PDA

View Full Version : Magic item Creation Question

Sinpoder
2013-07-16, 02:41 PM
Hey.... I am currently running a wizard that is deep into epic levels and I would like to create two major items. One being a headband of spellcraft +500 along with a belt of int +500.....

Now I understand that something like that would cost a lot but I have 75% reduction of Xp along with another 20 or more given by other things. I am not worried about gold cost as I have that negated and time cost as I have ways around that....

Now the question is how much Xp is it going to take for me to get this massive thing done and over with.

Verte
2013-07-16, 03:01 PM
Assuming this is for D&D 3.5, and that you mean that you have 75% reduction of gp, not XP, you should be able to find the rules for magic item creation here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm), including guidelines for estimating monetary and XP costs. The fourth paragraph of that page says:

d20srd.org
Magic supplies for items are always half of the base price in gp and 1/25 of the base price in XP. For many items, the market price equals the base price.

This means that the Headband of Spellcraft +500 may cost around 1,000,000 XP to create whereas the Belt of Intelligence +500 may cost around 10,000,000 XP to create. Note that I am referencing the SRD, which references the DMG. The Magic Item Compendium may have a slightly different rule, but I don't have it on hand at the moment.

worldeater47
2013-07-16, 03:15 PM
Going through each item the belt of intelligence will Cost you 500^2*1000(bonus squared times 1000 for stat enhancers) *1.5(non affinity of item slot). This gives us a base price of 375,000,000, the cost to craft this is half of this so 187,500,000 GP and the XP cost is 1/25 the base price so 15,000,000 XP.

The headband of spell craft will have a base price of 500^2*100(bonus squared times 100 for skill enhancers) so 25,000,000 which gives us a crafting cost of 12,500,00 GP and 1,000,000 XP.

This gives us a total of 200,000,000 Gp and 16,000,000 XP before your discounts. If you reversed the locations however (headband of int, belt of spellcraft) it would cost you much less (moving the nonaffinity to the cheaper item).

Total cost would be 143,750,000 GP and 11,500,000 (125,000,000GP, and 10,000,000XP for the headband of int, 18,750,000Gp and 1,500,000 XP for the belt of spellcraft)

tldr; 200,000,000 Gp and 16,000,000 XP, cheaper if you reverse the body locations pre-reducers

Verte
2013-07-16, 03:25 PM
I just realized though, that if you're using the rules for epic magic items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm#creatingEpicMagicItems), the costs would be slightly different. And it is true that a belt of Intelligence should cost more - I forgot that. With those considerations, the Belt of Intelligence should cost 3,760,000 xp and the Headband of Spellcraft should cost 260,000 xp.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-16, 04:03 PM
See if you can combine the Rings of Wizardry using the rules for multiple effects on the same item. That would be pretty cool if you have something to do with all the spell slots.

Alejandro
2013-07-16, 05:03 PM
The game world probably doesn't have that much currency in existence. :)

Sinpoder
2013-07-16, 05:22 PM
Ok... let me make this clear... at this point in time, I have a way to make my GP price reduced to nothing, using a series of feats along with some house rules. The XP drain using artifactor's ability to remove XP from items, giving me a unlimited source of XP, in theory, and I have a grand total of a reduction of 97.5% of the total, meaning I only pay 2.5% of the XP, if i remember a set of home rule feats correctly.

As for the rings of Wizardy... I can also do that.. and I think one of my game members even did the math for that so I don't have too..... so I will talk to him for that... Now..... I may have made a minor math error..

I have a total of 75% reduction in XP cost, using a series of feats and other things, and then i combine the reduced XP cost of creating an item that both requires a skill, alignment and class... which if I remember correctly is another 70%... ( 30%+30%+10%).... So... would that mean that I now have NO xp costs due to this or do I take the 75% first then take the 70%.....

Is that correct?

Slipperychicken
2013-07-16, 05:41 PM
I have a total of 75% reduction in XP cost, using a series of feats and other things, and then i combine the reduced XP cost of creating an item that both requires a skill, alignment and class... which if I remember correctly is another 70%... ( 30%+30%+10%).... So... would that mean that I now have NO xp costs due to this or do I take the 75% first then take the 70%.....

It's not additive, it's multiplicative.

For example, if I have an initial cost of 100 gold, and two 50% cost reducers, I would multiply 100*0.5*0.5 = 25 gold.

