PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Foxtrot

theKOT
2006-12-08, 01:30 PM
At least a daily version of it. I can't help but feel that this (http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/newsrelease/?view=468) is the beginning of the end for our favorite comic strip featuring an iguana. Although that comment at the end does leave open the possibility for some sort of animated series, those usually bomb.

TinSoldier
2006-12-08, 01:35 PM
That is sad... I love that strip!

Penguinizer
2006-12-08, 01:46 PM
It was a great comic :(

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-08, 01:59 PM
I am bummed about this. I love that cartoon I read it everyday at lunch.

theKOT
2006-12-08, 02:06 PM
Yeah, it's my favorite print comic currently in production, but now it looks like it will go the way of Calvin and Hobbes.

Ego Slayer
2006-12-08, 02:09 PM
Ooh dang... That's too bad. Though at least he isn't going to completely stop writing. Meh, I only get the Sunday paper anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Bookman
2006-12-08, 02:11 PM
Oh I hope this isn't true........

Though it appears so.
Nothing's been said on his news page though (http://homepage.mac.com/billamend/)

Joran
2006-12-08, 02:20 PM
I love Foxtrot. Alas, all good things must come to an end.

Although, for some reason, the web-comic MacHall affected me more when it shut down :(

theKOT
2006-12-08, 02:44 PM
Oh I hope this isn't true........

Though it appears so.
Nothing's been said on his news page though (http://homepage.mac.com/billamend/)
But it's there on the comic's page. (http://foxtrot.com/)

ElfLad
2006-12-08, 02:46 PM
Dang. This was probably my favorite news strip still printing.

Ah, well. There's still Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine, at least.

Bookman
2006-12-08, 02:56 PM
But it's there on the comic's page. (http://foxtrot.com/)

Ahhhhh crap :frown:

Dang. This was probably my favorite news strip still printing.

Ah, well. There's still Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine, at least.

Yep. Pearls OWNS.

I also like "Rudy Park"

but this is a sad day indeed.

Chunklets
2006-12-08, 03:08 PM
While I wouldn't say it's my favourite, Foxtrot is definitely in the upper echelon of newspaper comics, and I shall miss it. I wait with fear and trepidation to see what my local paper will replace it with.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2006-12-08, 04:41 PM
I love Foxtrot. Alas, all good things must come to an end.

Although, for some reason, the web-comic MacHall affected me more when it shut down :(

Hm...good comic ending (or about to)...wonderful webcomic ended...what do they have in common? Well, they're good/wonderful, and they're ending.

:eek:

Let's keep a very close eye on our resident Giant, shall we?

(And now, an epic poem on the transience of reality and fleeting beauty. Possibly about cherry blossoms.)

Overlord
2006-12-11, 07:58 AM
Hmm. That is sad. While I don't usually end up reading the daily comics anyway, this cannot be a good sign for the comic's future in the newspaper.

On another note, who do you think the first character to be killed off will be?

My money's on Peter.

:tongue:

Cathrindir
2006-12-11, 08:33 AM
On another note, who do you think the first character to be killed off will be?

My money's on Peter.

:tongue:
I say Quincy. Paige is going to snap eventually.

tcjsavannah
2006-12-11, 08:57 AM
Not a great way to start a Monday. 8( But I respect Bill Amend's decision.. who knows, maybe now the kids will age :)

EmeraldRose
2006-12-11, 06:53 PM
Wow, this is one of my husband's favorites. He orders the desk calendar every Christmas for himself :smallfrown: . I think he checks it online to...

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 06:56 PM
darn...thats not cool

Tiako
2006-12-11, 08:40 PM
I can't say I'm not happy about this. I think Amend has been needing a mind rester, much like the one Waterson took, to keep his material funny.

As for what is left, count your blessings if you are lucky enough to have Ink Pen and Lio in your newspaper. They are both new comic, and are both the two best comics currently running, in my opinion. If you also have Brewster Rockitt, you have been blessed, as I have (Note that I don't mention comics such as Get Fuzzy because it is in so many newspapers).

EmeraldRose
2006-12-11, 08:50 PM
BTW...when I told him, my husband's reaction was "WHAT?!? NO!!! It's one of my favorites!! :smalleek: " Then he said he bet Bill Amend has just gotten burned out, he's been doing the comic for almost 20 years...

Overlord
2006-12-11, 09:04 PM
I say Quincy. Paige is going to snap eventually.

:biggrin:

"I'm so sorry, Jason! It appears somebody tasered Quincy, tied him up, gagged him, doused him in chloroform, and placed him behind the rear wheel of my car just before I backed out of the driveway, and I accidentally ran him over!"

Yeah, Quincy the iguana was my second guess, and then the dad (I can't remember his name).But I figured if Paige snapped, it would be Jason, not his pet, that she kills. :smallwink:

Quincy = :xykon:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2006-12-11, 09:09 PM
Another wonderful comic comes to a close. Tis better to leave at the top of your game then to stay around as a cruel mockery of your former greatness.

SteveMB
2006-12-12, 01:32 PM
Better this than to degenerate into a shambling undead mockery of life, like [insert name of any of several dozen creaky old strips that haven't been funny since Reagan was President here].

Amotis
2006-12-12, 01:34 PM
Better this than to degenerate into a shambling undead mockery of life, like [insert name of any of several dozen creaky old strips that haven't been funny since Reagan was President here].

qft. Sadly it's true. It's like old people. Not funny.

Dr._Weird
2006-12-12, 06:54 PM

Garfield comes to mind.

Overlord
2006-12-12, 08:43 PM
Garfield comes to mind.
Must....
Resist....
Cheap....
Shot....

Garfield was funny in the '80s?!

...sorry, I couldn't help it. The urge was too strong. :smalltongue:

Anyway, Garfield is occasionally funny, and the cartoon was sort of cute, but the comic as whole is indeed rather stagnant.

Amotis
2006-12-12, 08:54 PM
Garfield is funny if you remove all of Garfields and the animals' thought bubbles and it's just like Jon talking. SA had a thread like that and it was awesome.

King_of_Oz
2006-12-13, 10:33 PM
I am distressed. Foxtrat is my favorite.
What other comic strip references D&D.

TinSoldier
2006-12-13, 11:24 PM
I am distressed. Foxtrat is my favorite.
What other comic strip references D&D.Get Fuzzy does once in awhile, but I couldn't find a link.

Holy_Knight
2006-12-16, 02:00 AM
Yeah, it's my favorite print comic currently in production, but now it looks like it will go the way of Calvin and Hobbes.

I agree completely. This is sad news. :frown:

Dragonrider
2007-01-01, 01:18 AM
I was born too late to appreciate Calvin and Hobbes when it was in papers (thank God for collections) and now Fox Trot's going...the first time I ever heard of D&D was in Fox Trot, and my mom said, "Your uncle plays that game, ask him to teach you." It hasn't been in the local paper since I was about nine...ALL PRAISE TO THE INTERNET!!!

Even if they rerun, my brother and I have collected almost all the books, and it's sad to see old strips. Has anyone else noticed that over the past two years, there have been a LOT of reruns? about every two months there'll be a two-week block of old strips. Because of that I wasn't surprised that he's going weekends-only--actually, I was afraid Bill Amend would cancel the strip entirely. At least we'll get SOMETHING.

adanedhel9
2007-01-01, 11:09 AM
I'm sad. I have to edit my bookmarks now so that I don't go to Foxtrot every morning.:smallfrown: