PDA

View Full Version : Check these before I enter them [feats]

Were-Sandwich
2006-12-10, 03:25 PM
My entry for the Gift contest ("and the sins of the fathers were passed on to the sons"). I need these critiquing;

Least Covenant [General]
You are descended from those who made pacts with fiends, and as such, have some minor supernatural abilities. However, all Hells gifts being Hells due, you cannot do so without losing some of your essence to the Pit.

Prerequisites: Non-good alignment

Benefit: You can use the following abilities at will:
Hellcats Fall: You can activate this ability as an immediate action. You gain the benefit of a Feather Fall spell for the duration of your fall. Use of this ability causes 2 points on Con burn to you
Erinyes’s Lure: You can activate this ability as a standard action. You gain +6 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks for 1 hour. Use of this ability causes 2 points of Con burn
Blast of the Gelugon: You can activate this ability as a standard action. You launch an orb of cold at a target within 30ft. This is a ranged touch attack, which deals 1d6 cold damage. Use of this ability causes 2 points of Con burn.
If the Con burn from any of these abilities is prevented or unable to be applied, the ability fails. These benefits are supernatural abilities.

Check the thread in Design Contests for fluff.

Kesnit
2006-12-10, 04:18 PM
What do you mean by "Con burn?" Can you recover the Con by resting? If so, how fast does it regenerate? Or do you need a Cleric to cast some healing magic on you?

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-10, 04:34 PM
Ability burn is ability drain that can't be magically healed.

Check the Expanded Psionics Handbook (and a few other places).

Wizzardman
2006-12-10, 04:45 PM
Ability burn is ability drain that can't be magically healed.

Check the Expanded Psionics Handbook (and a few other places).

So it can't be healed at all? Ouch. Permanent magicproof con drain for a 1d6 cold blast sounds, well, underpowered.

Renloth
2006-12-10, 05:14 PM
He didn't "couldn't be healed at all". Just that it can't be healed magically, and must be healed natually.

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-10, 05:33 PM
So it can't be healed at all? Ouch. Permanent magicproof con drain for a 1d6 cold blast sounds, well, underpowered.

Oops! Damage, I meant damage. It can be healed naturally.

She didn't "couldn't be healed at all". Just that it can't be healed magically, and must be healed natually.

...She? >.>

magic8BALL
2006-12-10, 09:42 PM
...what? You're clearly wearing a dress in your avatar... people tend to not look at the gender icon...

Anyways...
seems ok...
you should include a "special: you may only take this feat at first level", unless you want people to take the feat at level 9 or somthing, in wich case, you could say "the link to your ansestors pact is awakend", or somthing. Dress it up.

Were-Sandwich
2006-12-11, 12:29 PM
I will, in the contest entry. But its balanced, right?

XtheYeti
2006-12-11, 01:50 PM
no, 2 con drain to cast a 1lvl spell is way to much. it should burn 1 con that heals after 8hr sleep and can only be used (x) number of times per day, which should be dependant on you lvl and you should be able to burn more con to make the gift more powerful

sigurd
2006-12-12, 06:48 AM
2 con drain to cast a 1lvl spell is way to much

I really don't think so. Its supposed to have a cost to use. Fiendish pacts are not known to be overly generous. I think this is rather light.

Are these 3 magic benefits for one feat? Does the Featherfall kick in automatically?

S

Were-Sandwich
2006-12-12, 03:06 PM
Yup, all three for one feats. And Feather Fall is an immediate action so you can only use it if you're conscious. Its you activating the ability, not Beelzebub and chums going 'Oh noes, better catch him!'

Altharis
2006-12-12, 07:17 PM
I like them, a bit of flavor and good, solid abilities. You should have the cold blast scale up though. It's a good pick for the average evil wizard who need more offense, some extar talky skills and a back up plan when things go down. (literally!)

Were-Sandwich
2006-12-18, 03:31 PM
Least Covenant [General]
You are descended from those who made pacts with fiends, and as such, have some minor supernatural abilities. However, all Hells gifts being Hells due, you cannot do so without losing some of your essence to the Pit.

Prerequisites: Non-good alignment

Benefit: You can use the following abilities at will:
Hellcats Fall: You can activate this ability as an immediate action. You gain the benefit of a Feather Fall spell for the duration of your fall. Use of this ability causes 2 points on Con burn to you
Erinyes’s Lure: You can activate this ability as a standard action. You gain +6 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks for 1 hour. Use of this ability causes 2 points of Con burn
Blast of the Gelugon: You can activate this ability as a standard action. You launch an orb of cold at a target within 30ft. This is a ranged touch attack, which deals 2d4 cold damage. Use of this ability causes 2 points of Con burn. For every extra point of Con burn you take, you can deal an extra 1d6 Cold damage
If the Con burn from any of these abilities is prevented or unable to be applied, the ability fails. These benefits are supernatural abilities.
Diabolic Strength[General]

Your covenant bloodline allows you to enhance your strength with that of your hellish benefactors

Prerequisites: Least Covenant

Benefit: As a free action, you can grant yourself a +2 Profane Bonus to Strength. Using this ability causes 1 point of Con burn. The bonus last for 1 minute/character level, but the Con burn goes away at the normal rate. If the Con burn cannot be applied or is prevented, you do not gain any benefit from this feat.

Diabolic Grace [General]

Your covenant bloodline allows you to enhance your dexterity with that of your hellish benefactors

Benefit: As a free action, you can grant yourself a +2 Profane Bonus to Dexterity. Using this ability causes 1 point of Con burn. The bonus last for 1 minute/character level, but the Con burn goes away at the normal rate. If the Con burn cannot be applied or is prevented, you do not gain any benefit from this feat.

Diabolic Toughness [General]

Your covenant bloodline allows you to enhance your toughness with that of your hellish benefactors

Benefit: As a free action, you can grant yourself a +2 Profane Bonus to Constitution. Using this ability causes 1 point of Cha burn. The bonus last for 1 minute/character level, but the Con burn goes away at the normal rate. If the Cha burn cannot be applied or is prevented, you do not gain any benefit from this feat.

Diabolic Intelligence [General]

Your covenant bloodline allows you to enhance your intelligence with that of your hellish benefactors

Benefit: As a free action, you can grant yourself a +2 Profane Bonus to Intelligence. Using this ability causes 1 point of Con burn. The bonus last for 1 minute/character level, but the Con burn goes away at the normal rate. If the Con burn cannot be applied or is prevented, you do not gain any benefit from this feat.

Diabolic Wisdom[General]

Your covenant bloodline allows you to enhance your Wisdom with that of your hellish benefactors

Benefit: As a free action, you can grant yourself a +2 Profane Bonus to Wisdom. Using this ability causes 1 point of Con burn. The bonus last for 1 minute/character level, but the Con burn goes away at the normal rate. If the Con burn cannot be applied or is prevented, you do not gain any benefit from this feat.

Diabolic Charisma[General]

Your covenant bloodline allows you to enhance your Charisma with that of your hellish benefactors

Benefit: As a free action, you can grant yourself a +2 Profane Bonus to Charisma. Using this ability causes 1 point of Con burn. The bonus last for 1 minute/character level, but the Con burn goes away at the normal rate. If the Con burn cannot be applied or is prevented, you do not gain any benefit from this feat.

So, thoughts?

Altharis
2006-12-19, 07:15 AM
I like! But the stat boosters should be call "Diabolic Strength" and so on to leavethe other names for really good abilities. For example, Hellcats Covenant: Invisibility, speed, claws.... etc.etc.

Were-Sandwich
2006-12-19, 12:38 PM
Ah. A good idea. I was running out of Devils I could name off the top of my head.