PDA

View Full Version : Help!

jlousivy
2006-12-10, 02:00 AM
I've (sadly) been addicted to .. Naruto
The character 'Gaara of the Desert' has some aspects i'd like to integrate into spells.
So my requests:
Can someone make me a spell for Armour of Sand, Shield of Sand, and Desert Funeral? ( Wizard, i'm 11th level so nothing higher than 6th level please)
For armour of sand, i was thinking somewhere along the lines of just straight absorbing physical attacks, like 5 attacks and it's gone or the like
Shield of sand-- basicly 'shield' but longer duration, no blocking of magic missiles and a higher bonus
desert funeral-self explanitory, but with maybe damage instead of a save-or-die spell.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me with this :-)

flawed.Perfection
2006-12-10, 10:49 AM
Armor of the Sand

Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Personal
Target: You

Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a wind of sand that whirls around the caster, and protects his bosy from harmful punches. It provides 4/bludgeoning damage reduction and 10% concealment.
Material Component: A handful of desert sand.

Something like that? I figured sand isn't really useful against slashing or piercing, so AC bonus would be a bit off, thus figuring DR vs bludgeoning damage works best. The concealment fits as well, as it's harder to see beyond a whirl of sand.

Done without knowing Naruto, so I may be completely off the mark...

Jarelk
2006-12-10, 11:59 AM
Done without knowing Naruto, so I may be completely off the mark...

Quite frankly, you are. Though you are suspiciously close =P. Armor of Sand is shell shaped as the person who cast it. It fakes colors, and covers the body of the real person. It takes the blow if Shield of Sand fails.

Here is Desert Funeral:

Desert Funeral
Abjuration (That was the shielding magic right? I am doing this without Phb^^)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2

Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: See text.
Target: One target within range.

Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: Fortitude (reduces damage by half)

Sand closes up to the target, and captures it within a cone. The sand tries to crush the target. The sand starts at the caster and moves at 120 feet per round. As soon as the spell is cast, the sand that moves is threatened as magical. It may move the same round it was cast, immediatly after the caster. The caster must stay focused. If attacked while directing the magic, the sand falls to the ground and the spell needs to be cast again. If the target is standing upon sand, or there is lingering sand around, the starting point of the sand may be put upon a square covered in sand(The sand needed to cover the body gathers from all kinds of corners and such, and needs not be noted down. Only the starting point, where the sand will gather needs to be point out).

Once it reaches the victim, it can not escape. It's covered within sand, but the effect of the spell stops soon enough, so the victim, will not choke to death. The crushing sand deals 5d6 of damage, ignoring AC, + 1d6 per level(Up to a maximum of +10d6). The sand immediatly falls down and becomes nonmagical after the damage is done. The sand can be stopped by a dispel magic, or by heavy wind, which both scatter the sand and make it nonmagical.

The sand can not move through physical objects, but can move over them, as if there is no gravity. The sand can be stopped by magical means.

About the choking. Maybe you want a Desert Coffin spell too? Is this spell too strong?

jlousivy
2006-12-10, 02:02 PM
desert coffin would be great too :-) thank you, and as for the desert funeral, would it ever be possible to do 2 creatures? ie: controlling 1 / hand? probably in that case something along the lines of +1d6/2 levels or soemthign?

edit: what is the possibility for it to fail? ie: 'fuzzy eyebrows' was able to out run it
and you were right, armor of sand was the 'casing'

jlousivy
2006-12-10, 02:12 PM
Armor of Sand
Conjuration(creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: personal
Target: you
Duration: 10minutes / level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)

A highly covered casing of sand covers the caster's body negating the next 5 sources of physical attacks.

Material Component Handful of Sand

That's what i thought, but when running it by another player in the game he said it was rediculously overpowered (and he's a cleric with harm, tisk tisk)
what do you guys think?

Mewtarthio
2006-12-10, 03:36 PM
It should be more like Stoneskin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneskin.htm): Grants damage resistance and disappears after absorbing X HP of damage. The spell as written gives you DR infinity/-- for five rounds.

flawed.Perfection
2006-12-10, 03:37 PM
I have to agree with said player. To actually negate attacks is overpowered. DR, Concealment, AC bonus are the things that work best to improve changes to avoid or block attacks, but negate is a bit much. How would negating actually work? Does the attacker get dazed? Does the sword stop mid-air? To have something negate attacks is a bit random and without any actual rule-backup...

Fizban
2006-12-11, 01:39 AM
It provides 4/bludgeoning damage reduction

figuring DR vs bludgeoning damage works best.

You're reading the DR rules wrong. DR/something means the damage reduction works on everything except "something". Otherwise, werewolves would only resist damage from silvered weapons, when the whole point is that they are only harmed by silvered weapons.

In short, you mean DR 4/slashing and piercing.
Edit: or do you mean DR 4/bludgeoning? I'm confusing myself now....

Now, for this sand shield spell I too suggest a version of Stoneskin. Possibly just lv4, DR 10/bludgeoning, stops up to 10/level damage, essentially just stoneskin without the material component. This lack of cost is justified by bludgeoning weapons being a lot more common than adamantine weapons.

flawed.Perfection
2006-12-11, 08:25 PM
In short, you mean DR 4/slashing and piercing.
Edit: or do you mean DR 4/bludgeoning? I'm confusing myself now....

Heh. No, you're absolutely correct. I meant it protects against bludgeoning, and slashing and piercing are unhindered by the sand. My mistake, I confused it...:)

Thanks for correcting me!