PDA

View Full Version : [GIFT] (Rookie) Gren and Il'Naeish's Ace in the Hole

Timberwolf
2006-12-09, 09:42 PM
I've had this idea kicking around in my head for a bit. Please don't kill me if I forget something, it's my first homebrew idea.

Spell,

Gren and Il'Naeish's Ace in the Hole.

Backstory.

Perin Gren has to be one of the most unsuccessful halfling assassins of all time. For a start, she had somehow managed to lose her alignment of lawful evil to become Lawful Neutral. Secondly, her and her bard / ranger companion, Manannan Il'Naeish, were forever being captured and disarmed. Gren decided that a spell that would let her store a weapon somewhere else until she needed it could only be handy and a quick but expensive trip to a wizard soon secured the pair the copyright on a spell that would place a weapon in another dimension linked to the caster's conciousness and mental signature. Now, whenever Gren and Il'Naeish are captured (which still happenes with distressing regularity) there is always a weapon easily to hand for them both which will remain accessible only to its owner until it is used (owing to being in another, private plane)

Caster Level - Assassin 1/ Ranger 1 / Bard 2
School - Transmutation
Duration - 1 day per level
Componants - verbal
Range - personal
Target - weapon
Casting Time - 1 Standard action

This is indended to be used as a spell which is cast once a day if you think there might be trouble and want to have a weapon to hand somewhere where it might be otherwise troublesome to have one on show (eg in prison, a town where having your weapon even on your hip is an arrestable offence, etc). As the weapon is placed in an alternate dimension (like a bag of holding) this means that it does not count towards your weight limit. Weapons that can be targeted with this spell are those of longsword size or smaller. Dispelling does not affect this spell as it is not actively having an effect on the caster or the general area. All it is doing is functioning as a "bookmark" and a dormant link between the caster and their personal dimension.

When the weapon is called from its hiding place, roll 1 D20. on a roll of 3-20, the weapon appears in the casters hand. On a roll of 1-2, the recall attempt (which counts as a standard action) fails and the caster can try again next time.

You cannot have more than 1 Ace in the Hole active at any 1 time. Any attempt to cast this spell on another weapon without first recalling the original weapon will result in it being permamently lost.

As to the surprise part, imagine the look on the face of a guard when the halfling prisoner (Perin Gren is actually one of my favourite characters that I made for NWN) who was sitting dejectedly in the corner of their cell suddenly produces a Short Sword +4 with all sorts of magical goodies on it. Somewhat of a gift from nowhere you might say.

:Creator's note:
I wanted to create something that would let the 2 classes with the fewest spells have something new that might be handy for them. Clerics, wizards and Sorcerors can always thwack things without a weapon (which is why they don't get this) but for the Bard and ranger, the loss of their weapons would reduce their effectiveness in a fight somewhat. then I realised the idea behind this spell was made for the Assassin so I decided to cut them in too.

Ironfist Orc
2006-12-10, 06:40 PM
I am far from a D&D magic expert, but the spell seems ... very strong for the caster levels you have at the moment.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-12-11, 03:31 AM
Oooooo yeah. Summon Weapon (Complete Mage) is 2nd level, and it just gives you a conjured nonmagical weapon.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-11, 03:05 PM
well, realize that you still need to have the weapon to cast this on. so unless you have a weapon available that is magical, you get stuck with whatever you put in there.

knightsaline
2006-12-12, 01:33 AM
Assassins already have a spell like this in the spell compendium, where the assassin can turn a weapon into a weapon-shaped birthmark, then bring it back to surprise someone

Timberwolf
2006-12-12, 02:44 PM
Hell, I freely admit to being no expert at spells and like I said, this is my 1st go so it was never going to be amazing. Plus I don't have access to D+D books atm so the assassin birthmark's new on me. Anyway, the reason I made it low level was because unless you're playing a game that is set up oddly and has level 1 characters running around with +4 weapons, the type of weapon pulled out is going to reflect the level of the caster. If all you can afford or all that is in stock is non magical weapons then a non magical weapon is going to have to go in the hole. At low levels it will probably be your bog standard longsword or +1 weapon at the most until you hit higher levels. The idea behind this was never to make it like a summon with the nasty stuff that can be pulled out there but to merely make either a largely foolproof hiding place or something so that the disarmed ranger / bard could have something to play with and not be largely useless / a second weapon to pull out and switch styles mid combat / whatever took your fancy. The assassin was added because I felt it was such an assassin like spell it would have been a crying shame not too. And besides, not everyone's going to want a sword shaped birthmark:wink: .

By the way, the character that I used in the backstory was firmly into the Neverwinter Nights epic levels (28 I think) it was just that she was the only assassin I ever used and to be honest, she had the sweetest damn sword I ever saw in a game which may have led to some confusion as to how powerful this was meant to be.

(+4, 2d6 fire damage, Spell resistance 16, regen +2, on hit ability damage strength dc 15, true seeing. her dagger gave her Haste, +8 enhancement, on hit ability damage strength dc 15 and unfortunately some wicked, wicked ability decreases (Int + Wis) but no item's perfect)

LordOfNarf
2006-12-12, 06:59 PM
I would suggest that is is a lower level assasin spell than ranger of bard spell since ranger is a half caster, and bard is a full caster class, and assasin is only a prestige class. The way its written now, an assasin would never be able to cast this spell until level 10 or 11, whereas a ranger would have it at 4 or 6, and a bard would have it at 2 or 3. this seems hardly in line with the story, that bards get this spell significantly before the assasins it was meant for. I'd suggest Assasin 1/Ranger 1/Bard 2

Timberwolf
2006-12-13, 12:45 PM
Good point.

Fixed :)