Sor\Wis 7th level
Componetns: V,S
Casting TIme: Standard Action
Range: Touch
Duration: CL\days
Saving Throw: See Below
Spell Resistance: See Below
500 exp.

This spell creates a conduit between a dying soul, the fallen, and a willing body, the host. The caster smears the blood of the dying on the face of the host and creating a bridge. The soul of the fallen may flee to the host body for a number of days equal to the casters level. If, in that time, the broken body is mended so as to support life this spell may be cast again to reunite body and soul. The restored soul looses 777 experience but suffers no attribute deterioration or memory loss.

While the host body is sheltering the fallen soul he\she suffers -4 on all rolls and is fatigued. Fallen souls remember nothing of their time in the host.

If the spells duration expires the soul continues to its original destination. The soul departs the fallen at dawn after the last day of the spells duration or at such time that dawn would usually occur (6am).

If either soul or host are not willing the spell fails.

What do folks think?

Mewtarthio
2006-12-09, 10:46 PM
If he's only dying, why not just heal him?
If he's recently dead, isn't it too late?

sigurd
2006-12-10, 07:27 AM
I see your point. I'd been thinking mostly of reflections of the real world and the cost of resurrection. A seventh level spell should actually do a world of healing removing the need for this sort of hosting.

I guess that since the game abstracts healing till its only a number there are reduced uses for this sort of magic. Still there are times when death is real likely - poison at least.

The other thing is wizards don't get a lot of healing - perhaps this is a wizardly way around the problem?

Sigurd

Logic
2006-12-10, 09:29 AM
Perhaps this "soul host" spell could be like a contingency plan?
For example, you cast it on yourself and a willing host before danger, and if you die, your soul instead goes to the "host" body.
Add a function where the BBEG can cast it before the PCs get to him, and when he dies, he inhabits the body of one of the PCs (potentially without them knowing) and the spell is far more useful and potentially diabolical.

magic8BALL
2006-12-10, 10:04 PM
...777 XP...?

...I see where you're coming from, and it adds flavour... but it's unbalancing. 777XP loss means up to two level loss at level 2 (...yes I know its a 7th level spell...) but like an encounter at level 20? I dunno... Im a fan of "loose 1/2 a level 'cuz you died, get over it, you're alive again".