers because, if my guess is right, it'd be a major spoiler. I get the feeling that they're actually insect-like creatures in a mini-world.)
I thought of that when I saw that fact that their world was forged by FRICKIN' ELVIS PRESLEY!

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-08, 10:33 PM
Heh, man you really had me going there. I saw the title and started reading, and I was just thinking "OMG! this little punk..... oooooooo HA HAHAHA HA!"

faerwain
2006-12-09, 07:43 AM

I personally didn't even think the wink-smiley should be necessary, but I suppose one can never be completely sure whether a post is completely in fun or half-serious.

Yeah the smiley should have definetively give it away, not to mention "five digits" and "different head shapes"...Shall I really disgrace myself and admit that I still needed to read the thread and reread the original post to get it?
But taking that in account- your thread succeeded exactly :smallbiggrin:

But it's sometimes really hard to get sarcasm on a written text when you don't have nonverbal signs - and not being an english native makes it not easier. So nobel prize for the one inventing the smilies.

Spiryt
2006-12-09, 04:38 PM
Man your Nick and signature tell that you have humour sense... It's obviously sarcastic:smallbiggrin:

He got it wrong, easy enough to do with sarcasm on the internet, no need to jump him.

Yeah, sometimes when you read something on the Internet you dont know if it is provocation, sarcasm or, what's wars, serious post. Better to be sure :D

Tussy the Druid
2006-12-11, 05:32 PM
I'm so confused.... who's being sarcastic and who isn't?:confused:

*Pulls out a gun* Meh. I've lived a good life. *pulls trigger on gun only to find out there are no bullets inside, and is arrested for attempted suicide*

Orick the Warrior
2006-12-11, 07:47 PM
Sarcasm can be a great gift or dangerous enemy. In this case it was just plain funny.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 08:09 PM
well I don't like the art either and saying 'then just don't read it' is annoying as well... it was a new thing to the website so im sure alot of people read it and didnt enjoy something about it , or else they loved it... I for one was disappointed and will take stick figures over the new comic anyday

RoboticSheeple
2006-12-11, 09:57 PM
The internet can only convey Hatred. Any other attempt to show an emotion leads to vague, incomprehensible, verb-noun agreement; melt lions.

Big_Robot
2006-12-12, 12:30 AM
The art looks great to me, I like it a lot. It's just a different style, and that's a good thing. The only thing that needs work - and this should get better as the comic goes on - is the speech bubble layout. Some of them don't convey the conversations very well. But that's just a small thing.

:smallsmile:

Hydro
2006-12-12, 02:55 AM
For what it's worth, I love the art.

I don't think it's even fair to compare it to OoTS in terms of artistic merrit: most of Rich's pannels give us a blank floor, a blank wall, and some mostly-pre-drawn character art. While the scenes in Erfworld are beautiful.

Now, I'll admit that when Rich puts his mind to it he can construct some impressive scenes (like Xykon's army, among others), especially when you consider that he can achieve these visuals without straying from his stick figure motif. Heck, the fact that he invented such a vibrant and bemusing style is very impressive. I'm not knocking the Giant's artistic skills.

But I do think that Erfworld is a much richer comic artisticly. Every pannel is a work of art in its own right; having mostly just stuck to Penny Arcade and OoTS before now, that's not something that I am used to, but I can still appreciate it. ^_^

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-12, 05:51 AM

Yeah thats one thign that always bugged me about communicating via text, it's normally near impossible to distinguish between sarcasm and seriousness.

It gives you a new respect for traditional writers, who for thousands of years have had to struggle with nothing but bare text to communicate their feelings.

Except the ancient Egyptians, of course. Now there's prior art...

Zephra
2006-12-12, 02:05 PM
at least they have noses...
it must be hard to get all that done, even if it's twice a week. the jokes are dumb, though. I don't want to wait a week for a joke.

Maurog
2006-12-13, 04:52 AM
People, please use <sarcasim> tags where applicable. Unless of course you want certain people to get it wrong.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 12:02 PM
People, please use <sarcasim> tags where applicable. Unless of course you want certain people to get it wrong.

<sarcasm>Oh yeah, that's REALLY good spelling.</sarcasm>