PDA

View Full Version : Change in shape, change in clothing?

RabidEel
2013-07-23, 11:59 AM
When D&D shapeshifters shapeshift, do they have to take off their clothes first, and then when they turn back human they're naked, like OOTS Baleful Polymorph (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html)? Or does their clothing shift with them, like in OOTS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html) whatever-you-call-voluntary-shaprshifting (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0649.html)?

SethoMarkus
2013-07-23, 12:25 PM
Whatever the DM and player decides. Though the spell description(s) state that any equipment "melds" into the shape-shifter, nothing is explicitly stated about mundane clothing and items. I would say that as long as it would make sense and both parties are alright with it, anything goes.

Arkhosia
2013-07-23, 12:47 PM
It also depends on the power. Changelings/doppelgangers retain their outfit, but the outfit does not change, so impersonating a noblemen may result in the guards catching you looking through his drawers. :smallamused:

I would not be surprised if powers that change another's form would not affect clothes, as it just targets the creature.

RabidEel
2013-07-23, 02:30 PM
Whatever the DM and player decides. Though the spell description(s) state that any equipment "melds" into the shape-shifter, nothing is explicitly stated about mundane clothing and items. I would say that as long as it would make sense and both parties are alright with it, anything goes.

Well, the rpg in question isn't D&D itself, just the my character comes from a D&D world (a certain sticky one, as it so happens). I'm trying to follow the rules as I can figure them out, but pretty much everything I know about gaming comes from reading OOTS. It won't end up 100% "right" in any case. So I figure that anything that falls under "ask the DM" is license to go to town.

It also depends on the power. Changelings/doppelgangers retain their outfit, but the outfit does not change, so impersonating a noblemen may result in the guards catching you looking through his drawers. :smallamused:

I would not be surprised if powers that change another's form would not affect clothes, as it just targets the creature.

What category do tibbits fall under?

Scow2
2013-07-23, 02:38 PM
If the effect mentions equipment melding into the form, so do clothes (Clothing IS equipment, even if it has no mechanical benefit). If the effect doesn't have that clause, stuff falls off.

Arkhosia
2013-07-23, 02:58 PM
Well, the rpg in question isn't D&D itself, just the my character comes from a D&D world (a certain sticky one, as it so happens). I'm trying to follow the rules as I can figure them out, but pretty much everything I know about gaming comes from reading OOTS. It won't end up 100% "right" in any case. So I figure that anything that falls under "ask the DM" is license to go to town.

What category do tibbits fall under?

It sort of falls under the second, as the tibbit itself is the only thing that shapeshifts. However, it states that any equipment on or held by the tibbit dissapears, in this case probably meaning vanishes, not invisible, and returns to the owner's body (and the places it originally was on).
Here's the shapeshift data

You can release the beast within, it's just that it's cute and cuddly.
At-Will Polymorph
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You can transform into a house cat. In cat form your size is tiny, you gain a +5 power bonus to Athletics checks made to jump and your speed is 7.You also gain a climb speed equal to your land speed.
While you are in cat form, other creatures can attempt to discern your true nature by making an Insight check opposed by your Bluff check; you gain a +5 bonus to your check.
You gain a +2 Power bonus to AC due to your size, but cannot benefit from shield or armor bonuses to AC.
Tibbit gains two attacks while in feline form. Claw and Bite. In each round they can make 1 basic attacks with Claw and 1 attack with Bite, And shift up to 3 squares after the attack.
Clothing, Armor and most equipment worn or held in hand disappears when using this power, and reappears when deactivated. Magic armor retains its enhancement bonus to AC, but not its armor bonus or any other properties. Worn items like rings, necklaces and other magical non-weapon items adopt a form suitable to a cat, such as a collar or anklet and continue to provide their benefits.
Claw: dex vs. AC - 1d4
Bite: dex vs. AC - 1d4
Special This power remains in effect until you use a standard action to revert to your natural form.

Aron Times
2013-07-23, 10:33 PM
In the New World of Darkness, vampiric shapeshifting, Protean, specifically states that clothing melds into your your new form. On the other hand, werewolf shapeshifting specifically states that it results in destroyed clothing UNLESS you use the rite nicknamed the Rite of Pants, which causes the target clothing to magically resize and reshape along with you.

Arkhosia
2013-07-23, 11:31 PM
In the New World of Darkness, vampiric shapeshifting, Protean, specifically states that clothing melds into your your new form. On the other hand, werewolf shapeshifting specifically states that it results in destroyed clothing UNLESS you use the rite nicknamed the Rite of Pants, which causes the target clothing to magically resize and reshape along with you.

You must sacrifice a giant moth to complete the Rite of Pants.:smallbiggrin:

SowZ
2013-07-24, 01:13 AM

What if I wear spandex shorts or underwear three sizes too big for me?

Aron Times
2013-07-24, 02:21 AM
Sorry, you still need the Rite of Pants.