List all your cost reducers so we could try to compute it properly.

Sinpoder
2013-07-16, 05:47 PM
Homeruled XP Feat: 25% reduction to XP cost in creation of a Magic Item, up to a max of 75%.

Item Requires Skill to Use

Some items require a specific skill to get them to function. This factor should reduce the cost about 10%.
Item Requires Specific Class or Alignment to Use

Even more restrictive than requiring a skill, this limitation cuts the cost by 30%.

So.. I am making these items so that you have to be a Artifactor, Be LN and have skills in basket weaving...

This is the very base of what I plan to do... if it does come down to it I can make this much worse if I don't like what I see after this...

Slipperychicken
2013-07-16, 08:10 PM
100*0.25 (feats)*0.7 (class/alignment)*0.9 (skill) = 15.75.

An item to which all of those apply would be 15.75% of the normal crafting cost.

Gemini Lupus
2013-07-16, 08:24 PM
+500!? Just how deep into epic levels are you?

Sinpoder
2013-07-17, 11:35 PM
Deep enough my friend.. deep enough...

Basically my DM threw us up against something that I personally could not kill, due to the simple fact that it had an SR higher then I could roll, even on a crit, and it's SR effected everything.. included AoEs... and even if I did bypass it.. he is immune to all elemental damage....

Basically during that fight I was completely useless, and it pissed me off so... if he is going to play that game then I will play it too.. >.> He wants an OP fight.. I can give him one..

Slipperychicken
2013-07-17, 11:54 PM

Basically my DM threw us up against something that I personally could not kill, due to the simple fact that it had an SR higher then I could roll, even on a crit, and it's SR effected everything.. included AoEs... and even if I did bypass it.. he is immune to all elemental damage....

Basically during that fight I was completely useless, and it pissed me off so... if he is going to play that game then I will play it too.. >.> He wants an OP fight.. I can give him one..

Use SR: No spells (and call shenanigans if the DM was having its SR was apply to SR: No spells). Buff your friends so they take it down for you. Roll your impressive Knowledge skills for every creature you encounter to learn these basic facts (does it have SR? Does it have DR? Does it resist mind-affecting particularly well? Does it have true-seeing? etc), even if your DM doesn't prompt you to do so.

If it's a Golem, something like a Grease spell or a wall would be in order. Their poor Reflex saves make them unlikely to pass. If it's a scrawny caster, summoning a grappler or casting something like Black Tentacles or Bands of Steel may be in order.

If you're completely stumped, cast something like Haste, or Superior Invisibility. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and buff the fighters.

Snails
2013-07-18, 01:00 AM
While boring the third time and thereafter, Keep The Big Sword Alive became a SOP in 1e/2e.

IME monsters badass enough to be solo/boss encounters usually had high SR (and SR protected against approximately everything), great saves (succeeds on a natural 4 in the worst case), and even DR that made them immune to most physical weapons in the party.

Nothing but buffing and area control can be a pretty efficient means of using wizard resources for most encounters. It may not be glamorous, but I suggest you learn how to work this angle. It is an important arrow in every spell casters quiver, even when against less magically fortified opponents.

Besides, those items will take thousands of years to craft.

Jay R
2013-07-19, 10:28 AM
Fundamentally, I don't think we can help you with this, because the number and extent of home-brew rules involved makes our knowledge mostly useless. Ask your DM.

Zanos
2013-07-21, 01:15 AM

You could take Permanent Emanation:Greater Consumptive Field to permanently(ish) increase your caster level by 50%, which you would add to all spell penetration rolls. You can technically repeatedly cast greater consumptive field every time you max it out to attain an arbitrarily high caster level, but I'm not sure how much cheese is tolerated in this campaign. Should be fine considering it seems very epic.

Also I would ask your DM how cost reductions stack, since it's homebrew.

Depending on how abusable epic spellcasting is, it would probably be cheaper to craft an epic spell that gives you a +500 enhancement bonus to intelligence for a week.

Let's see:
17 base +(499*2)+20(10x100% duration for 200 hours total) = 1035 before reducers.

*9000 gold = 9315000 gp
and /25 for exp = 372600
This might be cheaper depending on how your cost reducers are stacking, assuming you can meet the spellcraft check. Apply reducers for extreme cheese. Buy a rod of excellent magic for a free +20 to any DC as well.