PDA

View Full Version : Currently seeking some assistance...

Xaotiq1
2013-07-09, 02:34 PM
Those of you old enough to recall the commercial demise of AD&D 2nd Ed may remember a little book called Player's Option: Spells and magic. It was a nifty combo of Complete Arcane, Divine, and Mage; giving new resources and build options for caster characters. More specifically, it gave new options for wizard schools based on Effect (elemental spells, force spells, shadow spells, etc) and Thaumaturgy (alchemy, artifice, geometry (symbols & glyphs), song, and "wild magic").

I am currently building a campaign and would like to use the schools of thaumaturgy as the source for magic (both arcane and divine) in it. Now, I have access to many of the books containing spells for 3.5, but I am only one person. Is there any one out there willing to assist me in sorting out which spells from the core casters' lists fit into what category. Spells that do not may fit in to a "Universal" school of magic (of which teleport was in 2nd Ed); but I'm mainly looking for help with the schools of effect.

Here's a brief run down of what each school entails:

Alchemy: effects are achieved through the combination of unusual material components. Spells such as affect normal fires, glitterdust, and cloudkill can all be cast through the use of strange powders and reagents, and belong to the school of alchemy

Artifice: are weak in the direct command of magic and instead use various devices and magical items to focus their energies. Spells such as magic stone and simulacrum are included in the school of artifice

Geometry: use diagrams, symbols, and complex patterns to cast their spells. Naturally, any spell involving some kind of writing, marking, or pattern belongs to the school of geometry, including spells such as explosive runes, sepia snake sigil, and symbol

Song: Any spell that involves speaking, singing, or some other use of the caster’s vocal powers belongs to the school of song. Sleep, charm monster, and irresistible dance are all examples of spells of this school

"Wild": makes use of the principles of randomness in their magic, giving rise to the school of wild magic. Wild mages shape the raw, uncontrollable stuff of magic in the hope that something resembling their intended spell will appear

Any assistance will be greatly and humbly appreciated. Thanks in advance!